Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Amarkov posted:

I like the magnet argument best. Two N ends of magnets, similar to two penises, repel each other.

I've always liked the idea that it's like the evil mirror-world version of hetero-sex, it has a goatee and an evil smirk, like in that Star Trek episode. :v:

Note: Actual argument made to me by a homophobic trekkie, for serious. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Light Eternal posted:

Remember that coach in Texas in the 50s that fielded an all-black team in the NCAA basketball finals to protest racism? We should only send gay athletes to the Olympics.

You're thinking of Don Haskins. He did not field an all black team as a protest, and the team was not all black, the starting line up was. He said that he used a all black starting line up because he felt that they were his best five players and he just really wanted to win that championship. Now he was well ahead of the curve as far as attitudes towards race go, he did not let the fact that his players were black blind him to how good they were at the game whereas many of his contemporaries almost certainly would have. But in the end he would have fielded white players too if he felt it would have given him a better chance at winning.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's a good thing. This combined with the 'yea we'll get your gay rear end to a state where you can marry' rule means the federal government is basically officially saying that civil unions are not marriage, and that's good because they're not.

I also like it because a month turnover is lightning loving fast for a huge bureaucracy like the military, it shows they are putting real priority on it, if I had been asked before this I would have guessed it would take them around a year to get around to offering policy changes like this.

EDIT: Saw this posted in another thread and I thought it was pretty great: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/428601/august-14-2013/people-who-are-destroying-america---johnny-cummings

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 15, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I have heard stupidity from the right wing but this is one might be the craziest

Problem Solved.:smuggo::smugdog::smugbert:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Spiffster posted:

In Midwest gay marriage news, recently Eli Lilly in Indianapolis has came out in support for Gay Marriage. This is much to the chagrin of our local congressmen who have had the Amendment against same sex marriage tabled since DOMA hit the Supreme Court. This article in the Indianapolis Business Journal was a surprise to me though. It's worth a read. It threw me for a second because of how weird our state can be when it comes to Tea Party bullcrap.

Ahahah, that article is wonderful, it just drips with sarcastic invective for anti-marriage types. :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Teddybear posted:

A hot daddy for a Mormon. :dance:

A big daddy's hot daddy that is. :sissies:

Though I hope he ordered it with extra mayo. :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marriage equality has fuckall to do with men wanting to take multiple wives. It's a stupid derail and has nothing to do with the fight that's going on in courts and in the public across the country.

This thread has since it's inception been about the recognition and legalization of same-sex marriage. The thread title doesn't say "gay marriage" or even "same-sex marriage" because those two terms treat it like it's a separate entity that should necessarily be separated. The reality is gay people are just wanting the same rights as anyone else. They absolutely deserve this, and it's a small victory each step we get closer towards it.

Polygamy, bestiality, incest, cats marrying dogs, etc are all just slippery slope arguments against allowing two consenting adults to wed and just derail what is a pretty informative thread about the fight that my friends and family are continuing nationwide.

Yeah, but what about if a bunch of lesbians or gay dudes want the right to get married polyamorously? Seems like you only care about some kinds of marriage and not others. :colbert:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

Where the hell do these exist? Good god that is fowl.

Mostly conservative "Christian" areas. The idea is that the good, upstanding "Christian" parents can be made aware of the hellspawn in their midst so that it may be "cast out, into the streets, into the hail of stones cast by the righteous, that their blood may flow like water, and their filth be washed away to the pit of flames from whence it came!" -A Southern Baptist Minister.

Still remember that sermon, so eloquent. :barf:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

But where am I going to find 200 bottoms?

Hanging from trees most likely. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It's sad that I immediately wanted to check the freep thread, isn't it? :negative:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I am, I'm sure I'm a walking contradiction to certain conservatives.

They would probably babble something about enemies from within.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Is this the judge version of "gently caress off."? :newlol:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is there somewhere I can read a write-up of the significance of the Scalia thing? I get the gist of it but I'd really like for read an in-depth article

Basically Scalia wrote up a dissent that was supposed to be really sarcastic, but then every court in the land started citing Scalia's sarcastic arguments with a completely straight face, so the whole thing backfired on him spectacularly. Really, every gay rights group should be sending him invitations to the party when they celebrate these anti-gay marriage amendments being struck down, because it really is all thanks to him. :lol:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Why should I care about what someone who rates marriage as more important than Maslow Hierchary physiological/safety level poo poo thinks? I'm not even talking about people outside the LGBT community, I'm talking about people within it. If we can't keep our own side of the street clean, what's the point?

