Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

~Coxy posted:

Neither of those have RAM, and the cheapest/only place I can find the DN2800MT is $150.

It's not really a competitor for the Raspberry Pi at all, but you could make the D525MW I linked into a complete $100 system (sans power supply, display, mouse, keyboard, and so on - but then, the Pi doesn't come with those either). $75 for the board, $12 for 2GB of RAM, and $10 for an 8GB flash drive even leaves you with a few bucks to go towards shipping or tax or whatever. Or, if you like, you can go with a Via-based offering that's even cheaper, or step up to honest-to-god "in a pinch, this could be your only system" power levels with an E-350 board that squeaks just under the $100 mark but doesn't include RAM or mass storage in that price. There's nothing crazy about a sub-$100 x86 single-board computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Newark sent out a mail saying that they're expecting to finally ship U.S. orders after they receive a shipment on June 18. Too bad this means it's going to arrive just after I leave the U.S. for a 2 month trip where I wanted to get a chance to play with it. :doh:

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Has there been any news regarding USB WiFi Dongles working on the RPi? This would go a long way toward making them much more useful as Media Centers.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Newark sent out a mail saying that they're expecting to finally ship U.S. orders after they receive a shipment on June 18. Too bad this means it's going to arrive just after I leave the U.S. for a 2 month trip where I wanted to get a chance to play with it. :doh:

Mine said May 29th. I'm just thinking it of the way I think of when I order from dealextreme, by the time it comes I'll have forgotten and its like a surprise.

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

Pseudo-God posted:

Has there been any news regarding USB WiFi Dongles working on the RPi? This would go a long way toward making them much more useful as Media Centers.

Here's a list of the various devices, and which drivers they use. If you click on a particular driver, it'll give you more details. Those are all open-source drivers, so they should work (though you may have to build them yourself if they aren't included in the default kernel). As far as firmware goes: I _think_ the same firmware should work on ARM as on x86, but I haven't tested for sure. I have an ath9k USB stick (one of the TP-link ones) that I intend to use with my Pi - it certainly works well as an AP under x86 linux.

Also, their wiki has a (not exhaustive) list of tested/working adapters. See here. They also have a howto for installing the drivers on debian.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Just got a dispatched email \o/

No idea when I'm going to have time to play with it now though, a lot has changed since ordering.

No idea on what I plan to do with it yet either :-S

I should have held off and let people who actually have a clue get theirs first.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

MeKeV posted:

Just got a dispatched email \o/

No idea when I'm going to have time to play with it now though, a lot has changed since ordering.

No idea on what I plan to do with it yet either :-S

I should have held off and let people who actually have a clue get theirs first.

You can always send it to me. :)

I didn't get to order one of the first batch. I wonder when they'll make more.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah, got notification this morning that my order has shipped. Wee.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Got the pi in today. Running the main debian image from the raspberrypi.org. This thing is super annoyingly slow, more than I thought it would be. I already overclocked it to 1Ghz. I hope there is still much room for improvement from software optimizations.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

peepsalot posted:

Got the pi in today. Running the main debian image from the raspberrypi.org. This thing is super annoyingly slow, more than I thought it would be. I already overclocked it to 1Ghz. I hope there is still much room for improvement from software optimizations.

What are you using it for? I wanted to get one as an HTPC, but if it's performing badly I may change my mind.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Shane-O-Mac posted:

What are you using it for? I wanted to get one as an HTPC, but if it's performing badly I may change my mind.

The plan was to use it to replace my old Xbox 1 running XBMC. Based on the current performance i have no idea how it will be able to do that, I'm hoping it's all in the software optimizations, I don't know if they are taking adavantage of any video acceleration yet or whatever other special instructions. There's no RaspBMC image yet to try out, so gotta wait a while.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What you've got in the Raspberry Pi is basically a smartphone from 2009 that's had a decent pre-recorded video decoder chip put in it. Imagine a slightly overclocked G1, but with h.264 1080p video support in hardware for playback.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

peepsalot posted:

The plan was to use it to replace my old Xbox 1 running XBMC. Based on the current performance i have no idea how it will be able to do that, I'm hoping it's all in the software optimizations, I don't know if they are taking adavantage of any video acceleration yet or whatever other special instructions. There's no RaspBMC image yet to try out, so gotta wait a while.
There are rpi daily builds of openelec that might be worth looking into.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The thread on the XBMC forums seems to indicate that 720p playback works fine in OpenElec right now. 1080p is stuttering every 5 seconds and fast forward/rewind doesn't work particularly well. Early days.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It could be worse. My Canadian one said Jul 9 yesterday. I leave the country on June 8. Permanently. I had to cancel.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 11, 2012

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Might be of some interest to UK based people.

