Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Valie posted:

It's the exact opposite, actually; voting for a third party will in almost all cases amount to more than voting for the republicans or democrats.

Can you point out precedence of this that's younger than a century or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you think the major cause of the rightward shift of the country between 2000 and 2004 was a few thousand Nader voters you are probably age ten or an idiot.

It's not so much a rightward shift as the lack of a leftward one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah, alright then. We can add that to the (small but slowly growing) pile of "good poo poo Obama's done."

Though I've heard before that the only thing stopping national gay marriage in the US is the fundies being really good at keeping the issue away from the SCOTUS. Is the Supreme Court really, firmly on the side of not being stupid this time around, or could it go unexpectedly (and poorly)? I mean, this is the court that passed Citizens United; I don't consider them the high-water mark of progressive rulings, really.

The reason the Supreme Court hasn't heard this case is that it takes a minimum of four justices to approve hearing a case, and the one guy that flip-flops in the 5-4 decisions (Kennedy) could literally go either way depending on the case, so it's not something that either the progressive or conservative wing of the court (or people in general) really want/ed to deal with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Gentoo posted:

I think they're also saying that it must be only whites who are being gay. Or maybe that if gay people are straight instead they'll have white kids no matter what.

To be fair to them, there is a trend in the media in portraying homosexuals as white and/or downplaying minority homosexuals.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Loving Life Partner posted:

Just saw this and wanted to post, cause it's a great lil graphic

If I'm reading that right, does that mean that the greyed out blue squares (for example) mean that there's no specific condemnation or acceptance of LGBTs for adopting in the law?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ungulateman posted:

:eng101: Reagan was more left-wing than any politician in America today or in the 90s. So that's actually supporting Steak's idea.

Of course, America was more left-wing than now at pretty much any date after WW1, so...

I think you're forgetting about the 1920's and Calvin "claim to fame was breaking a Police strike" Coolidge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Oldest Man posted:

The hippies of the sixties (baby boomers born in the late 40s and early 50s) are not the same generation as people born in the sixties who turned out in droves for Reagan.

The hippies of the sixties are also not the same as the people in the same generation who were still pretty drat conservative.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cocks Cable posted:

What happens when part 3 of DOMA is struck down? If I get my gay marriage on in a nice state, is my federal recognition only applicable while I am in the select few states that have enacted marriage equality? As soon as I move or even take a road trip from MA to say FL, the federal gov't no longer considers me married?

I assume it means that any federal benefits stay with you but any state benefits would vary based on the local laws.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Donkwich posted:

So what if marriage isn't wholly religious? If marriage wasn't state-supported, there would be no reason why any group of people, be it a church, community organization, or group of people, couldn't recognize a couple as "married".

I haven't been a libertarian ever since I became an adult.

If you could magic away the cultural implications behind marriage sure, everything would be fine, but you can't.

This is also why attempting to make offensive slurs meaningless is a Bad Idea and doesn't work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrNutt posted:

Just got back from a truly surreal experience. Had Sunday family dinner at my overwhelmingly conservative father's household to find out that everyone of registered voting age voted for WA State's R74. And half of them even voted for marijuana legalization. This is a Fox News household. I'm not even sure what to make of all this.

Western conservatism has traditionally been "leave me alone, but do whatever the gently caress you want" in nature.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hangedman1984 posted:

while that may have been true at one point, that hasn't really been the case (in the U.S. at least) ever since conservatives got in bed with evangelicals.

No, even then the Western US has traditionally been less religious than other parts of the country.

Mind you, in the past decade or so some religious conservatives have been thumping stuff up (there was a 10 Commandments battle I remember) but in general you're more likely to be shot for raising taxes than being a Muslim.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea except for all those western conservatives who want constitutional amendments to ban me from ever getting married, want to criminalize being gay and ban me from being around kids ever, try to literally ban mosques from being built ever, and try to force women to give up agency over their reproductive rights.

Totally a hands off ideology if you think about it.

They do now, but traditionally they didn't. In fact, things like medical marijuana was allowed at the state level for a very long time.

You are aware which states I'm specifically referring to, correct? I said nothing about the South.

e: that being said, yes, the Mormons are a very large influence in the region.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

He's talking about the western states as well, and his civil rights, not weed smoking.

