Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

spiny posted:

if you're current hotspot uses a SIM then, yes, plenty of routers that support connnecting using a 3/4G network.

I've used some of these to give customers emergency internet when their main service is down:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/list-4691.html

These guys seem to require that I remove the SIM card from my phone and insert it into the router. Inconvenience aside, it's not really practical for me to have my calling / text connectivity disabled while sharing internet.

What I'm looking for is a router that I can attach my phone to via USB instead. This one has a USB port for a USB Modem - could that port be running to an Android device instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Newf posted:

These guys seem to require that I remove the SIM card from my phone and insert it into the router. Inconvenience aside, it's not really practical for me to have my calling / text connectivity disabled while sharing internet.

What I'm looking for is a router that I can attach my phone to via USB instead. This one has a USB port for a USB Modem - could that port be running to an Android device instead?

Those generally have a list of models that they work with. Probably won't work with a phone.

Here's the list for that router. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/3g-comp-list.html?model=TL-MR3020&hdVer=V3.20

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just don’t expect stuff on a device this barebones to automatically set itself to run on startup.

Is it really correct to call something that runs full-on Linux with networking, a GUI, sound, and full mouse and keyboard support "barebones"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ironically, it's the most barebones systems that do run most reliably on startup.

your desktop computer needs an extended sequence of bootstrapping operations to get to a usable state, but a 50-cent microcontroller only has to be given power and it'll instantly start running its program.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Thats...not the way computers work.

Sometimes you need to add stuff to startup, what do you mean that's not how stuff works? Especially with Linux, which requires you to get into the guts of stuff more even if you've got a GUI. In hindsight it makes sense that it is set to run on startup since it's something you would always want running, and the setup wizard is pretty thorough and simple.

I guess it really isn't barebones, more minimalist, presumably because it has to be when it's got less hardware power than the majority of smartphones for the past 4 years (pulling this number out of my rear end, not going to look back and see when phones went over 1gb RAM and 1.4ghz quad-core processors). And yes, I know, newer processors are faster than older processors with the same frequency and cores, no need to get pedantic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sometimes you need to add stuff to startup, what do you mean that's not how stuff works?

I mean, if a computer is barebones or not has no bearing on whether or not it can reliably do tasks on startup.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't want to wade into this slapfight but if you install a daemon in debian, the package will generally provide the init scripts to run the daemon on boot, it doesn't have anything to do with how barebones the hardware is - and the pi isn't really barebones, it's a full linux system not some microcontroller

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess it really isn't barebones, more minimalist, presumably because it has to be when it's got less hardware power than the majority of smartphones for the past 4 years (pulling this number out of my rear end, not going to look back and see when phones went over 1gb RAM and 1.4ghz quad-core processors). And yes, I know, newer processors are faster than older processors with the same frequency and cores, no need to get pedantic.

There are a lot of people ITT for whom a "barebones" embedded computer means something in a DIP package with less than a meg of program space and a few kilobytes of RAM. It might not even have a frequency crystal.

A Raspberry Pi is a full Linux system in every way -- in fact in some ways it's more elaborate than a commercial linux server, which usually doesn't have graphics or sound functionality. It doesn't come with a monitor or keyboard but neither did your desktop tower, probably, and it has more I/O connectors than a modern MacBook.

the only way it's minimalist is that it's physically small :razzy:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 7, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

ironically, it's the most barebones systems that do run most reliably on startup.

your desktop computer needs an extended sequence of bootstrapping operations to get to a usable state, but a 50-cent microcontroller only has to be given power and it'll instantly start running its program.
Don't raspberry pis need a huge binary blob to boot into linux?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fair enough, I guess I wasn’t giving it enough credit due to the low power and how much you have to put together in order to get it started. But OTOH, my Linux experience is limited to a bit of VM work and using lab machines that were set up by other people. It’s probably pretty standard.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Newf posted:

I've had a fair bit of experience with tp-link's 3G/4G routers (including the one you linked) and as others have said - the router expects only certain devices in that USB port, specifically it expects a 3G/4G USB modem (using a chipset that it has a driver for), and an android phone doesn't quite work the same (though it would infact be technically easy for the router to use it if the manufacturer had thought to offer the functionality - because an android phone just appears as a USB network card when you tether it, a USB modem actually requires the router do a lot more work).

