Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:eng101: Reagan was more left-wing than any politician in America today or in the 90s. So that's actually supporting Steak's idea.

Of course, America was more left-wing than now at pretty much any date after WW2 (the 50s being an ambiguous point but we didn't have people trying to dismantle Social Security then so :v:), so...

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/14/how-straight-marriage-s-evolution-led-to-obama-s-gay-marriage-endorsement.html

This is a good summary on how societal conception and legal precedent have led to the point where marriage equality is even a thing

Also the hilariously bigoted comments are greatly outnumbered

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ungulateman posted:

:eng101: Reagan was more left-wing than any politician in America today or in the 90s. So that's actually supporting Steak's idea.

Of course, America was more left-wing than now at pretty much any date after WW1, so...

I think you're forgetting about the 1920's and Calvin "claim to fame was breaking a Police strike" Coolidge.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ungulateman posted:

Of course, America was more left-wing than now at pretty much any date after WW1, so...

Oh yes, the years following World War I were truly a heyday for the American left.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, probably the most famous Filipino in the world (as well as a top Boxer and Congressman in the Philippines), Manny Pacquiao, has been preaching fire and brimstone about gays and condemned President Obama for his 'evolution' on the topic. The shocking part? How much negative backlash I've been seeing in both articles and comments about Pacquiao's beliefs.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

So, probably the most famous Filipino in the world (as well as a top Boxer and Congressman in the Philippines), Manny Pacquiao, has been preaching fire and brimstone about gays and condemned President Obama for his 'evolution' on the topic. The shocking part? How much negative backlash I've been seeing in both articles and comments about Pacquiao's beliefs.
Apparently he didn't quote Leviticus (the original article was updated) and he's just opposed to same sex marriage.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
He's backpedaling now and the original leviticus quote attribution is being denied.

Still, that sucks. I really like him as a boxer.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Apparently he didn't quote Leviticus (the original article was updated) and he's just opposed to same sex marriage.

Pacquiao's gay relative is a variation of "I have black friends, so how can I be racist? :smug:". Still, even without the Leviticus part, he's projecting his terrible opinions onto the general masses because of his popularity as a Boxer, which certainly isn't helping gay rights.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not surprising that a dumbass Senator from a rough province would believe or say something this stupid, though since everyone believes the current President there is gay and Manny recently left his party over what's believed to be a dispute over failure to help Manny dodge taxes or something, there may be another angle to this sudden need to declare it loudly and publicly.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

ungulateman posted:

I know we like to compare the insanity of today's Republican party to Reagan and point out how he wouldn't get very far in the party today, but let's not go nuts.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Can't wait to see Pacman vs Mayweather, with John Waters, Elton John, and Ted Allen bringing Floyd's belts out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ReindeerF posted:

It's not surprising that a dumbass Senator from a rough province would believe or say something this stupid, though since everyone believes the current President there is gay and Manny recently left his party over what's believed to be a dispute over failure to help Manny dodge taxes or something, there may be another angle to this sudden need to declare it loudly and publicly.

Yea Manny's a huge shitbag so I doubt anyone's shocked 'oh the tax cheating piece of poo poo is also a homophobe'.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea Manny's a huge shitbag so I doubt anyone's shocked 'oh the tax cheating piece of poo poo is also a homophobe'.

It's may just be me but I don't usually assume tax evasion is linked to being a homophobe.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bizarro Watt posted:

I know we like to compare the insanity of today's Republican party to Reagan and point out how he wouldn't get very far in the party today, but let's not go nuts.

Hyperbole? On the Internet? Say it ain't so!

(The point remains that a lot of 'liberals' in America today are more right-wing than Republicans of years gone by like Reagan, let alone actual liberals like LBJ.)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

What is the explanation behind the perception that blacks as a general demographic are opposed to gay marriage?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

What is the explanation behind the perception that blacks as a general demographic are opposed to gay marriage?

Their voting record for proposition 8, among other things (70% opposed to gay marriage):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wayne-besen/proposition-8-and-race_b_142147.html

However, after controlling for party allegiance, church attendance, education, etc., they apparently are (edit:) *not* significantly more anti-gay than other races:
http://www.gaylesbiantimes.com/?id=13832

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^^edit: I totally misread the question. Yea in actual application they're no more anti-gay than any other group in the same overlaps of culture.

