Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

Judge strikes down Florida's SSM ban... but for the Florida Keys only.

Licenses can be issued starting Tuesday at the earliest. A couple of other lawsuits are still pending that could bring marriage equality to the entire state.

Naturally it's the Conch Republic that gets the ball rolling on this, but I'm hopeful that my state will bow to what is both inevitable and right. Tallahassee's going to fight this tooth and nail, I suspect, but I think most of the state is ready to go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skaboomizzy posted:

Even notoriously lovely Governor Rick Scott is dodging questions about marriage equality now, and the FL AG office isn't really fighting too hard to defend the traditional marriage amendment that passed in 2008. We'll get marriage equality here probably by end of 2015 if not sooner.

Yeah, Rick Scott would rather line his pockets with taxpayer money than waste time fighting marriage equality.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, I think Rick Scott's primary concern at this point is and always has been making as much personal money off of taxpayers as he can rather than worrying about actual politics or government.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

So is Florida just gonna keep doing this for each of its gazillion counties or something? I would hope a statewide ruling would be coming .

Knowing our state government, Tallahassee has its fingers in its ears and will continue to go "LA LA LA LA LA! What's that, gay marriage? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" as long as humanly possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lemming posted:

If they're going to go with the biological argument they should be fine with 2 women and 1 man as well, since you can baby like that now.

And be against elderly couples, couples in which one or both are for one reason or other incapable, and couples that don't intend to immediately have children.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hangedman1984 posted:

It legits pisses me off, these religious agencies voluntarily shut down, then blame it on the mean old gays.

Saying "We're a bunch of spiteful old shits who would call Jesus Christ a communist Muslim terrorist if he came back tomorrow" would make their funding dry up, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

All three counties are different; Monroe, Miami-Dade and the latest is Broward.

Key West, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale. I can't see Tallahassee sweating over this - I think they'll get worried when a county north of I-4 overturns. I really can't see them giving a gently caress one way or another otherwise unless maybe Tampa and Orlando join in.

If this proceeds in Florida mainly on a county basis, expect Duval county - Jacksonville - to be the turning point, I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

I'm not sure how many cases are left in the pipeline for Florida. I am scratching my head at why none of the rulings were ever applicable beyond their respective counties. Every other case we hear about in the country had it cover the entire state. Is this just Florida being Florida?

There's supposedly a state-level trial awaiting a verdict, but it's been awaiting a verdict for a while now. I suspect Tallahassee is trying to drag it out as long as humanly possible without actually *opposing* it. They really don't like to acknowledge that the peninsula from Orlando on south is a meaningful part of Florida.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 5, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chris James 2 posted:

It racks up the count of rulings for marriage equality in a row since DOMA was struck down, so I'm okay with this :getin:

You can always trust us to gently caress up what should be a simple political process down here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chokes McGee posted:

There, that should save some time for future Florida posters. :v:

Correction: you can always trust Tallahassee to gently caress up. Florida is solidly a purple state leaning blue, but our state government still wants and tries very hard to pretend we're a dyed-in-the-wool red state.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So when are these stays finally going to be overturned? Seems like gay marriage is just in a holding pattern where it's "legalized" then in the same breath stopped again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So effectively all these state decisions are kind of meaningless. Hooray.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

katium posted:

I thought PA would be one of the last states (we certainly weren't getting it through legislatively anytime soon), so hang in there. Don't forget Mississippi and Alabama; they'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming into modern times just like they were with racial equality.

It's debatable if the latter has happened. De facto segregated proms still make the news every year from those two states, and occasionally Georgia and the Carolinas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some of the other states preparing to fall should be fun to watch, too. Florida, I don't expect much trouble out of my home state, but Texas, Idaho, and Arkansas? :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think this is a good example of the judicial system working how it's supposed to: protecting minorities from tyranny of the majority.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I think it's worth noting that support of same-sex marriage is no longer the minority opinion in the US, at least in recent polls.

