Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The improved AIY Voice Kit will go on sale later this month if you missed out on the initial run. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/aiy-projects-kit-pre-order/

Microcenter has a pre-order deal where the kit is free if you buy a Raspberry Pi 3, otherwise it's $25 in the States. It's £25 in the UK as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

eddiewalker posted:

Just keep digging on the Adafruit site. They've got great tutorials starting from simple blinking lights up to more complex projects.

Once you understand the groundwork, it's very easy to copy and paste bits of code like Legos. I have no real coding knowledge and I get by.

I'm not too worried about the coding part, it's the complete lack of electronics background that's bothering me.

I've been going through some of the tutorials on adafruit and they seem to assume basic knowledge on working with an Arduino I still lack. So I started with the getting started guides on arduino.cc and I'm wondering if I didn't fry mine already.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Nybble posted:

The improved AIY Voice Kit will go on sale later this month if you missed out on the initial run. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/aiy-projects-kit-pre-order/

Microcenter has a pre-order deal where the kit is free if you buy a Raspberry Pi 3, otherwise it's $25 in the States. It's £25 in the UK as well.

The Microcenter deal is in-store only, so unless you've got one nearby, you're out of luck.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Once you understand the groundwork, it's very easy to copy and paste bits of code like Legos. I have no real coding knowledge and I get by.

I've been astounded by how many silicon valley empires that have been built on this level of technical expertise in my two years here

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

[quote="“Hadlock”" post="“477009357”"]
I’ve been astounded by how many silicon valley empires that have been built on this level of technical expertise in my two years here
[/quote]

You don't need to code, just translate the developer speak to average joe speak and then profit!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's a living.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Everything should be here tonight. I have one real quick question. I got a 32gb micro sd card. Will that be enough to start? My daughter wants to be able to watch Netflix and play Minecraft on it. I would like to put Retropie on it. Think it would be fun to play games I grew up on with her. Also looking at doing the Santa Alert project too.

Side question, what is a good controller (wireless/bluetooth preferred) for NES/SNES games?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I got a PS4 controller works fine.
Minecraft on pi is limited, Netflix is ehh.
Retropi is fun and cool though.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

tater_salad posted:

I got a PS4 controller works fine.
Minecraft on pi is limited, Netflix is ehh.
Retropi is fun and cook though

Do you mean limited in that it only runs old versions of it? If that is the case not worried. Or is the FPS bad?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Fixit posted:

Side question, what is a good controller (wireless/bluetooth preferred) for NES/SNES games?

I have a USB SNES controller, but this thing is a ton better.

POWER A MOGA Hero Power - Electronic Games https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB5R9OY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0L70zbFERJFNZ

I bought it originally for travel, but use at home too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fixit posted:

Do you mean limited in that it only runs old versions of it? If that is the case not worried. Or is the FPS bad?

Minecraft for Pi is a special version distinct from the others. It's based on one of the alpha releases of the mobile version from back in 2013, slightly simplified, and it's been abandoned.

Netflix is technically possible but not really useful. You can use the Widevine DRM module, but it requires software decoding of video so higher bitrates are not playable. Apparently 720p mostly works but sometimes hitches, 1080p does not work at all.

If you want Minecraft and Netflix on a TV basically every other option is a better choice than a Pi.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You don't need to code, just translate the developer speak to average joe speak and then profit!

I'm a people person.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

Minecraft for Pi is a special version distinct from the others. It's based on one of the alpha releases of the mobile version from back in 2013, slightly simplified, and it's been abandoned.

Netflix is technically possible but not really useful. You can use the Widevine DRM module, but it requires software decoding of video so higher bitrates are not playable. Apparently 720p mostly works but sometimes hitches, 1080p does not work at all.

If you want Minecraft and Netflix on a TV basically every other option is a better choice than a Pi.

Yeah basically if you want MC and Netflix, get a Kindle tablet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm really late to the discussion, but there are explicit projects aimed at getting kids to code if that's the ultimate goal. The two I'm familiar with are Jewelbots, programmable friendship bracelets for young girls and Primo Toys Cubetto, meant for younger kids but still getting into structured thinking.

I don't have children, but perhaps the folks asking for that kind of product might find those links useful?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
This is sounding more and more like you should just buy your daughter a used netbook

I get that it doesn't have the "cool" factor (in your mind), but you have a real chance of frustrating her interest away entirely

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tater_salad posted:

Yeah basically if you want MC and Netflix, get a Kindle tablet.

And if you want it on a TV, picking up a used Xbox One or PS4 can be a pretty cheap way to go. They both run full Minecraft versions, support full Netflix resolution, and the Xbox One now has a version of Minecraft that can play directly with people playing Minecraft on Windows 10, iOS and Android tablets/phones, and soon the Nintendo Switch. PS4's version will get that in afew months but there's still some issues to hash out there, it's the same capabilities though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fishmech posted:

And if you want it on a TV, picking up a used Xbox One or PS4 can be a pretty cheap way to go. They both run full Minecraft versions, support full Netflix resolution, and the Xbox One now has a version of Minecraft that can play directly with people playing Minecraft on Windows 10, iOS and Android tablets/phones, and soon the Nintendo Switch. PS4's version will get that in afew months but there's still some issues to hash out there, it's the same capabilities though.

