Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Which book does one start with to learn about virtualization?

I got Scott Lowe's book however this is way too advanced to start out with. Any suggestions? I really want something that's chalk full of labs as learning by doing is always the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That seems so odd, what is the likelihood of VMware being engineered into becoming obsolete?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Googling around, stanly.edu wants like $180 for their course.

This is an online class, right?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Okay,

I'm very confused then... Does this count or not-count and if it doesn't count why the hell would you take it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

If it's accredited then it will count towards your classroom requirement to obtain the VCP. I have yet to find anything that says it's not accredited so right now I am working under the impression that this $200 course will, in fact, count towards your classroom requirement.

I think the only thing we were debating was whether you even needed to participate for them to tell vmware that you took park in the class, or whether they would just rubberstamp your admission as "participation".

Doesn't this seem too good be true? I was under the impression the required class had to be done on-site and costs around 4.5k - source a VCP friend who took the class about two years ago.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are SAN firmware updates typically like other hardware?

You restart the device and boot into some kind of flash firmware mode from USB/CD and pray.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

update a frimware that holds 25Mil worth of data.

Is that odd?

I don't know, I'm storage illiterate. You tell me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Was anyone just in the fall Stanly VMware class?

I haven't heard a thing from the instructor regarding grades or how to get certified after the fact.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

That course isn't graded. Once you have completed it, you'll be able to go the vmware education site (that you used the same email on!) and take the now unlocked certification test.

All the testing is done by vmware directly, the stanly course is just an approved course to cover the material and unlock the certification test.

It a pass or fail course and the grading section is still empty. I don't see any kind of VMware link on the class site.

EDIT I went ahead and called the professor. He told me VMware is changing their whole certification process and he'll know more later.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Very interested to hear what happens with this (as you know, I'm starting my Stanly course in Jan.)

Do you know what time frame you have after you pass the class to take the exam?

He said he didn't know but he did say that despite being the on the 5.1 course that the class still qualified for the 5.5 exam.

The only major difference between 5.1 and 5.5 was the increase usage of the web client.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I am trying to teach myself more things about Linux and Microsoft AD at home.

What I want to accomplish is to setup a fictitious company Contoso. I'd to have a PDC, SDC a few desktops. Create the contoso.com domain, a few desktops, users, experiment with group policy, etc

I'm starting out with VMware Workstation 10 on my local PC but is this going to work? I'm noticing that things are slower than I expected despite my host just being a i5-2500, 8GB Ram and Samsung 830 SSD.

I know I will eventually need more RAM that's fine but how much more performance will I get if I have a dedicated physical host? I could get a i5-Haswell, 16/32GB RAM and bigger SSD. Hyper-v looks like the best choice as if I went with ESXi I'd need another physical (I guess now you can virtualize it?) host for V-Center but if I need a host for less than a dozen VMs would this setup be the best/easiest? I'd remote in from my main desktop for actual work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

PDC and SDC are dead paradigms, just FYI. Scrap whatever you're following which uses those.

What's the new recommended design?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Someone will probably better comment better than I however I'd say to an extent that OpenStack is analogous to AWS or Azure but running it in-house. Things like Nova, Swift, Glance, etc are the "chunks" that make it work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Not sure if this place but how do you end up with cattle as opposed to pets? How do create an application or where it doesn't matter if crashes and you just re-create it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Will this eventually become standard in application development? It seems like a great concept.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Syano posted:

I work with a very large Hyper-V installation. Multiple cluster.... over 1200 VMs. Its not going to blow anyone's skirt up but its a fine alternative to Vmware.

I'm assuming you have System Center? How are you backing up VMs and what do are you using for HA?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a way I can download a evaluation version of VMware say 5.0 and 5.5?

I'm trying to teach myself how to do an upgrade but only evaluation options available appears to be 6.0.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Does that mean that they're on a decline, or does that mean that they've hit their stride and now it's boring?
I guess that's the hard question.

I always find it hard to judge a company even when there's a mass exodus.

The same thing happened to Rackspace, VMware yet there still around.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

adorai posted:

The best example is how IBM charges you to enable processor cores on already purchased and installed processors on the iSeries devices (or whatever they call the power series now).

On the larger systems this is a common option. You have a Capacity on Demand where you can temporarily unlock more cores for performance testing. You save money and it's a good deal if you're expecting growth or sudden demand.

Curious, are there any X86 providers that offer the same?

Richard Noggin posted:

People still buy IBM?

IBM has/is essentially sold most of their X86 Hardware to Lenovo. On the other hand IBM Powersystem is their special baby and appears to hold a lot of potential.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

This was back when standard vSwitch was the only option and also the question wasn't about licensing, it was literally about whether we needed to purchase nics to install in virtual servers to connect to virtual switches. Like, as if there were an actual virtual nic card that came in a box and we needed 200 of them for our virtual servers.

I'm totally confused what is going?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

When the project inevitably explodes are you going to help him evol?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I'm with evol on this one (and MC Fruit Stripe talked about this behavior among tech people recently too). Dude has given us his situation and requirements, and they aren't going to change. Even if you think they are dumb--which for the record, I do. Screaming "UR DOIN IT RONG" isn't going to help anything. Might as well give him the best path to "success" given his constraints.

I don't know what Fruit Stripe is referring to or the background but it's clear the company is asking for the impossible.

