Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PBCrunch posted:

Please Jesus let the next Raspberry Pi have at least the option for 16 GB or so of reliable onboard storage. Most microSD cards are dogshit and it can be tough to find the good ones because of counterfeiters.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I have a couple compute module 4's with eMMC. Hard to know how long they'll last though. I've been trying to go through and rip out everything extra from the raspberry pi lite install, but maybe I'm looking at it backwards.

Anybody have suggestions for a clean distro that behaves like some of the app-in-a-box distros (pihole, octopi) ie is setup for minimal/reduced writes out of the box? I really just need to install docker and network UPS tools. Maybe ntpd or chrony.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

I have a couple compute module 4's with eMMC. Hard to know how long they'll last though. I've been trying to go through and rip out everything extra from the raspberry pi lite install, but maybe I'm looking at it backwards.

Anybody have suggestions for a clean distro that behaves like some of the app-in-a-box distros (pihole, octopi) ie is setup for minimal/reduced writes out of the box? I really just need to install docker and network UPS tools. Maybe ntpd or chrony.

OpenWRT has a read-only / (on RPi4 only, for some reason), and a write-infrequently overlay filesystem. It does NTP out of the box, and docker is an installable package.

I just came to this realization in a search for pretty much the same thing.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I can confirm that pishop's notification system just does nothing. I'm signed up for any ram size compute module (with no wifi and no emmc) and they've been in stock for sure since I signed up and didn't even get an email after the fact.

I wish I could just put a deposit down to get any 1/2/4/8gb cm4 shipped as soon as they come in stock. I have a project that's just going to be stuck sitting soon if I can't find one by the end of the year or so.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'm really confused about the touchscreen situation. Under bullseye I don't even know what to start looking for to make right clicks work. Should I just bind an external button? It seems like there were some long-press workarounds but not any more?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Hey, I'm trying to do some basic logging off a few thermocouples via python or rust or whatever, what's the most painless way to get started on something like that? I have basic electronics knowledge and middling programming knowledge, but I don't know what the ecosystem is like right now. It looks like a raspberry pi pico w might be good for this? Can you get one of those to stream data off itself somehow? (or is the workflow more like it saves a log file on itself and then you download it?)

Also will it have the power to read the voltage drop across a thermocouple using only its own GPIO pins?

Would I be better off looking at an arduino?

Edit: also I if I did want a fully-fledged computer rather than a microcontroller, it looks like raspberry pis themselves are pretty unobtainium right now, is there a reasonable alternative?

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 3, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You may want to look at an ESP32 or something in that family - they are small, cheap, embedded platforms that often come with decent connectivity. I am working on some home automation stuff with an aliexpress esp32 running esphome, which makes it really easy to flash it with a "these pins are connected to this thing, and connect to this WiFi network with this password" configuration. You can then get data from it in a few different ways - it integrates easily into homeassistant, but if you don't want that you could probably talk MQTT to it - or enable the web server and use that.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Mirconium posted:

Hey, I'm trying to do some basic logging off a few thermocouples via python or rust or whatever, what's the most painless way to get started on something like that? I have basic electronics knowledge and middling programming knowledge, but I don't know what the ecosystem is like right now. It looks like a raspberry pi pico w might be good for this? Can you get one of those to stream data off itself somehow? (or is the workflow more like it saves a log file on itself and then you download it?)

Also will it have the power to read the voltage drop across a thermocouple using only its own GPIO pins?

Would I be better off looking at an arduino?

Edit: also I if I did want a fully-fledged computer rather than a microcontroller, it looks like raspberry pis themselves are pretty unobtainium right now, is there a reasonable alternative?

If you want to measure thermocouples you'll need a thermocouple amplifier. You can get these as anything from full products that do everything you want out of the box, to little arduino compatible modules.
If you don't need it to be thermocouples, you could use NTCs instead. These can be read using a regular analogue pin (on something like an arduino - I don't think raspberry pis have analogue inputs), which may be easier.

Going with an arduino, it'll be easier for you to get a single reading from the thermocouple, and pretty easy to have it spit out readings on the serial terminal. If you want it to run independently from a computer, it'll be quite a lot of work - and you'd need something like an sd card module to even have anywhere to store the data.

