Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kem Rixen posted:

New Hampshire (and New England) Republicans are quite a bit different from ones in the rest of the country. I've always felt they're more ideologically driven than religiously so. So, they would see that taking away something they had already given was a terrible idea. As well, New Hampshire with it's libertarian streak is the perfect place for SSM.

There was also, until fairly recently, enclaves of holdout Rockefeller Republicanism in New England generally and Vermont in particular, which tends to be more inclined towards not joining the larger GOP in these stupid culture war crusades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Economy Clown Car posted:

"The reason my husband wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to uh, reproduce."

Holy poo poo that is all but a direct fourteen words line right there.

And what possible connotations could the word Caucasians have in that context that isn't related to race?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Talking about the land between the Black Sea and the Caspian sea.

You'd use the word "Caucuses" in that instance, I think.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

with one L posted:

Do these people really believe that by banning same sex marriage that gay men and women will automatically turn straight and start having kids? Is this really the thought process or am I missing something?

Many do still subscribe to the idea that homosexuality is a (nasty, icky, bad) choice, and so likely think that by closing off that avenue they're encouraging people onto the proper, Christian path.

This of course presumes that any real thought has actually gone into it, and it's not just mindless knee-jerk reaction.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ungulateman posted:

:eng101: Reagan was more left-wing than any politician in America today or in the 90s. So that's actually supporting Steak's idea.

Of course, America was more left-wing than now at pretty much any date after WW1, so...

Oh yes, the years following World War I were truly a heyday for the American left.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

Hmmm. Concentrating people... in places you might call camps. In order to wipe them out. A novel idea.

And, according to him: since gay people don't reproduce, it'll solve the homosexual problem, finally.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 24, 2012

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just as Christ would have wanted. Right? :shepicide:

The Christian right is at best only passingly familiar with what Christ actually wanted, nor much of what he commanded his followers to do. Why, it's almost as if they take from the corpus of Christian thought and scripture only those parts that fit their preexisting wants and desires, to verify their piety and justify their hate and greed!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Remember, Scott Lively - the dude that did a number of anti-gay speeches throughout Uganda a few years back totally coincidentally right before they introduced their "kill the gays" bill - actually wrote a book claiming that gays ran the Holocaust. We're not just talking Ernst Rohm here, he actually believes that most SS officers were gay and Hitler recruited them specifically because of their violent gay urges. And the American Family Association, which reaches a startling amount of middle America and influences politicians up and including GOP presidential candidates, quotes his stuff at every opportunity.

I know way too much about awful people. :smith:

Homosexuality in the Third Reich is actually a sorta weird subject, both because of Roehm and other gay men in the SA and also how the SS dealt with internal instances of homosexuality. In short: while Hitler wasn't a fan and ranted about the degeneracy of gays in society, it really wasn't a high priority for him and could be mitigated against by simultaneously having virtues he liked; this is one of the reasons he looked the other way for Roehm and others in the SA, incidentally. The real driving force of persecution of homosexual men (and it was mostly men, lesbians are a whole different question) was Himmler, who I will employ startling understatement in describing as a prude.

One good read on the subject is Geoffrey Giles's Why Bother About Homosexuals?, which I usually assign my undergrads whenever I teach a Holocaust history course.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Of course, this ends up under the headline 'man jailed for expressing his christian beliefs'... It angers me to no end how they re-frame their hate.

Time was, being persecuted for being Christian meant genuine state oppression from enslavement on up to being torn apart by wild animals or in some other way being spectacularly murdered. These days, apparently it is means very occasionally not being able to force everyone else to follow your own social narrative, the poor dears.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

NinjaPete posted:

I think I am out of my depth. I was debating marriage equality on facebook with a moron and he said his perfect system would be to "just remove the word marriage from the government lexicon all together, replace it with domestic partnership for everyone and leave the marrying to the individuals, their churches, and their deity"

My first reaction was to agree with him but he hasn't said anything remotely reasonable up to this point.

Is this a trap?

It's just a whitewashed version of separate-but-equal, honestly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rickycat posted:

All of this actually made me sick to my stomach. What is going through their minds? "Ah yes a gay youth tragically committed suicide due to horrible bullying by his peers. Let's see if we can spin this our way!"

gently caress NOM.

Their major, oft-stated position on gay suicide holds not that it's a tragedy and we should all do what we can to end the horrific bullying gay youth (in particular) go through, but rather that homosexuality itself is so fundamentally unhealthy that it drives kids to kill themselves and therefore being gay should be discouraged. "a gay youth tragically committed suicide due to horrible bullying by his peers" is not what they're even thinking in the first place, because in their eyes the bullying is, at best, a secondary (if that) contributing factor in his death. Their loathsome conclusions come from holding loathsome premises, not (necessarily in this case) revoltingly cynical opportunism.

Maggie Gallagher, NOM president posted:

LGBT teens are roughly four times as likely as other students to have attempted suicide in the last year.

