Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Well, an original Raspberry Pi Model B is about 7× the speed of the baseline Sun SPARCstation 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

I know it's not literally a raspberry pi product, but the odroid c2 is pretty much a more powerful modern update to the model b. The only drawback has been no onboard wifi, everything else is pretty much the same but higher spec

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

On the other hand the SparcSTATION 20 probably had a system bus that ran at a faster speed than 1.1 mbit/s.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
It certainly did but practically speaking I found the RPi I/O benchmarked as faster.

If I still had the SS20, I might try benchmarking both it and the RPi against an NFS share served from my Linux box’s SSD, to see how close to 10Mbit they can get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's a completely silly comparison, as the Pis are all also still far behind early 2000s desktops even while being ahead of early 90s workstations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Harminoff posted:

So I got a pi zero w just so I could run pihole on it (which is amazing btw)

Is this thing powerful enough to do other things as well? Thinking of adding transmission to it.

Having run a Raspberry Pi 2 for several months as an always-on torrent server in the past (using Deluge) my opinion is that it works well considering the inherent limitations of the platform, but those limitations are significant. Make sure you have a reliable power source that's actually putting out close to 5V so you don't get random brownouts and system disk corruption, and realize that all of your I/O is going through a single USB2.0 bus internally so there are serious limits to how fast it will go. Even with the reduced processor in the Zero it should be fine just to run a torrent server but there's no way you're going to be able to get files into or out of it at much more than 10MBps with locally attached disks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eletriarnation posted:

Having run a Raspberry Pi 2 for several months as an always-on torrent server in the past (using Deluge) my opinion is that it works well considering the inherent limitations of the platform, but those limitations are significant. Make sure you have a reliable power source that's actually putting out close to 5V so you don't get random brownouts and system disk corruption, and realize that all of your I/O is going through a single USB2.0 bus internally so there are serious limits to how fast it will go. Even with the reduced processor in the Zero it should be fine just to run a torrent server but there's no way you're going to be able to get files into or out of it at much more than 10MBps with locally attached disks.

I used a Pi for that usage case for a while, and it was frustrating having a gigabit internal network and 250mbit internet, while the Pi couldn't even saturate fast ethernet.

An atom nuc like this one is so vastly better at that same job, while still being a tiny quiet power efficient box.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://a.co/gZ358Gk I got an 80 dollar one of these a few years ago for torrents and etc and it's great. saturates my bandwidth to my synology and my 50mbs internet. Runs windows too.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Same, I'm eyeballing to update mine at some point. Mostly use it to stream random stuff and play some light emulators on my living room tv.

I did end up adding an mSATA SSD in there to try and speed it up a little.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is this thread strictly about Raspberry Pi or other cheap PC-on-a-boards too? I'd like to make an emulator box but not sure if Raspberry Pi 3 is best for that.

I'd also like to build my own router, but I would need 2x Gigabit ethernets for that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is this thread strictly about Raspberry Pi or other cheap PC-on-a-boards too? I'd like to make an emulator box but not sure if Raspberry Pi 3 is best for that.

I'd also like to build my own router, but I would need 2x Gigabit ethernets for that.

A Pi 3 is by no means the "best" emulator box but it is a very good choice if you haven't built one before because it's so popular. A Pi 3 running RetroPie is probably the most common platform for playing emulators on a TV these days.

They are a terrible idea to use as a router though. The onboard NIC is over USB and any second one you'd add would also be, so you'd have two NICs sharing 480mbit/sec peak of CPU-driven bandwidth. Not good. If you want a cheap router running a *nix-ish OS just grab a Netgate SG-1000 or wait for the pfSense port to the EspressoBin that's coming soon.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 23, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
EspressoBin looks more like what I was looking for ($50 on Amazon, the SG-1000 is $150). Mainly was interested in pfSense but I can live with OpenWRT until then. I remember there was also some HP thin client model that had two GbE which also worked well for pfSense, I might have to dig around on ebay to find that. Though that isn't as fun as a tiny SoC.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah posted:

A Pi 3 is by no means the "best" emulator box but it is a very good choice if you haven't built one before because it's so popular. A Pi 3 running RetroPie is probably the most common platform for playing emulators on a TV these days.

