Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«147 »
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007
Ask me how it all ends!

Oven Wrangler

Well, an original Raspberry Pi Model B is about 7× the speed of the baseline Sun SPARCstation 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

I know it's not literally a raspberry pi product, but the odroid c2 is pretty much a more powerful modern update to the model b. The only drawback has been no onboard wifi, everything else is pretty much the same but higher spec

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

On the other hand the SparcSTATION 20 probably had a system bus that ran at a faster speed than 1.1 mbit/s.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007
Ask me how it all ends!

Oven Wrangler

It certainly did but practically speaking I found the RPi I/O benchmarked as faster.

If I still had the SS20, I might try benchmarking both it and the RPi against an NFS share served from my Linux box’s SSD, to see how close to 10Mbit they can get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Every DSA is a cop

It's a completely silly comparison, as the Pis are all also still far behind early 2000s desktops even while being ahead of early 90s workstations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Pillbug

Harminoff posted:

So I got a pi zero w just so I could run pihole on it (which is amazing btw)

Is this thing powerful enough to do other things as well? Thinking of adding transmission to it.

Having run a Raspberry Pi 2 for several months as an always-on torrent server in the past (using Deluge) my opinion is that it works well considering the inherent limitations of the platform, but those limitations are significant. Make sure you have a reliable power source that's actually putting out close to 5V so you don't get random brownouts and system disk corruption, and realize that all of your I/O is going through a single USB2.0 bus internally so there are serious limits to how fast it will go. Even with the reduced processor in the Zero it should be fine just to run a torrent server but there's no way you're going to be able to get files into or out of it at much more than 10MBps with locally attached disks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Having run a Raspberry Pi 2 for several months as an always-on torrent server in the past (using Deluge) my opinion is that it works well considering the inherent limitations of the platform, but those limitations are significant. Make sure you have a reliable power source that's actually putting out close to 5V so you don't get random brownouts and system disk corruption, and realize that all of your I/O is going through a single USB2.0 bus internally so there are serious limits to how fast it will go. Even with the reduced processor in the Zero it should be fine just to run a torrent server but there's no way you're going to be able to get files into or out of it at much more than 10MBps with locally attached disks.

I used a Pi for that usage case for a while, and it was frustrating having a gigabit internal network and 250mbit internet, while the Pi couldn't even saturate fast ethernet.

An atom nuc like this one is so vastly better at that same job, while still being a tiny quiet power efficient box.

Jago
Jun 10, 2001
well THAT was retarded

Fun Shoe

http://a.co/gZ358Gk I got an 80 dollar one of these a few years ago for torrents and etc and it's great. saturates my bandwidth to my synology and my 50mbs internet. Runs windows too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Same, I'm eyeballing to update mine at some point. Mostly use it to stream random stuff and play some light emulators on my living room tv.

I did end up adding an mSATA SSD in there to try and speed it up a little.

«147 »