Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RottenK posted:

Reads like a slippery slope thing to me. Might be accidental, of course.

Sounds like it is saying gay marriages will lead to legalized gay incest pedophelia to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The real solution is to anonymously leak the scandalous information to the press and hope no one traces it back to your office.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CrazyLittle posted:

Christian Dish Network satellite TV. (not a joke)

I use a Christian auto repair place for brake work because they are super close to my house.
Jesus fish, wall poster of Christan principles, and Christian radio piped through the speakers.
Car still smells like cigarette smoke when I get it back.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Prester John posted:

Thanks everyone, you are really flattering me here. I have spent a tremendous amount of time trying to understand the people I was raised around and I would like to think I've gotten somewhere with it all. I have created something of an internal database of concepts to describe and explain authoritarians. This may not be the proper thread for it, but if you guys like I could do a write up on one of the ideas that went into my predictions on all this with the huge caveat that it will be a bunch of unfalsifiable assertions all twisted together and stacked on top of one another. A string of assumptions strung together in a somewhat odd way as an attempt to explain the world around me. (Schizophrenics do this kind of alot, its a thing.) Basically I'm saying that it should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but might yield an interesting piece nonetheless.

Have you read The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I was raised in a Southern Christian family and I am old enough to remember the anti-christ panic over Clinton quite vividly. Even had some talks about how Hilary was the anti-christ and Bill was just the false prophet.
What makes the furor over Obama worse? The reach of the Internet? The twenty-four hour news cycle?
Why do things seem to be spiralling out of control? Is it just the Inner Narrative leaking out that has been seething for years?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

evilweasel posted:

while I appreciate Prester John's effort posts, if you want to psychoanalyze your political opponents please do so in another thread and preferably in another forum because it's generally a terrible thread when people sit around and determine what mental defects people who disagree with them have

I agree that this isn't the best thread, but people with Authoritarian Personalities do not have mental defects. My mom and dad and aunts and uncle are not mentally defective. They were raised as I was but without the birth of the Internet to let them explore other opinions while still young enough to change. By the time they reach adulthood, they are actively avoiding other viewpoints.
Hell, I avoid the stuff I was raised on because now it just make me angry and sad. That is not a mental illness.

Edit: as an LGBT person, some of my family would rather pretend I don't exist than admit that people like me aren't the abominations they've been led to believe in.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 23, 2015

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twodot posted:

I don't see why it would have anything to do with marriage equality.

This is why it should have its own thread.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Using religion to discriminate on racial lines is forbidden by SCOTUS.

Is there any chance that the US Supreme Court will look at all this foolishness and declare sexual orientation a suspect class as part of their ruling?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sharkie posted:

Well Arkansas's state legislature just passed it's own lovely bill: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/us/religious-freedom-restoration-act-arkansas-indiana.html. The Gov. has said he'll pass it, but maybe, just maybe the recent outrage will cause a rethink.

No. He will sign it for the bonus points and decry the godless left when it eventually gets gutted.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This talk about Big Gay, etc makes it seems like they believe it is just homosexuals pushing this agenda and not other decent, straight people who just like equality.

Is that part of their black / white thinking, that they cannot fathom a straight person being for equality unless a homosexual is pushing them?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Stroop There It Is posted:

But are gay, lesbian or bi trans people doubly responsible?

Yes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Prester John posted:

Hi, I'm a transwoman and you are wrong.

I am also trans woman.

Transgender people aren't even part of this discussion. The Supreme Court hasn't heard any arguments about gender identity and there is no way they will make a ruling broad enough to cover us.
The media is only just recently covering positive portrayals of trans people and the government has only recently began to properly track how many of us are murdered or kill ourselves. People still get away with murdering trans women by using variations of the "we are not natural and are deceptive" excuse. You can be fired simply for being trans in most states. There are people terrified about what bathroom we use.
Trans people are either living in stealth or living in fear, but it may be another fifteen years before we are afforded legal protections at a federal level.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ponzicar posted:

Not necessarily. Some of them believe in such rigidly defined gender roles, that even in a same sex relationship, one person has to be the dominant "Man" and the other the submissive "Woman".

When I came out as a trans woman, my conservative but well-meaning step dad asked if that meant my wife was now " the man " in our relationship. We had to explain that we are two women sharing equal responsibility.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I've been disappointed in my country for most of my life. I lived through Reagan and both Bushes. I remember the Iran-Contra scandal, numerous unjust wars, Citizen's United.
Then today, we get the ACA ruling and the marriage equality ruling.
This is the first time in memory that I have hope for this country. Maybe things can get better.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thesaurus posted:

The EEOC has already determined that discrimination on the basis of gay and transgender status is illegal in the private sector. They have already been litigating on that basis.

This new ruling just clarifies the issue for federal employees and spells out the legal reasoning in some more detail.

Edit: still a good thing for setting clear precedence and stating the position clearly.

