Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
If you got a 3B+ from PI-TOP during their sale, I asked when they're shipping out and they said there's a shipping delay getting from the UK to their shipper in the US. The UK shipments are going out now, but the US will see them around the end of Sept or maybe early Oct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VictualSquid posted:

Crazy. A few years ago I ordered a 0W from them, which was one per customer. And I added a normal 0 to meet a shipping minimum, I could have bought a whole box.
Still haven't found a use yet. All my projects that are worth using a pi profit from having the wireless.

I don't need wireless, since I'll be using the USB Ethernet to connect to the USB port on my router, which can be done by emulating the device ID of a supported LTE modem. Then I'll run Pi-hole on it, from a single USB connection.

Mostly just because I can.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't need wireless, since I'll be using the USB Ethernet to connect to the USB port on my router, which can be done by emulating the device ID of a supported LTE modem. Then I'll run Pi-hole on it, from a single USB connection.

Mostly just because I can.

Are you powering the pi from the usb port? If not you should find a way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The USB port powers the Pi as well, that's the idea. It can supply 1A, and a Zero needs less than 300mA (probably less than 200mA with HDMI switched off etc), even at full tilt.

You can power it through either micro-USB port, not just the one that says "pwr-in". That's how USB gadget mode works.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

KozmoNaut posted:

The USB port powers the Pi as well, that's the idea. It can supply 1A, and a Zero needs less than 300mA (probably less than 200mA with HDMI switched off etc), even at full tilt.

You can power it through either micro-USB port, not just the one that says "pwr-in". That's how USB gadget mode works.

I know about the low power. The heart of my audio system is a Pi0W that runs of an old 500mA charger I got for free with my first smartphone. Which is why the Pi0 is the best Pi.
Didn't know that you can power it through both ports. That is seriously cool.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 17, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

You can even power the Rpi1 by plugging powered usb hub into it. Makes it really fun to restart it by unplugging power.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

VictualSquid posted:

I know about the low power. The heart of my audio system is a Pi0W that runs of an old 500mA charger I got for free with my first smartphone. Which is why the Pi0 is the best Pi.

If it didn't need to be shut down gracefully this feature would be a lot more useful

ickna
May 19, 2004

Splode posted:

If it didn't need to be shut down gracefully this feature would be a lot more useful

If your application can work with a read-only file system then that isn’t as big of a deal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://ubuntu.com/blog/canonical-enables-ubuntu-on-starfives-visionfive-risc-v-boards

Previously, Ubuntu had promised support for a RISC-V board that goes for about $179.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Ubuntu-22.10-Sipeed-LicheeRV

Well, for those of you who are looking to do RISC-V on the cheap, Ubuntu 22.10 is going to support a $17 board that's 1 GHZ and 512 MB RAM.

I imagine that real solutions would use yocto or buildroot to build a cut-down version of an OS for production use but an Ubuntu image would certainly be useful for prototyping.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ickna posted:

If your application can work with a read-only file system then that isn’t as big of a deal

Building a read-only file system is a good idea and would probably work better with an embedded-oriented distribution like yocto or buildroot.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

sb hermit posted:

Building a read-only file system is a good idea and would probably work better with an embedded-oriented distribution like yocto or buildroot.

Rolling your own distro is probably out of scope for a home audio project, especially for something like a Pi where DietPi exists

Mantle
May 15, 2004

sb hermit posted:

https://ubuntu.com/blog/canonical-enables-ubuntu-on-starfives-visionfive-risc-v-boards

Previously, Ubuntu had promised support for a RISC-V board that goes for about $179.

Well, for those of you who are looking to do RISC-V on the cheap, Ubuntu 22.10 is going to support a $17 board that's 1 GHZ and 512 MB RAM.

I imagine that real solutions would use yocto or buildroot to build a cut-down version of an OS for production use but an Ubuntu image would certainly be useful for prototyping.

How does Ubuntu promise all the applications in the distro are going to work? Are they really taking responsibility for compiling every application? Or does it cause a split where different applications are supported on different architectures?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I mean, it has a package manager, not all things are built for all archs.

For example:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sigrok

Only for AMD64

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Pi-Hole on a Zero works great connected via USB to my router, emulating a supported LTE modem, thanks to this guide. It's using Unbound for DoT to Mullvad and UcensoredDNS, plus Log2RAM and disabling everything not needed (HDMI, LEDs and so on), to make it as lean as possible. IP is 10.53.53.53, just because I can :)

It's replacing a Pi3, which joins my stalwart original 26-pin Pi1 for various fun and projects. Now I just have to pick which projects those are.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mantle posted:

How does Ubuntu promise all the applications in the distro are going to work? Are they really taking responsibility for compiling every application? Or does it cause a split where different applications are supported on different architectures?

