Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I'm running vmware essentials (4.1)
Is there an easy way to monitor the IOPS being use by individual VMs in an ESXi setup? something that will show average and peak or better some sort of high utilization average metric. (someway to filter out the spikes and nighttime when the box isn't doing anything)

Basically I have a dell r610 with 4x300 SAS in Raid10 with two hosts and I want to make sure one host get's at least 50% of the IOPS so i'd like to throttle down the other so it maxes out at around 50%

Also does anyone have any experience with something like the thecus 8900 and or the QNAP 879 as a iSCSI NAS for lower utilization VMs or VM Drives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
What are you upgrading to? It sucks

Moey posted:

I currently have 4 Qnap TS-809U-RP in my work environment. Have not really had any complaints with them (after they were setup properly).

What questions did you specifically have?

are you running VMs off them? I have a synology ds1010 that I use as a backup target for backup exec which is great except the backexec part), but even a relatively low requirements win 7 VM was too slow to bother with.
What did setting up the QNAPs properly consist of?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

Moey posted:

We are. iSCSI for all of them. They started out as our primary shared storage for VMs, and we are slowly migrating now to two Dell MD3220i (two separate clusters). Performance isn't anything to write home about, but between the four units, we are running around 45 VMs without any major complaints (nothing extremely IO intensive).

My old boss had the networking to "Port Trunking" with Balance-rr (Round-Robin). When we had this enabled, it would cap our throughput at around 10 megs. Switching to Balance XOR brought us to around 110 megs.

Never had any huge issues. They do have alot of FW updates, so make sure you update to something recent (the newest for us had issues, so we are one version back (3.6)).

We have also just started using Veeam to do backups of all our VMs, which is also being stored on these. No problems with that either.

My one complaint on these (809u) is that they do not support jumbo frames. And also you cannot add in 10gb networking. We purchased a 1079 to test with, which does support 10gb, so moving forward for cheap shared storage, we may go with those.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it's worth the extra bucks for an QNAP 879 over an 859 or a thecus N8900 over an 8900V given that the next step up seems to be something like the dell md3220i type thing which is out of my budget and since we only run a couple of hosts and 6-8 VMs two of which are high I/O and will need to stay on local storage anyway.

Another couple quick host storage questions:
For a dell 610 with 6X SAS is RAID6 the most desirable drive config? I have a 610 with 4 drives in RAID10?
How much performance is lost to ESXi (4.1) with local drives over running the OS on bare metal?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
what's the easiest cheapest way to to do backups of VMs under essentials (4.1). I have client backup exec on the main servers, but ideally I'd also like to backup the whole VMs to a NAS on a daily or weekly basis.

I'm also curious about what the overhead is writing from an ESXi host to local VMFS storage. (Current hosts are R610s with whatever the best control dell ships and 10K SAS drives.)

Still wondering about the best sub 3k NAS to pick up is for a couple of low utilization VMs.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

bob arctor posted:

what's the easiest cheapest way to to do backups of VMs under essentials (4.1). I have client backup exec on the main servers, but ideally I'd also like to backup the whole VMs to a NAS on a daily or weekly basis.

I'm also curious about what the overhead is writing from an ESXi host to local VMFS storage. (Current hosts are R610s with whatever the best control dell ships and 10K SAS drives.)

Still wondering about the best sub 3k NAS to pick up is for a couple of low utilization VMs.

its just essentials w/o a decent san which looks like it would be about 20K minimum I didn't really see a big advantage in essentials plus. I've read various bits and pieces about stuff like ghetto VCB and the like and I was wondering about the real world feasibility of these.

We have a couple of more "mission critical" systems coming which I haven't decided if I should host on site or not (a CRM and an MS NAV instance) There's a bunch of politics and bullshit as to where to host it, and while I'd rather not have it on site it might become the infinitely more sane choice, but if it is I'll definitely need to implement some HA. As right now I can restore any of the servers in a half day, but if the CRM and financial stuff is on site that might not be acceptable.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

Bitch Stewie posted:

The words "Mission Critical" and cheap NAS or SAN don't sit too well with me.

What I would look at is a pair of solid boxes with RAID10 DAS and depending on budget either run a VSA on them (HP P4000 or VMware VSA) or use the DAS with Veeam doing replication from one box to the other - you don't get HA but if the box running critical VM's shits itself you just fire up the replica on the second box.