One option for using a router, is to flash a 3rd party firmware onto it (like gargoyle) and set it up as a wireless client/repeater - that way the router connects to phone via wifi, and other devices connect to it via wifi. I actually set up an atheros based tp-link MR3020 this way for my father in law because he had a laptop that just refused to connect to his routers wifi (seemed to be some weird wifi incompatibility issue - it'd connect to anything else, and could connect to his own router using a USB wifi dongle, but not with inbuilt wifi), I should note a few things though:
  • It looks like newer MR3020's use a different non-atheros chipset that you can't put 3rd party firmwares onto.
  • If you do this with another router you have to set the router up not just to be a simple repeater (where phone does routing) but as a full router that connects to it's uplink over wifi. The reason is because when you have multiple devices connected to the same phone over wifi, I don't think they are able to see each other (just phones internet connection).
  • Using USB instead of WiFi between router and phone is probably possible with a router running a third party firmware, but definitely not with gargoyle on any version of the MR3020. The problem is that it only has 4mb of flash which leaves barely enough for the firmware (and there's not enough for the optional USB drivers which take up a fair chunk of space themselves). This also goes for other TP-Link 3G/4G routers (eg: mr3040 and mr3420) as they all seem to have 4mb flash.

A better option I think would be to use the rpi as the router itself, it should be dead easy to tether a rpi running raspbian to your phone via USB - it should just work actually (and you should test this before taking this idea further), if it does I can post more details about setting rpi up to do this.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

Fuzz1111 posted:

A better option I think would be to use the rpi as the router itself, it should be dead easy to tether a rpi running raspbian to your phone via USB - it should just work actually (and you should test this before taking this idea further), if it does I can post more details about setting rpi up to do this.

Posting now from the USB-tethered PI, which 'just worked'. A step in the right direction.

You're suggesting from here that I use the PI as a hotspot for my other devices?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Did Microsoft ever release a Windows version for this? Out of curiosity.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
yeah, there was a weird "windows 10" that wasn't actually and was maybe just a sensor platform extension that tied into actual windows 10 when they released it?

I dunno, I know someone who tried it out at the time and said he liked it for sensor stuff, but other than that i'm completely unqualified to answer that

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Guillermus posted:

Did Microsoft ever release a Windows version for this? Out of curiosity.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Downloads

It's not a standard Windows 10 build though. There's no desktop, and iirc no CLI either. You build an IoT application and deploy to the Pi, and it runs. It's meant for a single-purpose device, rather than a general purpose computer.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

beuges posted:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Downloads

It's not a standard Windows 10 build though. There's no desktop, and iirc no CLI either. You build an IoT application and deploy to the Pi, and it runs. It's meant for a single-purpose device, rather than a general purpose computer.

Thanks! I was looking forward more to a "Windows lite" with a browser and not much else in case my wife wants to do something with the raspberry but I guess it'll be better to just teach her kodi.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Newf posted:

Posting now from the USB-tethered PI, which 'just worked'. A step in the right direction.

You're suggesting from here that I use the PI as a hotspot for my other devices?
Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting (using rpi's internal wifi for the Access Point). Sorry for delay I had trouble finding the script I wrote ages ago to do something like this. Here are steps to set pi up as wireless router:
  1. Uncomment/add/modify following line in /etc/sysctl.conf:
    code:
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
  2. Install hostapd and dnsmasq:
    code:
    sudo apt-get hostapd dnsmasq
  3. Reboot pi.