They are also about twice as likely to report being in a physical fight at school, three times more likely to say they were injured by a weapon, and almost four times as likely as pther teens to say they missed school because they felt physically unsafe.

These kinds of negative outcomes are consistent with the idea that anti-gay bullying is mainly responsible for the higher suicide rate among gay teens. But as I kept reading, I kept finding the pieces of the puzzle that don't seem to fit the "it's homophobia pulling the trigger" narrative:

Gay students are also more than twice as likely to report having had sexual intercourse before age 13 -- that is, to be sexually abused as children. They are three times as likely to report being the victims of dating violence, and nearly four times as likely to report forced sexual contact. A majority of LGBT teens in Massachusetts reported using illegal drugs in the past month. (Perhaps most oddly, gay teens are also three times as likely as nongay teens to report either becoming pregnant or getting someone else pregnant.)

Forced sex, childhood sexual abuse, dating violence, early unwed pregnancy, substance abuse -- could these be a more important factor in the increased suicide risk of LGBT teens than anything people like me ever said?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I just want to know who's willing to pay over a million dollars to (unsuccessfully) keep them gays from marrying :psyduck:

Chik Fil'a, if I remember right (their not-really reversal on that notwithstanding), and the Mormons. Not that that's an exclusive list.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hepscat posted:

I think a lot of times the religious arguments fall back on saying "the Bible doesn't say anything about gay marriage" but marriage was a specific social contract based upon having children.

It was more about property management than children, to be entirely honest.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Skeesix posted:

I think it's amusing that the video stuck the (D) on him a la fox news.

You may already know this, but it's hardly the first time FOX has pulled that particularly odious little trick. See also when Mark Sanford, Mark Foley, and Larry Craig all got in trouble and FOX "accidentally" slapped a big ol' (D) next to their names.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

I was about to post this. Truly anti-marriage-equality is this decade's Iraq War of conservatism: a Good Analogy

You know as well as I there's probably very little light between the "anti-marriage-equality" and "Iraq War was a good idea" demographics.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Xombie posted:

What do these people think federal judges are supposed to do?

Sentence minorities to hard time/death.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I was thinking an incredibly lazy Time Lord, myself.

You would.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

A civil union is equal to a civil marriage, but still a separate institution.

Something about that arrangement just makes conservatives feel better about things.

Hey, last time around it bought them almost sixty years of shoving back the tide (going by the really simplistic yardstick of Plessy v. Ferguson to Brown v. Board). Not that surprising they'd try it again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Oh yeah, and he was only 5'5". Other points still stand; who was the tall and handsome one, then? I know one was.

Himmler's go-to man, Reinhard Heydrich, was by all accounts one good-lookin' sociopathic monster.

edit: drat you, Gen. Ripper!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lycus posted:

Heydrich was tall but I don't know if I'd call him handsome. He kinda reminds me of the banjo kid from Deliverance.

According to many sources who knew him, the man was a real lady-killer and not just in the usual Nazi way.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ha ha ha, oh no no no. Of course not, that would be silly.

I think they just *shoot* you.

I don't think I much care for the liberties they're taking with this new version of Logan's Run.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Install Windows posted:

Uh, what? It's a generation, not a lifestyle or something. That's like bitching that a car from 4 years ago is "preassigned" to being a car from the early 2010s.

Generation X begs to differ *wears flannel and ripped jeans, listens to Soundgarden while acting sullen and disaffected*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kfroog posted:

The Baby Boomers were named "Generation X" when most of Generation X had yet to be born. Also I thought the standard limits of "Millennials" was 1975-1995? If I'm not a Millennial, Am I just not in a named cohort? 'Cause no way is someone born in the early '80s an X.

I usually hear the last year of X being either 80 or 81, never any later than that. It used to be that those born in the early-mid 80s were called Gen Y, but that seems to have fallen out of common use and/or been absorbed into the Millenials.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

computer parts posted:

I mean I don't really know anything about it other than it's rural as gently caress and full of white people. Even if they do support progressive legislation I'd rather stick with the devil (angel?) I know, in Oregon.

Depends largely on what sort of work he's going to be seeking, and how much winter he's willing to put up with. Oh, and as nice as single payer will be once it finally gets up and running I should point out VT is suffering from a remarkable shortage of mental health workers at pretty much ever level, so if you work in that sector you can basically write your own ticket, but if you need help you're in for considerable wait times. This is of course made worse by all the cheap heroin I'm told is flooding in from downcountry, supposedly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

farraday posted:

For those unaware, the phrase "ash heap of history" to describe communism is copied from a famous speech by Reagan, although he was himself borrowing the concept of the phrase from Trotsky(? I think)'s dustbin of history, describing his political opponents.

Yeah, it was Trotsky. He shouted something to the tune of "go where you belong: into the dustbin of history!" at the Kadets (and possibly the SRs, I don't remember) when they walked out of the provisional assembly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

AYC posted:

TBH, I wouldn't mind having civil unions or domestic partnerships open to both straight and gay couples as an alternative to marriage. You get a lot of the same benefits but they're easier to get rid of IIRC.