Not in some states, however, and that's without getting into the whole silent majority thing a lot of conservatives believe in.

My state won't be too much longer, I hope. Tallahassee is hopelessly corrupt and out of touch with the peninsula, but they are decent about seeing which way the wind is blowing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ah, that's fair about the individual states, and it's probably where this "they're going against the will of the people!" outrage by conservative governors is coming from.

Florida is probably going to bow to the inevitable - Tallahassee is full of poo poo, but if money isn't involved they're not stubborn about accepting change.

I'm expecting Louisiana or Mississippi to be the last holdout.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

Incidentally, Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi is gonna have to answer some questions tonight... that's when she faces her Democratic opponent in their one and only televised debate. :getin:

Pity I have plans for tonight. This could be fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
States with bans ruled unconstitutional pending appeals: Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, and Idaho.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ColdPie posted:

Isn't this precisely what the courts said isn't true?

Yep. The majority do not have the right to take away the rights of minorities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rorus Raz posted:

I sometimes wonder what these people expect the courts to do.

Make rulings they agree with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

Apparently Florida's Attorney General Debate is already over. Here's the topic-relevant part:

And if you're curious if Bondi is gonna win re-election... she's gonna win re-election.

I'm oddly confident in Florida about this, actually. Tallahassee's head may be jammed so far up its rear end Ouroboros would be impressed, but I think they know which way the wind is blowing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Node posted:

Jim lost a right today. He used to be able to do something yesterday, but now isn't allowed to. America is done for.

I'm pretty sure he's still going to be a hateful bigot towards gay people, legal right to or no.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chris James 2 posted:

republicantears.jpg forever

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A good line from there, regarding "Why aren't gays happy with just domestic partnerships?":

"If Nevada were concerned, as the Coalition purports it to be, that staterecognition of same-sex unions would make the institution of marriage “genderless” and thereby undermine opposite-sex spouses’ commitments to eachother and their children, it would be ill-advised to permit opposite-sex couples to participate in the alternative domestic partnership regime it has established.However, Nevada does just that."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chris James 2 posted:

The stay's temporary, expires 91 days after the Supreme Court declined to hear the cases (which means early-January). Plaintiffs asked for it to be lifted before, and the AG and Governor "intend to fight", but either way it looks like Florida gets it legalized by or in 2015.

In short, we're dragging it out as long as we can without actually saying no and everyone knows they're not actually going to say no because it's not really worth fighting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SquadronROE posted:

I saw the first argument that the gays will kill jobs. Apparently this gentleman believes that gays will start suing churches that don't perform gay weddings, and any business that is Christian will be shut down.

Odd. I attend a Christian church that has a lesbian pastor who's happily married to a woman. :v: Of course, they probably don't regard Lutherans as Christian...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I'm seeing this epithetic phrase being thrown around a lot these days, and I find it mind-boggling. Do they think SCOTUS should have to run national election campaigns? How is holding an unelected position, as per the constitution, negative?

The whole notion of the Founders creating a system of checks and balances in part to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority is not a fact allowed to exist in their world view.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SquadronROE posted:

That's the thing. They don't like that the majority isn't allowed to enforce its will on the minority.

And the fact that the Founders specifically drew up the Constitution to stop that from happening is a fact that their world view, which includes all but worshiping the Founders, does not permit to exist.

Most of these people would read "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" to have an extra asterisk at that point saying "Except blacks, browns, yellows, Jews, Muslims, atheists, gays, and anyone else who isn't exactly like me."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm anti-abortion (except in cases of rape, incest, or the mother's life is in danger) but pro-choice. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hedera Helix posted:

So, how effective has this position been in keeping abortion available in the cases you claim it's justified in? :allears:

Note the difference. Whatever my personal feelings about abortion, I believe that neither I nor the government have any business making that decision for women, so I'm wholeheartedly pro-choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FourLeaf posted:

Oh lord. And how in the world do you justify that? Isn't a rape or incest baby worth just as much as a non-rape/incest baby?

