Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«141 »
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Malcolm XML posted:

Show us the circuit

Itís an LED strip that is powered off a USB port. I want to turn the +5V line off when I give a zwave command. Iím not sure what there is to draw, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Big Booty
Jan 31, 2008
Living in the 8th Dimension, things get rough.

Subjunctive posted:

On the Pi, is there a way to control whether a USB port is powered or not? I'd like to use one to turn on/off a device that is just powered by USB. Maybe an Arduino would be better, but I think it'll be easier to do the zwave stuff from a Pi.
I've used this for one client.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Thatís interesting! Iíll look into that, thank you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Double post, but:

Is there a way to get a second USB bus onto a Pi of any flavour? I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth through GPIO to drive that, though I only need low speed. Googling only gets me information about adding ports to the existing controller, though I might be missing a keyword.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to get a second USB bus onto a Pi of any flavour? I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth through GPIO to drive that, though I only need low speed. Googling only gets me information about adding ports to the existing controller, though I might be missing a keyword.

It should be possible to run one of these https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/...s/MAX3421E.html on the SPI bus. There does appear to be support for that chip in the Linux kernel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

wolrah posted:

It should be possible to run one of these https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/...s/MAX3421E.html on the SPI bus. There does appear to be support for that chip in the Linux kernel.

Interesting, Iíll see if I can find something with one of those on board.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I'm looking to get a Pi to use as a headless file server. Is this going to do me fine, or is there another option that's better/cheaper? I already have a USB SSD to plug in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm looking to get a Pi to use as a headless file server. Is this going to do me fine, or is there another option that's better/cheaper? I already have a USB SSD to plug in.

That should work fine but bear in mind that the Pi is USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast. The SSD is probably overkill since it usually won't saturate the write speed of a mechanical disk.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

It is basically what I have.
Works fine with Kodi, minidlna and my Telldus center all plus as a network Samba share.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

Itís an LED strip that is powered off a USB port. I want to turn the +5V line off when I give a zwave command. Iím not sure what there is to draw, sorry.

Is the USB port connected to mains or something else? If it's mains, just use a zwave switched plug thing. If it's a port, you will need to be able to shut off the port power which can be done by making an "interposer" type board with a bistable latching relay on the power pins of USB. You will need some way of getting zwave to toggle the relay states

(Aren't you an engineering manager? How do you debug without code? )

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at Oct 15, 2017 around 13:59

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Malcolm XML posted:

Is the USB port connected to mains or something else? If it's mains, just use a zwave switched plug thing. If it's a port, you will need to be able to shut off the port power which can be done by making an "interposer" type board with a bistable latching relay on the power pins of USB. You will need some way of getting zwave to toggle the relay states

(Aren't you an engineering manager? How do you debug without code? )

Iím a VC now, Iím not even allowed to read code.

I may be able to make it work with a switched plug. I was hoping to have it automatically go on and off related to the TV and room lighting states. I may be able to program that into my zwave hub thing, Iíll have to look. Otherwise Iíll look into the relay option with a USB zwave dongle.

Thank you!

eddiewalker
Apr 27, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Iím a VC now, Iím not even allowed to read code.

I may be able to make it work with a switched plug. I was hoping to have it automatically go on and off related to the TV and room lighting states. I may be able to program that into my zwave hub thing, Iíll have to look. Otherwise Iíll look into the relay option with a USB zwave dongle.

Thank you!

If youíre getting deep into z-wave, consider Home Assistant on a Pi. Itís got support for tons of APIs, great automation and good z-wave support. The only downside is a json and yaml learning curve.

Since you wanted to minimize buying new stuff, one of the cool tricks HA can do on a Pi is controlling $5 Etekcity plug switches with a $3 433mhz gpio module. I still use z-wave for critical jobs, and thereís no state reporting, but it work really well for dumb little things like LED strips behind my TV.

(RX for initially sniffing codes on the right, TX on the left, cheap zwave stick out of frame)

https://home-assistant.io/components/switch.rpi_rf/

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at Oct 15, 2017 around 22:06

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Oh yeah, Iíve heard about HA. I bought this Pi originally to control my electric fireplace via zwave, and I have 433MHz rx/tx widgets for that. I can probably do that part with Arduino though, if I get WiFi on it.

This has given me a lot to think about!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Rexxed posted:

That should work fine but bear in mind that the Pi is USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast. The SSD is probably overkill since it usually won't saturate the write speed of a mechanical disk.

I already have the SSD from another project, so it's free. It's not very big, though. Anyone have a cheap recommendation for when I trade up? A terabyte is probably overkill, but I get the impression that's the low end these days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit for idiots

FredMSloniker posted:

I already have the SSD from another project, so it's free. It's not very big, though. Anyone have a cheap recommendation for when I trade up? A terabyte is probably overkill, but I get the impression that's the low end these days.

What are you actually trying to do? If you're just hosting a bunch of media to be streamed, a low-speed high capacity regular hard drive in an enclosure or as a pre-packaged external hard drive will do just fine. However it probably won't be able to run direct off the Pi's power supply as an SSD in an enclosure or premade external drive will.

You can get a 4 terabyte Seagate external drive for $100 these days, or if you want something that's portable you can get Toshiba 3 terabyte portable drives for the same $100 (though keep in mind, your Pi may not be able to handle such drives' power needs without a powered hub).

1 terabyte SSDs on the other hand are still $250-$300 on their own, and a Pi will absolutely not make use of their benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

I've got my pi3 not doing anything in particular at the moment, but had an idea to see if I could use it as a synthesizer or to turn say, an arcade stick into a drum pad or midi controller or something similar. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look into software for that sort of thing?

«141 »