Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How are all you cool kids getting VSAN licenses for home lab use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

big money big clit posted:

I work for a VMware partner.

Ok, but for the rest of us peons? I work for a fortune 200 and we have an ELA but am not sure how to pitch it to management to pay for my at home fuckery.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is there any supported method of seeding a new VSAN cluster via a usb device? We ship servers to remote sites directly from Dell and need some way to get hundreds of gigs of data onto the newly built cluster . In the past for non-vm servers we have shipped usb drives but getting a usb device to be usable storage under ESXi seems to be super hacky. I have seen methods of formatting a usb device as vmfs but it has been nothing but buggy since i have been working with it.

We can install ESXi without issue by booting to little usb thumbdrives to kick off the hypervisor installer but onces it up and connected to vcenter we cant find a way to get our images to the datastore and the subsequent wsus and software deployment data required for our fild servers.

Thoughts?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm nowhere near an expert anymore, but failing anything else, I'd pass the drive through to a VM and SCP the data over to one of the connected hosts via the Tech Support Mode SSH server. Unless you've got huge sparse files, I don't think there's any particular reason you would need to use VMFS on your removable media -- just download the disks and VMX files.

Thats the rub, I can passthrough an NTFS formatted usb drive to a new VM but now what? The usb drive isn't bootable, the new VM is blank and because of usbarbitrator I cant see anything on the usb device from esxi itself. Also it seems ESXi has no real USB support aside from passthrough. It doesnt even have 'mount'.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

1) Motherboard recommendations for a home ESXi host? Also, is the onboard rain controller in whatever the answer to #1 adequate or should I be looking at additional pci-x controllers?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Moey posted:

What year is it?

Edit:

Look into ASRock Rack if you actually want a server board, then eBay for a used supported CPU.

You know what i meant guys. (pcie)

I don't really need a "server" board, do I? Im not planning on any crazy workloads, just want to be as esx conpatible as possible.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

anthonypants posted:

"as esx conpatible as possible" would be a server board, yes.

...this is a really good point.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Back to my original question, there is a ton of xeon boards out there. Anything specific to look for/avoid?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

We got any VSAN people in here? I keep running into pain in the rear end issues when trying to replace a failed HDD/SSD in a VSAN disk group. Basically, a disk will fail and for whatever reason I can't remove the disk in the VSAN disk management pane. Progress just sits at 0% and then eventually fails with "can't write partition" Yea dude, I know, The disk is failed, Im trying to get rid of it. This happens regardless of the evacuation method i use (I usually just do no evac since the disk group is dead anyways in the event of an SSD (cache) failure".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If I want to build a new homelab server running esxi and also have a ton of disks am I setting myself up for suffering by passing the sata disks to a VM running freenas? The disks I would be passing to freenas would be slower spinning disks and the VMs would be running on a separate SSD. I also considered doing hardware raid but in 2020 that seems kind of old school and not as flexible but I am just kicking around ideas. I really don't know what other options I have to gain disk redundancy while also running esxi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Rexxed posted:

I like to keep the data storage and vms on separate machines but I've seen plenty of people do exactly what you're suggesting without problem.

Zfs on freenas and present nfs to esxi...is that sane?