Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ok, so this old chestnut, virtual, physical or appliance for VCenter?

Moving to Vcenter 5 from 4.1 and we had it on a physical box (since it makes things easier for upgrades etc) but 'best practice' is having it virtualised apparently.

What do y'all do? Our enviroment has 2 ESXi servers with around 20 VMs on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ok, so backing up a VSphere 5.0 enviroment, 2 ESXi servers, ~20 machines.

Having to choose between Veeam, Commvault, VRanger (and symantic ahahaaha)

I am leaning heavily towards Veeam but my manager has heard great things about Commvault and wants to go with them

halp

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

quote =! edit

Alctel fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 14, 2012

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Maneki Neko posted:

If your environment is small, Veeam seems to work pretty well, but gets squirelly and terrible as things get bigger

Do you already have Commvault in place? It's kind of overkill to backup 2 VMWare servers.

How big is 'bigger?' We probably have about 3-4 TB of data (most of it on 2 file servers).

Agree on the commvault, but my manager wanted to look into it, he decided against it once he saw the cost

Misogynist posted:

Is there any reason you're not considering PHD Virtual? We're most likely switching over to them from Veeam in the next couple of weeks. (The stories I could tell you about Veeam.)

Never even heard of PHD - what problems did you have with Veeam?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PHD Virtual Backup users - The more I've been reading up on it the better choice over Veeam it seems - esp since it uses a virtual appliance as opposed to Veeams windows machine.

The only thing is that apparently Image level backup restores are pretty clunky in PHD and not that great, while in Veeam you can boot up a 'trial restore' straight off of the backup store and then vmotion it across which is miles better.

The thing is is that the version of PHD being review was 5.0 while the latest version is 5.4 - can those who use it let me know if the image level backup restores have been improved?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

What are y'all using for anti-virus for your virtualisation enviroments?

We have 3 ESXi 5 hosts with around 30 VMs on - we are also moving to a VMWare View solution for workstations with around 250 end users.

I was looking at the thing from mcaffee - anything else you'd suggest?

Alctel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 13, 2012

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mausi posted:

Getting into vShield and introspection based AV for such a small environment is probably overkill on the complexity and cost front - you'd almost certainly be better off using a standard AV product and managing your scan/update schedules.
We currently do normal AV for 5500 VDI machines in this manner, with only a few edge cases causing issues. A moderately well configured in-guest AV has a simple overhead which reduces the number of guests per host, but not by a massive amount.
I'm looking at a PoC for MOVE early next year, but couldn't tell you if we'll adopt from this far out; we're a very large and very conservative environment, so other cutting edge users might have a different take.

That should have been VMWare View for 250 users, not 50! I guess we should look at a standard AV product then.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

What's the easiest way to shrink a VMDK file? In the guest 2008R2 operating system, its only using 20gb out of the 120gb vmdk, the rest isn't even partitioned.

The disk was formatted using eager thick, and GPT so VMWare converter doesn't work.

Any ideas? I can't find anything online about this.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 27, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Holy poo poo that is GREAT timing - it was released just now as well by the looks of it!

Thanks!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So the vcenter/sphere 5.0 -> 5.1 migration is a pain? Sigh. I have to do that soon. At least it's a small environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Did the vcenter 5.0-->5.1 upgrade

using the simple installation

i think i've made a horrible mistake

edit: its a small environment (4 hosts) and I'm seriously considering just whacking the entire vcenter installation one weekend and installing the appliance instead.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 17, 2013