Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

So I got an pi4 and turned it into a little headless htpc with a couple of 2TB drives hooked up to it. It's running SABnzbd as the Usenet downloader, with Radarr and Sonarr doing the heavy lifting of finding things, running Plex so I can watch anything I can look at my collection of Linux ISOs on it from pretty much anywhere.

Question, I'd like to hide my traffic from my ISP so they don't wonder why I'm downloading terabytes of Linux ISOs. So, my questions are:

1. What VPN is worth the $? I hear good things about NordVPN and they've got a 70% off/3 year deal going on right now
2. How do you force all traffic to go through the VPN on Raspbian?
Like Skarsnik said if you're just using Usenet then enable TLS and don't worry about it.

Commercial VPN services are for two things: P2P :filez: and accesssing geoblocked content. There is no benefit to using one with Usenet unless your ISP is just straight up blocking your Usenet provider.

Those who actually care about securing their own normal web browsing when on untrusted networks should follow Subjunctive's advice and roll their own either at home on a Pi or whatever or with a trusted VPS provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

Like Skarsnik said if you're just using Usenet then enable TLS and don't worry about it.

Commercial VPN services are for two things: P2P :filez: and accesssing geoblocked content. There is no benefit to using one with Usenet unless your ISP is just straight up blocking your Usenet provider.

Those who actually care about securing their own normal web browsing when on untrusted networks should follow Subjunctive's advice and roll their own either at home on a Pi or whatever or with a trusted VPS provider.

yeah, I just turned on use SSL and called it a day

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there a way I can pre-configure a raspbian instance on my desktop before copying it to the pi's SD card? The pi itself is in kind of an inconvenient place to set it up as a full-head device while still being connected via ethernet to our router, so if I can get a basic raspbian image ready with the ability to ssh into it as soon as I put the card in the pi and turn it on, that would make things infinitely easier to mess with actually doing other stuff with it later.

E: Apparently googling the correct search terms is what you need! I found a guide on it.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 11, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

taiyoko posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there a way I can pre-configure a raspbian instance on my desktop before copying it to the pi's SD card? The pi itself is in kind of an inconvenient place to set it up as a full-head device while still being connected via ethernet to our router, so if I can get a basic raspbian image ready with the ability to ssh into it as soon as I put the card in the pi and turn it on, that would make things infinitely easier to mess with actually doing other stuff with it later.

E: Apparently googling the correct search terms is what you need! I found a guide on it.

https://www.pibakery.org/

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

taiyoko posted:

I imagine you found it already but you just have to put a file called ssh in the root directory and you're good to go.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just a quick sanity check... the Pi Zero/W only have one functional USB port, right? In the pictures they have two so I almost bought the regular Zero because I thought I could hook up a printer and ethernet adapter, but it seems like one is just a dummy power port.

I have a USB hub around somewhere, does it work fine with a hub in practice? The doc says this:

quote:

4. Single-TT USB hubs
USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs have a mechanism for talking to full- or low-speed devices connected to their downstream ports called a Transaction Translator. This device buffers high-speed requests from the host (i.e. the Pi) and transmits them at full- or low-speed to the downstream device. Two configurations of hub are allowed by the USB specification: Single-TT (one TT for all ports) and Multi-TT (one TT per port).
Because of the OTG hardware limitations, if too many full- or low-speed devices are plugged into a single-TT hub, unreliable operation of the devices may occur. It is recommended to use a Multi-TT hub to interface with multiple lower-speed devices.
As a workaround, spread lower-speed devices out between the Pi's own USB port and the single-TT hub.
I guess both the printer and ehternet would be High speed, in which case it should be fine then? But if they're not, I might be hosed? Ugh, I just might be better off with WiFi after all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

One is power and the other is Ethernet. It should work fine with a powered hub but I’d generally recommend going with the ZeroW just to avoid having to deal with another dongle.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you have the USB ports on top and facing you, the port to the right is only a power input. The left USB port, the one closer to the center, can be used to power the device and can also provide USB functionality in both directions. By default it operates in host mode where with the right adapter it can use any standard USB 2.0 devices (including hubs) that Linux supports, but you can put it in to device mode instead and make it act like a flash drive, ethernet adapter, input device, USB-Serial, or a few other things.

Technically that multi-mode port should be a Micro-AB connector because it supports host mode, but I've only seen that actually done right once ever. Everyone else seems to have just decided that Micro-B is fine for OTG capable devices.

That said, if you're at the point where you're adding a USB hub and an ethernet adapter to a Zero it generally makes more sense to use a full size Pi.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great, thanks for clarifying this. I thought I'd be able to get away with the Zero and two usb devices but yeah either a normal Pi or a W would make more sense than this contraption.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Can somebody recommend me a desktop OS? I’m using the 4gb rPi4. So far I’ve looked at raspbian, Ubuntu, and manjaro but I’m a bit confused by KDE vs XFCE, Ubuntu vs LUbuntu/etc, and so on. It also seems like the only version of Ubuntu supported by canonical on rpi is Ubuntu Server, am I going to see a practical difference? Should I just stick to Raspbian?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Should I just stick to Raspbian?
probably. What are you doing on this desktop of yours?