E: gently caress it, you've said you're not trying to force this bad opinion on other people so I won't question it.

I regard abortion as an extremely distasteful but sometimes necessary medical procedure. However, I believe that the decision whether or not to have an abortion should be made only by the woman in question, not by me or the government or anyone else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nth Doctor posted:

That's an awfully broad brush with which to paint. I know many Christians who interpret Acts 10 a bit less narrowly than only applying to dietary laws. The key point of the passage to me is "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." which is applicable way more universally than whether it is cool to eat bacon.

While there are shitheaded ones who read it like you say and also have a huge hate-on for same sex marriage, but I think the number is diminishing day by day.

As a pro-same-sex-marriage Christian myself, I'm content with the view that Jesus never said a word about homosexuality, and I figure that if it was important, he would have said so. Peter and Paul had moments of being shitheads in general. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

And if Jesus had said something nasty about homosexuals?

What if Hitler was gay and black?

Maybe I'd have different feelings about homosexuality and same-sex marriage. Maybe I wouldn't and I'd come up with a different justification if people brought up how Christianity could be interpreted to be anti-homosexuality. Who knows. It's beside the point. Straight Christian here who supports same-sex marriage.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm asking what has priority for you, your own sense of morality or the words of your god?

Yes. It's equally likely that if the Bible were different I'd believe differently or believe the same thing and come up with a different justification/rationalization. I don't see the point in debating this line of thought, as it's straight into gay black history alternate history nonsense which can be fun to consider but has nothing to contribute to this thread.

My bringing it up was me explaining how I justify being an active Christian who supports same-sex marriage to people who don't share that view or see those two stances as contradictory. I attend a Christian church that performs same-sex weddings (religious ceremonies only, as Florida currently doesn't allow legal same-sex marriage) and hope that the Supreme Court will legalize gay marriage nation-wide sooner rather than later.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 10, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Florida filed an emergency appeal to SCOTUS to prevent marriages from being issued when the federal court stay ends on Jan 5th.

Please gently caress off, Tallahassee. You continue to be an embarrassment and active detriment to the state.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

And yet they all just got voted back in. :haw:

When the alternative was literally another Republican candidate and the courts went "Voter suppression in heavily Hispanic counties? Nope, nothing to see here, please proceed," I don't blame the results, really. I think Florida would be better off if everything north of Orlando was just folded into Georgia and Alabama.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skaboomizzy posted:

For those of you proposing a Florida split, I hope you have Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties in South Florida. I'd rather move back to Pittsburgh than live in FloriBamGia.

Tampa Bay is south of Orlando, yeah. It would be excising Tallahassee, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Gainesville, and maybe Daytona Beach.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In further evidence that Tallahassee needs to be burned to the ground, the Florida legal system is apparently now trying to figure out if clerks issuing same-sex marriage licenses in January should be arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You wanna copy/paste that over? It's blocked by a signup.

quote:

Gay-rights activists were ecstatic: Come Jan. 6, they thought, Florida same-sex couples would be lining up at courthouses across the state to get married.

But that is not what the people who issue marriage licenses in Florida — county clerks of court — say.

They are trying to determine whether a Tallahassee law firm is right when it says that every Florida clerk, except Washington County's, would be committing a crime if he or she issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

The firm of Greenberg Traurig, legal counsel to the Florida Association of Court Clerks and Comptrollers, this week updated a memo it sent July 1 that says the same thing: If you issue a marriage license to two people of the same sex, you've committed a first-degree misdemeanor and could spend a year in the county jail.

In a statement Tuesday, Executive Director Kenneth A. Kent said, "At this time of uncertainty, the Florida Court Clerks & Comptrollers have been advised by the association to follow the advice of our legal counsel and not issue same-sex marriage licenses until a binding order is issued by a court of proper jurisdiction."