4. Download and extract the script and AP config:
    code:
    wget http://fuzz.website/pirouter.tar.gz
    tar xvf pirouter.tar.gz
  5. Plug in phone, tether, make sure pi has connected, and then run script:
    code:
    cd pirouter
    ./pirouter.sh

Hopefully you should see a new wifi access point called "HELLOHELLO", the password is "passwordhere" (to change these edit hostapd.conf file which came with script). Connecting to it should give you an IP in the 10.42.0.x range, and you should have internet access via the tethered phone. Actually the way I've written the script, the pi will use any available connection as uplink, so it will work just fine for someone wanting to use rpi's ethernet as uplink (infact if your pi has ethernet connection as well as tethered one, it will likely prefer using ethernet instead of tethered phone as uplink - let me know if this is a problem for you).

I should note that the script stops networking service so if uplink connection is not made before running script (or dies after) this will cause problems - there's some lines commented out in the pirouter.sh script that might help for that.

Let me know how you go.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I’m thinking about the possibility of using a replacement LCD screen intended for a mobile phone as a screen for a Pi, because of how ubiquitous they are and how the price-to-capabilities seems to be in a good spot.

However, none of the listings on AliExpress have any technical info like datasheets or even a model number for the LCD, though. Not to mention what the connectors are or what the protocol is or the pinout is, etc...

Are there any resources online that might have this info? These can’t all be original replacement parts so someone somewhere should know how they actually work.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Some older iPhone and iPad screens have been reverse engineered and have driver boards available.

Other than that, it's really not trivial, so there isn't enough time/motivation/leaked internal documents out there to focus on any other of the dozens phone's custom screen that gets released every year

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought a magedok screen recently and love it. But if you dig around on reviews, basically all that company does is take unused stock from old laptop/tablet designs and slap them into a case. In some cases you can peel stickers and see a Sony logo underneath.

But the picture is good!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I picked up one of these screens for my pi-on-the-go kit. It works perfectly once you make the change noted in one of the reviews to set up the proper HDMI mode.

I paired it with this stand, and use this splitter cable so I can power the Pi and the screen with a single wall wart.

Edit: I don't use it as a touch screen, so I can't speak to that capability. It's a lovely little display though, and cheap.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 12, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought the official screen and a plastic stand that holds it for my 3B+ or whatever it is. I bought it to eventually replace my 2B setup but never got around to finishing up its set up. I guess I'll have to do that soon because my 2B setup keeps goofing up. minidlna keeps dying, deluge keeps failing and giving me python errors, vim just says "segmentation fault" when I try to open it and webmin died a while ago. I took the SD card out and ran a disk check on my computer and it found and fixed some things but things are still freaking out. I guess my SD card is dying. Is there some kind of program that can show the health of an SD card?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Cojawfee posted:

I bought the official screen and a plastic stand that holds it for my 3B+ or whatever it is. I bought it to eventually replace my 2B setup but never got around to finishing up its set up. I guess I'll have to do that soon because my 2B setup keeps goofing up. minidlna keeps dying, deluge keeps failing and giving me python errors, vim just says "segmentation fault" when I try to open it and webmin died a while ago. I took the SD card out and ran a disk check on my computer and it found and fixed some things but things are still freaking out. I guess my SD card is dying. Is there some kind of program that can show the health of an SD card?

Repeating segfaults are nearly always indicative of memory errors. A "segmentation fault" is when a process tries to read/write/page to a location in memory and finds that it cannot.

Check dmesg (the kernel message ring buffer) and see if anything untoward crops up there. Maybe try
code:
dmesg | grep -i ecc
Pi's don't have ECC ram, but what this would turn up is single or multi-bit error correction failure messages from the kernel.

If that doesn't show anything, give
code:
dmesg | grep -i err
a shot. That should show anything with "err" or "error" as part of its message.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 12, 2018

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Don't even bother trying to repair a Pi, not worth it.

Backup and reflash. Might be worth just using to same card, or buy another one if it does it again.

SD cards are kinda garbage, so just go forward with the assumption that you'll get corruption if you do a lot of writes, and then you'll never be disappointed

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, one thing I'm happy I learned about owning a Pi is to not get too attached to what's on the SD card, and make backups if I do. I think it's a good habit to have in this age, anyway.