Inspector Hound posted:

In the big picture black and hispanic people tend to lean social conservative in general, but usually in the scale of 'well I personally wouldn't do this' rather than 'Gotta vote this poo poo out'. The gay stuff gets hit because a large amount of the black population is religious, and in many black communities the church plays a more involved role in the life of the people than in white areas, especially in the south.

evilweasel posted:

It's may just be me but I don't usually assume tax evasion is linked to being a homophobe.

Well in general I meant he was a scumbag with the general 'shitbag' statement, he doesn't do much ILLEGAL poo poo aside from tax evasion but he does/says a lot of general scummy stuff. Yea that was poorly placed though.

Basically Manny has a big mic and it sucks he's saying this poo poo, but the drawback of him being him is most people know 'heeey you're kinda a dirtbag already bro maybe I don't give a poo poo what you think about morals'.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Seems like Rhode Island is off the table for this year and the Governor's executive order to recognize out of state marriages was not a starting point but the only thing that could be done this year.

The votes are probably there and the civil union bill is wildly unpopular (only 52 licenses have been issued) and actively opposed by all LGBT groups, but nothing appears to be happening because Leadership is terrible.

The Senate President is very opposed to same sex marriage and the House Speaker is openly gay but couldn't get his poo poo together to oppose an amendment allowing Catholic hospitals to ignore civil unions

e: Didn't even take a day for Money to see this could be good PR.
Mayweather is the best.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 17, 2012

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Now I REALLY want that fight to happen. Go Mayweather.

And a Grantland Open Letter to Manny

quote:

I'll tell you what helped me survive, Kuya. The team of friends, teachers, and family — even a priest! A Catholic priest! — who coached me that my need for partnership was as natural as your union with your wife. The barkada who put their hands on my shoulders in my own tough corners and taught me again and again this lesson: God did not intend for any of us to move through this life alone, gay or not.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 17, 2012

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Maryland's highest court rules that gay marriage licenses issued in other states must be recognized by the state government of Maryland:

MetroWeekly posted:

Lesbian Couple Can Divorce in Maryland: Court Rules State Recognizes Valid Same-Sex Marriages Performed Elsewhere

Maryland's highest court today held that a lesbian couple who had been married in California can get divorced in Maryland, echoing and making law a 2010 Attorney General's opinion that same-sex couples legally married outside of Maryland would have their marriage recognized in Maryland.

Today's opinion from the Maryland Court of Appeals was unanimous and applies regardless of the outcome of the expected November referendum on Maryland's marriage equality bill, which was passed earlier this year.

Setting up the question, Justice Glenn Harrell writes for the court:

Appellant, Jessica Port, and Appellee, Virginia Anne Cowan, married in California in 2008. Approximately two years later, Port and Cowan agreed mutually to separate. Port filed ultimately a divorce complaint, on the ground of voluntary separation, in the Circuit Court for Prince George's County (at the time, she was a resident of the County). Cowan answered the complaint in a "no contest" manner. The court denied the requested relief, explaining in its written order that the marriage was "not valid" and "contrary to the public policy of Maryland."

The question before the appeals court, the court noted, was, "Must the Circuit Court grant a divorce to two people of the same sex who were validly married in another jurisdiction and who otherwise meet the criteria for divorce under Maryland law?"

Looking at the status of Maryland treatment of same-sex couples -- which the court says "may be characterized as a case of multiple personality disorder" -- the court notes that it need not look at the recent passage of the "Civil Marriage Protection Act" passed earlier this year, but likely subject to a referendum this fall, to allow same-sex couples to marry in Maryland.

Saying that the issue is a matter of "comity," which relates to states' respect for other states' judgments, the court held:

The parties' California same-sex marriage is valid. Therefore, in order for their marriage to be valid for purposes of whether Maryland will adjudicate its dissolution, it must not run afoul of either exception [to recognizing out-of-state marriages]: it cannot be prohibited by statute or "repugnant" to the public policies of Maryland. For the following reasons, Port's and Cowan's entitlement, on this record, to a Maryland divorce from their California same-sex marriage is not prohibited, as a matter of law and on this record, by these exceptions.

