Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good book on PowerCLI for someone who's done fair bit of UNIX scripting, but is fairly new to VMWare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Saukkis posted:

Another fun mess. Oracle DB cluster with vSAN. Really tight schedule, need to limit core count, very little experience with vSAN. Original plan was for three 16-core nodes, until we realized it should really be 4 nodes. So if we drop to 12 -core nodes we can either choose a pathetically weak processors, unnecessarily powerful and expensive CPUs, or a single 12-core CPU.

The 12-core CPU looks like the most practical option, but a single CPU VMware node feels like a bad idea. Will it be able to handle all the PCIe devices we need. At least Gartner considers 1-CPU a nifty trick for budget conscious CIOs.

Six blades, each with two 4-core CPUs.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The most technically correct solution is to pitch your Oracle software and account team off a bridge.

This is good advice but also sad because it deprives you of someone you can vent your spleen on. I pride myself on being a nice guy (when acting in my professional capacity) and treating people in such a way that they will want to work with my company in the future. I realized long ago that those rules don't apply to Oracle. Even if we found an Oracle rep who knew their poo poo and wanted to help us, they would just reassign the poor bastard, or drive them to quit. Now I use the slightest Oracle-related inconvenience as an excuse to vent all my accumulated frustration all at once on whoever's currently assigned to make their pathetic excuses to us. No, I do not regard the ticket as closed. No, "must have been cosmic rays" is not an acceptable root cause analysis. No, it is not acceptable that your stupidly overpriced hardware crashes more often than a ten year old Dell. Yes, these meetings are going to continue. Tell your VP I said "suck it" but also that he should tell his Mom hello for me.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Are other VMware shops using DHCP, with or without reseved addresses, for the vMotion and NFS interfaces on their ESXi hosts? I have been pushing for this at work, on the theory that doing IPAM for those addresses is boring. People, including our TAM, pushing back because Change is Bad. I can't believe that using DHCP is problematic in 2019 but that's the impression I get.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

I think it all depends on where is the dhcp server located compared to the cluster. Is the dhcp host contained in the cluster? If the answer is no i see minimal issues, if yes no loving way.

It never even occurred to me that the DHCP server might be a VM inside the cluster. Now I almost want to try to draw that up and present it and see who twigs first. It feels like one of those great screw-ups where the layers of protection in the system will protect you in most situations, and so by the time you find yourself in a situation where you're impacted, you've forgotten you even had this issue, the impact is total because you wouldn't even notice the problem unless things were massively hosed up, and then you're utterly baffled.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

For our next round of host purchases, I'm pushing for going with dual SATA SSDs. It's a trivial price delta compared to the cost of the host, and ought to be much more stable.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It installs the malware payload VM and gives it access to all your drives, so the sandbox isn't really a barrier.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We struggle with similar problems. One strategy we tried with mixed success was to replicate to additional systems inside an island of containment, which we could then isolate for test purposes. We kept finding new endpoints we needed inside the IOC and vowing to get it right next time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wow, that's depressing. Ease and simplicity of upgrades are a huge part of their sales pitch.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My only problem with Pure is that the moment we went to year-to-year renewal instead of the three-year they wanted us to sign, my assigned customer engineer suddenly got real hard to get hold of. They continue to just work and do everything we want, and when we open a case for proactive support they're right there to help, so I'm not reaaaaal upset, just miffed.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Pikehead posted:

Beats me what's doing it, but there have been issues going all the way back to 6.0 where VMware has blamed IO on crappy SD cards:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2149257

My organisation's solution to this and the upcoming depreciation in 7.x has been to start moving to boot-from-san, which also means we can finally start automating building esxi hosts.

I've given thought to that but our main data stores are NFS, so I'd be adding a whole new dependency to our environment. How's the transition worked for you?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

What's cool out there in hyperconverged these days? I remember people saying that VXRail didn't make them as happy as they hoped but not why. We never did HCI before but we're pondering a new look at it for our on-prem VMware deployment. Nutanix, Cisco Hyperflex, and VXRail are all on my short list right now.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Experience suggests we'll do that too, but only after putting way too much money into it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Oh you want vmware, I was going to offer a comedy Azure Stack Hub suggestion.

I am a nice person, why would you say such a horrible thing to me?

Cloud looms large for every sane org but that's actually why we want to stay with VMware for this. With all the focus on skilling up for cloud work, why would we also try switching hypervisors for our on-prem at this late date?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

GrandMaster posted:

Even in a completely greenfield environment, the "one click upgrade" promise they sell you with VXRail is utter bullshit. Don't believe the hype. Each upgrade will take a week minimum with constant handholding by support

As in there are problems requiring support to fix them with every single upgrade, or just that you've been burned often enough to want them to go with you step by step? Not that either answer is entirely encouraging.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tev posted:

Yeah if you own the perpetual license but the support has expired on it, you can renew support on that license.

There's an extra fee though. They don't want you renewing just in time to open support tickets and then dropping again. $job found a license where someone had inappropriately dropped support years back, and when we asked VMware for a quote on getting it back under support, they told us that at this point it would be cheaper to buy new licenses.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My boss is pushing me to look at Cohesity. Anyone have experience with it? I don't trust small POCs when our big picture is several thousand VMs to back up.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Look, you can't make me use Xenserver again. I won't do it.