The raspberry pi approach will have no issues storing the data, but it'll be trickier to measure the thermocouples (or NTCs) in the first place. Once you've got the readings working, the rest will be easy.

So basically, it depends on where you'd like the challenge to be and what your specific requirements are.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
https://mobile.twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status/1600761840367448064

Incredible

Hope u like little computers in your house made by a company that literally hires law enforcement that uses them to spy on you

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. Beyond tone deaf. The way they're doubling down and insulting people on Mastodon, too. This will definitely go well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah their reaction to this is pretty insane. Hiring a cop with a background in surveillance was never going to go well, and their scheme to deal with it was to go rage mode on twitter? Enjoy the entire internet turning on you, raspberry.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the current situation on mastodon is ... probably making someone regret setting up that instance

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You would think they'd know their audience better than this after being in business for so long.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I was originally thinking :"meh at least it gets him of the street, where he could harm someone".

But, lol at them doubling down in the dumbest way after even the mildest call-out.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Hopefully this gets people to start using other Arm SBCs, and maybe they will start getting better software support.

It isn't like Raspberry Pi offers the best hardware, and the shortages have already shown that they support OEMs more than individual enthusiasts.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
so are there other good SBCs? not just because of this, also because my Pi 3 has once again dropped to 70KB/s I/O on an A1-rated SD card and has a load average of 0.97 despite the CPU being 95% idle. i'm on the same LAN as this pi and typing into shell has multi-second delays during apt upgrade's download process

(i do have an Odroid C2, which has so far been more reliable, but it also has some issues)

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
"Good" partly depends on what your use case is.

But there are a lot of good SBCs in terms of the hardware. And quite a few that offer emmc modules, sata, and m.2, if better storage options is high on your list.

The biggest problem I've run into with non-Raspberry boards is that software support it often poor. Like, the manufacture might bang out one outdated Armbian image, and there might be one person doing a NetBSD port.

But it is a viscious circle. No one uses the other boards because software support is poor, so they go with Raspberry. And then Raspberry can maintain great support because everyone is using it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

What about the beagle bone boards? Are they a suitable alternative?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Splode posted:

Haven't thought of those in a while. They were quite popular back in the day.

Looks like they are still making 32 bit arm boards. Went to see if openwrt could run on it, and the page has a note about out of date information, and that newer kernel have some sort of USB bug?

Again, hardware wise, it looks fine for a single core 32 cpu. But if everyone went to raspberry pi, no one is around to make sure the bugs get patched when Linux updates.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There was a goon that was posting about his experiences with a RISC-V board, I’m hoping for a whole viable ecosystem of those someday.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Splode posted:

Dug around the beaglebone site a bit more, and it does look like they have been making newer boards, and have been working on keeping updated Debian images going.

https://beagleboard.org/latest-images

So if your use case is simple enough, they might be worth looking into.

priznat posted:

There was a goon that was posting about his experiences with a RISC-V board, I’m hoping for a whole viable ecosystem of those someday.

I'm not holding my breathe. I like the idea behind it, but the money it takes to get a processor made is so high, and the fact that closed source parts can be added in, it might just end up like the Arm ecosystem. Where compilers and core documentation is available, but stuff like GPUs or networking requires binary blobs. Or investors only back chip designs for niche products.

Like how the company that currently holds the Mips IP decided to stop Mips designs for RISC-V, but mostly for doing AI on RISC-V.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Libre Computer SBCs seem pretty well-supported, and are also compatible enough with Pis to use a lightly-modified version of Raspbian / PiOS. The thing is they're all pretty much Pi 3 level hardware power.

I've said it before ITT but if you have a purpose for a Pi that wants to ditch the SD card, needs more power / more storage, and cares about reliable & well-supported software, don't buy some $100 super-Pi. Buy a $150 mini PC.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Anyone use a Radxi Zero? Is the Linux option solid at this point?

