Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How good are the save my server 1750s and whatnot?

I really need a home server for practicing new and exciting stuff but most servers I come across are expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Im thinking of beefing up my Desktop to do some home learning.

Is the main bottleneck for running VMs the hard drive speed?

I already have a nice quadcore CPU, but I'm loath to spend a lot on SSDs.

I just want to learn the ins/outs using ESXI and whatever, probably with virtualbox like in the OP.

Will I hate myself without them or would getting a couple more regular drives and tons of RAM be fine?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I know VMconverter lets you go physical to virtual, does it let you do the reverse as well?

I'm a retard/not too knowledgeable on it yet so this may be a stupid question.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I was checking through the VCP schools list in the OP, are any of those in Western PA near/in Pittsburgh? I don't see anything obviously in PA and Im new to the area and can't tell by the names alone.

If no one has a guess I'll just try asking VMware.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Are there online versions that count as the class requirement for the VCP?

I agree its retarded how you have to choose between CRASH COURSE CORPORATE MONEY BLEED 2k12 versus take forever CC.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm in the same boat and can teach myself poo poo but thats useless if I can't fulfillt he classroom requirement. I don't think anyone teaches it around here anyway, plus I don't really have time since, you know, I have a loving job.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah I checked everything and there is gently caress all around here besides the fast track/5 day courses that are $3495 and up.

Ugh.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm messing around with ESXI, finally. But I'm wanting to test more of the networking and clustering.

But I'm a bit limited on processing/space, is there a super slim linux distro or anything like it out there that just has basic networking, a shell and a few other features that is also very small in terms of disk space and other overhead?

I mostly just want to test networking numerous machines together and that sort of thing without installing larger OS's like Windows servers etc.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm reading through that EMC storage book because I don't know that much about storage hardware. While I find the more practical aspects about NAS/SAN easy to pick up, a lot of the extra details I find a bit involved.

Do I really give a poo poo about the frames in a SAN that much down to what each set of bytes is doing?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I suppose. I meant more along the lines of how often would you use such knowledge?

For instance, I can set up networks and have an intermediate understanding of how it works, but I couldn't tell you the exact structure of a packet because it almost never relates to the tasks I tend to be doing.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I just ordered 2 SSDs and 16gb of RAM (32 was out of my range), can't wait to have my home lab not suck!!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a vCenter iso/installer package for a trial version somewhere on the vmware site? I cannot dig the thing up for the life of me and I want to install it under Win2k8 Server.

When I login to myvmware or whatever it says I can't download the iso for vCenter server with everything on it and I can't seem to enable any kind of evaluation anywhere.

This is just for a home lab.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

vSphere != vCenter ?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Has anybody used the vCenter Server Appliance here?

I like deploying from the OVF and instantly having it set up along with an embedded database (this is a practice environment) but the web interface seems to be unresponsive/slow as balls. Is this normal? I can connect it via vSphere no problem, but something about seems clunky like I either did something wrong or its just bad. And its not like my system is slowing it down.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah I dont care about updates for a home lab, I just want to work with vSphere/vMotion etc and get cranking but the appliance runs like poo poo in the web interface. Maybe I just need to give it more resources.

And this is connecting to it on a VMnetwork (VMnet2 or one of those) in workstation from a VM Win 7 machine.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Those who have taken the VCP5 exam, were there a lot of limits questions on it like "what is the max number of VMs per host etc?"

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ok cool, I have a guide with all kinds of maximums on it and I was like who gives a poo poo about these because really I can look them up on the off chance I have a need to install 50 floppy drives.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a newer tech preview out for workstation? The one from July is expired now and I would like to keep using workstation.

I searched but can't find a key or anything.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I just signed up for another 30 day trial, I guess that will have to hold me for now.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for VCP5 study notes that follow the blue print/have good links to the vmware documentation within?

I found these notes http://vinfrastructure.it/en/certifications-on-virtualization/vcp/vcp5/ but the links in the PDF only work in HTTP format and the ones that are supposed to link to documentation are broken :(

None of the others listed seem ideal. I have the mastering vsphere book as well but its always nice to follow the vendor blueprint along with additional notes from people.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm surprised they don't make a custom Linux appliance with vSphere on it that you can load up, say in a VM and then use that to manage everything, which frees them up from Windows installs.

They could probably expand the vCenter appliance similarly.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

mstsc is poo poo get a tabbed client you cavemen.

I use multidesk and its really simple and nice.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

:lol: when I google searched a long time ago for tabbed RDP that doesn't even come up. Good job microsoft.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a good online resource for jumping into Xen Server? I have some knowledge of VMware but I'm going to start a job where everything is hosted on Xen Server so welp.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is anyone here a Xen expert?

I am trying to use the xe CLI to get basic info about various servers. However, despite using the right credentials I continually get an authentication failed.

I am running a command like this:

code:
xe -s 10.10.12.29 -u root -pw SOMEPASSWORD vm-list
After a few seconds I get an authentication failed message. I can definitely ping the servers and they are working etc. I can use xe just fine from the consoles themselves but that is no good to me since I want to be able to script a bunch of stuff and do things remotely.

XenCenter works fine on the machine I am trying this from, I don't understand what the gently caress is going on. The logs on the target machine show that a connection was established but says nothing about failure. The workstation is a W2k8 server going to various hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nev posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I can't find a good answer using Google. I have disabled defragmentation in every Windows guest OS since it is not meant to be of any use, but what about Linux operating systems? Should the occasional fsck on boot be disabled as well?

I was under the impression you don't need to defrag under linux.