Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

OP forgot to mention Sarah in the character list. She's only slightly more irrelevant than Seth!

We did get a pretty good quote from Seth, though:

AUGHGHFGHGHHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
New thread already has a new title :smith: Why can't we have nice things?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
They're really stepping up the production values, here. The DVD case looks awesome.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Docjowles posted:

But you should catch up, because I bet it won't feel slow if you just sit down and marathon it over 90 minutes vs months. And the last few entries are badass

I watched the DVD with my friends thinking "oh, everyone's gonna get bored, nothing really scary happened this season..."

Nope.

Season 2 was WAY more intense than season 1. It was actually pretty freaky, even for those of us that had already seen them on youtube. Something about seeing all the entries back-to-back in a dark room really ramps up the tension.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Pope Guilty posted:

What did you think of The Blair Witch Project?

I personally think that Blair Witch is the 2nd scariest movie ever (after The Exorcist). Most of my friends pish-posh that, saying "but you can't ever seeee the monster!". I think the acting is incredibly realistic, and their horror seems genuine. Seeing other people being scared is what scares me the most.

Now that I think about it, its kind of odd that those actors never did anything else... almost as if... they actually DID get lost in the woods :spooky:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Kavak posted:

Link's not working for me.

Here is the actual link:

http://twitter.com/#!/whatatroy/status/188456870892154881/photo/1

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Pretty sure they're culling GBS so that it's not just full of the same few megathreads popping up every day.

Is there a reason this thread is here and not in the TV or Movies Thread?

Also,

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=242

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Happy Happyist posted:

I was thinking about buying the DVDs. Are the TTA videos included?

Yes, everything is included in order (except tweets, which are in the special features). This turns MH into more of a movie format, which makes it much more terrifying in my opinion.

Plus, there are extras. Wonderful extras. Including a trailer for the real Marble Hornets student film on the Season 2 DVD. The DVDs are really fantastic, all in all.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

kilogram posted:

Looks like someone forgot to switch accounts... I hope. I really, really, sincerely hope.

Maybe it turns out that Marble Hornets was some sort of viral marketing campaign all along.

Or maybe Jay is just a gamer in between running from faceless entities and getting amnesia for months.

What did it say?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

TheKlontz posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned yet but this guy is making a full length Slenderman movie.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ajmeadows/the-slender-man-movie

Seems like it is going to be alright. I like the idea of using the original slendy mythos.

Wouldn't that guy need the rights / permission of Victor Surge?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

That drat Satyr posted:

Yeah, honestly having grown up living in a house out in the middle of the woods in the backwoods of NC... and now living pretty much in the middle of a national forest, I can safely say there is very little that terrifies me more than a dark forest at night. I don't really know why, but because of that, this poo poo strikes me way harder on the 'oh god no auuuugh' scale than it probably should.

Augh that picture. I almost didn't upload it because i didn't want to look at it that long. I don't want to be that 'oooh I had to turn the light on' person but.. ugh, gently caress the forest.

Man if you hate the forest, why are you living in one now???

Live MH... So, bets are on either Rosswood Park or the Asylum. Which one do you think Jay is at? :munch:

The third, obvious alternative is the distortion hole.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

That drat Satyr posted:

I know, but it's the best I could do. :v:

None of the awful puns will ever reach the amazing level of SpelndorMan, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXYC_jX2Wc

Edit: Also, has the possibility been discredited yet that Skimasky could be one of the lesser-known people from that episode/shoot at the gazebo? I seem to recall there were like 4 people there, and maybe one or two of them are accounted for. I could be mus-remembering, though, on that one. Either way though, maybe he's someone we've not yet 'met' yet.

I'm still thinking that it's Brian.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

sleeptalker posted:

It's been mentioned in a few entries that Alex's last name is "Kralie". "ARK" could be his initials.

I'm not sure it would fit, though. The Maskies have pretty well been able to find and mess with Alex for a long time now, so I don't see why they would need Jay or anyone else's help. The other theory, that TTA is the Operator somehow, would fit even less, since he probably found Alex at that birthday episode at the latest (though Alex may have tried to escape him at least once, see entry 26).

Yes, but.... Jay talking to Alex and asking for the tapes are what started this whole mess in the first place. So maybe he already led them to the ark once, and they just want to go back :tinfoil:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

exquisite tea posted:

I really liked this series when it first came out but it's really been dragging its heels for basically the last 40 installments. There have been a few isolated highpoints in between but so many entries are just needless exposition with some pretty embarrassing dialogue. I wish they would have cut all the non-scary/disturbing content and only put out entries that could entertain, instead of circling the drain around some vague cultist/mind control plot that falls apart under any serious scrutiny. Season 3 has been pretty disappointing so far; I appreciate that the creators are trying to wrap things up in a neat little bow but I think they tripped over themselves with Tim's character and his relation to the main plot. I do keep watching the entries though so I guess they got something right.

You know, I felt the exact same way about Season 2 way back when. When you watch the entries back to back on the DVD, though.... it's terrifying. And amazing. It doesn't plod at all. I think just the fact that there is so long between entries kills the tension a bit.

Can't wait for the Season 3 DVD, then gonna have a 4 hour Marble Hornets scarefest!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Semi-Normal posted:

I think the "Slender" nomanclature is because of the game. I think there are a lot of people who only know about Slenderman because of it. My 9-year-old son came home one day asking me about "The Slender," which took me a bit off guard, until he told me that his friends had been playing the game at school. He ended up watching videos of the game on Youtube and had nightmares and wouldn't go down the hall to brush his teeth by himself for a few nights. :doh:

It's interesting, because the myth has a resurgence with every subsequent type of media. It started off as images and stories, got a boost from the video series', and then again thanks to the game.

Oh, and let's not forget the importance of Minecraft and the Enderman in cementing it in American youth culture.

I thought when it first came up that he was called "The Slender Man", not just "Slenderman". The first way is a lot creepier, in my opinion.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Leovinus posted:

Yeah, I don't believe for a second that any of that poo poo happened.

Well, yeah. Read the conclusion and it becomes pretty obviously just a story they wrote. Still pretty funny, though.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

fullroundaction posted:

I wonder what Google has to say ...

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=marble%20hornets%2C%20slenderman%2C%20slender%20man&cmpt=q

Not at all what I was expecting. At least from the fandom side I'd say the peak was late 2010-ish.

That said, organic search results don't really tell the whole story of course.

That peak is when :reddit: found out about the slender man. They became aware after minecraft added the "enderman" enemy (late 2011), and the release and massive popularity of that game Slender (June 2012).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
As far as the DVDs go, you should try watching Season 2 before crafting an opinion. The long entries are interspersed with TTA entries so that it never feels drawn out or boring. In fact, the tension remains very high throughout. This season has longer entries, but I have a feeling it will be very similar to the S2 DVD experience.

• Locked thread