Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Erwin posted:

Question about VMware View pricing. Is it literally only $190/desktop for existing vSphere customers as claimed on this page?: http://www.vmware.com/products/view/howtobuy.html

I figured I'd start looking at View towards the end of the year when I have time because I figured it had an initial buy-in of several thousand dollars at least. Is it really just linearly priced on a per-desktop basis?

The "existing customers" is if you want the add-on licenses- e.g. you have free capacity on your existing regular vSphere clusters and want to run desktops on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

At first I thought you were talking out of your rear end, but I ended up checking and sure enough each Datacenter 2012 licenses now covers 2 cpu packages per host instead of one. That's going to save me some money.

As for cost savings with VMware, they can be there with very large installations because you're going to get a better consolidation ratios which is going to reduce rack space, hardware, and power/cooling load. For a small/medium shop where a handful of hosts can handle everything, that probably won't be significant compared to the savings of just virtualizing on anything to begin with.

Surprise, the 2012 DC licenses cost twice as much as 2008 ones, and were traded on a 2:1 ratio when upping from 2008->2012 on SA.

quote:

If you have Software Assurance on Datacenter edition, you will be entitled to Windows Server 2012 Datacenter edition. Today, a Datacenter license covers up to 1 processor. A Windows Server 2012 Datacenter license will cover up to 2 processors. So for every two current Datacenter licenses with Software Assurance, you will receive one Windows Server 2012 Datacenter edition license.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/d/b/4db352d1-c610-466a-9aaf-eef4f4cfff27/ws2012_licensing-pricing_faq.pdf

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

skipdogg posted:

It's been a while, as we stopped using our RSA system, but I think if you can get the original seed file for your token you can install the soft token in multiple places. I recall having the softtoken on my laptop and my phone and either one could be used.

The distributed token file may optionally contain information to lock it to a single host (I believe this is based on the serial of the HD the token store resides on for Win/OSX tokens, unless you're using some other storage like a USB token). If your org is using this they would have asked you for the DeviceSerialNumber (which you can find in the software token application under Options > Token Storage Devices) when you requested the token.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

adorai posted:

Can you use iSCSI inside the guest? That's how we get around this issue.

You'd still get limited by the src/dst load balancing schemes unless the storage had multiple IPs and you had multiple LUNs.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

adorai posted:

Well, yes. In the described scenario, you can put 4 interfaces on the storage backend and get 4gbps to your backend storage with iSCSI and MPIO. You cannot say the same with NFS backed storage, no matter what you do you will still only get 1gbps from that guest OS to it's database.

edit: I suppose you could create multiple VMDKs on multiple datastores which are mapped with different IPs, and raid them in the guest to get >1gbps via NFS, but that seems a little over the top.

Moral of this story, just run 10GbE.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Is it ok to admit I love vDS'es mostly because I'm lazy?

Anyone that doesn't admit to that is a liar. IT as a whole is driven by laziness.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

parid posted:

What am I missing with ucs? It seems 10-15% more expensive and the only tangible benefit for my esxi hosts seems to be faster os setup and simpler cabling both of which only impact day 1 of setup. How are other pepper find value to justify the expense. Judging purely by their customers, i think there is just something I'm missing.

Need to upgrade firmware? Spend an hour with an HP firmware DVD moving server to server? With UCS apply a new firmware bundle to the server and set it to apply at next reboot. Reboot hosts during maintenance window and enjoy your bugfixed firmware.

Unified fabric also gives some nice approaches for hardware sparing (assuming you use boot from SAN). The FC WWNs and Ethernet MACs are part of the blade 'personality'. So whereas before you may have had an extra VMware host in each of 2-3 clusters so provide your N+2 availability (so you can maintain N+1 when you put a host in maint mode) and another blade as a cold spare for Oracle RAC (or something else compute heavy) with UCS you can maintain 1 or 2 of those redundant servers and move it around as needed. This also lends itself well to quick upgrades if you have spare hardware of a higher spec in your chassis, power off old server, reapply personality to a higher spec one, power on.

Of slightly less interest, assuming you're using VICs, you can add a new SAN fabric as a vSAN and present it to servers without having to add physical HBAs (just present a new vHBA to the server). Server can have HBAs in old and new vSANs, migrate data from old SAN to new, remove old vHBAs and decommission old fabric (useful if you have to return ex-lease stuff and don't want the 2 fabrics to touch at all).

Separate NICs for iSCSI/NFS, Frontend, and vMotion traffic? No problem. You can even apply QoS to them, in case you want to guarantee your vMotion traffic exactly 2.5gbps. Want to limit a specific application? Present a new pair of vNICs to your ESX host and apply a 100mbps policy to it.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

It is 2003, so not modern. Thank you for the quick link I'll check there!

