Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The trailer for Marble Hornets justifies and makes necessary not only the season 2 dvds, but the entire Marble Hornets series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JordanKai posted:

The fanbase was ToTheArk all along.

How meta would it be if they got a stalker who started posting footage of their shoots on youtube and sneaking into the frame of their videos?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

While the BBC piece was perhaps a bit overwrought, I have to say that I agree with the idea that the Slender Man is a new myth or monster. I was reflecting awhile back that nearly all of our horror archetypes are really old- vampires, werewolves, demons, and ghosts are ancient, mummies as an object of horror are around a century or so, and our present conception of zombies dates to 1968. The most recent horror archetype we have is the slasher, which only really came into its own around 1978 with Halloween and 1980 with Friday the 13th (despite earlier instances such as Psycho).

What Victor Surge did, and what Troy and Joseph and Tim are doing, is creating a new thing and building its mythology, and perhaps most crucially, there's a horde of people with no qualification save that they think it's cool coming up with their own takes on it, tweaking or twisting the existing story, and generating new ideas about it. That's how things go from story to myth- that process of telling and retelling and changing details here and there- and while we can quibble about the quality of this Slenderblog or that YouTube series, the fact that it's slowly seeping into the mainstream consciousness is ridiculously cool, and it's neat to watch it happen in real time.

e: The only other modern myth I can think of is Shadow People, and that's mostly limited to dodgy parapsychology websites inhabited by people who don't know what sleep paralysis is.

There's grey aliens, inspired by '50s sci-fi and grown out of the cultural conditions produced by the satanic panic and recovered memory culture of the '80s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

What I meant was that Slenderman was just hanging out in a field in broad daylight, not lurking in the dark, and his appearance didn't cause immediate Incredibly Bad poo poo to happen like it does now.

I mean, yes, you could make up an explanation but I think it's a hard point to argue against that this season is completely different from season 1 since in season 1 they didn't intend (as far as I know) to tell an actual story with a narrative and things that aren't just weird for no reason. I wouldn't believe them if they said as much, which I doubt they would.

He shows up in broad daylight for most of his early appearances, and does the same in the first video from this season--all just hanging out. He also did scary night appearances in the first season too. I think he just does different stuff at different times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CloFan posted:

What if they had filmed the next found-tape entry, but used that actual tape in the latest video and it got corrupted or literally too dirty to play?

Wouldn't that be like if they had to stop making episode of Knight Rider because they wrecked the car filming a stunt--or because David Hasslehoff got hurt while driving the car during a stunt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Len posted:

Man where is the Marble Hornets thread I remember?

Looks like I won't be getting any sleep tonight :gonk:

• Locked thread