Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Since we're speaking of the hardware side, is there any way to use my laptop as a VGA KVM for hooking up to hosts? Like a USB dongle with a VGA Input with USB Virtual KVM?

I've never had a situation where there wasn't a spare monitor and Keyboard mouse in a server room, but it would be nice not to have to locate these items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Whoa, niiice. Yes that is what I was talking about. awesome, now to justify the cost!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

DevNull posted:

Yeah, I actually tried the USB-serial on my Macbook Air first, and couldn't get any drivers to work. I am not installing linux on an old box that has a serial port. I guess I need to find a laptop with a serial port.

I wrangled with this a bit and found a combination that works for me. I've been using a rMBP on mavericks without a crash, but admittedly I don't run faster than 9600 bps.
This one uses the FTDI chip AND has pinout lights, woooo
http://smile.amazon.com/GearMo%C2%AE-RS-232-Adapter-Indicators-Support/dp/B00AHYJWWG

with the FTDI drivers
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

which I learned about from this site
http://pbxbook.com/other/mac-tty.html

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people have an opinion one way or the other on the Windows cluster-in-a-box products like the Fujitsu CX420? One SKU gets you the chassis, two nodes, shared storage, and 2x Windows Server Datacenter licenses.

It looks like a decent option for SMB virtualisation where the requirements are perhaps for lots of application servers rather than heavy DB loads or VDI, etc. Other than the obvious lack of expansion without buying a SAN, am I missing anything?

I've played with a VRTX, they are mighty cool. I would recommend it for anyone who needs a smaller cluster. The footprint reduction alone makes it attractive and it has a lot of nice redundancy features. Obviously you still need somewhere to move VMs if you need to power off the chassis.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I was going to post that this options disables the controller cache, but it seems that as of two days ago they put out firmware that fixes that. It's actually a viable option now.

Does this fix also make them hot-swappable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Wicaeed posted:

What kinds of companies are heavily invested in VMware?

Anyone using computers in manufacturing has already decided on their highly available solution.

My parent company is already invested in the Microsoft Ecosystem, so even though we want to use VMware we have to use Hyper-V.

We still end up using VMware workstation and fusion for portables, because of the whole "no local USB" thing until your HyperV host is W8.1 and running a V2 guest.