Nevada allows for Civil Unions though?

Again, I'm talking historically; within the past decade yes lovely stuff has happened.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 29, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jrodefeld posted:

No marriage has not always been involved with governments. For many centuries, marriage for most people was simply a religious ceremony and tradition.

Marriage has been a tool of property law since pre-Roman days. Even peasants used marriage as an asset to combine resources to better survive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's a loving shame that the outcome of this case is even in question in the year 2012.

Which year would it not be a shame?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barry Convex posted:

There's a certain narrative that the SCOTUS ruling in Roe v. Wade created a backlash against abortion rights, and that a SCOTUS ruling nationalizing same-sex marriage would have a similar impact on that issue. Neither half of that narrative is correct, but DC political elites seem fairly susceptible to it, including Justice Ginsburg herself.

And that's why I don't expect SCOTUS to nationalize same-sex marriage anytime soon.

That could just force her to write a concurring opinion rather than agree with the majority, though, depending on which case it is.

e: Like if it would be 6-3 with her, she could write her own thing saying how this case is right but nationalizing gay marriage is wrong, and it'd still be okay.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

One of the years that America had better human-rights laws than South Africa, I guess

So "never", gotcha.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peven Stan posted:

When can we expect a decision?

June.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OMGVBFLOL posted:

3) Court overturns the 9th Circuit's decision; nobody really seems to consider this to be very likely, but would make Prop 8 stand, setting national precedent that state constitutional amendments banning gay marriage can be put to a popular vote.

What parts am I wrong about? What am I leaving out?

As best I can tell this isn't true. The only question in the Prop 8 case is whether a state and give rights to a minority and then take them away at a future date. The question of whether gay couples could have their right to marriage blocked by a state isn't in question.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fade5 posted:

:psyduck: You mean the US is actually ahead of the curve on something? Wow. I'm happily shocked.

There's a reason why people were only clamoring to ban mosques in the US while in Europe they actually did ban them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurtofan posted:

Now that's a bit of an overstatement, the Swiss banned the construction of minarets, which is a xenophobic move but it's not quite the same, "Europe" never banned mosques, even if there is much clamoring like in the US.

True, probably should have used the French banning burqas instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Oh, politics. Where being a decent goddamn human being merits congratulations.

I'm curious as to what you would consider merits congratulations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Glitterbomber posted:

Huh I thought Germany was rather socially liberal about poo poo like this? I guess I missed something. Still, good for the ones on the basic human dignity train!

Two of their parties in their coalition are Christian ones; for obvious reasons they're not going to be that gay friendly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

And a lot you wouldn't expect to have it that do. Argentina, South Africa, Spain, and Portugal are pretty surprising to me.

I believe when Spain legalized it the King said something along the lines of "Of course I'm legalizing it, I'm not the King of Belgium. :mmmsmug:"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

platzapS posted:

CONTENT:

Wyoming legislature may debate marriage, domestic partnerships, and non-discrimination.
Living up to their nickname. :unsmith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

katium posted:

Of course they could decide to take a broad stance on the Prop 8 case, and if overturned, that would affect the marriage amendments in other states. But I think they'll vote to uphold Prop 8 under the guise of states' rights.

I think that's less likely then voting to overturn Obamacare on state's rights, and you see how that ended up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grundulum posted:

Don't we already have that for heterosexual marriages? When I got married, it wasn't like I could force a church to let me have the ceremony on its grounds. Or is this more of a "protecting our right to discriminate" kind of thing?

By fair, the major reason that a lot of people don't support gay marriage is because they think that it means that gays can force churches to marry them. Adding this sort of exception is a thing which will not change anything (who wants to get married at a church that's actively hostile to you?) but makes some people feel better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hangedman1984 posted:

Is this supposed to be an actual organization, or just people who don't think the gay people are literally possessed by demons?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/02/friends-of-hamas-and-andrew-breitbarts-legacy.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pillowpants posted:

How can this happen and we not see the Tea Party crowd split off and form its own actual party?