What's a "Full minecraft version" nowadays anyway? I thought that the Java version was still the only one with private servers, and you can sure run original Minecraft on a hacked chromebook.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The latest version is "everyone plays together" I assume it's thr one from the win 10 store will play on phones Xbox, and computer, I haven't looked into it at this point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twerk from Home posted:

What's a "Full minecraft version" nowadays anyway? I thought that the Java version was still the only one with private servers, and you can sure run original Minecraft on a hacked chromebook.

The mobile version and console versions used to be significantly behind in features, blocks available, etc. Now they're at feature-parity with the Java desktop version, besides the ability to just dump random Java mods into the game.

Console and mobile versions have also always supported running your own server although obviously you needed to do it on the device you were playing on, which wasn't so practical for the phone/tablet but just fine on consoles.

You can get a decent overview here, one of the things is to make it way easier for persistent third party Minecraft servers to be used with the new unified edition: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/11/microsoft-unifies-minecraft-with-third-party-servers-and-cross-platform-saves/ The actual updates to the game versions have come out over late August and September.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ante posted:

This is sounding more and more like you should just buy your daughter a used netbook

I get that it doesn't have the "cool" factor (in your mind), but you have a real chance of frustrating her interest away entirely

A used Thinkpad T410 in running condition is literally <$100 on eBay. Figure on a new keyboard ($20) and maybe adding a SSD.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
I guess I am not doing a good job explaining. I'm not looking for the BEST minecraft experience or Netflix experience from the Pi. What I'm planning is for her to have her own computer and one that she has to learn to use. Yes we will do some coding projects, and yes they may not be perfect or the most optimal. But that isn't the point. My hope is for her to see what a computer can do and the backbone of software. The Pi may not be the best/optimal choice, but its the one I chose. I really enjoyed the Santa Detection project and looking for more things like that to do. Or even just software to put on the Pi that she can enjoy (like Minecraft and Netflix).

I don't plan on forcing this on her, but she is already showing excitement. We went to the lego store to pick out pieces to build a "rainbow" case for her computer. We have a reward system for her to earn time on it and she is already mapping out good behavior so she can use it.

If she starts to get bored or frustrated we can move on to something else. The last thing I want to do is discourage her from using/learning/understanding computers and electronics.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You're doing a fine job of explaining it, we're just telling you that it's not really a great solution for any of your use-cases.

My assumption is that you think it's cool, so you're trying to shoe horn it where it doesn't belong.

Fixit posted:

I don't plan on forcing this on her, but she is already showing excitement. We went to the lego store to pick out pieces to build a "rainbow" case for her computer. We have a reward system for her to earn time on it and she is already mapping out good behavior so she can use it.

If she starts to get bored or frustrated we can move on to something else. The last thing I want to do is discourage her from using/learning/understanding computers and electronics.

This part is what you weren't telling us. Carry on, then :)

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

ante posted:

You're doing a fine job of explaining it, we're just telling you that it's not really a great solution for any of your use-cases.

My assumption is that you think it's cool, so you're trying to shoe horn it where it doesn't belong.

This part is what you weren't telling us. Carry on, then :)

Ah. Well yes I think it is cool. I initially looked at the Pi when the NES classic came out as a substitute but couldn't justify it. I don't mind her using my computer but felt her having something she can call her own would be more special. I'm not the smartest software guy out there, I am more interested in hardware. So projects and fun things to do with her on the Pi is what I was hoping to get some tips on.

I really do appreciate the feedback. The Pi is just something within a budget I don't feel bad about, as well as space.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fixit posted:

Please be wary of this. Linux-as-a-first-OS has a steep enough learning curve as it is, but the Pi really does throw a whole bunch of additional reliability/compatibility wrenches into the whole works. The first time she wants to play with an emulator and the x86 binaries don't run, you're going to run into "why does this suck".

She can absolutely still have "her own" x86 system running all the same software and stuff. Pulling and reflashing an SD card is no different from pulling and reflashing an SSD on a USB 3.0 dock, or whatever other stuff you can do with a Pi.

Embedded stuff is definitely something the Pi does better but a basic PC is cheap enough that it doesn't really have to be either/or. An HDMI switch is only like $10 or something on Amazon ;)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 4, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

what would be a good place to start reading on how to get an (ancient) arduino (mega 1280) working?

I ordered one 7-8 years ago and never used it. I tried to hook it up to my laptop this but I can't push any stuff to it. Getting some error messages that are occuring often according to google but the solutions for other folks don't seem to do the trick for me.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LochNessMonster posted:

what would be a good place to start reading on how to get an (ancient) arduino (mega 1280) working?

I ordered one 7-8 years ago and never used it. I tried to hook it up to my laptop this but I can't push any stuff to it. Getting some error messages that are occuring often according to google but the solutions for other folks don't seem to do the trick for me.
cool error messages bro

also there's an arduino thread, since microcontrollers are pretty different from pi-likes.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

peepsalot posted:

cool error messages bro

also there's an arduino thread, since microcontrollers are pretty different from pi-likes.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424

I was looking for an Arduino thread but couldn't find. I see it's in a different subforum, thanks!