I received an email about a week ago saying my order would be sent out the week being the 21st. Received another email earlier about problems with payment (my card expired recently) and to ring Farnell. Phoned up, gave new details and was told my Order would be dispatched as soon as card is charged.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Last weekend I got an email from RS saying my chance to order had come up!!
When I went to the website, the enter payment details page redirected me to the beginning page asking me for the verification code from my email.

I tried to enter it but it said it's already been used, and I can't order a RasPi now.
I used the contact form and haven't had a response.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Shane-O-Mac posted:

This was my plan too, but I really wanted a case and working software. Since that stuff isn't out yet I decided to cancel my order and buy later when supply is more abundant. Also $15 shipping was quite lame.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Crankit posted:

Last weekend I got an email from RS saying my chance to order had come up!!
When I went to the website, the enter payment details page redirected me to the beginning page asking me for the verification code from my email.

I tried to enter it but it said it's already been used, and I can't order a RasPi now.
I used the contact form and haven't had a response.

I got an email like that earlier today and ran into that same problem. I tried again an hour later and it was working. Looks like RS was having some issues with their site.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Why have I received no e-mails? oh well. Are there any people here in Australia which have actually ordered and received one? if so what hoops were there to be jumped through, and where does the hidden price rape from left field come in? I have trouble believing that we'd be allowed to get our hands on one without price gouging at some point upstream.

Most important question is do we now have access to the information on the binary blob drivers? one of the things I want the Pi for is bare metal programming with the addition of neat hardware ability.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

General_Failure posted:

Most important question is do we now have access to the information on the binary blob drivers? one of the things I want the Pi for is bare metal programming with the addition of neat hardware ability.

What is it you want to do? If you just want a framebuffer, GPIOs, TTL Serial etc, that stuff is available. If you want access to 3D acceleration or video decoding without Linux, that'll be much later and possibly never.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Earlier in the thread I posted that I was not so sure why anyone would want a raspberry pi. Well I think I finally thought of a project I would like to do with one. It would be what I am creatively calling a "server room helper" because I haven't seen something exactly like it. It would use a USB hub and a handful of USB-RS232 converters so it could act as a console server (which is nothing new) but it would also have temperature probe inputs (either USB or through an add-on card that connects to the GPIO). Of course you can get all of this separately but the cost can be pretty high. For example, a single ethernet enabled thermometer can set you back $200. I'm sure there are other features that could be cheaply added but that's all I can think of for now.

Unfortunately the pi still isn't "widely" available, so I might use a beaglebone instead. The beaglebone has four RS232 ports on the expansion connectors, so it would result in a less cluttered solution anyway.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 15, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

What is it you want to do? If you just want a framebuffer, GPIOs, TTL Serial etc, that stuff is available. If you want access to 3D acceleration or video decoding without Linux, that'll be much later and possibly never.

Lots of things. But one of them is to indulge myself with a bit of fantasy hardware. In the past I've always built my own uC boards and wrote the firmware for them to do various things. Some useful, some just for fun. The thing that has always bugged me is I was limited to a terminal for output. Even with tens of bytes of RAM I could do all sorts of things. The Pi is offering me a small footprint device with all the peripheral hardware I could possibly want, plus a framebuffer, plus one of my favourite architectures.

Sadly th eone person I was hoping wouldn't do the distribution here, is. But it would seem according to something I read that they have dropped the price to $38.
I've abandoned projects in the past because a component I needed was only available through them and I didn't want to pay $40 postage for a <$1 part.

Here's the link to the article.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/raspberry-pi-gets-aussie-price-drop-339333804.htm

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Finally got to place my raspberry pi order today. Still need to figure out what I am going to use it for. Maybe I can let it collect dust like my pickit2 and arduino ^_^

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Finally got to place my raspberry pi order today. Still need to figure out what I am going to use it for. Maybe I can let it collect dust like my pickit2 and arduino ^_^

Can I have them?