Just an idea.

So two separate institutions which are theoretically equal to one another? Man, why haven't we tried something like that before?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

AYC posted:

From a group opposing gay marriage. :shepicide:

It makes sense if you live in a feverish dream world in which you imagine straight Christians are an oppressed minority, bravely practicing their faith in the face of vicious secular/gay persecution. Won't somebody think of the poor oppressed straight Christian Americans? :qq:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's pretty amazing even for those nutjobs.

Though it has since been retired, the past long-running subtitle of that thread proves itself eternally relevant. There is always more, and it is always worse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Tomorrow there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms in DC.

I say this because tomorrow is the annual Coachella of hate speech called "March For Marriage"

The day begins at 11 A.M and the party goes all night with a "Gala".

I lived in DC for a couple of years in the early-mid 2000s, and have been back during summer storm season, including the massive one that near-wrecked the town in June 2012. If it storms like it can down there tomorrow, I can only anticipate with glee those fuckers being caught out in it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kalman posted:

Sadly, the prediction is only for isolated storms, not the kind of rain we're capable of.

Aw phooey.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

How NOM pays Brian Brown 500k and all he's done is lead the org to consecutive disastrous losses is a mystery

Aren't they pretty cash-strapped these days from a combination of doing that and also hemorrhaging money from every attempt to shovel back the tide? I could have sworn I'd seen that attested to somewhere recently.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Does that mean Scott Lively has to stay there? :ohdear:

If only.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Skeesix posted:

Can someone fill me in on "The Frederick Douglass Foundation?"

It's a right-wing organization which trades on the name and Republican (in the context of mid-19th century America) nature of its namesake for what appears to be the usual cavalcade of horrible causes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

Yes. I've said it before and I will say it again. Being gay is awesome, and being straight obviously sucks poo poo or you wouldn't need to make people do it.

Sorry breeders, once your son realizes he can have two hot boys before brunch and then drink martinis the rest of the afternoon, he's going to compare that to changing diapers and come over to our side.

I can't help being born straight, dude, quit hatin'.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Man where are these sex ed classes? Because you can't even mention gay sex in schools here or ya get fired.

Seriously, from what I remember of Sex Ed back in the early 90s it was all about AIDs awareness and proper birth control. Apparently we really missed out.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Same here. They paid lip service to condoms, but there were no demonstrations on how to use them and they were very clear that condoms could break and then you would get all those nasty diseases they showed you. There was never even the mention that you can only catch an STI from someone who already has one, which would have been a great way to lead into "don't go without protection just because they say they're clean" and "get tested" - a lot of my classmates finished middle school health class fully believing that sex could, like, create chlamydia. Did your teacher tell you about Gay Bowel, too?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm from Virginia and they pretty much did the same thing for us when I took sex ed in the early 90s, basically told us condoms were completely unreliable and that the AIDS virus was smaller than the holes in a condom so even if you wore one you'd still get AIDS, so you'd better not have sex before you get married. I don't think gays were mentioned at all though.

Not for the first time, but holy poo poo am I glad I grew up in godless secular New England during the early 90s. I mean I think they did pay lip service to waiting being preferable, but they at least did tell us how to use birth control and didn't lie about where STDs came from or anything. Goddamn.

VitalSigns posted:

Ew keep it in the bedroom.

You know us straights, always not forcing our heterosexuality down your throats.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

That's right gays, Texas legalized sodomy for you. You're welcome :clint:

Somewhere outside of Galveston, a certain retired goldbug Congressman stands up and punches a hole in his hat in fury.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Game over all

We are going to lose big time and I know this because of this event occuring

A 40 DAY FAST

Here is the intro video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHybmo7ALLA

I wonder just how they define fasting in this instance, as total refusal to eat for forty days is pretty significant and, frankly, much more trying than I'd normally credit these sorts with being capable of. Admittedly I skipped around that video a bit since it was painfully sanctimonious so I may have missed them going into specifics, but in the absence of any other info I'd bet they mean some sort of symbolic or lessened fast that effectively amounts to "hate on them gays even more than usual and maybe have one fewer spare rib with dinner."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

RZApublican posted:

Does anyone have a link to that thread where the guy posted the lengthy Golden Corral stories? I can't seem to remember what it was called.

They come up early in the current PYF Quotes thread, starting here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

paragon1 posted:

The two interlocking rings part looks like a ballsack.

Ballz posted:

And that black backdrop behind the rings immediately reminded me of a puckered anus.

You both see what you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rickycat posted:

So the 40 day 'fast' to sway the supreme court to vote against marriage equality that was previously posted is less of a fast and more of a fast with the benefit of being able to eat.

I'm gonna go eat some pizza for The Lord and against The Gays.

Friggin' called it.

• Locked thread