Coalitions in the US are incredibly sticky. That being said, it's rapidly approaching the point where people are going to start splitting off (or shutting up).

e: Remember that the last of the Southern Democrats (not the dudes who switched but the dudes that literally had a D after their name) only finally got voted out 30 years after the Civil Right Act was passed.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 27, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boxman posted:

I'm sure these sorts of questions have been asked, but:

DOMA is what allows states to ignore other states marriage licenses, right? If DOMA is struck down, would full faith & credit allow for tourist marriages that are valid back home?

There are two sections of DOMA which are controversial - one section is what you said, refusing the full faith and credit clause, the other one is the federal government not recognizing homosexual marriages at all. I believe that only the latter may be struck down, but if the former also is then yes you could theoretically marry someone and then come back to your state and it would be valid (or move somewhere and it's still valid, etc).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red_Mage posted:

I think it is a likely outcome. It would require a masterfully written opinion to write an opinion that upholds a state's right to not recognize another state's marriages and not overturn Loving v. Virginia. And say what you will about Clarence Thomas (he is a boot licking uncle tom), he won't sign onto a majority that overturns Loving.

I mean there might be a way to write an opinion that doesn't allow Alabama's standing anti-miscegenation laws to kick back into effect, but I don't know if they can find it.

No, they could just say "We're only going to focus on Section 3 (the federal recognition part), regardless of the constitutionality of the other parts". I'm pretty sure they've done that before in other cases.

I think the main point though is that if they're going to overturn, they'll go whole hog on it just to get it out of the way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amused to Death posted:

Are the amicus briefs filed to the court ever released? I'd like to read the ones coming from the Mormon church and company.

They appear to be one of those things which aren't restricted legally but aren't available online anywhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red_Mage posted:

I like how it is signed onto by the Gun Owners Foundation, because nothing says advancing gun rights like making sure those filthy queers cannot marry.

To be fair, the Gun Owner's Foundation is literally the people who think the NRA is going soft on gun rights.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Why is it the pro-equality speakers always seem so much happier than the anti-equality speakers, you think?

Because they're winning?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spiffster posted:

Don't get me wrong, that truly would be excellent if that happened, mainly to show how far we've come and it was overwhelmingly supported. it just seems too generous of a result given the court that is presently meeting. I've always seen it squeezing by in the traditional "in a 5-4 decision..." In favor of striking down 8. Not sure if DOMA will be touched, and might be kicked down the road. This might just be me being pessimistic though :ohdear:

Roberts will join it regardless of Kennedy because he's more concerned with his legacy than Nixon was with his tapes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

showbiz_liz posted:

A friend of mine posted this, which sort of took away the fun:

"It's really nice to see all these statuses and pictures in support of equality this morning. But I just hate that people are using the Human Rights Campaign logo.

HRC is both the largest and the least effective gay advocacy organization in the country. Its leadership actually argued AGAINST filing this very lawsuit being heard today over CA's gay marriage ban. They considered it too radical. Too much too soon.

It's an old story. The activists drag these big DC groups kicking and screaming all the way to the finish line whereupon they raise gobs of money by saying it was their idea the whole time. Oh well...

Sorry for the inside baseball. It just bothers me, that's all."

Mine just did this:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mercury_Storm posted:

the divorce rate is near 50%

Is it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teddybear posted:

The shift has happened a lot faster. Note that the national in this chart is still under 50% for 2012. Opinion has shifted in favor of same-sex marriage a hell of a lot faster than anyone really expected. I'd say we're closer to the 2016 numbers today than we are 2012.

Do we have a state breakdown though? It could be that the national average is higher but only because the pro-equality states ran up the vote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This seems like a decent point to run on during 2014, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sweeney Tom posted:

Texas A&M's student body president, in a bold move, vetoed a bill that would have let students opt out of funding the GLBT Resource Center with their activity fees if they had religious objections.

Claybrook’s veto marks the second victory in as many days over measures targeting campus LGBT resource centers in Texas. On Thursday night, under immense pressure from the LGBT community, state Rep. Bill Zedler, R-Arlington, withdrew a budget amendment that would have prohibited universities from using state funds “to support, promote, or encourage any behavior that would lead to high risk behavior for AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, or any sexually transmitted disease.”

There's actually a movement on campus to withdraw the guy that proposed it too.

The bill was a non-binding thing in either case, but it doesn't exactly help the reputation of A&M as "the least gay friendly campus in the nation" (yes, including Liberty U).

• Locked thread