Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cruft posted:

I'm in the Arduino thread too (as are many of us) and am happy to help you out there :)

There's an Arduino thread?

Fake Edit: What a terrible page snipe. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

There's an Arduino thread?

Fake Edit: What a terrible page snipe. :negative:

I think it's this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
for IoT stuff I'd recommend ESP32s since they have wifi built in (but this involves programming)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:hmmyes:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I preordered a Turing Pi 2, bought a 4gb Nvidia Jetson, and kinda forgot about the whole thing until I got a box from turingpi yesterday.

So, I have this thing now, and I guess I need to buy an m.2 drive for it, but I have absolutely no clear use case in mind. Can I.... run stablediffuison in boobernetes or something?

My original use case was to be a camera server with facial recognition and poo poo but I just don't care, my jank CCTV setup is good enough.

edit: I think I need to: install HDD, set up OS, install Jetson, get k8s to see Jetson as a GPU node

if that works I think I just helm deploy the stable diffusion chart to the cluster and hope for the best?

I'm going to end up with a wall of full power Jetsons rendering cats, aren't I.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2023

java
May 7, 2005

What are my best bets for trying to find a Pi 4? The markup on Amazon from resellers is pretty brutal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Newark takes preorders. I ordered a few weeks ago and the order says I might get it in May or June.

java
May 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Newark takes preorders. I ordered a few weeks ago and the order says I might get it in May or June.

Thank you!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Last time I went on Newark a couple days ago, they were saying May/June....2024.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got an OrangePi, but I haven't really.... even installed anything on it yet. But they are available.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I got a pi 4 set up with retropie and everything works great except my dualshock 4 over bluetooth. It connects and configures just fine but lags horrendously when playing. Long delay after inputs, missed inputs etc. No issues plugging in the same controller with USB. Anyone have this particular issue? Would a USB bluetooth dongle work better? Failing that, any recs for a good wireless gamepad?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Ristolaz posted:

I got a pi 4 set up with retropie and everything works great except my dualshock 4 over bluetooth. It connects and configures just fine but lags horrendously when playing. Long delay after inputs, missed inputs etc. No issues plugging in the same controller with USB. Anyone have this particular issue? Would a USB bluetooth dongle work better? Failing that, any recs for a good wireless gamepad?

Any of the controllers that use the direct usb dongles are indistinguishable from cabled controllers to the computer. I have an x-box controller, but I haven't tried it on any pis, the direct dongle is optional when ordering one though. I grabbed one specifically to avoid having to fiddle with compatibility issues of the bt mode.

The bt dongle might work, the rpi's built-in bt has a terrible reputation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ristolaz posted:

The signal strength of the internal bluetooth antenna kinda sucks. I had an xbox one controller act laggy like that from only 10ft away and it was 100% solved by switching to an xbox wireless dongle.

If you're using a metal case for the pi, switching to plastic could help. External bluetooth dongle would probably work better, yeah, but figuring out the drivers might be a nightmare.

e: for controller recs, I've been using xbox controllers. Apparently the 8bitdo ultimate has hall effect sticks with no drift. There is a "gulikit king kong" controller that has this feature but I've heard about build quality problems.

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The retropie docs say that disabling the wifi can help with BT controllers, as the wifi and BT share a single antenna. (and the Pi's antenna is janky PCB board style)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ristolaz posted:

I recommend just grabbing an 8bitdo 2 dongle and syncing your controller with that. The dongle let’s you swap between a bunch of input protocols so it’s great for basically every wireless controller use. I swap mine between a switch, iPad, MacBook, Windows PC, and steam deck all the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got some cheap PoE splitters with USB-C and it owns not having to have a wallwart for the pi (or have to bother with the hat as all the pis were already in small cases that wouldn't fit hats)

Only drawback is only 100Mbit but eh should be fine.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

mewse posted:

The signal strength of the internal bluetooth antenna kinda sucks. I had an xbox one controller act laggy like that from only 10ft away and it was 100% solved by switching to an xbox wireless dongle.

If you're using a metal case for the pi, switching to plastic could help. External bluetooth dongle would probably work better, yeah, but figuring out the drivers might be a nightmare.

e: for controller recs, I've been using xbox controllers. Apparently the 8bitdo ultimate has hall effect sticks with no drift. There is a "gulikit king kong" controller that has this feature but I've heard about build quality problems.

I do have a passive cooling case that is a giant chunk of metal. Ill try moving it very close to see if thats the issue but otherwise I think having a controller with a dedicated wireless dongle is ideal. Thanks all!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ristolaz posted:

I do have a passive cooling case that is a giant chunk of metal. Ill try moving it very close to see if thats the issue but otherwise I think having a controller with a dedicated wireless dongle is ideal. Thanks all!

If you use multiple controllers, the official Microsoft dongle supports at least 4 simultaneous connections. Which is helpful when USB ports are limited.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Mostly just playing some old snes classics myself but thats good to know!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TVs Ian posted:

If you use multiple controllers, the official Microsoft dongle supports at least 4 simultaneous connections. Which is helpful when USB ports are limited.
Also the headset port on newer controllers, which is really nice when you want to use headphones while playing games from a couch/bed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are there any non-Pi teensy computers that are compatible with HATs for Pi 4, by any chance? it's a tricky subject to google it seems

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

are there any non-Pi teensy computers that are compatible with HATs for Pi 4, by any chance? it's a tricky subject to google it seems

Most SBCs in the Pi-like formats are at least mostly compatible with the HAT header. There are sometimes variations, but if it has a 40 pin header there's a good chance at least the power, ground, SPI, and I2C pins are in the same places. Anything beyond that gets less certain.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.pine64.org/baseboard/

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=760

The pine64 is supposed to be somewhat compatible with rpi headers but caveat emptor

if you want a riscV board then you can try the vision V

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/visionfive-riscv-board

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, thanks both. I’m thinking about building a PiKVM but the HAT wants a 4. It’s not a mission-critical application, so I can see how the Pineboard works.