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Successfully installed Rasbian with daughter onto the Pi. She was very excited, but confused. She quite literally jumped up when she saw Rasbian had Minecraft on it. While she was playing the keyboard lost power and she could only dig down...and kill herself lol. Showed her scratch and she saw the cat on the screen and made the connection between our new kittens and the computer cat. Told her she will get to tell the computer cat what to do. She seems excited. She was a little down that our Lego case didn't work (it wouldn't let the HDMI and power be plugged in).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

On the topic of RetroPie, Playing Final Fight and Bubble Bobble with my daughter, then switching to PBS Kids on Kodi so my she can watch Cat in the Hat, is something that is never going to get old.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Fixit posted:

Successfully installed Rasbian with daughter onto the Pi. She was very excited, but confused. She quite literally jumped up when she saw Rasbian had Minecraft on it. While she was playing the keyboard lost power and she could only dig down...and kill herself lol. Showed her scratch and she saw the cat on the screen and made the connection between our new kittens and the computer cat. Told her she will get to tell the computer cat what to do. She seems excited. She was a little down that our Lego case didn't work (it wouldn't let the HDMI and power be plugged in).

if the keyboard died, you may need a better powered hub. It's a worthwhile addition.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

JawnV6 posted:

I'm really late to the discussion, but there are explicit projects aimed at getting kids to code if that's the ultimate goal. The two I'm familiar with are Jewelbots, programmable friendship bracelets for young girls and Primo Toys Cubetto, meant for younger kids but still getting into structured thinking.

I don't have children, but perhaps the folks asking for that kind of product might find those links useful?

I like Kano

It has pi support too if that matters

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but the OP is ancient and I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see anything.

My birthday is coming up and I want a Pi to play with specifically from like an IoT perspective. I'd like to do some basic stuff like log the temperature or like maybe detect when my cat goes somewhere he's not supposed to. I think it'd be fun way to hone my non-statistical programming skills. My parents asked me what I wanted but there are like a gazillion kits and packages and bundles and I have no idea how to pick one. Any advice on like a good kit that I can send them a link to and say, "Buy me this one. It has everything I need to start."?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rosalind posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but the OP is ancient and I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see anything.

My birthday is coming up and I want a Pi to play with specifically from like an IoT perspective. I'd like to do some basic stuff like log the temperature or like maybe detect when my cat goes somewhere he's not supposed to. I think it'd be fun way to hone my non-statistical programming skills. My parents asked me what I wanted but there are like a gazillion kits and packages and bundles and I have no idea how to pick one. Any advice on like a good kit that I can send them a link to and say, "Buy me this one. It has everything I need to start."?

Picking up a SenseHat would probably be a good start, it has a temp sensor, tilt sensor, pressure sensor, and a neat little 8x8 led grid. Good way to get your feet wet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
An Arduino and one of these big sensor kits might be a good option too.

https://www.ebay.com/i/391774415030

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Pis for several years now and only just discovered it has a hardware watchdog that can reboot it if it hangs, which I have experienced a handful of times after more than a few months of uptime. Some relevant links:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1401/how-do-i-hard-reset-a-raspberry-pi

http://pi.gadgetoid.com/article/who-watches-the-watcher

http://binerry.de/post/28263824530/raspberry-pi-watchdog-timer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On the Pi, is there a way to control whether a USB port is powered or not? I'd like to use one to turn on/off a device that is just powered by USB. Maybe an Arduino would be better, but I think it'll be easier to do the zwave stuff from a Pi.

E: I can find ways to turn off the bus power for all of the USB, but that would take out the network and zwave dongle, so that's not great. Maybe I need to get a second USB hub on there.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2017

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Subjunctive posted:

On the Pi, is there a way to control whether a USB port is powered or not? I'd like to use one to turn on/off a device that is just powered by USB. Maybe an Arduino would be better, but I think it'll be easier to do the zwave stuff from a Pi.

E: I can find ways to turn off the bus power for all of the USB, but that would take out the network and zwave dongle, so that's not great. Maybe I need to get a second USB hub on there.

Why not just switch 5V power with a relay?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Space Gopher posted:

The device in question is set up for USB, and I was hoping to avoid snipping wires. Perhaps I misunderstand what you’re suggesting!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

The device in question is set up for USB, and I was hoping to avoid snipping wires. Perhaps I misunderstand what you’re suggesting!

Show us the circuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Space Gopher posted:

This is the solution I would suggest, because you can't shut off USB ports.

This is also a terrible way of suggesting it!

"Hey, is there an easy software way to do this?"

"That's dumb! Have you considered instead <complicated hardware method that involves more code, cutting cables, and actually purchasing more gear>?"

I think that is the only way though. I bought a cheap USB relay and a USB power isolator and hacked them together. I now have a USB controlled USB power switch to develop my USB microcontrollers. It's janky as gently caress

ante fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 12, 2017