Longer answer: Raspbian is going to be the lightest and most acutely developed for the Pi's shortcomings IMO. And the Pi's shortcomings are many. Not sure where you're getting recommendations for Lubuntu for the Pi. Start with these OS's: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

I played around with Ubuntu MATE on the Pi, and it's neat seeing something so pretty run on a teeny little box, but ultimately Raspbian worked better since it's more stripped down.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 13, 2020

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I tried DietPi and it seemed to work just fine. Not sure if it's lighter than Raspbian but had the advantage of having a setup for lots of popular things.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I forgot about DietPi. I should check that out someday.

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002
Working on an application based on a Pi Zero and we need a dual band Wi-Fi USB dongle, but it seems like all of the ones that work with Linux are 3-4 inches long, whereas all of the ones that are less than a half inch or so long won't work with Linux and only have Windows or iOS drivers available. Am I missing something?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Thank you guys for recommending Lakka to me, runs like a dream and I'm having a blast playing Dreamcast and PSX games on it. I found the upscaling option for PSX games and while it warns me that it can be slow, it actually runs incredibly well on the Pi 4. Only 1 game I've found has issues and the workaround was fairly easy for that. Aside from bluetooth being sort of a bitch to get going properly, it's really been quick and easy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone re. Pi and printing. I got my Zero W in the mail today and I just printed my first page wirelessly after about two hours of dicking around. On Android, at least, it works. On Windows, the printer is initially found, but when I click "Add", after a moment it says "Status unavailable" and nothing happens. When I refresh it, the printer doesn't get discovered any more. Weird (and makes the whole thing useless :v:) but I'll leave it for now.

E: It seems to work if I add it manually though IPP, huh.

I Demand Food posted:

Working on an application based on a Pi Zero and we need a dual band Wi-Fi USB dongle, but it seems like all of the ones that work with Linux are 3-4 inches long, whereas all of the ones that are less than a half inch or so long won't work with Linux and only have Windows or iOS drivers available. Am I missing something?
I'm also having problems with my dongle being too long but so far there's no solution

No, you're not missing anything, it probably depends on the chpset and the cheaper/shittier ones have windows drivers. I've been using an older version of this thing, it's pretty big too: https://www.fasttech.com/product/9656497-mantistek-dual-band-1200mbps-wireless-usb-3-0-lan

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 15, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

khy posted:

Thank you guys for recommending Lakka to me, runs like a dream and I'm having a blast playing Dreamcast and PSX games on it. I found the upscaling option for PSX games and while it warns me that it can be slow, it actually runs incredibly well on the Pi 4. Only 1 game I've found has issues and the workaround was fairly easy for that. Aside from bluetooth being sort of a bitch to get going properly, it's really been quick and easy.

How's dreamcast run? I have been meaning to try it out but I assumed it would be hit or miss.

And yeah, my experience with PSX has basically been flawless.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Not sure where this question should go but I’ll start here. I created a standalone Pi camera for my wife for her birthday. She loves taking pics, video, time-lapse, etc and the raspberry pi with camera module was something I had already and I went ahead and made her one using a github project I found. You can control the camera completely through a web interface hosted on the pi. Works great on WiFi in our house.

But I was thinking, if we take it on a trip it would be cool to just have it use our iphones hotspot. Of course, then the phone can’t talk to it, since the devices on the network are rightly segregated.

I was thinking of getting around this using a vpn or wireguard maybe? Two devices could be on the same network that way, correct? It doesn’t need a lot of bandwidth, it’s a really simple interface on the pi in html on Apache on port 80. We’d wait until we got home to get stuff off of it.
Does this sound feasible? Is there an easier way I’m not thinking of?

Bonus points for being able to do it completely offline, like if we were in a remote area out of cell range, but that isn’t strictly necessary. Let’s start off saying the phone will I’ve internet access.

edit: Here's the software I used in case it helps/matters
https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface
https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface#Installation_Instructions

namlosh fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you should be still able to access the camera if it's connected to your iphone hotspot. But maybe it's an iphone thing.

The way I usually do with my ESPs (cameras or otherwise) is that they act as the access point, and I connect to them with my phone/laptop whenever needed.Then it's not dependent on any existing infrastructure. I don't know how exactly it's done with the Pi, but after a quick search it should be possible.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

mobby_6kl posted:

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you should be still able to access the camera if it's connected to your iphone hotspot. But maybe it's an iphone thing.

