Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Glitterbomber posted:

We don't accept CUs because it's separate but equal, and really in the year 2012 that should be enough of a reason. If I must go on, though, the major issue is if we do settle for CUs and wait the five years you suggest, then we give the right ammo to go 'well for five years it's worked just fine like this why would you want to change it?!'
Interesting thing is that France created a civil unions law in 1999 for gay couples but failed to define it as specific to gay people. More than a decade later, the pact civil de solidarité (or "pacs") is now a mostly straight institution, while the number of marriages overall has continued to decline, even while the number of people seeking state-sponsored partnerships has increased:

Thinking goes that a lot of people want the state to recognize their partnership for all sorts of reasons, but want a lighter alternative to marriage. The shift might have also resulted in the further decay of marriage as people stopped participating, while anti-gay conservatives can point to it and say: 'see this is exactly what happens when we don't defend the institution of marriage.'

Expanding the institution of marriage to include gay people gets around this problem. And that's because supporting gay marriage, far from being a threat to marriage, is actually a socially conservative pro-marriage position. Gay marriage seeks to preserve the institution of marriage by reforming it with the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Glitterbomber posted:

In total fairness it's more along the lines of saying 'well I want you to have a cookie too, but let's just bake a whole fresh batch together sometime, look see it's no biggie' and then chucking it.
I see this from libertarians a lot, the 'get the government out of marriage completely' argument when NO ONE is calling for that. There is no mass movement to get it done. And it's only brought up by straight people (who are often married) when the subject of gay marriage comes up.

Though not to belabor the point, gay marriage is often framed from an argument to equality: marriage denied to gay people turns gay people into second class citizens. This is true, but I've found that when arguing with conservatives it's not very convincing to them, because they don't think gay people are actually equal. But they do believe in traditional institutions.

I like to say: well, I don't know if you thought about it this way, but gay people getting married is kind of a conservative thing to do, isn't it? Here's an entire class of people who have no incentive to adopt a conservative world-view, who are denied state incentive to settle down, etc. The gay rights movement used to say "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." Implicit was that gay people were radical, and not like straight people and you should learn to deal with that. But now the gay movement is saying it wants the government to allow gay people to behave, well, a lot like straight people. 'Gee, I guess you're right, I never thought about it that way.'

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Apparently there's been a coup at NOM:

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/nom-site-suddenly-down-after-suspected-hacking.html

Or a hacking. But it looks like it's coming from within the organization.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 11, 2012

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

gtrmp posted:

I didn't try to refute your point because it was both correct and meaningless. The only two presidents who weren't overtly antagonistic to LGBT folks were Obama and Clinton, and Clinton was president at a time when even a majority of Democrats were opposed to same-sex marriage. So yes, out of a sample size of two presidents who a) had opinions on gay rights that b) weren't overtly homophobic, Obama was the one of those two who happened to the president at a time when the majority of Americans were in favor of gay rights. Good for him! I bet it took a lot of courage to finally stand up with the majority of Americans, and a supermajority of his own party, in favor of civil rights.
"Courage" doesn't have really anything to do with it, though. Politics isn't about that, but the distribution and application of power. Fact is the Democratic Party as a whole has been tied to an unwieldy and increasingly frayed coalition of interests dating back to the New Deal: made up of city machines, labor, minorities, farmers, white Southerners and blue collar white workers.

Regarding those last two: the Southerners jettisoned the party for good by 2000, and the working class whites abandoned the party in the decade since. Filling their place are college-educated urban professionals, youth and women, who -- unlike the former -- support gay marriage. And the party is shifting to reflect those interests, that's all.

I suppose you can be angry Obama didn't endorse gay marriage sooner, but I think you're misunderstanding how this poo poo works. The president doesn't lead public opinion either, he follows and responds, and he reflects the nature of his political coalition. And he won't do anything on his own -- those interests have to apply pressure to *make* him to do what they want.

Glitterbomber posted:

Using the military on your own people is actually a super big deal.
I don't really get this. I mean, yeah, it's a problem. But no one is disputing this. And what does this have to do with gay marriage?

Edit: Though, it actually reveals an interesting point about political power, and it shows just how useless and privileged the peace movement is. Unlike the peace movement, the gay rights movement never demobilized. They continued to build and exercise power to pressure the administration into doing stuff. The gay rights movement more or less (correctly) recognized that democracy is not just about voting -- it's about organizing for progressive change. The peace movement thought that the wars would end once Obama got elected. As a result, they largely gave up whatever leverage they had.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 10, 2012

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Yes, I'm pretty familiar with those arguments, and they can probably best be described as radical queer or queer liberationist. There's some truth in it, mainly the claim that marriage (if not necessarily religious) is traditional and conservative. I think it is, and I think the shift to gay marriage as the primary political cause for gay activists following the AIDS crisis of the 1980s reflects a rightward shift within the gay rights movement. (Borne out of the crisis too.)

The problem is that radical queer ideology offers no solutions and has no basis for engaging with politics in any way. It's essentially empty, totally zero sum analysis. What it says is that any attempt at freeing a group from oppression only divides the oppressed against each other by privileging certain groups over others. So they say that gay marriage will privilege wealthy white gay men over trans people of color, because it means that gay men will have bought into an oppressive system. So what you get is political paralysis. No one should be freed because freedom privileges the people who are freed over those who are not.

The other problem is that it's contradictory. It rails against white gay men "who want to assimilate," (how dare they try to live normal lives!) while suggesting that true liberation is being different from straight people and enforcing that difference. Instead gay men should actively reject the majority, and should not seek acceptance from them. In fact, you shouldn't want to be accepted -- you should want the majority to actively dislike you, fear you and be discomforted by you, because that's what makes you queer. Though, I don't think anyone should seek acceptance either, because acceptance should be owed to you, not sought by you. But they're in a weird paradox where being hated means they have been liberated. It's also no wonder it's becoming more marginal, since there's not as many anti-gay haters around as there used to be.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Glitterbomber posted:

This really makes zero sense though. Like I have no idea who you're talking to but in Texas of all places AIDS activism is still a huge thing, you can't quantify 'activism' and say 'well this is getting more focus so it means...'. Marriage is a major talking point because there are a poo poo ton of states trying to take it away from us. I haven't been involved in any organization for gay rights that didn't have a huge HIV/AIDS awareness/activism wing.
No, I really disagree. There was a major ideological component to gay marriage before it became a mainstream position within the gay community, in that there was virtually no discussion of gay marriage until the 1990s, and the only people who were really advocating for it before then were gay social conservatives who thought marriage was a way to end what they saw as the preconditions for the HIV pandemic: cultural isolation in gay ghettos, disconnected and emotionless sex with strangers, rejection of mainstream values, etc. In the broader history of the gay rights movement, marriage was traditionally a position of the gay right -- not the gay left.

Second, I think the idea that gay marriage activism as a response to "states trying to take [marriage] away from us" puts things in the wrong order. Before anti-gay amendments to state constitutions, gay marriage was already illegal or unrecognized. It was the push for marriage beginning in the 90s that provoked a reaction by anti-gay forces to formally ban it in constitutions as a stop-gap.

• Locked thread