They are a terrible idea to use as a router though. The onboard NIC is over USB and any second one you'd add would also be, so you'd have two NICs sharing 480mbit/sec peak of CPU-driven bandwidth. Not good. If you want a cheap router running a *nix-ish OS just grab a Netgate SG-1000 or wait for the pfSense port to the EspressoBin that's coming soon.

On this note, I'm emulating snes games on a first-gen pi, I bought it in 2011 or 2012. Some games chug even with overclocking to the occasional crash. Would the pi 3 get better performance? The specs don't seem all that much better.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Careful Drums posted:

On this note, I'm emulating snes games on a first-gen pi, I bought it in 2011 or 2012. Some games chug even with overclocking to the occasional crash. Would the pi 3 get better performance? The specs don't seem all that much better.

Huge difference. The gen 3 is a quad core with a faster clock speed and four times the RAM.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poeticoddity posted:

Huge difference. The gen 3 is a quad core with a faster clock speed and four times the RAM.

Thanks. Think it could handle next gen emulation like n64 and ps2?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Careful Drums posted:

Not great, and last I knew for ps2 not at all

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Careful Drums posted:

NO.

All the Raspberry Pi models have the same GPU as the original model. It's not suited to any 3D consoles although select N64, Saturn and PS1 games will run ok or even well. The PS2 is right out. If the 3's CPU was paired with a more modern smartphone graphics chipset it could handle even some PS2 stuff well, but that hasn't happened yet.

Hopefully when they finally roll out the RPi 4 they do it with more recent graphics.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Careful Drums posted:

Odroid c2 my man. I mention it so much in this thread that they should be paying me but it's pretty much a more powerful pi3b without wifi/bluetooth and it will run most games fine. Noticable step up from the pi for sure, pretty much what I'm using for stuff until there's a pi4 and it looks good.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Odroid c2 my man. I mention it so much in this thread that they should be paying me but it's pretty much a more powerful pi3b without wifi/bluetooth and it will run most games fine. Noticable step up from the pi for sure, pretty much what I'm using for stuff until there's a pi4 and it looks good.

Thanks for the recommendation, but i imagine the community support isn't there like it is for the pi? Idk.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Careful Drums posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, but i imagine the community support isn't there like it is for the pi? Idk.

Not quite, but it's close. There's an official libreelec build for it, good linux and android builds, and a lot of pi stuff either works or is easily adapted. Tbf I've only been using them to make little streaming/game boxes with libreelec, but it sounds like that's what you're trying to do anyways right?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Not quite, but it's close. There's an official libreelec build for it, good linux and android builds, and a lot of pi stuff either works or is easily adapted. Tbf I've only been using them to make little streaming/game boxes with libreelec, but it sounds like that's what you're trying to do anyways right?

Basically yeah. Just been having a lot of fun with my little ones playing old school games and doing tech things not for work. I'll check it out, thanks!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
According to the master gflops list, isn't the Videocore IV at 400mhz pretty comparable to a Mali 450 MP3 from the odroid? I know gflops isn't everything but they look like they'd be in the same ballpark. The odroid XU4 uses a Mali T628 MP6 which looks considerably faster than the others.

I don't have any experience with any of these systems though, just going by this
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

Maybe I'll try the XU4 for an emulation box unless there is some reason not to.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Isn’t it supported by mainstream Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora ARM builds yet?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swung by microcenter this morning and picked up a 3 for some emulation boost and a zero to see about setting up a pi hole.

But now what to do with the first-gen?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Careful Drums posted:

I swung by microcenter this morning and picked up a 3 for some emulation boost and a zero to see about setting up a pi hole.

But now what to do with the first-gen?