It's not NT4 with the PDC/BDC design, it's modern.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Moey posted:

So how is everyone else handling multiple View Connection servers?

We have two main sites currently each with a connection server. Right now all thin/zero clients are pointed at their respective connection server.

Ideally I would like to have one DNS entry that does either round robin DNS or NLB between the connection servers so I can do maintenance/changes without disruption.

I am thinking Microsoft NLB is the way to go?

NLB is supported for availability of the connection servers, not sure how it'd work cross site without shared layer 2. I'd avoid DNS unless you're all floating pools that refresh at logoff.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

We aren't that small and there's really no excuse for nickel and diming the infrastructure except that we're a non-profit and anything more than $5k has to be approved by the board.

Thanks for the input on the licensing and the unsolicited career advice. I'm going to put off upgrading from 5.0 until we upgrade our storage from RAID 5 SATA drives and have working backups of all the VMs, not just the most important ones. :toot:

If you're a qualifying non profit (501 c(3), d-f, or k) you should be able to get around a 40-50% discount through a partner e.g. http://www.ccbnonprofits.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=2000000085

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

dj_pain posted:

The lowest price I've found is $1100AU per host. :australia:

Essentials (not Essentials Plus) is 821 AUD with first year support

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Why involve View or vCD (unless they're part of the test)? It's unlikely you'd need more than 1 or 2 environments at a time, I'd just set it up with a jump box which has all the tools and has RDP open to the world, set the VMs for auto power on, shut the whole thing down and snapshot it. Then revert and boot it whenever you need it. If your security guys are willing you could even ask them for their IP ahead of time and lock RDP down to their IP instead of leaving it open.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

theperminator posted:

I don't think you can run OSX under ESXI on a mac anyway, it requires the hypervisor to virtualise access to the hardware TPM in a mac, so you might need to use fakesmc.kext to get it to work

5.1 had an issue emulating the SMC which was fixed in an engineering special (released in a thread on the communities forum), 5.5 shows support for desktop and server up to 10.8.5, install instructions here:
http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/MacOSX_10_8.html

Requires Mac hardware (for licensing compliance only I think).

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

1000101 posted:

I don't think we've ever let an order get held up for an embedded USB drive. Who were you using for distribution?

I blame commerce workspace for this, as soon as you add a part which needs to be installed before the product ships (and isn't a required item) it pushes the estimated ship date out 3 weeks.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

At work, someone is building a server that for reasons I can't even guess at, requires a modem. Analog thing you plug a phone line into. Fortunately, an external USB modem should be sufficient.

I know you can build a VM and do USB passthrough, and you can vMotion the guest to different hosts while keeping the physical USB device associated with that guest (as long as you don't suspend or power down the guest). But what if the host with the external USB device dies? Is it possible to have a second host with an identical/similar USB modem connected, and have VMware connect the backup USB device to the guest?

(I don't have much access to our VMware environment aside from managing the guests for which I'm responsible, so I can't really explore this. Our local VMware expert thinks it's impossible, but I don't always trust him.)

Digi AnywhereUSB or similar USB over IP/Ethernet product should work.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Is there an easy way to get serial console access on ESXi / vCenter 5? I don't need a VGA console access usually, just serial to my linux guests would be dandy.

Otherwise I RDP in to a windows macine from my mac to run vCenter client and the experience sucks rear end since it tends to repeat keys, especially when typing the root password.

You can add a serial port to the guest, with a specific port, but if you have multiple hosts and vMotion you'll need to punch firewall holes everywhere (since you connect via ESXi management network) and find the host where the guest is at. So if you have a decent size environment you may want to set up a vSPC (virtual serial port concentrator), which you just need to add an outbound firewall rule on the ESXi hosts to let them connect to the vSPC, then your clients connect to that.

https://github.com/isnotajoke/vSPC.py if you're looking for a free vSPC server.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Moey posted:

Anything special to note when doing a vCenter upgrade where View is involved as well?

I took over a two jacked up vSphere/View environments a while back. One was 4.1 and one 5.0.
Got everything moved over to the 5.0 environment and then got View upgrade to 5.3.
Now looking to get vCenter upgraded to 5.5 so I can get my hosts updated as well.

I am throwing together a little test environment now to do a test run on the vCenter 5.0 to 5.5 jump, but not sure if I should build a little View lab in there as well (probably should...).

If you're using View Composer it can be picky about the vCenters it talks to (check the interop matrix).

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Running your vSphere server. 2012 only from what I can tell in the release notes. I expected update 2 to add in R2 support but all I got was SQL 2014 instead.

Compatibility guide says 2012R2 is supported in 5.5u2 (actually supported from 5.5u1)

http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...g=17&bookmark=1

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

Does VMware offer something like KVM "Backing disks" (something my coworker calls them).

