Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Long shot here: I have been traveling for the last 7 months and have a couple more to go before settling temporarily in Australia. I plan to get my VCP prior as I can take the course for much cheaper in India; unfortunately I only have my laptop with 4gb (though it does have an SSD) which makes it drat difficult to setup a lab. Does anyone know of any remote resources which allow access for practice? The few I have found are incredibly expensive.

Otherwise I have to call in some favors which I would rather save, or pickup some overpriced RAM in Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I'd probably do this Online Live... I'm not seeing an in person class here in San Antonio anytime for the rest of the year. I did my SCCM training with that Online Live format and it wasn't terrible. Lots of downtime though waiting for other folks to roll through the labs. 2 Grand is a big price difference for the extra 10 hours of instruction.

ICM is garbage and not worth the money if you can read and aren't getting the cert. Also, apparently there are some items covered in the fast track course that are not really gone into great detail in ICM (as most of the technical questions I asked were considered out of scope but the instructor did mention that they were covered in FT).

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

CanOfMDAmp posted:

So I'm currently tasked with rolling out a vSphere implementation on a relatively small scale. We're hoping to build something of an IaaS system with the ability for users to create and destroy their own machines as they see fit. It will be used for major testing, but no production work will be necessary. As I understand it, vCloud Director does not have all of the features Lab Manager did, including the LiveLink capability. Is this incorrect, and has it been replaced by something else? Having the ability to quickly share machines between dev/test would be a major timesaver, and something we really require if we're going to make this transition.

Further, in terms of hardware specifications for something like 64 concurrent machines, am I aiming too low by buying Dell tower server hardware in the $12k-15k range? I was thinking just one dedicated storage machine, with a computing machine for the processing. Just a rough estimate, and I can give more concrete numbers if you guys would have more insight then.

I'll be picking up some more reading material on vSphere this weekend and getting my knowledge of this up-to-date, but I was hoping to get just some preliminary response before jumping into anything.
Vcd can do this. You'll need to provide more information regarding vm specs/utilization for sizing, the number of vms has no bearing in this scenario.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

I haven't had any problems with VDP since it actually became VDP...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Any of you running any sort of IDPS system, or vmsafe application (Trend, Hytrust, Catbird, etc.)? Anyone doing it in a multi-tenant capacity?

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Couple questions. I'm looking to virtualize a DC (only one on the network, so no worries about AD replication or etc), but read a lot of conflicting information/recommendations.

First, while I'm pretty sure it's safe, is there any danger to a source machine in doing a hot migration? Essentially, I want to test the conversion process without stopping services- I don't care if the resulting vm is transactionally consistent for the test, but I do want to make sure the conversion process isn't invasive enough to kill any services or bring the system to its knees.

Second, I see a lot recommendations for doing a cold migration, but apparently VMWare killed off their cold boot discs quite a while ago (somewhere around 4.1?). Is it worth using an old migration technique or will a "warm" migration be fine?

Why? It is almost never worth it, and far easier to just build/promote/demote. Unless you are running 2012 for some reason and can take advantage of VM-Generation ID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Should have been more specific, it's a SBS2011 server, so I don't believe I can do a standard demote/promote.

Speaking to the "hot" migration, I was talking specifically about doing it just to test out the conversion - the VM wouldn't ever be hooked up to the production environment. My concern was if the "hot" migration might create problems on the production server.

So like I said, other my concern was if a cold clone off of the 4.1 convertor would be problematic given it's fairly out of date.

I have had some nightmare experiences P2V SBS2008. I would do this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg563798.aspx