Hey hey, look up, see that? "Marriage Equality from sea to shining sea."? Know what that is? It's a thread title and generally refers to the subject the thread is about. Thus, this thread is specifically about "Marriage Equality from sea to shining sea.", if you want to have a conversation about what those pushing for gay marriage should do after that has been achieved then feel free to make a thread, until then this is an idiot derail and pretty much everyone else would really appreciate it if you would shut the gently caress up! :thumbsup:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I think it's best to just be happy that the anti-gay trees will have to keep their awful opinions to themselves and will die miserable and defeated. To be happy that the portion of Mormons who disagreed with their churches stance, openly or in secret will be able to love and support gays with much less fear of retribution. Being spiteful might feel good and might be justified and natural but I think it hurts us somewhere deep down within ourselves and makes us worse people, the best way to prove the bigots wrong is to be better, kinder and more accepting then they could ever be. Don't let bitterness, however justified, make you spiteful, it hurts you more than them in the end.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still don't know why it took that long.

Because Obama wants the legislative branch to do it because it's their job. Now I think he's being rather naive and this is not the sort of issue to to hesitate on, but I can understand not wanting to step on toes. It also gives him the ability to say "You guys had plenty of time to do this on your own, I'm not the one being unfair here."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I like the little "Say NO to Taxes." in the corner.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone needs to put that on a giant banner and hold it outside of SCOTUS whenever the big gay marriage case gets to the Court.

I'm thinking just a big rainbow colored banner with something like "THANK YOU JUSTICE SCALIA, J., DISSENTING FOR YOUR GREAT HELP IN ATTAINING CIVIL RIGHTS FOR ALL!" on it in big hot pink lettering.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

When the policy came out that not only gave married gay soldiers access to all benefits, but even allowed non-chargeable leave (basically a free vacation) to travel to a state that allows gay marriage to get married, I knew that there was a huge sea change and that there was no going back. It was a very powerful thing to do in terms of LGBT rights, to just annihilate such a hurtful policy almost overnight. What a beautiful thing, that something like that can just be stopped all at once.

I really liked that the military got the various gay rights related changes moved from inception to full implementation so quickly. When those things first happened I was expecting it to take over a year at least for it all to filter through the layers of bureaucracy, but they implemented those policies about as fast as it was possible for them to do so and I feel like that shows a lot of solidarity from an organization that you would normally expect to be unfriendly to the idea of gay rights.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Game over all

We are going to lose big time and I know this because of this event occuring

A 40 DAY FAST

Here is the intro video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHybmo7ALLA

Hooly poo poo.

Come on, someone had to say it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

What is the gravity of using so many click bait questions on a decision like that? The judge was just listing things like a bad tabloid "is it the same as literal rape?" and not following up on any of those.

Is this a common thing in these decisions? It seems... cheap?

If you follow up on any of them they fall apart, ergo one does not follow them up. :v:

Anyway, Bravo Judge Feldman! With this the SCOTUS will have no choice but to make a decision one way or the other. One can only hope that we will get to watch Scalia suffer an aneurysm on the bench. :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taste the tears

Utah Governor held a press conference where he addressed the gay marriage decision

Spoiler Alert: He is not happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X30E1iPOs48

Eh, he didn't sound happy or unhappy one way or the other really. There was the usual bit about believing that states have the right to define marriage as they see fit but other than that it seemed fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm an ignoramus. Can you guys tell me what about Scalia's dissent helped strike down gay marriage bans?

Scalia's dissent included a bunch of very good arguments about why gay marriage bans could only be motivated by animus, the lower courts then proceeded to cite Scalia's dissent to justify their striking down of the bans. They would have probably been struck down anyway but using Scalia's dissent was wonderfully ironic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

bewilderment posted:

A good-faith explanation of the position is that they literally believe that the nuclear family is the building block of society - essentially that American society is built up, or should ideally be built up, of groups of a man, a woman, and 2.5 children.
This doesn't hold up under close scrutiny but it is a nice, if naive, belief.

So the theory goes that anything that redefines what a family is, or what a marriage is, will cause society to crumble.

Alternatively: Any deviation from the formula of White + Straight + Male + Christian(Southern Baptist) is seen as a moral failing to be condemned and ideally, to be expunged from society.

platedlizard posted:

People get so worked up and weird about bathrooms. Issues from toilet training maybe?

It has to do with being in any position that could be seen as vulnerable. These types are incredibly insecure and are terrified that, given the slightest moment of vulnerability, the "Bad Guys" will come to get them and defile their pure pure White, Straight, Christian, Manliness. Basically they are filthy cowards.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 17, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

wid posted:

The best part is that that doesn't even address the fact that gay men are already using the men's toilet, regardless whether they can marry or not. If anything, proponents of equal marriage should use turn this on its head and claim letting gays marry should reduce the number of gay men that may seduce you in the toilet since they're in a committed monogamous relationship instead of just dating another gay man. I wonder if these moral warriors will use the defense of "marriage doesn't stop someone from extramarital sex".

