Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
If you use a view desktop with 1vCPU you are going to notice the all around sluggishness. At least on Windows 7.

Lots of servers go into production at our shop with 1 vCPU but no desktops. The performance is not acceptable even for the security computers who only search the phonebook.

This is with optimized by the book v5.0 linked clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warning
Feb 4, 2004

I don't know if this has been posted yet... but today I stumbled across a post on how to disable SSL for standalone converter 5. My block level p2v conversion times have easily been cut in half just by disabling SSL.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

echo465 posted:

Anyone using VMware View?

I'm using View 5.1 with a floating pool of Win7/32 desktops and PCoIP zero clients. Printers are deployed to users with the Windows print management console. The printers show up fine, users can print to them, but if they set their default printer to one of the deployed printers, it resets to the Microsoft XPS printer on their next logon.

How do I get it to keep the network printer as the default printer?

What are you using for user state persistence?

Roaming profiles? Persona management?

warning
Feb 4, 2004

I've been tooling around and managing to be the backup to a ~400 VM / 20 host environment for about 8 months now. I somehow got this far without ever getting into the nitty gritty of understanding ESX as an OS itself. Other than installing it and setting up management network I've been pretty content to just manage it via GUI.

Troubleshooting an issue where hostd is constantly crashing and not allowing you to connect via management software kind of forced my hand. Its escalated to engineering with vmware support at this point, so it seems like it was indeed over my head after all and I don't need to feel so bad.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

We don't have the license that has those features. I guess that is enterprise plus? So rebuilding hosts is still a few hours of labor.

This isn't the first time we have seen this issue so I have a feeling it is a product of our environment causing it. We rebuilt the last host (twice) to fix it. I had a feeling when the last host needed to be rebuilt the second time it was a persistent issue. Seeing it on another host just confirmed suspicions.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Do you have this hotfix installed?

The Win7 VMs will detect VMXNET devices as new hardware if you do not.

This is all over vmware documentation so most people have it, from what I've seen.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1020078

warning
Feb 4, 2004

skipdogg posted:

What's the best way to migrate a massive amount of data?

I have 1.4TB of data in a VM, and it needs to move from a west coast datacenter to the east coast. Wan links are 45mbit. I have all the goodies that come from VMware, Veeam, or external hdd and priority overnight shipping at our disposal.

I just migrated 12tb of servers across the US using veeam. Run a full backup copy the backup files to an external and ship overnight.

Setup dfsr over the wan link for block replication.

Shutdown the vm and run another veeam backup to generate a differential. Be sure its not setup to make a full because of the once a week on this day setting. As soon as the backup finishes copy the catalog file and delta vbk to the dfs share which will start replicating. Import everything on the other side and run a restore.

I even did a few where I didnt bother with deltas and prestaged a restore using an active full from a few days before. When the maintenance window hit I shutdown the source vm and fired up the new one. Could only take this approach for less than 10 of the 65 servers.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

I rolled out vCOps today, it took about 3 hours start to finish. This included reading the installation and user guide.

I also ponied up and took/passed that new VCA cert test for data center virtualization. It took considerably less time.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Mirage is cool as poo poo.

I haven't gotten into any of the new stuff. Our PoC ended when view was still on v5.0 and they were not pushing mirage then so my knowledge is somewhat dated. All i've heard on it was from EUC sales guys at our yearly meeting.

I assumed from attempting to get technical details out of the sales pitch, to use mirage you would need to image workstations with mirage from the start of the PCs lifecycle... is this correct?

We currently use MDT extensively and while mirage sounds cool if it involves nixing MDT and redoing everything in Mirage its not worth it.

I just don't see how it would be able to split a thick workstation into OS / App / User layers on its own and be able to update these layers individually if it wasn't designed to do this from the start.

This is currently on a long list of projects that are OK to start with any free time but I'm dreading upgrading view in general.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get a list of all the IPs in vcenter on hosts that do not have vmware tools installed? as far as I can tell, it's vmware tools that presents that information to the API, but there has to be a sideways way of getting that info. A powershell or perl vcli way of doing it would be optimal. Google is no help; I'm surprised no one has run into this before.

I'm guessing you could scrape the MACs assigned to the nics, then filter that through a mac report from the virtual switch. Or something.

I have a powercli script I wrote that will only return VMs that currently report that vmware tools is not installed.

Now since tools is not installed you could use this list of objects and feed it over the pipeline again to get mac addresses from the vm hardware. In our environment the VM name is the host name 99% of the time so you could also feed it nslookup or those new powershell dns commands that came with 8.1/powershell4.

Since it is tools that reports the IP back to the host and then vcenter... I don't think there is a direct way of getting that information from VMs without the tools installed.

If you think it would be useful I can dig up the powershell cli script for you, let me know.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Sorta there is a good overview of it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oY6OYd0gH0

MDT is good for a first on deploy, and can be locked down extensively with GPO's. Mirage basically lets users customize the image but always reverts it back to same state as the master image, high level it is sorta like deepfreeze if you are familiar with that. It also allows you to update one base image and push to clients to meet compliance without having to reside on GPO's for SW installs, scripts for customization, or other crap that might prompt a UAC prompt for users to update.

Where it differs is that you can carry profiles anywhere to another mirage based machine allowing for you to swap out machines and such without effecting what the end user is familiar with.

Thanks, I need more free time to give this a demo.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ova is like an open virtualization format file. Basically its a zipped up template that you can load on to multiple hypervisors.

For ESX connect to your host with the vsphere client and choose file -> deploy ovf template. Browse to your file and it will launch a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are delta VHDs supposed to balloon that fast? I've set up a fresh and up-to-date installation of Windows 8.1 in a VM, then created a checkpoint in Hyper-V. All I've done is fire up IE and go to Youtube's homepage, and the delta file is already 1.3GB.

Also, I was surprised to see that guest Windows knows that it's on a thin provisioned VHD and reacts accordingly. Not that I should have expected otherwise.

I've had linked clones on vmware running for like 6 months and deltas are 2Gb.

The page file is on a disposable disk that doesn't keep deltas though. Maybe that is where your growth is coming from.