When looking at why this is so despite Maryland's current law (in place until the outcome of a referendum on the marriage equality bill) limiting in-state marriages to opposite-sex couples, the court notes:

Other states intending to prevent recognition of valid foreign same-sex marriages have done so expressly and clearly, rather than by implication, subtlety, or indirection. For example, the Pennsylvania Code provides, "A marriage between persons of the same sex which was entered into in another state or foreign jurisdiction, even if valid where entered into, shall be void in this Commonwealth."

Although not controlling the court's opinion, the court does mention and discuss the Attorney General's opinion, issued in 2010 by Maryland Attorney General Douglas Gansler (D), that concludes that this court would recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages valid where they were entered.

The court concludes:

[N]o still viable decision by this Court has deemed a valid foreign marriage to be "repugnant," despite being void or punishable as a misdemeanor or more serious crime were it performed in Maryland. The present case will be treated no differently. A valid out-of-state same-sex marriage should be treated by Maryland courts as worthy of divorce, according to the applicable statutes, reported cases, and court rules of this State.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I like the irony: the thing that allows a bunch of gay marriages to be recognized is the dissolution of another

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Riptor posted:

I like the irony: the thing that allows a bunch of gay marriages to be recognized is the dissolution of another

It's ironic, but it's actually a huge problem for couples who got married in one state, then moved elsewhere and broke up. Since their new state won't recognize their marriage, they won't give them a divorce - and since they're not a resident of their old state that one won't either. So they're trapped in a weird limbo.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Inspector Hound posted:

Anti-gay marriage groups have been repeating this as much as they can over the past few years, because this perception helps their cause. It's partially an attempt to pit gays against racial minority groups - which is one of NOM's explicit goals; evidently they've never considered that black people and Hispanics can be just as gay as white folk - and partially a shield that they can use against criticism. "What do you mean, our views are prejudiced? Black people agree with us!"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rhode Island has some evil Senators who introduced a bill to override the Governor's order to recognize out of state marriages.

quote:

RESOLVED, By this General Assembly that the public policy of this state discountenances the marriage of same-sex couples, and that our public policy in this regard overrides any obligation of full faith and credit inasmuch as it regards a matter of paramount importance to the citizens of this state.
Sounds legit!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Anti-gay marriage groups have been repeating this as much as they can over the past few years, because this perception helps their cause. It's partially an attempt to pit gays against racial minority groups - which is one of NOM's explicit goals; evidently they've never considered that black people and Hispanics can be just as gay as white folk - and partially a shield that they can use against criticism. "What do you mean, our views are prejudiced? Black people agree with us!"

To wit, "I'm not homophobic, some of my best friends are black!"

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Rhode Island has some evil Senators who introduced a bill to override the Governor's order to recognize out of state marriages.
Sounds legit!

Wait they are claiming that the public policy of Rhode Island overrides the the constitution? Its not even an amendment, full faith and credit is part of the original document.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Wait they are claiming that the public policy of Rhode Island overrides the the constitution? Its not even an amendment, full faith and credit is part of the original document.

Yeah, but if I recall correctly, FF&C only applies to actual judgments of law. For other stuff, courts can override sister state legal poo poo if the forum state views it as repugnant to local policy. Federal courts have been extra deferential when the matter involves family law.

I think. My memory of this entire subject is a bit hazy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ungulateman posted:

Hyperbole? On the Internet? Say it ain't so!

(The point remains that a lot of 'liberals' in America today are more right-wing than Republicans of years gone by like Reagan, let alone actual liberals like LBJ.)

By what metric? No one's arguing that there were pockets where liberalism had more push but you're suggesting a very strange notion right here.

By what metric is Reagan more liberal than literally any and all politicians today in America? Are we counting congress? I'm sure you could find more than a handful in the right states like Massachusetts or California.