I expect them to probably cross compile and test the main packages, which is but a small subset of the total packages available to the average ubuntu user on x86.

Many of the commonly used services and software are in the universe and multiverse repositories.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sb hermit posted:

I am running Ubuntu on my D1 (first gen allwinner RISC-V) powered mango pi. The problem with the D1 is that it has the most rudimentary 2D graphics subprocessor, or at least the graphics leave a lot to be desired. I forget the 2d graphics subprocessor tech they're using, but I think when I checked it dates back to the 1990s. That is not an exaggeration

These D1 chips are good for validating your code/toolchain compiles/runs RISC-V but there's no functional GPU in the D1

Haven't tried attaching to the RISC-V X server from my laptop yet though

Looking forward to the D2 or second gen chips though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

I am running Ubuntu on my D1 (first gen allwinner RISC-V) powered mango pi. The problem with the D1 is that it has the most rudimentary 2D graphics subprocessor, or at least the graphics leave a lot to be desired. I forget the 2d graphics subprocessor tech they're using, but I think when I checked it dates back to the 1990s. That is not an exaggeration

These D1 chips are good for validating your code/toolchain compiles/runs RISC-V but there's no functional GPU in the D1

Haven't tried attaching to the RISC-V X server from my laptop yet though

Looking forward to the D2 or second gen chips though

Yeah, graphics tech feels like it would be just as hard as cpu tech, so I'm not surprised that it's not seeing any love until the cpu becomes stable. There's work on some open source gpu cores but it could take awhile until a truly free core becomes available. On the other hand, maybe they could incorporate PowerVR or something, since they seem to really want to be a part of the RISC-V ecosystem. At any rate, updating a cpu to have both compute and graphics cores is gonna be a tough task for a fledgling system.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I were single and 22 again, I would be eyeball deep in the RISC-V community right now, absolutely fantastic chance to become an Authority in new tech, set yourself up as a researcher in residence at Intel or whatever in a couple of years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hadlock posted:

If I were single and 22 again, I would be eyeball deep in the RISC-V community right now, absolutely fantastic chance to become an Authority in new tech, set yourself up as a researcher in residence at Intel or whatever in a couple of years.

:agreed: it really seems poised to take off with SoCs of all type putting them in for things like running the high speed PHYs and peripheral interfaces.

And then it's going to really start pushing out ARMs for the main CPUs for a lot of things! Huge growth potential.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Let me know when it’s stable and documented enough for an old guy like me and I’ll gladly jump on the train

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's a fully open and free spec, here you go, goon sire:

https://github.com/riscv

https://github.com/riscv/.github/blob/main/profile/README.md

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
pi-top shipments on the way, I am excited to finally get a 3B+ so my UPS HAT will finally work right.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vaporware posted:

pi-top shipments on the way, I am excited to finally get a 3B+ so my UPS HAT will finally work right.

My email from them said that I can cancel my order if I want to, but I might get shipping notification. I have not gotten a shipping notification, but it's not that critical I get it quickly.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Once you get the shipping notice it will be quick, they used DHL, so 2-3 days tops.

now that I've got it, I can actually start playing with my UPS hat. I'm not really much past doing some micropython and setting up octoprint, so I'm still reading docs.

it's a Pico HV3.0B on a 3B+, and they recommend running their NOOBs image, but I'm hesitant because I've never used it before? Right now, I've got the pi as my octoprint server, so to enable it without reinstalling I've been reading through their github looking for dependencies.

https://github.com/modmypi/PiModules/wiki/UPS-PIco-Installation

but I also stumbled on this guide someone made for using it with Volumio

https://community.volumio.org/t/guide-ups-pico-hv3-0-by-pimodules-modmypi/7512

but honestly it seems easier to just set up a new SD card, run the NOOBs UPS installer then install octoprint and import my system backup?

