Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MeramJert posted:

Well, there is the argument some people make for the abolition of all marriage, which is at least internally consistent. But I guess that would still be granting equal rights, if nobody could marry.

As an LGBT person, I think that removing the legal ability to join two couples from religious figures would be a fine compromise. That way, people can have their preferred religious ceremony, or not, but at the end of the day they'll have to go to City Hall to file for the legal rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

All I was saying was that I don't think religious figures should have any sort of legally binding power. At least, I was under the impression that priests were able to hand out licenses, is that not how it works?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

To add more to the discussion, this is about controlling what is seen as "normal". After reading Navigating Interracial Borders, a book about interracial relationships and how society views them, the author shows that Americans use marriage as a method to constitute what is normal. Its the reason why interracial marriages are frowned upon in the United States and why many religious conservatives are fighting so hard to keep gays from getting the right to marry.

Well it looks like my idea is bunk anyways since it looks like any random person can gain the rights to make marriages official, not just priests. My idea was to make marriage "nothing special" by removing the legal rights from the religious organizations so that all they can perform are unofficial ceremonies but clearly I was confused about how things work.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hmmm. Concentrating people... in places you might call camps. In order to wipe them out. A novel idea.

• Locked thread