Heh I turned my first-gen into a pi hole when I got my 3. After that I was inspired to set up a zero pi hole for my mother-in-law and it works great - just make sure you have all the appropriate adapters/dongles!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of dongles does it need? It's just a dns server isn't it?

Unless you're talking about doing it with a zero.

mewse
May 2, 2006

1st gen would need a wifi dongle to run pi hole

disregard I should probably read about pi hole

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
It only has a mini-HDMI, so take that into consideration for your initial setup. Also, there's no ethernet port, so unless you're running a W, you'll need a usb-to-ethernet dongle.

The power & hdmi are a little too close to each other, so be mindful of the width of your connectors.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just run it headless, way easier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, once I get ssh running with my rsa keys no pi has a display or keyboard plugged into it.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Is it possible to run it headless from the start? When I've set mine up I've hooked them up to my monitor until ssh was working.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yep. Super easy to set up, just need to change a couple files on the sd card.

https://howtoraspberrypi.com/how-to-raspberry-pi-headless-setup/

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Awesome, thanks! It's a question I simply never thought to ask haha. I'll save that for the future.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I set up my rp1 as my niece's first computer (5yo). She has learned how to find the bsdgames I installed for her and run hangman by herself. She also uses it to play pico8 games.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alpha Mayo posted:

EspressoBin looks more like what I was looking for ($50 on Amazon, the SG-1000 is $150). Mainly was interested in pfSense but I can live with OpenWRT until then. I remember there was also some HP thin client model that had two GbE which also worked well for pfSense, I might have to dig around on ebay to find that. Though that isn't as fun as a tiny SoC.
If you like pfSense then yea EspressoBin is a good bet if you're patient. Here's AFAIK the most recent update from about a month or so ago:
https://twitter.com/gonzopancho/status/954075161233326083

While we're discussing other "hacker-friendly" SBCs is anyone aware of any options that have actual proper Android support? As in not just "it has a binary-only build of a version 2-3 revisions old which hasn't been updated in two years" but something where useful source is provided at bare minimum and preferably the vendor actually puts some ongoing dev time in to it.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I set up the pi3 with retropi and my snes games run buttery smooth now. I was even able to copy my savestates and didn't lose any progress on my games!

Embarrassingly, I didn't realize the zero doesn't have an RJ-45 so I should probably get a dongle or something to use it as a pi-hole. I think instead I'll set up pi-hole on my first-gen and see if it holds up, and find something fun to do with the zero later.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wolrah posted:

While we're discussing other "hacker-friendly" SBCs is anyone aware of any options that have actual proper Android support? As in not just "it has a binary-only build of a version 2-3 revisions old which hasn't been updated in two years" but something where useful source is provided at bare minimum and preferably the vendor actually puts some ongoing dev time in to it.

The oDroid XU4 directly advertises support for 7.1 on the product page, and it looks like the same SoC as the Galaxy S5 so I would suspect that helps with ongoing support. I'm not sure about source availability though, is that at all common for current SoCs?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 26, 2018

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Does PiHole make your connection slower on inbound due the bus constraints?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

eightysixed posted:

Does PiHole make your connection slower on inbound due the bus constraints?

I'm wondering the same thing and once I set it up I'll post about it. From browsing the pi-hole subreddit, it *shouldn't* slow things down but some users are saying it is causing some problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pihole in its default configuration is just a dns server. The only thing it's doing is fielding a dns lookup from your computer, checking the ip against the blacklist, and if it passes it relays the query to an upstream DNS to get you the ip that matches the hostname. This is a trivial amount of traffic and well within the capabilities of even a first gen raspberry.

There might be a couple extra milliseconds to resolve hostnames because an additional server is in the chain but this only happens on the first lookup (the result will be cached for some period) and is the same delay you'd get using your ISP's dns server.

Your actual network transfers never touch the pihole.

There can be issues with pihole when ipv6 and ssl get involved, which they have some documentation for if you dig around.