Instead of trying to figure out the best way to jump on a grenade I'd re-focus and look for greener pastures. When it goes off not only will you be unemployed your future career will become progressively difficult.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

ITT: goonsplaining about how software stacks they've never used and know nothing about are reckless

vs. actually using one you know nothing about and in production?

evol262 posted:

The killer for career prospects is the insistence on not taking a salary/title cut to go to a position where his skill level is appropriate, which will probably continue when/if this goes down.

If you didn't know that ssh was used to interact with linux your job title ought to not include senior.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

There are potentially large numbers of "senior" people (.net devs, windows admins, etc) who don't know anything about Linux and don't need to.

There are senior Windows Admins, Developers who've probably haven't heard of ssh but that isn't the case. You trying implement a solution that's command-line and linux heavy and the user isn't experienced when you should really have some prior background.

I missed the earlier discussion but we're essentially arguing what's the safest way to dive on a grenade.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fair defense, I stand corrected.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's not like moving to whatever cloud provider is going to completely elmi ate management of all these systems.

Learn Azure, AWS, etc

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

DevNull posted:

They did a hell of a job exploiting the exploit as a marketing campaign.

Exactly what good does marketing the exploit do...?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shrug, I'd be fine with flying around the country installing Nimble but my back is awful and I can't lift a drat thing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Specializing in a small market product that is really easy to set up and use isn't generally good for career growth. It may not be a bad weigh station job to get a foot in the door at Nimble or in the broader vendor ecosystem, since vendor hiring is incredibly incestuous, but it's not going to be very fulfilling work.

Unless I'm mistaken Nimble has storage solutions from SMB all the way to Fortune 500.

Yea, I agree it's not a "permanent" position but I'm relatively young, single and no kids so I wouldn't mind the travel. As for vendor positions being incestuous I've never thought about it like that but its awfully clever.

EDIT - We discussed storage in the general IT thread a few months ago and I came out with asking how much more to SANs is there aside from the initial connection (SAS,iSCSI,etc) and provisioning LUNs. There was an overwhelming reply that there's a lot more and now I'm really confused.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 15, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Do techs usually do the rack-and-stack? I don't know about other vendors, but EMC usually sends Unisys to do the lifting and cabling and then the techs show up later to push the buttons.

No clue, I worked small MSP and we basically did it all. Moving a fully loaded N-Series wasn't pleasant.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Do I dare ask what Cisco/Oracle rails are like?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Could someone post a link to the guide?

Or go into s little more detail about this practice, I've just used easy install with VMware tools and left as-is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

After reading over all the OpenStack and DevOps conversations, videos and bits I have come to the realization I have zero idea about any of these things.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Great post, to make sure I'm following...

• DevOps is method of delivering software fast as features are worthless until users use them.
  • Waterfall a older method of software development. Development works forever on a huge software package then goes to ops goes install this now! Everything breaks, tons of crap doesn't work.
  • Agile is a newer method of software development. Faster releases, Operations still struggles to keep up.
  • DevOps. Works with the Dev and "automates" much of the environment. Things like Puppet, Chef, DSC, DHCP, Images of OS, etc

Okay, the above makes sense and I totally see why we're headed in that direction but one thing I'm a little perplexed about is the role of the System Administrator as it seems that the position is essentially becoming automated out-of-existence? Is the SA going to be around in a decade? To make things a little more confusing I'm not following the whole "Pets-vs-Cattle" where we're not suppose to have individual systems that need special attention but how does that apply to things like DHCPs/DNS/Database Servers?

EDIT - I know OpenStack wasn't addressed but to my understanding it's another IaaS Platform (On-Premise with your own hardware) with a bunch of project put together but isn't necessarily competing with standard IaaS providers like On-Prem Vert. or Azure,Amazon,EC2...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 17, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The whole automation of IT leaves somewhat depressed as the late 90s was what got me into technology. I didn't know it at the time but everything I've done growing up from installing games on my Dad's 386 to building a PC for LAN or setting up a Web Server just for fun has paid off. Not only in a technical sense but socially as I've meet some awesome people because we both loved technology but with "Plug-in-Play" becoming a reality things won't be the same. :smith:

While the world moves fast, corporations still move incredibly slow but the future is going to be much simpler. On other hand, I think I'll spend more of my free time learning to program.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 17, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Nested Virt is supported, so it should...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How do you know when you need something like Azure/Open-Stack?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

So on the heels of my ESXi OSX question, it looks like Apple isn't renewing whatever deal they had to virtualize OSX on ESXi internally and are moving to KVM. Don't imagine this will mean much to like 99% of people, but my interest was just piqued.

But you still have to run on Apple hardware?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is the fat vSphere client going away?

Either way, VMware virtualization's portfolio is incredibly strong. It's not just that they have a product that does what customers want it's been around for a while integrates with a ton of stuff and incredibly polished.

Granted, other traditional virt offerings have caught up like Hyper-v with Windows Server but VMware is still #1.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Thick management clients in general are a terrible. VMware's implementation leaves a lot to be desired but the idea that I've got a portable client that can run on any standard browser across a number of devices is so much better than needing a specific OS and having to manage client interdependencies and versions independent of the managed application.

There doesn't even need to be a competitive reason to do away with the thick client, it's a good idea purely from a user perspective.

Aside from having to only run the client on Windows what's it lacking?

Granted, I've never been responsible for for than less than a dozen hosts so I'm coming in from the SMB perspective.

Edit: If you're unhappy with VMware, why not try out Hyper-v? Yes, I know that original implementations weren't the great but it's way better now.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 4, 2015