Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Fox Nation is their community blog site. Fox is evil, but they're not stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

mintskoal posted:

On the other hand, Rush said "We've arrived at a point where the President of the United States is going to lead a war on traditional marriage" on his radio show today.

His radio show isn't on Fox, and he knows he can get away with saying almost anything after surviving the birth control fiasco. I'm not saying that was a good headline, I'm just saying be accurate with your accusations otherwise you lose credibility to people on the fence.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jayisspecial posted:

If Obama had come out as a show of support in NC, not only would the amendment have still passed, but it would look like he was on the wrong side of the people. The GOP would have had a field day lambasting him as a loser on the issue. How could that have ever been a net gain?

"Oh no, Obama would look bad if he endorsed basic human rights! :qq:" You do realize that that is what your argument boils down to, correct?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Call me naive and idealist all you want, but timing your announcement about supporting basic human rights for maximum political impact is disgusting. A minor nuanced policy issue? Sure, go ahead and play your support for maximum timing. An issue where tons of people are having their rights violated daily? gently caress no, you need to throw your support behind it ASAP.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yes they can? They just have to have a different estimation of how it would affect his campaign than his campaign team does.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

killer_app posted:

Most of this comment is so ludicrous, unrealistic, hyperbole-filled, and laughable it sounds like the kind of YouTube comment that usually follows "flying death robots" with "Building 7!"

Are you saying drones are a thing that doesn't exist?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, an historic moment is correct. Also, thank god, that's another dumb talking point the anti crowd just lost.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Specifically, Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon on February 12, 2004 in San Fran, which was later voided. Oregon also issued licenses that were later voided before Massachusetts. Mass just had the first ones to stick.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Power dynamics. It's extremely easy for a family member, especially an older one, to pressure someone into something like that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My friend's moms were interviewed for this article on the Michigan delay, as they were planning on getting married yesterday. Her mom Beth's quote sums the whole loving thing up perfectly.

quote:

"I'm not going to another state to get married," says Bashert. "It's Michigan's job. It's my home, it's their job to give my rights and responsibilities."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Spiffster posted:

According to NPR, apparently Michigan married same sex couples that have applied for name changes are being turned away until it's determined if their marriages will be upheld... How the hell can they stop someone from changing their name

My friend's adoptive moms were one of the lucky couples to get married, and one of them got their last name changed to the other's 20 years ago. It's so stupid that they're denying the name change over this when they've issued name changes to unmarried lesbian couples in the past.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hey, don't be so quick to forget the Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

The sixth circuit has. :sigh:

Oh, right. I forgot about you guys since I'm in seventh and my friend's moms in MI were one of the lucky couples to get married during the short window. Keep up the good fight though! Us states slightly to your west are cheering for you!

• Locked thread