I use it. It works fairly well, just make sure your sizing is correct. Just VMs, or other workloads like SQL, Exchange, etc? Replicating to another unit? To the cloud? I ran into the fact that I can't go cluster -> cluster -> cloud, and it makes me sad.

What are you using today?

We've got some Veeam but not enough for everything. The hacks we're using for the guests that don't get Veeam licenses allocated don't bear close inspection. Or distant inspection. Like, if I was a Klingon, they'd be a slight on the honor of my family. I wanted to just buff up Veeam but the boss wants us to look at other options.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks IE.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Did you also look at Rubrik? They are one of the few vendors I have no issue 100% recommending.

No, but I can add it to the list. Thanks.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

God save us all but OVM can actually solve licensing problems with Oracle RDBMS. It's one of the few on-prem solutions for which they allow sub-capacity licensing. I've pondered it but concluded that the extra time and energy spent dealing with it would exceed the the cost of just eating full capacity licensing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I need this to work on the road :suicide:

iSCSI is routable!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's a trade-off. You can hot add sockets, but you can't hot change cores per socket, so if you single socket, you lose a lot of flexibility. Newer versions of vCenter also automatically construct a vNUMA topology behind the scenes that makes it a non-issue for most commonly encountered sizes. The last time I asked our TAM about it, the guidance we got was to feel free to use lots of sockets and one core per socket, up until you might be using more cores than a single physical CPU could accommodate. If your VM might not fit in a single socket, you want to specify a number of sockets that fits your hosts, and a cores-per-socket figure that also fits your hosts.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I just wish they'd skip the BS and say "the old perpetual license structure failed to deliver the revenue required to please shareholders."

Edit:

Q: Why is this good for VMware customers?
A: It's not. We simply judge that you have no choice.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DevNull posted:

I have worked at VMware for over 16 years. Broadcom quickly came out with with a return to office mandate and a new employment contract that is horrific. We had one of our most senior team members quit with 0 days notice, and a lot of people that are refusing to sign the new contract and are looking for a new job. So expect the virtualization quality to take a hit. Enjoy!

Please god let me not find out that support actually could be worse.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The licenses will be valid, but you won't be able to renew support on them.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

My understanding is that Nutanix is just a much less trusted hypervisor at the core than VMWare, Hyper-V, or KVM/Qemu, which are all rock solid and proven. The various management interfaces for KVM might all suck, but KVM itself will never let you down. Nutanix was designed for doing hyper-converged VDI and just wasn't designed to be an all purpose virtualization solution. VMWare is not the only option, I bet we're going to see plenty of shops move to Hyper-V.

Look at the OP of the Homelab thread for a firsthand account into why Nutanix failed to ever get a foothold in the hobbyist market, which matters because people will try things at home before bringing them up at work:

According to https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documents/solutions/details?targetId=TN-2038-AHV:nutanix-ahv-components.html , AHV is based on KVM/Qemu.

My problem with it as a new hypervisor is that we have a huge investment in non-Nutanix hardware and storage. You start asking them about how to use your existing blade servers and vvol storage with AHV, they look for diplomatic ways to say, "not our circus, not our monkeys."

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 28, 2024

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Not much reason for the youth to learn anyway. It's going the way of COBOL.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

At least not where I live; all of the new guys learn ESXi and vCenter as part of their education, and can apply it immediately in the workplace. That's going to be irrelevant in future, as all the customers in the market we serve won't be in Broadcom's exclusive club.

That's what I meant, sorry. A year or two back, if you wanted to do IT, learning VMware made sense. Today, with Broadcom visibly crapping all over it, it might make sense if you had your heart set on doing on-prem stuff, but I could make a case for not bothering. Five years from now, the shops still using it are going to have to accept that they will need to be the ones to train their new hires on it, because nobody will learn it proactively.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DevNull posted:

My boss that just retired from VMware was working for Sun when Oracle bought them. He said that wasn't done nearly as poorly. I have heard the same thing from other people. I think a new industry standard has been set.

It's not that Oracle is somehow better, it's that the state of the art for crapping all over people has moved on in the intervening years.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

At least VMware by VMware was giving people good jobs with our license money.

The thing that feels worst about this is that the lion's share of the VMware buyout is sitting in the offshore accounts of Michael Dell, his private capital buddies, and a few large investment firms. Some bank in Aruba is flush with like $25B of that sale price.

Worthless, unproductive waste.

Nope our license money is going to be at $fuckyou cost, and it's going purely to backfill buyout debt, vulture capitalists, and a far reduced workforce. poo poo, remember when VMware laid off much of its dedicated support team in anticipation of buyout, and suddenly their engineers started getting pulled into T1 issues?

VMware had a dedicated support team? The way they treated our tickets, I assumed they just printed them, left on the street, and trusted that someone curious would pick them up and call us.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

They used to. It was friggin great, too.

Oh yeah, back in the day, the guys at my workplace to worked with VMware would talk about how wonderful their support was. Never knew how good we had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

tell me to piss off if this isn't the right place for this, but if I wanted to get a job that does virtualization*, what kind of skills or homelab projects would be good for putting on a resume or talking about in an interview?

* trying to escape helldesk ASAP

You've asked at the time when we're all grappling with the enterprise standard (VMware) turning into absolute bandits with no clear successor. It's still the obvious answer but not by a large margin.