Basically they work as a stateless disk that allows multiple VM's to be spun up from a single master disk, but as soon as they are powered off, revert back to the original state.

Linked clones do something similar to this. They can't be provisioned through the client AFAIK, but you can script it with powershell: http://michlstechblog.info/blog/vmware-vsphere-create-a-linked-clone-with-powercli/

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Kalenden posted:

At the moment, I've only configured a single network adapter for the VM, a NAT.

Use a bridged NIC instead, and don't bother with static IPv6 addresses, if you have working v6 with a router sending RAs your autoconfig IPv6 address will be 'static' anyway since it's based on your MAC.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Kalenden posted:

Can anybody give a foolproof description on how to do this? To reiterate: a Ubuntu VM that moves between networks a lot and that I can reach from anywhere. Preferably with an IPv6 address.

When you say 'from anywhere', do you mean that no matter what layer 2 network you're attached to you'll be able to access the VM from other hosts in that layer 2 network? Or do you mean any host on the Internet should be able to access the VM despite where it's powered on?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Kalenden posted:

The second. Preferably, devices not on the same network should be able to reach the VM.

Get a VPS and tunnel out from the VM to the VPS, then set up NAT. This seems like a pretty odd request and could cause some problems with security policies at some places, what's the application?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Sexilog might be good but I won't be deploying it anywhere thanks to the name.

Just stand up your own ELK stack with one of the hundreds of tutorials (including theirs) and bring in their config files.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

One of the major hosting providers in the area run it for all their production VDI.

This is one of the niches that local RAM/SSD based caching tend to play best in, since on VDI you're normally using internal disks or lovely DAS, and host memory is cheap. As soon as you're running on a SAN just let the SAN take care of caching for you.

-edit-
See also CBRC, Infinio, ILIO.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 7, 2015

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

Intel Turbo Boost is capped by physical CPU limits, primarily thermal. If you server's are in a controlled environment like a DC then you shouldn't see major thermal variations and therefore the upper-limit of CPU frequency with Turbo Boost should be static. CPU frequency increases with demand so unless you are running some very weird workloads the amount of jitter shouldn't be noticeable.

Wouldn't the majority of the jitter come from the CPU shutting down/restarting pipelines (since it has to stop some cores to free up TDP to ramp up the remaining cores to full clock). The shutdown's cheap, but the latency in restarting is going to be expensive.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

So with HP going downhill and Cisco being gently caress Cisco what is everyone using for switching these days? My only other experience is with PowerConnects or Force10 switches. Is there anything else out there worth looking at?

Access or datacenter? If the latter, check out Arista.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Run command is strictly a Windows thing as far as customization specs go. A client I worked with a while back addressed this by having some bash scripts baked into the template that would run on first boot to do this that and the other thing, then delete themselves so they can't be run again inadvertently. There is probably a more graceful solution to the problem though.

That's what I've done in the past for Linux customization, stick a script at S99 in rc3.d that self deletes after the first run.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

The company I work for is developing a series of integration drivers for the government and we are having difficulty testing the one for Solarwinds NPM because of a lack of a dedicated test environment that we can fiddle with at will. Surprisingly people frown at the thought of unplugging various network devices and bring other peoples work to a halt in the name of TESTING! Does anyone know if its possible to deploy a virtual solution to our particular issue? Or can they point me to some instructions on how to configure such a solution? The thwack community is being decidedly unhelpful as they are convinced I just want to create a node in Solarwinds and trying to convince them otherwise is like banging my head against a brick wall.

SNMPSim?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

kiwid posted:

CDW's "Networking professionals" recommended these: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg550xg-24t-24-port-10gbase-t-stackable-switch/model.html or these:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg550xg-24f-24-port-ten-gigabit-switch/model.html depending on if we go copper or sfp+

Keep in mind this is a Nimble CS300 with two hosts.

I was also looking at Dell N4000 series but they're a couple grand more for each unit.

If you see SG in the name, you're looking at a Linksys switch. In my experience run far, far away, but that's mostly been in access switches. Like adorai mentioned I'd give a long look at Nexus 3k. I'm not a fan of anything less than a 4500/4900 for iSCSI on the Catalyst side of things, the buffers just aren't there for the burstiness of the traffic in the 3560/3750 platform, but that's not an issue on Nexus due to cut-through switching if all your ports are 10G.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

KillHour posted:

I'll bite. Why?

Ghetto windows domain-without-dcs probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

If the templates are domain joined and connected to WSUS you should be able to query that for patch status. Toss them in their own OU with aggressive autoupdate settings, I'd probably try to avoid running it as a single long running script and instead make it 2 scripts, one to thaw all the VMs and a second to freeze them once it detects WSUS is up to date. Set them to run after your WSUS admin approves updates (every Monday after patch Tuesday or whenever). 1st script runs at 8am to to kick the process off then run the second every hour after that.