I think it will help if you think of it more as the big daddy of all development boards rather than a low powered computer. The fact that it's less than half the price of even a fairly modest PIC or Atmel board really does my head in. There are so many wonderful misuses for that much power, like intelligent real time monitoring and nice looking display of it in a car, home automation I guess, loving awesome robots!, A graphics calculator that makes a TI look like an abacus, (If / when Android gets ported) an Android development board because the emulator sucks hairy balls, If it's a B, a small file / print / music server, or a way of providing a fancy serial <-> ethernet bridge for retrocomputing. Solar panel controller with enough brains to know where the sun will be any time of the year, a smart terminal or VNC client for another room in the house etc.
These are just a few ideas I pulled off the top of my head.

I love designing and building hardware, writing firmware / software for it and coming up with new uses for things. It's all good fun. use your imagination or just use one of those ideas and it won't be a dust collector.

Oh! I just thought of a couple more for me. A super smart IEC bus virtual device for C=64 is one of them.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
depending on the power utilization i am going to try to build an always on solar powered hotspot with integrated webserver hosting a wikipedia mirror.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

adorai posted:

depending on the power utilization i am going to try to build an always on solar powered hotspot with integrated webserver hosting a wikipedia mirror.

That's a rather esoteric but very cool project. I haven't looked at the specs with power consumption but assuming the SoC has the features I think it does, you should be able to set up a fairly aggressive power scheme with it. My only concern is honestly the power usage of a Wi-Fi adapter.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I have no idea why I bought this other than to function as a computer for my TV and I'm not even sure how I'm going to accomplish that.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

I have no idea why I bought this other than to function as a computer for my TV and I'm not even sure how I'm going to accomplish that.

I'll buy it from you at your cost, plus shipping if you like (assuming you're in North America). I need to replace the beat up laptop currently running my MPD music server.

I hope this trend of offers to buy from early adopters doesn't sink the thread...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I was searching for a fast SD card to be used with the pi, and I found these SD card benchmarks from Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-sd-cards/benchmarks,125.html

Shows a whole bunch of charts using different benchmarking programs. I'm not 100% sure what to make of all of it as far as what's the best card for general linuxing, but I ended up just buying one of the "Patriot EP Series (32 GB, UHS-I)" because it seemed to perform in the top tier for most tests, and at a really nice price for all that capacity.

Also, what the hell is going on with "Samsung Plus (16GB, Class 10) MB-SPAGA" in some of the h2benchw results? It scores like 1000 times faster than the other, but this seems like some sort of error since the other benchmarks show nothing like that. Maybe some weird caching thing going on with the controller on this chip? Or just incorrectly recorded test results?

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women

General_Failure posted:

Why have I received no e-mails? oh well. Are there any people here in Australia which have actually ordered and received one? if so what hoops were there to be jumped through, and where does the hidden price rape from left field come in? I have trouble believing that we'd be allowed to get our hands on one without price gouging at some point upstream.

I'm in Aus and I received my email earlier in the week from RS saying I was allowed to order. Cost roughly 26 pound including delivery.

The Openelec seems to be making pretty good progress, should have something decent in a few months hopefully.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
i was just thinking the funny thing about all this is the title. I have a Commodore 64 which I modified to use as what I guess you could call a mother to the unborn fetuses of electronics projects. The user port pins were grafted into a D25 which I installed in the back. It also taps into some other things including a couple of different clock lines.
using the software TTL level RS232, power feeds, clock signals and various other lines I could test unfinished designs and find problems before fully fleshing out the boards. Strangely I'd love to use the Pi as the basis of some electronics projects too, but it's more both parts in one as it is a complete functioning device and means of debugging all in one.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

General_Failure posted:

I think it will help if you think of it more as the big daddy of all development boards rather than a low powered computer. The fact that it's less than half the price of even a fairly modest PIC or Atmel board really does my head in. There are so many wonderful misuses for that much power, like intelligent real time monitoring and nice looking display of it in a car, home automation I guess, loving awesome robots!, A graphics calculator that makes a TI look like an abacus, (If / when Android gets ported) an Android development board because the emulator sucks hairy balls, If it's a B, a small file / print / music server, or a way of providing a fancy serial <-> ethernet bridge for retrocomputing. Solar panel controller with enough brains to know where the sun will be any time of the year, a smart terminal or VNC client for another room in the house etc.
These are just a few ideas I pulled off the top of my head.

