Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Polo-Rican posted:

I was going to update the map I made until I read that this wouldn't take effect until January of 2013? I guess it takes a state 11 months to "prepare" for gay marriage.

It really is just so that there isn't a lawsuit to stop it while a referendum happens, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Federal appeals court in Boston rules that DOMA is unconstitutional, to really not much surprise. Next step is the Supreme Court, pretty sure.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-naw-doma-053112,0,7656927.story

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

So, could that mean the end of DOMA if the Supreme Court upholds the ruling?

Sounds like likely it would mean that federal law (i.e. taxes and other rights guaranteed in federal statutes) would apply to any legal marriages in any state, but it would not immediately require that all states recognize all marriages.

Still, a good step if it's upheld.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I usually look to http://www.scotusblog.com/

I'd imagine if anything comes out they'll have it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

Oh poo poo. Here we go.

By which you mean, here we wait for a few months?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

greatn posted:

This probably explains why he wasn't VP nominee, or at least would have eliminated him from the running early in vetting.

I mean, Mitt Romney clearly stated that it was *not* due to this that he was not selected.

Not that Mitt Romney lies, ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I don't understand. Would this make the mormon church officially pro marriage equality? :psyduck:

Uhhh no, that's not the Mormon church. It's some heretic splinter I think.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sweeney Tom posted:

Today, we will see votes from the Nevada House (if passed gay marriage is on the ballot in 2016), the Delaware House (if passed it goes to the Senate, where Dems have a majority, and the Gov has promised to sign it into law), the Rhode Island Senate Judiciary Committee (if passed it goes to their full Senate this week, and the Gov has promised to sign it into law), and the French legislature (if passed France has legal marriage equality).

Today's going to be a big (potentially very good) day.

Looked like the Nevada one needs the exact same thing (senate and house) to happen next year, too, before it goes onto the 2016 ballot.

Exciting stuff overall, though!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

RI Senate floor debate/vote stream.
http://www.wpri.com/generic/news/same-sex-marriage-coverage

e: Raptakis is on board. So they have at least 19 of the 20 needed votes.
ee: Conley makes 20. ~1 hour until :toot:

Someone apparently pulled a fire alarm, though security shut it off quickly. Good plan, that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"Is my representative" usually means they live in the district, I'd say?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

This is the actual vote now, correct?

12 yes 9 no passed

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whole lotta cheering right now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Red_Mage posted:

Ummm... Not really? I mean the no leaders thing is still astoundingly stupid, but its hardly like they are creating seperate gay only troops or something. They are saying they won't kick someone out of the scouts (something they have done before) for being gay. For the closeted (by necessity) students in scouting, this is certainly a victory, if a small one.

Actually, it's pretty accurate! Troops are welcome to continue to discriminate, but they are voting (maybe) to allow troops to not discriminate.

In essence, they're creating gay-allowed troops but allowing no-gays-allowed troops to continue to exist, which honestly does sound quite like the analogy you quoted.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's hard for me to find exact wording, but articles that describe the actual proposal are suggesting that, yes, it's allowing troops to have gay members but is not mandating that all of them are required to allow gay members.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thesoro posted:

Do you have a source on this? I'd love to share it.

As I said, no, unfortunately, all I'm getting is out of articles that describe the change but I've yet to see one that spells out exactly what changed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seal it with a kiss posted:

They changed the proposed "Troops get to decide on whether to allow gays" policy, originally outlined here.

This is the change that will actually be implemented:

"No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone."

Troops will NOT be allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation. This is an organization wide change. That's why groups like "On My Honor" are threatening a schism.

Good! It's been hard to find the wording in most articles. Thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We should probably make sure people are checking the other thread, since the same question was just asked and answered the opposite way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

platedlizard posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice :psyduck:

I wonder if the extra day was on purpose so the dates would align?

No, not in any way shape or form. It was ready today, so it was released today.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

EBT posted:

I would wonder more if it was just to do with both cases being issues near or at the end of the term.

Well, yes, that's the reason why it's the anniversary. But it was not chosen to be such, it's just that both were such.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Michael Steel, you say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ballz posted:

It's not who you're thinking of.

Oh I'm aware. Was just a funny coincidence to me. (no e at the end of the name)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is that news, a prediction, or a logical deduction?