If Reagan was more liberal than anyone today why is the only serious push for gay marriage that has a chance of succeeding actually happening today and not during the Reagan years? Don't romanticize the past out of a legitimate desire to prove that politicians could afford to lean a little more to the left.

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

RagnarokAngel posted:

By what metric? No one's arguing that there were pockets where liberalism had more push but you're suggesting a very strange notion right here.

By what metric is Reagan more liberal than literally any and all politicians today in America? Are we counting congress? I'm sure you could find more than a handful in the right states like Massachusetts or California.

If Reagan was more liberal than anyone today why is the only serious push for gay marriage that has a chance of succeeding actually happening today and not during the Reagan years? Don't romanticize the past out of a legitimate desire to prove that politicians could afford to lean a little more to the left.

He's most likely talking about spending priorities, and he's right.
Then there's Social Security.
On far too many things, the Democrats of today are like the Republicans of yesteryear. Which means, the Democrats are all about the holding action, yet slipping further right all the time.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
A lot of people get "Reagan" confused with "the laws that got passed while Reagan was president". Jim Wright was a very good speaker of the house and Democrats controlled the Congress. Just because Reagan signed a law or budget that the Democrats passed doesn't mean that he personally agreed with it. The whole "Reagan is more liberal than Obama!" is based around this misconception. Reagan is not personally more liberal than Obama, but the Congress under Reagan was more liberal than the Congress under Obama, and the Congress, not the President, is who passes the laws. There's some great books about Jim Wright's Speakership that go into great detail into the conflicts between Reagan and the Democratic Congress and how laws actually got made then.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The NAACP is officially supporting same-sex marriage.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/19/487265/breaking-naacp-endorses-marriage-equality/

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The NAACP is officially supporting same-sex marriage.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/19/487265/breaking-naacp-endorses-marriage-equality/

"An historic moment." :eng99:

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Boxman posted:

Yeah, but if I recall correctly, FF&C only applies to actual judgments of law. For other stuff, courts can override sister state legal poo poo if the forum state views it as repugnant to local policy. Federal courts have been extra deferential when the matter involves family law.

I think. My memory of this entire subject is a bit hazy.

This is correct, the FF&C clause is weird with regards to marriage since it is not among the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state." Therefore, marriages are recognized as a matter of convenience, not constitutional principle under the FF&C clause. Divorces, however, are judicial proceedings and therefore must be recognized - see the news about Maryland above.

None of this will matter if the Supreme Court rules that SSM marriage cannot be denied under the Equal Protection Clause.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

A Bag of Milk posted:

"An historic moment." :eng99:

That's actually the correct choice of article. It bumps me every time too. It has to do with the legacy of H'es not always being pronounced. So the H is ignored, and they treat "historic" like it starts with an I in the calculation of a/an. :science:

I think in the modern day grammar nazi's will be all up in your poo poo if you use "a historic moment," but I think both are viewed as correct.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, an historic moment is correct. Also, thank god, that's another dumb talking point the anti crowd just lost.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ErIog posted:

That's actually the correct choice of article. It bumps me every time too. It has to do with the legacy of H'es not always being pronounced. So the H is ignored, and they treat "historic" like it starts with an I in the calculation of a/an. :science:

I think in the modern day grammar nazi's will be all up in your poo poo if you use "a historic moment," but I think both are viewed as correct.

Welp, I also didn't know how to use "its" correctly until my 3rd year of college, so this hardly comes as a surprise to me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If all the recent endorsements lead to significant efforts in the fall, Maryland might not be a total disaster. :unsmith:

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

Hey everyone I had a disagreement with a friend of mine last night. Where were the first gay marriages in the US performed? She said Massachusetts, I thought it was in San Francisco.

VV: thanks

ThatsSoNotPLUR fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 20, 2012

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

Hey everyone I had a disagreement with a friend of mine last night. Where were the first gay marriages in the US performed? She said Massachusetts, I thought it was in San Francisco.

SF performed some about a month or two before MA started in 2004, but the legality of those were always in limbo and I think the CA supreme court voided them later in the year. So you're both correct in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

They were nullified but San Francisco did illegally issue licenses before the Massachusetts.

• Locked thread