Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you need it now you can always spin an instance up in a VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Warbird posted:

If you need it now you can always spin an instance up in a VM.

https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

This is what I do… screw using the pi for a critical network service

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yeah this makes more sense and I already have the hardware to do it. Thanks goons.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

namlosh posted:

This is what I do… screw using the pi for a critical network service

I run my pihole on a pi because I am brave and virile, and also because it's not really the end of the world if it shits the bed.

But I love how easy it is to do containers and VMs and poo poo these days. It's like magic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just moved my pihole over to a container on my nas, was so easy to just save settings and reapply (although strangely the dhcp settings did not cone over).

Now I need to think of what to do with this spare pi! One thing I was thinking about was get familiar with network booting so I don’t have to use sd cards, I think a netboot.xyz container perhaps.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Sometime in November the SD card in my Raspberry Pi 3B died, so I decided to bite the bullet this weekend and start moving all the strange things I was doing on it to the 4B I've had for a couple years now.

One of the things I'd been doing was running an hourly speedtest with speeedtest-cli using Python, posting the results to a Google Spreadsheet, and displaying it on an epaper display.

However, it seems that while I've got 100mpbs download/5Mbps upload on the line, and the Pi-3 was generally reporting pretty close to that when running, the Pi-4's speedtest-cli executions are always showing 2.28Mbps download/2.26 upload, when speedtest.net is generally reporting in the high 80s when run from the browser on the Pi 4.

code:
pi@cherrypi:~ $ speedtest-cli --version
speedtest-cli 2.1.3
Python 2.7.16 (default, Oct 10 2019, 22:02:15) [GCC 8.3.0]
Is there a different version I should be using? The Pi 4 is also running as a Pi-Hole, and I'm attempting to get FreshRss to work on it as well.

Edit: Looks like it may have been some sort of issue with the service speedtest-cli uses in my location, speeds are back up to where I expect them to be.

Edit: Nope, now they're back down to 2Mbps again.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 13, 2022

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I’m building out a RPI cluster and I am planning on 8 nodes of RPI 4. As I recall they are 5v 3a, so that should be 15w, 15x8=120w power supply. So far I found a 120w USB hub for crypto mining but they are quite expensive. I’m trying to have one power plug and multiple USB C cables to power them all.

Any suggestions?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

I’m building out a RPI cluster and I am planning on 8 nodes of RPI 4. As I recall they are 5v 3a, so that should be 15w, 15x8=120w power supply. So far I found a 120w USB hub for crypto mining but they are quite expensive. I’m trying to have one power plug and multiple USB C cables to power them all.

Any suggestions?

I use an Anker USB charger for my cluster, it is only 10 ports but it does the job really well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boner Wad posted:

Any suggestions?
It won't be cheaper necessarily, but especially for that kind of a use case have you considered PoE? You'd be eliminating eight cables and the power adapter, freeing up the USB-C port for potential future use, and gaining the ability to remotely power cycle individual nodes by toggling power in the switch.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
This is one of those questions that are laser focused on the wrong solution.

PoE or rolling your own octopus with a big power supply brick are probably it, not USB.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

ante posted:

This is one of those questions that are laser focused on the wrong solution.

PoE or rolling your own octopus with a big power supply brick are probably it, not USB.

I have thought about doing both and sounds like I'll go down one of those paths instead of USB.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

I have thought about doing both and sounds like I'll go down one of those paths instead of USB.

Keep in mind that the PoE things have annoying little fans that you *will* hear. It was the reason I removed them from my cluster.

These were the 1st gen though, might have changed I don't know.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

5v 30A 150w power supply $18

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232174919741?hash=item360eb4203d:g:H9EAAOSwcUBYUfSB

Do your research pick a good power supply, they vary by brand, but cheap supplies exist

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Keep in mind that the PoE things have annoying little fans that you *will* hear. It was the reason I removed them from my cluster.

These were the 1st gen though, might have changed I don't know.

What do you use now?

I also noticed that they are configurable to change when the temperatures when they come on. So it might be okay but I’m sensitive to any fan noise so it might not work out well.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

What do you use now?

I also noticed that they are configurable to change when the temperatures when they come on. So it might be okay but I’m sensitive to any fan noise so it might not work out well.

USB powersupply. :) Silent.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

USB powersupply. :) Silent.

