Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here roll out VXLAN and NSX? My work is wanting me to do so. Seems fairly straight forward just wondering about the hiccups. I think I calmed the push back from the IT team from working against us as they start to like it after I explained it.

Only in a lab setting. There are only, what, 250 paying customers at this point? Your odds of running into one here are pretty slim. That said, I work with a couple guys that went through the NSX Ninja program, so if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to pass them along. The only obvious potential hiccup that springs to mind is to make sure your physical infrastructure is configured for a >= 1600 byte MTU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

. Evo Rails seem like a supermicro fattwin with an 10Gb interconnect for vSAN to all blades...

It's more like a Supermicro TwinPro^2.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Yes exactly I forgot the ^2, I believe VMware contracted with them
http://ir.supermicro.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=867502

Them and seven other OEMs, yes. VMware sets the specs, OEMs make the hardware. Supermicro, Dell, HP, EMC, Fujitsu, HDS, Inspur, and NetOne have or will shortly have EVO:RAIL SKUs. They all look about the same. I've seen public speculation that EMC's version will have extra software knobs, but I haven't seen public confirmation of that yet.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NippleFloss posted:

It's VERY new. We're partnered with them but haven't sold any yet, so all we've seen are the same demos you've probably seen. I like that they are trying to break away from the traditional enterprise backup model though.

Same here. We have one in our lab and built some neat vRO stuff for it. They took on the Sisyphean task of trying to make backup cool, so I'm rooting for them but haven't seen any traction just yet.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Morganus_Starr posted:

What type of costs are you looking at for Rubrik?

List is around $100k for a four-node brick (R344). No clue what street pricing would be.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone use vRealize Automation to provide a self service vm portal for workers? If so, does it work well?

We do this, and build it for other people. It works reasonably well. The back-end is a bit fragile and convoluted when you get beyond the simple install, but that's getting better in the next version. The amount of effort it takes to get going will vary greatly based on how fancy you're trying to get--spinning up a VM from a template with DHCP takes no time, integrating the VM lifecycle with IPAM, a CMDB, configuration management tools, and other vRO-driven wackiness takes exponentially longer.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Still my favorite bit of Nutanix advocacy:

http://www.nutanix.com/2013/12/02/nutanix-delivers-a-gpu-platform-that-pays-for-itself-in-bitcoins/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
This covers everything publicly available about VMware on AWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rqv5Gg1VSk