(seriously can't tell)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thanks! Hard to tell with no link/text.

It's a good result, but presumably fairly expected?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thrupple...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Apparently Catholic > Gay for her. :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"I'm a former lesbian" okay I'm out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

that any attempt at a long-term loving relationship is a deluded lie.

Actually, doesn't this happen quite a bit? At least, that's what popular culture would have me believe.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

computer parts posted:

Popular culture relies on drama which for obvious reasons tends not to come from people who are married happily for 20 years.

Yeah, what I meant was lovely breakup -> "I hate all <men/women> I'm going to never date again" is kind of a thing, regardless of sexuality.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's a good quote.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The punt on the prop 8 case was 100% the correct move. There are long standing rules regarding standing for suit and appeal. To hear that case would turn quite a bit of that on it's head. The supreme court acted correctly by saying "you fucks have no standing to file an appeal GTFO." Had it been the actual state filing the appeal, they would have heard the case and probably upheld the lower court's decision.

Wasn't it DOMA that people were talking about, not prop 8?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No no, banning people from being poor means giving the government the requirement to prevent it, thus allowing officials to just hand out stacks of cash. Yay!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Deuce posted:

Yeah but name changes aren't necessarily predicated on a marriage, are they? I can go into a court house and change mine for shits and giggles, I thought.

Nope. Costs you for that. Requires more forms, more stuff.

Changing your name back after getting divorced, by all accounts, is bullshit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

(it is commonly written as "I have a problem. I know, I'll use perl to solve it! Now I have two problems." and replace perl with anything at all, from python to python snakes to pythia the oracle.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

On the other hand, "I fired her because she investigated me" may be much, much less legal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

The real irony of the current progress is that the opponents of marriage equality will probably never hear about it again once the last state/US court case ends. Other than personally attending a same sex marriage (being invited to one seems unlikely) or paying very close attention to people's wedding rings all the time, there is nothing that should even indicate anything is different for them.

But they will sure be thinking about it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

So supposedly Obama finally signed the executive order prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace under federal contractors?

Yep! "ENDA would be preferred. Clearly Congress is not going to do that, so."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

From a bit back but I don't think any other Jewmo answered this.

That thing he's blowing is a Shofar, it's a sacred object in the Jewish faith that is mentioned in nearly every holy text we have. It historically was used often in our religious services and festivals. It's a fascinating instrument that can make many sounds, and considered a key part of Jewish culture, to the point that many Jewish groups fund 'Shofar studies' and such to teach people to play it, as each sound has a special meaning. It's basically the Jewish version of holy trumpeting (though we love us some trumpets too, and frequently combine them with Shofar blasts because poo poo yea everyone's gonna hear us). Nowadays there's more specific uses for it but it's still a common thing in most all the big days (it for example blows for the end of fasting and such) and of course for Rosh Hashanah.

Along with that, the ACT of blowing it is a great honor, something that when a community or temple or the like chooses one to be a blower it has to have approval of most of the community. It's straight up said that "The one who blows the shofar on Rosh Hashanah . . . should likewise be learned in the Torah and shall be God-fearing; the best man available." Using the Shofar even for secular use (there are Israeli/Jewish musicians who use it in their work) must be treated with respect, and it's generally considered that if you're putting your lips on it you better be a pretty decent guy even if it's for a band's gig, just out of basic respect for the instrument and its history. Also just on trivia since I brought up the wiki page to find that quote, the position normally called the 'Blaster' basically, but sometimes also refereed to as 'Master of the Blast' which is a pretty fuckin sweet title.

And this pigfuck is blasting away at a hate rally, one that most Jews don't even agree with to boot.

Yeah I'm not even observant but that picture irritated the *gently caress* out of me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Three Olives posted:

The 9th circuit just struck down the bans in Nevada and Idaho.

Yesss gay vegas weddings.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You have to make some lovely analogy, like the Panama Canal is the straight wife of the Atlantic that he only married to fit into society but it was a sham marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Three Olives posted:

So we may get a delicious preview of the SCOTUS case today, the 11th circuit just denied a stay on the Alabama gay marriage ban, if the SCOTUS denies a stay too...

Delicious feels like the right word here, given the posts immediately previous to yours.

• Locked thread