Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah, if you go to the IP of your host in a web browser it will have a link to download the client. That doesn't cost you anything. The only things you will pay for are the vSphere Server and whatever licensing for the hosts + features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You mean vCenter.

Yeah, I can never seem to keep the names straight...

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I was going over pricing for stuff and it was a terrible morning since every other sentence I was saying when trying to explain to a coworker was a mouthful. Though one of the vendors I talked to kept on calling the Remote Office and Branch Office license the ROBO license. Beep.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

SSH :v: That's one good thing about not being a Windows shop.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I was wondering why this thread exploded in posts. I'm finally getting actual licenses for our one-off servers out in the world. No more directly connecting to them and more having them all in our vCenter Server or whatever the gently caress its called. The ROBO license is a pretty awesome deal.

edit: we also got some some r620s in and theyre pretty slick except for having to take the entire riser card out to remove/add an expansion card not on that riser. Also the plastic screws...

doomisland fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 28, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I believe its 32GB per socket, so if you have a dual socket server like a R620 or whatever you can have up to 64 GB. Technically you can have more I think since it takes the total amount across all licensed hosts and it cant be more than 192GB across 6 sockets but maybe that is just for standard or enterprise and not essentials.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Misogynist posted:

The very concept of virtual RAM per physical socket doesn't even make sense.

I meant vRAM added to the pool per license which is per socket. Reading the VMware site it looks like I was correct. The vRAM entitlement per CPU/Socket for essentials is 32GB or 192GB total if you're using all 6 licenses.

edit: Reading the white paper each VM can have up to 96GB of RAM.

doomisland fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 13, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Has anyone used Veeam for their monitoring tools? I know people are hit and mostly miss on their backup products but wondering about their other offerings.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

God Bless America and the defeat of the Axis of Memory Limits.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

DNS owns come at me. It's funny how much it matter yet so many people don't understand how it works or even what a fqdn is.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yo, are there any examples of a VMware hypervisor getting exploited from a guest? Or for that matter reasons it shouldn'tcan't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Goon Matchmaker posted:

If you can't throw an entire controller at the VM you want to do raid and you can't do RDMs then yes, a datastore per disk is about the best I think you'll be able to do.

It shouldn't happen but my boss tells me of an exploit where a windows guest could be used to read the memory of other guests. Here's a list of vulnerabilities...

Thanks for the link. Yeah we don't run Windows boxes on any VMs. I ask because we're probably gonna put a guest OS onto the internet without a condom :)