"Segmentation Fault" basically means "welp, time to re-image / get a new card!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I ordered a new SD card and I guess I'll work on setting up my 3B this weekend.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

Fuzz1111 posted:

Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting (using rpi's internal wifi for the Access Point). Sorry for delay I had trouble finding the script I wrote ages ago to do something like this. Here are steps to set pi up as wireless router:
  1. Uncomment/add/modify following line in /etc/sysctl.conf:
    code:
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
  2. Install hostapd and dnsmasq:
    code:
    sudo apt-get hostapd dnsmasq
  3. Reboot pi.

4. Download and extract the script and AP config:
    code:
    wget [url]http://fuzz.website/pirouter.tar.gz[/url]
    tar xvf pirouter.tar.gz
  5. Plug in phone, tether, make sure pi has connected, and then run script:
    code:
    cd pirouter
    ./pirouter.sh

Hopefully you should see a new wifi access point called "HELLOHELLO", the password is "passwordhere" (to change these edit hostapd.conf file which came with script). Connecting to it should give you an IP in the 10.42.0.x range, and you should have internet access via the tethered phone. Actually the way I've written the script, the pi will use any available connection as uplink, so it will work just fine for someone wanting to use rpi's ethernet as uplink (infact if your pi has ethernet connection as well as tethered one, it will likely prefer using ethernet instead of tethered phone as uplink - let me know if this is a problem for you).

I should note that the script stops networking service so if uplink connection is not made before running script (or dies after) this will cause problems - there's some lines commented out in the pirouter.sh script that might help for that.

Let me know how you go.

Hey, thanks for this. I'm making progress, but haven't achieved the ultimate goal yet. Your script works (broadcasts a network, shares the internet connection) when pihole is not running, but only works partially when pihole is running (broadcasts a network, but connected devices aren't getting an internet connection through it - "No Internet, secured").

This is the output from your script when it's run while pihole is enabled:

code:
dnsmasq: no process found
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Configuration file: hostapd.conf
Failed to create interface mon.wlan0: -95 (Operation not supported)
wlan0: Could not connect to kernel driver
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr b8:27:eb:26:85:a1 and ssid "HELLOHELLO"
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->ENABLED
wlan0: AP-ENABLED 

dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for 10.42.0.1: Address already in use
It's unclear to me whether the failure in the last line is a leftover from a previous run of the script, or due to interference from pihole. Still poking at it myself, but figured I would share my progress so far in case more knowledgeable eyes can save me some time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ante posted:

yeah, there was a weird "windows 10" that wasn't actually and was maybe just a sensor platform extension that tied into actual windows 10 when they released it?

I dunno, I know someone who tried it out at the time and said he liked it for sensor stuff, but other than that i'm completely unqualified to answer that

There was a version specifically designed for Internet of Things app development. Don't expect to run, like, Internet Explorer as an end user or anything.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Newf posted:

It's unclear to me whether the failure in the last line is a leftover from a previous run of the script, or due to interference from pihole. Still poking at it myself, but figured I would share my progress so far in case more knowledgeable eyes can save me some time.

From the error it sounds like something else, probably the pihole software, is already listening on that address. You could do sudo netstat -lnp to see who else has listening sockets open. If it is the pihole software you'll need to find some way to get them not to conflict. I'm not really familiar with how it works to tell if there's an easy way to do that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Pihole is really just a package that uses a bunch of other services. Dnsmasq and lighttp for the most part. By default these should be ports 53 and 80.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Set up a PiHole with PiVPN; works great, but while I was experimenting I just used wifi and now that everything's working and I shouldn't be loving up and needing to reflash every five minutes I want to take it into the other room and plug it into the router. I know during the OpenVPN setup it asked me which interface to listen on, wlan0 or eth0, and at that point I picked wlan0. Where does that setting live to change it to eth0 once I plug it in (or do I even need to) -- I don't see it in /etc/openvpn/server.conf? Googling variations on "OpenVPN interface" isn't getting me anywhere close.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Oh that's right you're wanting to use pi-hole. Yeah my script uses dnsmasq for both dhcp and dns, while pi-hole just uses it for dns but can optionally enable dhcp too.