I guess I'm dealing with an embarassment of riches here, because there are so many ways to get this job done. Just want to see if anyone with more experience thinks one way or the other is the better learning experience vs the quickest route vs the safest route.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Thanks for this… I’ve got too many projects already but might as well throw another on the pile

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/still-cant-buy-a-raspberry-pi-board-things-arent-getting-better-anytime-soon/

Engineered so well, and with all this fantastic support, that commercial companies are snapping up all the product for their own solutions and/or prototypes or whatever

Makes a much stronger case for an open riscV solution that anyone can fab

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A fully open RISC-V Pi clone with the same general features (USB+GPIO mainly) would be a godsend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the only non fully open part of the rpi is the binary blob bootloader for the GPU (which the CPU is slaved to, not the other way around), and someone has an alternative for that which can even play doom now so it's fully open if you absolutely want it

I think there's some proprietary crap attached to the allwinner D1 simply because they had to bootstrap a RISC-V chip from something, but I suspect the D2 etc will leave legacy trade secret blobs behind it's just expensive and time consuming to do so

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
RISC-V isn't really a solution to any of the supply issues.

Arm-based SBCs are abundant, they just have sketchier support. Pick up a NanoPi or an OrangePi or an Odroid.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm not sure how many people are running a Pi-Aware or ADSB setup, but found this guide on getting it all running on docker.

https://sdr-enthusiasts.gitbook.io/ads-b

It took me about 10 minutes or so to get a new setup running and feeding four different sites. Now I'm going down a rabbit hole of wanting a better antenna that I can stash in my attic and hopefully get more range. Another bonus is I've got everything running on a SFF Lenovo so managing it is easier than dealing with my stack of pi's.

Edit: Not sure if this is cool. I'll edit it out if asked, but I've got all my old pi's up in SA-Mart right now in case anyone wants to pick one up for semi-cheap.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 6, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh nice. I’ve been vaguely meaning to move over to a container based setup and will likely use this once the Pi1 I’ve got in the attic finally gives up.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Is there a good guide to learning the tools to manage a RPI? I suppose dummies guide to being a good/responsible linux admin?

I'm currently running octopi headless, but yesterday it restarted without telling me why. occasionally, the we front end will stop responding, etc. I have learned to use the event logging functions in windows, but have yet to dive into logging and notifs on raspbian. How do I track down what happened? or put in place the tools to diagnose the server in the future?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vaporware posted:

Is there a good guide to learning the tools to manage a RPI? I suppose dummies guide to being a good/responsible linux admin?

I'm currently running octopi headless, but yesterday it restarted without telling me why. occasionally, the we front end will stop responding, etc. I have learned to use the event logging functions in windows, but have yet to dive into logging and notifs on raspbian. How do I track down what happened? or put in place the tools to diagnose the server in the future?

The first thing to know is many Pi distros only log to ram, not disk, because SD cards are fragile and constantly writing logs to the card has potential to kill them. So a mystery reboot will tend to stay a mystery.

The equivalent of the windows event log on linux is the systemd journal, viewed in journalctl.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The most recent raspberry pi OS by default writes both the journal and the syslog copy to disk, unfortunately. Eat poo poo, SD cards.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rescue Toaster posted:

The most recent raspberry pi OS by default writes both the journal and the syslog copy to disk, unfortunately. Eat poo poo, SD cards.

The base RaspiOS is a general-purpose platform though, if you're using that you either want to be running additional storage besides SD or setting things up yourself in whatever way that makes sense. Or you're using it for development and so logs that survive a reboot are more important than SD cards surviving a power loss.

AFAIK most of the distro images built on raspiOS -- pihole, homebridge, audio players, etc -- are set up to only log to /var and OctoPi appears to do the same.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Looking through the logs I think it must have been a networking problem because I don't see a reboot at the time of the event. Thanks for the link, I can explore that command and the endless wonder of log greppin

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Please Jesus let the next Raspberry Pi have at least the option for 16 GB or so of reliable onboard storage. Most microSD cards are dogshit and it can be tough to find the good ones because of counterfeiters.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PBCrunch posted:

Please Jesus let the next Raspberry Pi have at least the option for 16 GB or so of reliable onboard storage. Most microSD cards are dogshit and it can be tough to find the good ones because of counterfeiters.

You can boot the 4 from USB, but yeah, agreed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PBCrunch posted:

Most microSD cards are dogshit and it can be tough to find the good ones because of counterfeiters.

Even a high-quality genuine SD card is vulnerable to getting powered-off during a write and either corrupting or at worst destroying the card. Flash storage just does not deal well with half-finished writes or erases, it's an inherent vulnerability of the tech. Real drives have capacitors to protect against this but a tiny SD card has no space for that.

So yeah just a small eMMC drive would be an upgrade in reliability even if it's no better in any other respect to SD cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Been using a Pi4 running off a m.2 for a while now and it’s great. This said you could get something “better” for the same price at that point.