RISC-V is tempting but I’d have to bring up the bitbanging stuff from the existing software. Hmm hmm.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Do people have favorites of the pi alternative boards? Particularly ones with broad support? I bought a few orange pis and they seem to work great but getting things up and running was difficult, and the subreddit is just constantly people having issues that makes me not have a lot of faith in there being strong community support for it going forward.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My Odroid C2 has been very stable with Armbian when connected via ethernet. I just use it as a server, though, I'm not using its GPIO. But it's discontinued, and I don't think I'd pay $54 for the C4.

if I was going to do GPIO stuff I'd just use an ESP32 at this point

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

OK, thanks both. I’m thinking about building a PiKVM but the HAT wants a 4. It’s not a mission-critical application, so I can see how the Pineboard works.

RISC-V is tempting but I’d have to bring up the bitbanging stuff from the existing software. Hmm hmm.
PiKVM also depends on the CSI interface for the HDMI input and I think it uses some Broadcom hardware acceleration interface for video encoding as well, so it might be a lot more tightly tied to the Pi platform than most HATs. Not saying it's not possible to get it working on another device, as long as that device supports USB OTG, but I would not assume the PiKVM would work as well on other devices as something simple like a APA102 LED hat. If you decide to try it make sure you have all the interfaces you need and prepare for fuckery.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I've been building a laser tag system from scratch using PI's. Can I just rant for a sec about the status of IR Emitter software/hardware. LIRC seems to have been abandoned and there are some new versions out there like IR-CTL that quasi works with some emitters and some that don't. I tried a prebuilt Adafruit IR Emitter board and it requires pulsio.pwmout which doesn't work on pi. This is all ignoring the complexity that is actually encoding the signal and getting it focussed and accurate at a distance.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
That's soooo out of my league, but sounds super cool. I hope you get it working!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

eightysixed posted:

That's soooo out of my league, but sounds super cool. I hope you get it working!

I will say lots of this has been a steep learning curve for me, I had no idea it existed until like a week or two ago but Node-RED has been fantastic in helping me write code/talk to the hardware on the GPIO, lots of that ended up being way easier than I expected from my mostly Powershell history.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

So I've been building a laser tag system from scratch using PI's. Can I just rant for a sec about the status of IR Emitter software/hardware. LIRC seems to have been abandoned and there are some new versions out there like IR-CTL that quasi works with some emitters and some that don't. I tried a prebuilt Adafruit IR Emitter board and it requires pulsio.pwmout which doesn't work on pi. This is all ignoring the complexity that is actually encoding the signal and getting it focussed and accurate at a distance.

I hope you post about this somewhere in HCH. I've got this stupid bagpipe project I'm running a whole thread about. Yours sounds like it might actually work.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

cruft posted:

I hope you post about this somewhere in HCH. I've got this stupid bagpipe project I'm running a whole thread about. Yours sounds like it might actually work.

HCH?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Human growth hormone I think

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I was also confused. What’s HCH?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

eightysixed posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

eightysixed posted:

Hope (Your) Cat Helps

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I had no idea this existed. Could be fun :toot:

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Is any old WiFi dongle going to be compatible with the pi 400? I’m pretty displeased with the built-in receiver; I’ve updated the firmware and tried substituting the drivers as recommended in some c. 2021 posts on the pi forums.
For instance, will the archer t3u plus be compatible with raspbian or Ubuntu out of the box? Will any old dongle be an improvement over the onboard chip? TIA

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

take_it_slow posted:

Is any old WiFi dongle going to be compatible with the pi 400? I’m pretty displeased with the built-in receiver; I’ve updated the firmware and tried substituting the drivers as recommended in some c. 2021 posts on the pi forums.
For instance, will the archer t3u plus be compatible with raspbian or Ubuntu out of the box?

Not all wifi adapters are equal on linux.

The guy that maintains that git doc doesn't like tp-link because they change chips on models. But assuming that they still use the RTL88x2bu that most internet posts say they do, that driver is in-kernel on 6.2+. Raspberry OS only has 6.1 available, so you'd need to be on ubuntu with the latest kernel for that to work plug-and-play.

So you probably want to buy one of the ones that use mediatek from that list of good adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cojawfee posted:

I have a Dell thinclient for an extra linux computer and it's a lot easier to deal with than an RPi, since it's is x86 it can run anything. If you don't need GPIO, an actual computer is usually going to be better than a pi.

Yeah, normally I like to try any new pi as a desktop to see how it does for its (intended?) use as a learning environment for about a week before doing whatever with it, but this time it stuck. I was really looking forward to seeing how the rpi4 handled video and web browsing! Oh well. The low-heat interest was originally last summer mid-heat wave, the novelty wasn't as appreciable in the winter.

Speaking of, I just decommissioned my rpi2 and need to confirm that the stability was sd card wear and not the rpi2 causing issues. I'm hoping that's the case because the rpi1 is chugging after the last pi-hole update. They've changed how lists parse for updates and it really drags on the 1B+. As a secondary dns, that's not a major concern, but it'd be nice to keep the performance of the 2.