I think I just got poo poo for trying to use USB to power them all. :doh:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's a big difference in power requirement from the first gen Pi to the Pi 4, which is why using USB for power has gotten a lot more expensive. Hadlock's big 5V supply is going to be a good idea if you're using a lot in one location but you want to get a good brand since the Pi doesn't tolerate much voltage fluctuation. You'll just need to figure out appropriate wiring for 15 Watts DC and hook it to the expansion header:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats/blob/master/designguide.md#back-powering-the-pi-via-the-gpio-header

Since you'll want a well regulated 5V supply don't skimp and get the cheapest one. Meanwell makes decent power supplies and probably has an appropriate sized one for your project. A lot of the bigger ones have fans which do make a little bit of noise but it's not a crazy amount if you get a decent one. Some of the smaller ones are fanless and you could consider using multiple smaller ones if that noise is an issue (like say use a 10A one for two or three Pis). There's also laptop brick style power supplies that will usually go up to 15A or so, you'd just need a barrel jack and wire it out to the different units. Might be worth putting switches in line for each one if you're wiring up your own power to a cluster.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boner Wad posted:

I’m building out a RPI cluster

Why not just get a NUC or one of the other 4x4 boxes? It'd be about the same cost and it'd be much more powerful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yard why I got out of the pi game entirely and got a dell micro form factor thing. It's Intel so it runs everything and I'm not stuck with arm builds.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ha, seems to be a common thing. I just realized that Jenkins doesn't do ARM32 which is supremely annoying. While I do love my little workstation pi using a m.2 case at that point I'd be better off using a NUC for about the same amount of money.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Comatoast posted:

Why not just get a NUC or one of the other 4x4 boxes? It'd be about the same cost and it'd be much more powerful.

It is nice to have actual physical machines, at least that is why I run them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

at that point I'd be better off using a NUC for about the same amount of money.

Raspberry-pi.txt

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ever since I got my nuc my pi's have only served for off grid projects.. like camera controls or disk cloning.

Though the previously discussed power requirements with the latest models are putting that at risk. I guess they make low power models but I want the usb3. :negative:

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

Ever since I got my nuc my pi's have only served for off grid projects.. like camera controls or disk cloning.

Though the previously discussed power requirements with the latest models are putting that at risk. I guess they make low power models but I want the usb3. :negative:

What NUC do you suggest? I have some specific reasons for wanting raspberry pis, mostly to learn kubernetes, separating out SDR radio tools I mess with, and very specific things like OctoPi.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I'm thinking of getting a Pi to serve as a pi-hole / Plex server, and eventually also occasional octopi duties whenever we finally dig out the printer again. One of the main reasons I want to do this is to finally offload Plex duties from my main PC so I'll be able to leave it unpowered most of the time.

Does the Pi 4 B perform well enough to handle those duties concurrently? My main use case for Plex is streaming 1080p content via Chromecast to the TV and occasional usage from an iPad, and I'd like it to be able to handle 4K in the future. I tried using my NAS as the Plex server but it choked on streaming.
It's mainly my wife and I that use the internet so we won't have a lot of concurrent open sessions, but I'm worried that internet access will suffer when streaming via Plex.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boner Wad posted:

What NUC do you suggest? I have some specific reasons for wanting raspberry pis, mostly to learn kubernetes, separating out SDR radio tools I mess with, and very specific things like OctoPi.

I bought the cheapest one that is nvme only. So one of the i3 ones, for anything you were considering a pi for it's still a ton of power.

Mine is probably five years old now, it's run as an ssh gateway, pihole, netflow, and a valheim server without breaking a sweat. No k8s on it but it's running flatcar for all the container goodness.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don't Ask posted:

Does the Pi 4 B perform well enough to handle those duties concurrently? My main use case for Plex is streaming 1080p content via Chromecast to the TV and occasional usage from an iPad, and I'd like it to be able to handle 4K in the future. I tried using my NAS as the Plex server but it choked on streaming.

A Pi 4 still isn't great at transcoding on the fly. It can do some though -- the 4 has hardware for H264 1080p 30fps encoding. But that's it. One stream only.

When using Plex server on a limited device like a Pi or NAS box, the thing to be highly aware of the limit on transcoding. This means your devices that are watching need to be capable of playing back the original file, and set to original only in their settings. I'd guess that was why your NAS box didn't work, because otherwise it's just serving the file. But if your playback devices are limited in what formats they can ingest, your plex server needs to do transcode.

If you need a plex server that's able to do higher spec hardware encoding, you want to step up to something much better. An intel NUC box would be pretty ideal: still pretty power-efficient and quiet, and intel's GPU has pretty great hardware encode support. Not nearly as cheap as a pi though.

Don't Ask posted:

It's mainly my wife and I that use the internet so we won't have a lot of concurrent open sessions, but I'm worried that internet access will suffer when streaming via Plex.

As in the pihole response getting slow while the plex server is in use? Don't think so. The Pihole part is super simple.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I use a pi4 for torrenting and plex and it does "fine". It plays 4k for a single user without issue. Every now and then there is a file that stutters even though the bitrate isn't that high but it happens so rarely I've never bothered to figure out why.

Of course, seeking on those large files isn't fast but I guess I don't do that much.

Having said that if you have the money and space a NUC is surely going to provida a more pleasant experience.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
This may be worthwhile for folks to know - Plex does have a "pre-transcode" feature that can optimize stuff for a specific device - you need some extra disk space on the pi to keep it on there, but I think you can preset it so that the things you're streaming most have an easier time being direct piped to a device.

