Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sounds like Docker is a closer fit than Virtualbox or Workstation for your case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I've just started playing around with openstack and here's a few notes:

• trystack.org seems hosed, like instances in "scheduling" for 20+ hours
  • RDO Quickstart is great to get a small stack up with
  • Mirantis packaging of Fuel is pretty nice, especially their virtualbox scripts
  • Devstack doesn't seem to work at all in CentOS 6.5, FC20 or Ubuntu.
  • Trying to run any size of cluster on my macbook with 8G memory wasn't really possible, so I rented a server off OVH (SoYouStart) for this.
  • You can make a floating IP range work with routed IPs on OVH with Packstack by following these instructions
  • Packer seems broken working with openstack and rackspace. I'm currently trying to learn Go to fix this.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

minato posted:

The missing piece that I've seen no-one mention is CoreOS. It's a minimal Docker-focused Linux made for easy clustering. It doesn't even have a package manager. You add functionality to it via Docker containers. This means all your hosts or VMs can run the same OS, and having a homogenous set of VMs where the apps are containers instead of installed directly onto the box makes life much easier for Ops.

This sounds like Solaris Zones.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ugh I really don't feel like signing up for a beta just to see if one feature is there. Anyone in, please blink once if VUM still requires windows or twice if I can fully switch to using VCSA.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I just applied for the beta. Is there a good guide to setting up a smallish VMware cluster on a single host for testing purposes?
And is there a small form-factor machine I can set up a lab on (mac mini, intel NUC sized) easily?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Docjowles posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Your problems sound like they're storage related.

Nice, you've condensed half of the posts in SH/SC into one thread.

The other half is "blame the network"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The web client is a piece of poo poo, which is a shame when it could be much better and actually useable.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Make everything in LVM so you can easily grow the partitions later.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Thanks guys I started googling up some of the stuff mentioned and it looks like it will me out. Sorry for not being specific, but I need to make Ubuntu and CentOS server images. My predecessor who didn't do any of this poo poo said never use LVM for virtual machines but I'll take your word for it.

If you don't use LVM you need to do fun stuff like nuking and re-creating the partition table live instead of just pvcreate / vgextend / lvresize / resize2fs. Nuking and recreating works, most of the time, if you're just growing the VMDK and the partition you want to expand is the last on the VMDK, but I wouldn't rely on it.

DHCP+kickstart/preseed is easy with something like cobbler or foreman

evol262 posted:

Stagger cronjobs (you don't need to disable m/slocate, but make sure they don't all kick off at the same time on all systems; same for yum-cron or apt's equivalent). Use paravirt or host-accelerated devices where possible, even if it means you need VMware tools by default.

Wisdom. We had huge IO issues until we started splaying our search engine reindex jobs so they didn't all kick off exactly every 5 minutes.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

And here I was thinking "DSL" meant "Domain-specific Language", not "drat Small Linux", which made DAF's post make even less sense.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Get a new PSU from HP?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ah, I thought the PSUs were fine, but filling the IML log. nvm.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Moey posted:

Did you hate their rail system? And by their, I assume supermicro.

I'm so happy we have integrators that build our racks for us, I could never put up with that. Especially after I managed to cut myself on a couple fat twin blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Do the Oracle rails support anything?

Yes but you need a license per cage-nut.