Easiest way to fix this is to let pi-hole do both - comment out the lines in my script that have anything to do with dnsmasq (so the line that stops service, the line that kills process, and the line that starts it). Then enable the dhcp server in pi-hole's gui with following settings (has to be these ip's so my script will do actual routing bits successfully):

Hopefully that works, but let me know if it doesn't and I'll go over doing this the other way (disabling only dns part of my script, but not dhcp).

[edit]
I recommend trying above first, but after looking at dnsmasq's options - it's actually kind of simple to do it the other way too: instead of commenting whole dnsmasq command line out just add "-port 0" to the end of it (apparently that's all that's needed to prevent it starting a dns server). You'll still have to remove the lines that stop the dnsmasq service and kill it because those will interfere with pi-hole's instance of dnsmasq - unfortunately this means my script can't be executed multiple times without cleaning up the instance of dnsmasq it leaves behind manually first (you'll have to use kill -9 and ensure you are killing the instance started by my script, not the instance started by pi-hole).

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 15, 2018

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
I am having an issue with the version of Chromium on Raspbian Stretch and was wondering if someone had an idea to work around it. The main thing I am trying to do is run Puppeteer to do some automation and unfortunately, the Chromium binary that comes with it does not work. I am able to point Puppeteer to the version that ships with Raspbian, but its fairly out of date and I am running into issues with Puppeteer not working with it. Does anyone know of repositories that might have more up to date packages? Should I maybe just try a different distro?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

Fuzz1111 posted:

Oh that's right you're wanting to use pi-hole. Yeah my script uses dnsmasq for both dhcp and dns, while pi-hole just uses it for dns but can optionally enable dhcp too.

Easiest way to fix this is to let pi-hole do both - comment out the lines in my script that have anything to do with dnsmasq (so the line that stops service, the line that kills process, and the line that starts it). Then enable the dhcp server in pi-hole's gui with following settings (has to be these ip's so my script will do actual routing bits successfully):

Hopefully that works, but let me know if it doesn't and I'll go over doing this the other way (disabling only dns part of my script, but not dhcp).

[edit]
I recommend trying above first, but after looking at dnsmasq's options - it's actually kind of simple to do it the other way too: instead of commenting whole dnsmasq command line out just add "-port 0" to the end of it (apparently that's all that's needed to prevent it starting a dns server). You'll still have to remove the lines that stop the dnsmasq service and kill it because those will interfere with pi-hole's instance of dnsmasq - unfortunately this means my script can't be executed multiple times without cleaning up the instance of dnsmasq it leaves behind manually first (you'll have to use kill -9 and ensure you are killing the instance started by my script, not the instance started by pi-hole).

I won't have a chance to try this until the weekend, but thanks in advance. Will report back.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to try the Adguard Home thing that got released on my Rpi but I use a headless setup and don't know how to download and unpack and install a file through a headless setup.

The program itself is downloaded via this URL: Link

I wish I had taken like a beginner "how to use linux terminal" course or something sometimes. I just have to use it so infrequently that things like opening a text file require a guide.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

jokes posted:

I want to try the Adguard Home thing that got released on my Rpi but I use a headless setup and don't know how to download and unpack and install a file through a headless setup.

I wish I had taken like a beginner "how to use linux terminal" course or something sometimes. I just have to use it so infrequently that things like opening a text file require a guide.

wget https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/download/v0.9/AdGuardHome_v0.9_linux_arm.tar.gz
tar -xvf AdGuardHome_v0.9_linux_arm.tar.gz

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Goddammit I knew it would be so simple

derk
Sep 24, 2004

jokes posted:

Goddammit I knew it would be so simple

it usually is my man, usually is.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jokes posted:

Adguard vs. PiHole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like a DNS filter, so pretty similar I'd think?

quote:

How does AdGuard Home work?

AdGuard Home operates as a DNS server that re-routes tracking domains to a "black hole," thus preventing your devices from connecting to those servers. It's based on software we use for our public AdGuard DNS servers -- both share a lot of common code.