To them gay marriage is not a committed monogamous relationship. The only reason gays want to marry is to further the nefarious Gay Agenda. The Gay Agenda is to defile and destroy the only force that holds the glorious ideal of civilization together: White Christian Maleness. To them gays are no better than cannibals and murderers, barbarians at the gates. They cast themselves as the noble crusader against the forces of evil. They need to do this to feed their overweening ego: their only blockade against the tide of fear and insecurity that is their inherent cowardice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

The Gays will use the extra money they save from filing jointly on taxes to fund bigger and bigger assless-chaps parades, thereby converting more and more impressionable youngsters and dooming God's Chosen Country to hellfire and brimstone.

On the one hand this is hilarious.

On the other I have argued with people who have made the above argument unironically, this makes the whole thing both more and less funny at the same time.

:negative:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

staticman posted:

So uhh, gently caress Rick Snyder (and by extension Michigan)forver, y/n?

Social Conservatives are the definition of evil. Social conservatism is a plague that is destroying this planet, and needs to be weeded out. I am loving furious.

Wow, what shitlords. I mean, I expect them to be huge assholes, but that is going above and beyond.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

kordavox posted:

I don't understand why government stays in the marriage business. A few states are desperately defending an Abrahamic/Christian view of marriage when they would be better off not recognizing marriages at all. Revoke all marriage licenses and get out the business altogether and that should make everyone happy. Why is marriage so important for governments to recognize and license it? When it comes to dividing property that can be established by cohabitation, shared accounts, etc.

How about you read the loving thread? This one has been argued over and over, you can read those arguments if you put a modicum of effort in.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

If you want to ignore intent then you have to prosecute any death caused by one person against another as murder, and yeah that includes self defense because the only thing that makes self defense what it is is intent. For example: Someone attacks you with a knife and you try to block their arm, the knife turns in their hand and goes into their body, cutting an artery. They bleed out before the paramedics and police you called can get there. Should you be charged with murder or not and why should or shouldn't you be charged?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

As a pro-same-sex-marriage Christian myself, I'm content with the view that Jesus never said a word about homosexuality, and I figure that if it was important, he would have said so. Peter and Paul had moments of being shitheads in general. :v:

And if Jesus had said something nasty about homosexuals?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

What if Hitler was gay and black?

I'm asking what has priority for you, your own sense of morality or the words of your god?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Yes. It's equally likely that if the Bible were different I'd believe differently or believe the same thing and come up with a different justification/rationalization. I don't see the point in debating this line of thought, as it's straight into gay black history alternate history nonsense which can be fun to consider but has nothing to contribute to this thread.

My bringing it up was me explaining how I justify being an active Christian who supports same-sex marriage to people who don't share that view or see those two stances as contradictory. I attend a Christian church that performs same-sex weddings (religious ceremonies only, as Florida currently doesn't allow legal same-sex marriage) and hope that the Supreme Court will legalize gay marriage nation-wide sooner rather than later.

This line of questioning really strays outside of the topic of the thread so I'll drop it, sorry.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Texas doesn't become any better because we prevent them from imposing their bigoted impulses :v:

I'm pretty sure it becomes better for those who would otherwise suffer more greatly because of those bigoted impulses being enforced through law.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Here in Australia there are actually things legally required to be said as part of the ceremony. One of these is a line added by the Howard government a few years ago that means any celebrant carrying out a wedding has to say the following.

If whoever is performing the ceremony doesn't say that, it isn't a legal ceremony.

gently caress Australia.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Obviously it's going to be good when groups like this no longer exist but I sure hope whatever hateful shitheads sprout up to replace them provide as much comedy as they have.

So they think gays are going to literally invade their homes and have gay sex in the next room over from their kids? Man, fundies must watch some really hosed up porn. :raise:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I am excited for the defeat of Biblical truth in America. Hail Satan! :devil:

Indeed! Death to so called "Christian" civilization.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I know it is Lively and he is an evil piece of poo poo but gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress YOU! For those unaware "silence equals death" was the rally call against the AIDS crisis where Reagan and the rest of his government were doing nothing, basically ignoring the fact that thousands of gay people were literally dying for unknown reasons.

Seriously, gently caress you you evil piece of poo poo.

Oh wow, that really adds another level of slime to the whole thing. :cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm glad folks are eagerly leaping to the defense of hypocritical poo poo heels.

Ehhh, what matters is whether exposing said hypocritical poo poo heels is advantageous, neutral or detrimental to your cause. There are arguments for all of those positions and I think y'all will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

Gee, it'd be really nice if there was this much handwringing over people who are actually being actively hurt by the lovely laws these fuckheads push through every term.

There isn't much discussion of that because everyone here agrees that those lovely laws are lovely and that they harm people who have done nothing to deserve said harm. Opinions diverge on whether said lovely people should have certain tactics used against them and it's divergent opinion that creates discussion, not consensus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Alabama Baptists Convention has given a resolution on the gays

The "moral awakening in America" is happening right now and it's legalizing gay marriage across the nation. :)

• Locked thread