Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«164 »
jokes
Dec 20, 2012
jokes

There was discussion on the pihole reddit about it. I'm fairly certain it's a direct competitor, there's really not much difference. There's a bit more usability with PiHole but AdGuard is also trying to make theirs very easy to use/set up.

I think the issue is that AdGuard Home is trying to work on a bunch of devices which is gonna be a bitch when PiHole works well on an RPI specifically and thus is easier to make sure is working great.

But then again, AdGuard is a business that does well otherwise and PiHole is a bunch of randos relying on donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Who manages and updates those lists? That's all you gotta care about.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

jokes posted:

I think the issue is that AdGuard Home is trying to work on a bunch of devices which is gonna be a bitch when PiHole works well on an RPI specifically and thus is easier to make sure is working great.

It should be noted that, despite it's name, the pi-hole works on basically any debian-based distribution, and with a bit of work, probably any flavor of linux.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012
jokes

John Capslocke posted:

It should be noted that, despite it's name, the pi-hole works on basically any debian-based distribution, and with a bit of work, probably any flavor of linux.

Yeah but the idea behind poo poo designed for RPi like Pi-hole (and Raspbian) is to be super minimalist and tailored specifically to the ultra-low processing capabilities of the Pi. It also means that devs don't need to give too much of a poo poo about varying hardware for end users.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

John Capslocke posted:

I can speak to the fact that there's a version of pi-hole for (the very not debian-based) arch linux in the AUR repository. I'm running it and the arm fork of arch on my beagle-bone-black.

The efficiency of pi-hole comes from the fact that there's actually not much to it at all:
  • It uses dnsmasq to handle the DNS server duties (just like the script I posted a week or so does)
  • The config file for dnsmasq is modified to point to a hosts file (located at /etc/pihole/gravity in my install) in which blacklisted url's are resolved to the IP of machine running pi-hole (this is basically not much different to modifying your local hosts file to redirect certain addresses to 127.0.0.1)
  • The pi-hole daemon is mostly there to handle updating the hosts file (after blacklist updates) and re-configuring of dnsmasq
  • A http server hosts the PHP web interface, and handles the requests that would be going to ad servers (though both of these are actually optional)

The http server is optional because you can forego the web-interface entirely if you want (and issue commands to daemon via command line - eg: "pihole updateGravity"). It's also not necessary for ad's to be redirected to a valid http server - it's actually more efficient to just TCP-reset them with the following iptables rules (this assumes a lan subnet of 192.168.1.x):
code:
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
I found this out because I actually host a website on the same device, and after installing pi-hole I was seeing bits of my site sometimes appear where the ad's should be. I could have fixed this by setting up an alternate site for pi-hole's purposes but I found the above rules worked just fine (and still allow external IP's to access my web server).

«164 »