Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

reno 911 is not filmed in reno.
I need to copy my entire VM from a remote location and post it to another location and back it up. I have no clue how to do this I've never used vSphere or VMware and i'm tired of google-ing. Anyone have any ideas of how I can do this (if it's even possible)

I'm using vSphere Client
VMware ESXi, 4.1.0, 348481

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

In the datastore browser, download the folder that contains the VM, as that should have everything you need, and then you've got the files and you can do whatever you want with them.

Which one contains the VM? Is it a certain type of file?

Also: When I try and download the file the connection to the server times out.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

Thanks for all the help, I will let everyone know how it goes.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

Docjowles posted:

.vmx is configuration info, .vmdk is a disk image.

Okay so I have everything downloaded, Now I need to put that configuration to the virtual server at my office. How do I import it so it's a mirror virtual server of the remote server?

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

nuckingfuts posted:

Upload the files to the datastore if you have not done so already. Then browse the datastore, right click the .vmx file, and select "Add to Inventory." You will probably also need to edit the VM network settings as well as answer the UUID question when the VM is powered on at the new location.

I added to inventory, when I powered on the machine it comes up with this error:

Reason: The file specified is not a virtual disk.
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/4f79cd9e-c1159e10-6e64-0013723fcb00/AirControl/AirControl.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Am I doing this incorrectly.

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Sounds like you missed a snapshot disk that it depends on. You should delete any snapshots you have of the machine before you copy the vmdk file.

So I have to delete the snap shot at the remote location or the server I have in my office? And how do I get the Snapshot?

Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarkillx3
Nov 29, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

See, this strikes me as a really bad idea. Those snapshots are there for some reason, perhaps the guy that runs the VMware setup at the company knows? Maybe gnarlix should ask that person? Maybe gnarlix should have that person complete this task?

So far with the company that I am working with everyone has left. I am trying to learn as I go and everyone has been a great help and I appreciate it a bunch! I'm trying to move that virtual machine to a location that isn't 400+ miles away so if something does happen I can get to it. And since everyone has left so abruptly this responsibility has landed in my lap. Just trying to figure it out so I can keep a job. Thanks again for everyone's help.