Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Oraculum Animi posted:

Because you're proposing a more complicated alternative to simply allowing gays to marry while passively giving out the fact you are married, the very thing that homosexuals are fighting the rights for.

It's like a poor kid wanting a cookie and you throwing yours in the trash because you have so many you can do without this one.

It probably would be good for people to vocally advocate for such a thing so as to make gay marriage a more appealing conservative alternative, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're voting for a third party. Which -- unless you have a lot of other people doing it -- will amount to voting for nothing.

Voting for the losing party also amounts to voting for nothing though, so you're really only giving up a 50-50 chance of influencing the election (unless it really is decided by one vote).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Am I just deluded, or can't DOMA be attacked even on rather simple Full Faith and Credit grounds rather than having to make any sort of complex 14th amendment argument?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

If SCOTUS said bans on same-sex marriage were constitutional, it would be written as "Roberts' Court" being on the wrong side of history. I would guess that Roberts doesn't want to be "that guy." And we've seen him go against the party line before with PPACA.

Kennedy has typically been pro-gay rights in the past, so I wouldn't really worry about it.

The Roberts Court is going to be on the wrong side of history anyway when they overturn Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, so no point in holding back.

That said, DOMA is really stupid and the court may very well strike it down somewhat narrowly on something like Full Faith and Credit grounds, allowing Congress to try to write another law tailored to the ruling (which they probably won't anyway). Politically that might even be a better outcome for gay rights than ~*jUdIcIaL aCtIvIsM*~

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

If you can find a fifth vote in favor of DOMA at the Supreme Court level, you could make a lot of money advising the Republican legal elites, because they already know they're screwed on that one.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if DOMA were struck down (at least partially) in a 7-2 decision since it's on fairly shaky legal ground even without a need for citing Equal Protection.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

All Of The Dicks posted:

Well, to be fair, having and bringing to term accidental babies is pretty much the definition of irresponsible. It is basically failing to take any of the steps for preparing to have or not have a baby. You can't really argue that a high schooler getting pregnant or something like that IS a responsible thing to do.

A lot of (perhaps even most) babies that responsible parents have are accidental :ssh:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

staticman posted:

:stare:

"HomoSexual Fascism--Destroying the West" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhtk2YhGA-Y

And I thought gay fascism was just an LF thing...

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Agoholic posted:

Well this sure is...something, whatever the hell it is. :stare:

This thought process might seem small-minded to us on the outside looking in, but from their perspective it's bigger.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

God drat France, how is your right-wing acting crazier than the Tea Party here?

France has maintained a more rebellious spirit than America. It's no surprise that this includes the right as well as the left.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I'm not really sure this counts as good news, getting a penalty of marriage at the Federal level without a benefit.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

ErIog posted:

I'm not too up on my scouting history, but isn't all this gay panic poo poo with the BSA a modern invention that happened after the organization was hijacked by religious extremists? All these OnMyHonor assholes like to pretend they're upholding the timeless values of scouting when it's very very clear they aren't at all. It'd be nice if they started "protected the dignity of scouting," by not being bigoted fuckwads.

I think there's a lot of good in scouting, and it is true the BSA hasn't always been this nuts, but it's probably better to look to the future of what scouting should be, since it basically started as Imperialism for Kids.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

twodot posted:

"absolutely nothing to do" is pretty plainly wrong. Most (all?) sane arguments for supporting same sex marriage lead more or less directly to suggesting that marriage should be allowed between any configuration of consenting adults. There may also be reasons to disallow certain types of marriages, "it's hard" seems to be common one for more than two person marriages, but demanding equal rights for gay couples (which is a thing we should do) is an activity that should also cause you to consider the rights of other sorts of relationships.

Arguing for gay marriage is actually conservative at this point, so it really is pretty different from arguing for any other kind of marriage expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea while I have issues with the book's tone (gay rosa parks? Really?) it's kinda whitewashing of another flavor to say there were NO chicken little types and the case went exactly as we expected.

If anything I'm worried this book with bring more responses like that, with his absurd 'yea I basically invented the gay marriage movement' poo poo, we need to be careful not to turn this into a whitewashing fight.

There's an added irony in that the Rosa Parks case itself was a whitewashing of the Claudette Colvin case so he's not even making the right invidious analogy.

• Locked thread