I was just wondering if anyone was looking into getting Robot Operating System running on it. It'd be especially be nice for swarm robot research where you obviously want to minimize the price of each individual robot.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 20, 2012

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Cockmaster posted:

I was just wondering if anyone was looking into getting Robot Operating System running on it. It'd be especially be nice for swarm robot research where you obviously want to minimize the price of each individual robot.

Well, they seem to have binary packages for ARM on Ubuntu, so it could be possible to get it running on other distributions running on the Pi.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Unfortunately the pi still isn't "widely" available, so I might use a beaglebone instead. The beaglebone has four RS232 ports on the expansion connectors, so it would result in a less cluttered solution anyway.

Console servers are readily obtainable, same with IP KVMs. From what I'm told iLO/DRAC gives you a remote connection anyways. Also, there are distributed temperature monitoring devices.

What this would be great for is like single-rack "server rooms", especially if you could put a photosensor on it that tapes to the blinking "poo poo's broken" LED on a server, and traps/emails when it is on.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
IPMI gives you a free console and temperature monitoring, but that could be useful for old servers maybe.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Maybe I can let it collect dust like my pickit2 and arduino ^_^

Mine will literally do this. When I get round to ordering one (busy and travelling now, no point yet) I'm planning on hooking it up to my Roomba and sticking my eggdrop "AI" script on it. I want the Roomba to tell me to bite its shiny metal rear end while it's vacuuming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

peepsalot posted:

I was searching for a fast SD card to be used with the pi, and I found these SD card benchmarks from Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-sd-cards/benchmarks,125.html
SD cards are typically rated (and frankly, designed for) large/bulk sustained writes, because the canonical application for them is to record (large) photos and movies in cameras as fast as possible.

Thing is, for "general linuxing", it's probably best to have a card that emphasizes small (~4 kB) random read performance. This is because embedded devices are typically memory starved, and random read performance is important for avoiding UI lag when you're opening up programs and poo poo.

Unfortunately SD controllers are often designed to trade random read performance, which doesn't matter much on cameras, for improved sequential write. So it's not uncommon to find Class 10 SD cards that perform noticeably worse in this kind of application than some Class 6 ones.

For reference, I have a few Transcend cards that I run ROMs off of on my phone. The random I/O performance of the 8 GB Class 6 card is roughly middle of the pack on those benchmarks but is perfectly adequate. I don't observe UI lag much beyond what I get with on-board NAND, and at $9 it's a good "dirt cheap" option if you don't need much space. In contrast, the 16 GB Class 10 card is horrible. Very bad lag, but I needed more space. If I had known about that Patriot, I would've gotten that.

peepsalot posted:

Also, what the hell is going on with "Samsung Plus (16GB, Class 10) MB-SPAGA" in some of the h2benchw results?
It has to be an error. It's showing 22 GB/s. That's not happening in reality.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 21, 2012

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)
Received my Raspberry Pi today. A bit flummoxed on what to do with it now, between ordering it and receiving it all my spare time I could have dedicated to it has vanished.
Still, it is really drat cool to have, just need to carve out some time to play with it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I'm curious how hard it is to interface with the I2C bus. I found a bunch of low-cost 16 channel LED drivers that use I2C for control, and would love if they have basic "send 'blah' to 'address'" drivers so I could do all the work in userland without having to write any kernel-mode drivers.

The appeal of having my own personal (monochrome/low resolution) jumbotron is too much to pass up. :v:

corgski fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

thelightguy posted:

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I'm curious how hard it is to interface with the I2C bus. I found a bunch of low-cost 16 channel LED drivers that use I2C for control, and would love if they have basic "send 'blah' to 'address'" drivers so I could do all the work in userland without having to write any kernel-mode drivers.

The appeal of having my own personal (monochrome/low resolution) jumbotron is too much to pass up. :v:

Even without device specific drivers, it's not too hard to do everything in userland.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-patches/Documentation/i2c/dev-interface