My Pi4 was having issues with Plex, but it turned out to be a leading indicator of an SD card that was garbage. Now almost everything works fine - although I usually just do 1080p since my projector + roku stick are not 4k compatible.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
also plex is horrible try jellyfin instead. for a lot of use cases it is good enough

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

other people posted:

also plex is horrible try jellyfin instead. for a lot of use cases it is good enough

On my Raspberry pi4 Plex worked, Jellyfin just kept eating ram and crashing.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Also I gotta learn some new thing? It took me forever to switch away from xbmc.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Boner Wad posted:

Any suggestions?

A Pi4 draws like 800-900ma fully loaded. The recommendation for 3A is to ensure every peripheral plugged into USB can draw full power, and because the onboard regulator sucks rear end and reports "low voltage" for no goddamn reason. It's a lot cheaper for the Pi Foundation to recommend overspec supplies than it is to fix the regulator.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Klyith posted:

A Pi 4 still isn't great at transcoding on the fly. It can do some though -- the 4 has hardware for H264 1080p 30fps encoding. But that's it. One stream only.

When using Plex server on a limited device like a Pi or NAS box, the thing to be highly aware of the limit on transcoding. This means your devices that are watching need to be capable of playing back the original file, and set to original only in their settings. I'd guess that was why your NAS box didn't work, because otherwise it's just serving the file. But if your playback devices are limited in what formats they can ingest, your plex server needs to do transcode.

If you need a plex server that's able to do higher spec hardware encoding, you want to step up to something much better. An intel NUC box would be pretty ideal: still pretty power-efficient and quiet, and intel's GPU has pretty great hardware encode support. Not nearly as cheap as a pi though.

As in the pihole response getting slow while the plex server is in use? Don't think so. The Pihole part is super simple.

Thanks, I've tried running the server on the NAS again but it still choked even when set to play the original file without transcoding. It's an entry level QNAP so I didn't really expect it to do more than simple NAS duties anyway. What you said about encoding support is something to think on though, it's a 1st or 2nd gen Chromecast and I'm not sure that it even supports H.265 so that's also a problem.
A NUC would do the job but I'm hoping that the cheaper (and less energy demanding) Pi will do the trick.

other people posted:

I use a pi4 for torrenting and plex and it does "fine". It plays 4k for a single user without issue. Every now and then there is a file that stutters even though the bitrate isn't that high but it happens so rarely I've never bothered to figure out why.

Thanks, sounds promising. How is plex horrible? I've been using it for years and it does a pretty good job of organizing and streaming all the movies and shows that we watch. Good point on the torrenting, that's another thing that I'd want to offload from my PC since it's all on the NAS anyway.

Alucard posted:

This may be worthwhile for folks to know - Plex does have a "pre-transcode" feature that can optimize stuff for a specific device - you need some extra disk space on the pi to keep it on there, but I think you can preset it so that the things you're streaming most have an easier time being direct piped to a device.

My Pi4 was having issues with Plex, but it turned out to be a leading indicator of an SD card that was garbage. Now almost everything works fine - although I usually just do 1080p since my projector + roku stick are not 4k compatible.

Good to know, thanks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been running Plex on an RPi4 since the 4 was released. It's great for one transcode at a time, which is about all i have outbound bandwidth for anyhow.

I also have it running Nextcloud (which is just barely usable, probably because PHP), transmission, an Atlas probe, and some custom software to rip and transcode optical media. It's also routing traffic for five VLANs to two upstream ISPs. The only reason I can get away with all this because everything is usually idle.

I'm also concerned about power use, and this is a great solution. So I'm gonna go with yes, you can run Plex on it 😉

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cruft posted:

I also have it running Nextcloud (which is just barely usable, probably because PHP)

yes

nobody should be running any kind of PHP after like 2012 unless you're like 9 years old and just got off on the wrong foot

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah do everything in JavaScript, the much more mature and well designed language.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Not to mention there's a night and day difference between modern PHP and 2012 PHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

xzzy posted:

I bought the cheapest one that is nvme only. So one of the i3 ones, for anything you were considering a pi for it's still a ton of power.

Mine is probably five years old now, it's run as an ssh gateway, pihole, netflow, and a valheim server without breaking a sweat. No k8s on it but it's running flatcar for all the container goodness.
To hop onto this. I wanted to run a media server so I picked up a used Dell Optiplex 7060 micro which has literal tonnes of power but also cost me about 3-4x what a pi costs; still not a very large expense. That said, it allows me to basically only run a pihole on my Raspberry which I figure together with log2ram means that I only have to touch it every once upon a blue moon when there's a rebase of RPOS to a new version of debian. I've been looking into running AdGuard instead of Pihole but so far the effort outweighs the pros for me personally.