Then where is my transgender-friendly private sector insurance? I'm lucky that my employer considers gender identity protected since Tennessee has a law preventing any city or county passing legislation to protect LGBT people. I can't be fired, but our insurance still explicitly excludes care related to being transgender.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

jivjov posted:

I'm vaguely tempted to ask one of those people "So are you opposed to black people having legally protected """special rights""" too?"

The answer may surprise you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes, I remember quite a few of us being shocked about the things folks in the RAAF would casually say about aboriginals when my squadron was down in Darwin for an exercise.

I picture Australia still being exactly like Quigley Down Under.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mordiceius posted:

In light of the Boy Scouts news, I'd just like to remind everyone: gently caress Robert Gates.

Yeah, it's great that they're ending bans but just listen to how he words the poo poo, basically saying "We lifted the ban because if we didn't, we would get sued a bunch and it would end up costing us a lot of money." The dude is a fucker.

Are the Mormons going to stop funding them? That'd be a big money hit, too.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

She was replaced by Captain America in the playset depicting her motorcycle drop from the jet Hawkeye was flying. It was even in the trailers.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Klaus88 posted:

And cops have AFVs as backup. AR-15s aren't poo poo against that kind of firepower. :laugh:

America's Funniest Home Videos or Armored Fighting Vehicles?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Party Plane Jones posted:

Can't they impeach/remove this halfwit again?

He'll just get reelected.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

fishmech posted:

So is every other Christian sect to at least a hundred million other christians, sometimes to as much as more than a billion other Christians. Shut up with your shpiel like Mormons are less christian than televangelists and megachurches, they ain't.

lol

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Mormon Jesus and the Mormon devil are brothers. You get to run your own planet when you die.
https://youtu.be/QTYEtttwU18

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Choadmaster posted:

I remember when I was in high school in the 90's and I thought this was a new thing. Then some teacher made us do reports on on our day of birth, and there on the microfiche-archived copy of the local newspaper was a front-page article from 1980 about the fight for gay rights.

I think many young people (like metalloid or myself) often feel the moment(s) of peak importance for gay rights coincides with whenever they happened to gain awareness of it. The rate of change has certainly been accelerating in the last couple decades, but it's a fight that has been around for a long, long while. It's hard to peg a here's where it really started to matter.

Stonewall riots in 1969?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How does this fit into a world where Gay Panic and now Trans Panic are legitimate defenses against murdering someone? Murderers can end up with lesser sentences for killing an at-risk minority.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Subjunctive posted:

Or consider employment law. If I have 3 people on a team facing layoffs, I can't lay off Jane just because she's a woman, but I can lay her off if I choose randomly. Only difference is why I perform the act, not what the act is. Acceptable?

But that is exactly what businesses do? Fabricate a reason to lay off the person they want to get rid of, often by selective enforcement of the rules.
It's not easy to prove unless someone fucks up and writes something down.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Subjunctive posted:

I was addressing the legal situation of motivation affecting legality, not whether the laws we have of that nature are universally effective. It's not easy to prove a hate crime either, unless someone fucks up and yells a slur. Conspiracies can be hard too. Are you saying that difficulty in enforcement means they should be taken off the books?

(But what rule enforcement affects layoffs? If someone is in violation of policy you fire them, you don't lay them off.)

My dad was friends with this old white guy (since deceased) in Mississippi. He owned his own small business and needed an admin assistant.
He asked the staffing agency why they kept sending black woman because he intended to hire a white woman. Obviously, all hell broke loose. He didn't get it at all. In his mind, he was just being honest and thought he was saving everybody's time. In the end, he had to interview black woman that he had no intention of hiring.
Is that a better outcome? Should he have been fined or jailed for hiring a white girl anyway?
The best option would be "don't be an old racist," but he was way past that possibility.

The laws are absolutely needed. This old white guy was 100% in the wrong. At the same time, what black woman enjoys working for someone that they know for a fact thinks they are less of a person than a white lady?

It's complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

deadly_pudding posted:

Has anybody in these complete shithouse states actually come out and said how they plan to enforce bathroom laws? I would pay somebody for the opportunity to be a bouncer outside the restrooms at their legislature building so I could demand birth certificates from all these fine lawmakers. It's just not safe to let somebody enter the men's room unless you know what they're packing, you know?

I hope we see activists doing like the restroom version of a disputable youtube copyright claim, where they sue a business for endangering their gender purity or whatever and it becomes a big weird clusterfuck as they try to subpoena birth certificates for every person who might have used the bathroom that day. Unfortunately, we won't see that because actually it's expensive to engage our legal system; you'd have to get cooperation from the ACLU or something. It would be a wonderful circus where the court has to be shown that, although this man has very delicate and ladylike hands, his documentation indicates that he, indeed, was allowed to be in that bathroom.

See how many cases like that can hit the system before somebody realizes it was maybe a bad idea to make a civil law code about being in the bathroom while expressing ambiguous gender characteristics. Try and set one up where the plaintiff is adamant that some old lady in the third stall was Mitch McConnell in a dress. The court has to hear it, that's the point of putting the law on the books.

The proposed Kansas law let's people sue businesses for $2500 if they catch a trans person in the "wrong" restroom.

• Locked thread