"I think they're dead wrong," said Elizabeth White, one of the Jacksonville lawyers representing Stephen Schlairet and Ozzie Russ, a same-sex Washington County couple who, along with several others, convinced U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle in Tallahassee to overturn Florida's ban on same-sex marriage in August.

He imposed a stay, however, to give the state time to appeal. Two weeks ago, when the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the state's request to extend the stay beyond Jan. 5, gay-rights activists began planning celebrations for what many believe will be a flood of same-sex-marriage applications Jan. 6.

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi on Monday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to extend the stay. Daniel Tilley, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union who represents several gay and lesbian couples in that case, pointed out that since October, the high court has rejected every similar appeal.

And even though judges in Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties have independently found Florida's ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional, clerks in those counties, too, would be subject to arrest, according to Greenberg Traurig, should they issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples Jan. 6.

That's because they were not specifically named in the North Florida case decided by Judge Hinkle.

Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, called the prospect of clerks being arrested ludicrous.

"Are local officials seriously preparing to arrest and criminally charge county clerks for enforcing a federal judge's order? That's preposterous."

"When a federal judge declares a law unconstitutional, all public officials should cease enforcing that law. Period," he said in a written statement.

In Central Florida, some people have already begun preparing for same-sex marriages on Jan. 6.

The Osceola County Commission voted Monday to open the clerk's office in Kissimmee from 12:01 a.m. to 2 a.m. that day to allow same-sex couples to get licenses.

But Osceola Clerk Armando Ramirez said Tuesday he would follow Greenberg Traurig's advice and not issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples until there's another court ruling.

"According to the advisory, I would be subject to criminal penalties if I issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple," he said.

Orange County Clerk Tiffany Moore Russell did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Seminole County Clerk Maryanne Morse said last week that because she was not specifically named in the Tallahassee federal suit, she believes the ruling does not apply to her.

Lake County Clerk Neil Kelly said he is not sure what to do but is relying on legal advice from Greenberg Traurig.

Orange-Osceola State Attorney Jeff Ashton's office did not say whether he would prosecute Moore Russell, Ramirez or any of their employees should they issue the licenses.

In Seminole-Brevard, State Attorney Phil Archer hinted that he would prosecute no one. In a prepared statement, he said the issue "would be best addressed in civil court."

Michael P. Allen, an associate dean at the Stetson University College of Law, said the Greenberg Traurig firm is technically right: Hinkle's order applies only to the defendants named in the suit: Florida's surgeon general, who records an individual's marital status on death certificates; Florida's secretary of the Department of Management Services, who administers state-employee retirement benefits; and the clerk of the Panhandle's Washington County, the one who would not give Schlairet and Russ a marriage license.

But Allen said it's also bad public policy. Clerks who follow it, he said, will likely be sued for violating the constitutional rights of any same-sex couple applying for a marriage license Jan. 6 or thereafter and is denied.

"It is just going to create a tremendous amount of litigation, lawsuit after lawsuit," Allen said.

White, the Jacksonville lawyer involved in the Tallahassee federal suit, said her firm would move aggressively against clerks who do not issue marriage licenses.

"On Jan. 6 if [same-sex] couples are denied marriage licenses, we will be knocking on courthouse doors," she said.

In most other places where a ban on gay marriage has been ruled unconstitutional, state and local officials have chosen not to dig in and engage in a county-by-county fight, Allen said.

"Most states have not done that, frankly, because it seems pretty mean-spirited," he said.

In 35 states, same-sex couples now have the right to marry.

In 2008, 62 percent of Florida voters approved a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. But since July 17, four state trial judges — all in South Florida — have declared it unconstitutional. Those are in addition to the Tallahassee federal case that created the looming Jan. 5 deadline.

Most of those state court rulings, though, have been stayed while Bondi pursues appeals.

• Locked thread