I'd be wary of dropping in a cheap NAS box as IMO you're combining the worst of all worlds in that you'll probably have it hooked up to two cheap switches, and most of the cheap NAS vendors don't do proper on-site support like HP or Dell would.

I'm just checking things out right now, I feel I need a new NAS, however I don't want to get something half cocked when if we bring the CRM/Financials software onto in-house servers then I'll need to do it a bit more serious. I'm hoping that we can colo with a partner org who has a bit more infrastructure. That said hardware wise right now I have a couple of dual proc dell r610s with 32 and 48 gigs of RAM one has 4 10K SAS drives in RAID 10 The other has 6 in RAID 6. I also have a couple of older HP350's for testing/a physical domain controller in case something in VMWare shits the bed badly.

I do have a synology DS1010+ which I use as an intermediary backup exec target so as to keep the most recent couple of critical backups online if needed. Then I batch copy the Backup exec files to offsite storage. I've run test servers off the synology over iSCSI and while for something really low utilization it'll do the job 35MB/sec doesn't quite cut it.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
I'm trying to set up a ghetto VCB backup solution for VMs on my Essentials setup.

My setup
VMWare Essentials 4.1
3 hosts Dell r610s with local SAS storage
8 VMs server 2k8 and win7 and a vMA vm
Synology 1010+ with 4 gigs of RAID5
Servers are already backed up with BE 2012 on the VMs

I've configured vMA and made gotten ghettovcbg2 running to the point where I can create a vmlist file and those VMs backed up to an iSCSI Datastore from one host, and even successfully booted the backup.

My questions:
What's the best way to do the setup on NAS side to allow all 3 hosts to connect?
Should I just connect all 3 hosts to the same iSCSI target or should i say gently caress iSCSI and use NFS shares. (i have no idea about the performance difference between the two when it comes to VMWare)

Ideally I'd like the ability to run the backup of the NAS in an emergency, however it's far more likely that i'd just move the VM onto local storage in the case I have to recover things.

If I can get this going as a POC then I'll pickup a QNAP 859/879 to add to the rack as the target for the ghetto vcb backups.

EDIT: After some dicking around in vcenter I got things set up correctly. It seems the same datastore is now working with all hosts and the gVCB is backing things up cleanly.

Somehow I think synology is confusing their big Bs and little bs here.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 4, 2012

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
i'm running a laserfiche avante server (document management) under ESXi 4.1, currently it's the only server on a Dual CPU 10K SAS RAID 10 dell 610. Both it and SQL server express which runs the lf database sit on the same vm. There's certain areas involving writes to the SQL db that are absolutely atrocious performance wise. The LF support team says that it's because I'm running on ESXi, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense since the laser fiche server used to share the host with an sbs server which was using 10x the disk read/write bandwidth, and moving the SBS server to a new host made no performance difference on the laserfiche server. Personally I think it's the fact the laserfiche server is running SQL express and running into built in performance limits, but i don't really know how to prove that.

One note for people looking at document image management software avoid the gently caress out of laser fiche.

Oops I guess my question is: is it likely that that this is an ESXi issue?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

Nebulis01 posted:

SQL Server Express is limited to 1GB RAM usage, it's the major performance restriction remaining . If you hit that limit you swap directly to disk and your performance tanks. Can you move the database to a trial/demo of a full SQL instance and see if you experience the same issues?

SQL Express Limits:

1CPU (4cores)
1GB RAM (SQL DB Engine)
10GB DB File size

Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993%28v=SQL.110%29.aspx

Yeah, I'm going to try it though I have this horrid feeling that our laserfiche license is limited to sql express, so i'd be looking at an insane amount of money.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=862&c=355&sc=703&t=706&n=4789

or one with more drives might do what you need, it's got redundant PSUs and dual controllers are possible (of course that's not saying it's anything like enterprise but it's nothing like enterprise costs either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
How can I clone a single snapshot of an ESXi VM without reverting back to it?

Essentials 4.1 and the VM is on local storage? I do have the vMA appliance with ghettoVCB installed if there's a way to do it through that. I know it essentially does this with it's backup procedure but I'm not sure how to trick it into backing up the existing snapshot and if I don't have to hack something together out of that code for a one off thing i'd much prefer it.