Edit: Or any other pi zero sized alternatives with similar or better performance to a Pi Zero 2

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 9, 2022

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/chrisstokelwalker/raspberry-pi-hired-ex-cop-mastodon-controversy

quote:

Liz Upton, Raspberry Pi’s cofounder and chief marketing officer, told BuzzFeed she believes that much of the issue stems not from the hiring of the former police officer who admitted to using Raspberry Pis for covert surveillance, but instead from a picture the account posted to Mastodon a day earlier showing pigs in blankets. “We didn’t put a content warning on it, because we don’t put a content warning on meat,” Upton said. “There were quite a few people who tried to start dogpiling on that.”

quote:

“I think what we’re looking at is a dogpile that’s being organized somewhere,” Upton said. “There’s obviously a Discord or a forum somewhere.” She did not provide evidence to support that claim.

quote:

She also said as a Chinese woman she has long had bad experiences on the internet. “Your characteristics aren’t necessarily visible, but Toby is a former policeman. That is how he identifies. It’s what he is.” When asked if she was trying to equate being a police officer to being a Chinese woman, Upton replied, “No, no, no, no, absolutely not. But I am saying people will grab onto things to jump on.”

haha this sucks

edit: oh yeah and

quote:

Raspberry Pi’s Upton objected to the use of that term: “‘Private surveillance’ is a little bit of a dog-whistly way to talk about what [Roberts] has been doing.”
The bad faith is remarkable.

Manky fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 10, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well what do you expect from a british company I guess, of course they're fash.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
no fash photographs, please

I ordered a Pico W the day before this poo poo happened :negative:
Might just throw it in the bin when it arrives.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This sucks, I've been waiting to get a Pi 4 so I can have a linux device to tinker around with.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

sinky posted:

I ordered a Pico W the day before this poo poo happened :negative:
Might just throw it in the bin when it arrives.

While this is certainly a bad move for them from a PR standpoint, it does not make existing Pi hardware useless or bad. There's no need to performatively destroy any tiny computers over this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, you've already paid for it, the best thing to do is to get as much use out of it as possible.

Just don't give them any more money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What an absolutely boneheaded move considering the makeup of the whole hacker/maker community. The state of Liz Upton's completely disingenuous responses as well, jfc.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
i'd boycott them but i haven't seen a board at MicroCenter in literal years now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SamDabbers posted:

While this is certainly a bad move for them from a PR standpoint, it does not make existing Pi hardware useless or bad. There's no need to performatively destroy any tiny computers over this.

It's too late, I already bridged the 3.3 and 5v pins.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cojawfee posted:

It's too late, I already bridged the 3.3 and 5v pins.

Are you my coworker

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

What an absolutely boneheaded move considering the makeup of the whole hacker/maker community. The state of Liz Upton's completely disingenuous responses as well, jfc.

I recall she has made some incredibly tone deaf statements in the past as well but can’t remember what that was about anymore.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

I've said it before ITT but if you have a purpose for a Pi that wants to ditch the SD card, needs more power / more storage, and cares about reliable & well-supported software, don't buy some $100 super-Pi. Buy a $150 mini PC.

This, and you don't need $150 to beat a Pi handily. Wyse 5070 "thin clients" are going for around $60 on eBay and they have a J4105 with 2 DP1.2 outputs / J5005 with 3, two SODIMM slots, lots of USB ports, and an M.2 SATA slot. Works equally well as a light Proxmox host or an HTPC.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 12, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
electrician reset the whole place’s power, and my rpi3b now(?) only connects to ethernet sometimes. only fix is rebooting until it works. tried basic commands, bit none work. not that i’d want to type them all the time either

any idea what exactly is busted here?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

electrician reset the whole place’s power, and my rpi3b now(?) only connects to ethernet sometimes. only fix is rebooting until it works. tried basic commands, bit none work. not that i’d want to type them all the time either

any idea what exactly is busted here?

#1 troubleshooting step when a Pi is not working is to re-image the SD card, or even better pull the card and put a fresh image onto a different sd card.

especially from a power outage, because sd cards suck and are inherently vulnerable to being hosed up from that. if a fresh card works you can then play around with the old card and see if it is just temporarily hosed or permanently hosed.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
thanks. maybe i should just stop using the pi-hole at this point tbh. the lack of reliability is frustrating, and i don't think it's the first time an sd card is busted

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Run pi-hole as a vm/container on an old laptop or something. I have been for two years and I’ve never had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I just use NextDNS, it has similar functionality but hosted and free/cheap