The way I usually do with my ESPs (cameras or otherwise) is that they act as the access point, and I connect to them with my phone/laptop whenever needed.Then it's not dependent on any existing infrastructure. I don't know how exactly it's done with the Pi, but after a quick search it should be possible.

Hmmmm, I hadn’t thought of that. Making the pi camera a WiFi hot spot and having the iPhone connect to it would be a way to go. Wouldn’t need internet while it’s just controlling the camera. Is there an easy setting for configuring the pi as a WiFi hot spot? If anyone knows chime in, but I’m sure I can google it.

Thanks!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Apologies in advance for what has got to be a dumb question, but I recently bought a Pi 4 in the hopes of replacing my laptop as my Plex server. Now, this is my first Pi experience and my first Linux experience so I absolutely take the blame for biting off more than I can chew, but the youtube tutorials made everything sound so simple...

I'm using Raspbian and I tried going through these tutorials (and some others, but honestly they pretty much all said the same thing), and the installation mostly works; I can get to the web interface, I can log in to Plex, but I have 2 issues (that I think are related)

1. At every boot, Plex asks me to claim this server with my account. Not a huge deal in itself since it takes a second to fix and I don't plan on rebooting that often, but I think it's a symptom of the same problem as no. 2 (which is that the Plex app is missing permissions to write or read or whatever I don't get Linux)

2. Every USB HDD that I've tried "works" (as in, it shows up in the GUI, I can see the files in the Explorer), but Plex can only see the drive but apparently not the directories and scanning the library turns up nothing.

Faffing about on Google leads me to believe it's a permission thing, but I have no idea how to go about fixing that. Some of the tutorials that I tried to follow told me to change the Plex user from "Plex" to "Pi", but they tell me to do it by editing /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev, which apparently isn't used anymore (which would fit with my experience of this file not existing despite the installation being apparently successful).

I really hope that I'm missing something obvious and that someone can help me with this. This morning I'm trying to install DietPi and I can't even get that to install, so I'm trying to follow another tutorial again.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

CordlessPen posted:

Apologies in advance for what has got to be a dumb question, but I recently bought a Pi 4 in the hopes of replacing my laptop as my Plex server. Now, this is my first Pi experience and my first Linux experience so I absolutely take the blame for biting off more than I can chew, but the youtube tutorials made everything sound so simple...

I'm using Raspbian and I tried going through these tutorials (and some others, but honestly they pretty much all said the same thing), and the installation mostly works; I can get to the web interface, I can log in to Plex, but I have 2 issues (that I think are related)

1. At every boot, Plex asks me to claim this server with my account. Not a huge deal in itself since it takes a second to fix and I don't plan on rebooting that often, but I think it's a symptom of the same problem as no. 2 (which is that the Plex app is missing permissions to write or read or whatever I don't get Linux)

2. Every USB HDD that I've tried "works" (as in, it shows up in the GUI, I can see the files in the Explorer), but Plex can only see the drive but apparently not the directories and scanning the library turns up nothing.

Faffing about on Google leads me to believe it's a permission thing, but I have no idea how to go about fixing that. Some of the tutorials that I tried to follow told me to change the Plex user from "Plex" to "Pi", but they tell me to do it by editing /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev, which apparently isn't used anymore (which would fit with my experience of this file not existing despite the installation being apparently successful).

I really hope that I'm missing something obvious and that someone can help me with this. This morning I'm trying to install DietPi and I can't even get that to install, so I'm trying to follow another tutorial again.

Thanks in advance for you help!

That absolutely sounds like a permissions issue, and literally having done what you are doing right now a few weeks ago I got to figure that out.

Plex runs under the 'plex' account, so you need to give that account R/W access to the relevant directories.

Third answer down should help you out:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/150909/plex-wont-enter-my-home-directory-or-other-partitions

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can try adding the Plex user to whatever group has access, but my experience with the pi is that it usually ignores what I'm trying to do.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah getting your head wrapped around permissions for Linux can take some getting used to.

Would our goon friend be better off doing the container route? It’s pretty much a turnkey situation once set up, but I don’t know if that would be ideal for a raspi server.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Has there been any progress on 64-bit OS stability on the Pi 4s? I tried Ubuntu Server when it first became available but was having some issues with it such as it randomly dropping all networking ability (it would still be running and I could plug a monitor/keyboard in, but SSHing or accessing it via the IP/port I had a service running on didn't work). Would like to try again mostly so I can use the newer versions of MongoDB.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've been trying it for a few days and it's still a bit of a mess. Ubuntu 20.04 arm64 install is a _real_ pain in the rear end right now. I had to totally disable cloud-init as it was overwriting the wifi config and doing all kinds of stuff that made no sense. I eventually got a full DE going with the ubuntu-mate-desktop package install and it was extremely flakey and bad in X11. The screen randomly glitches out and stops repainting chunks. Bluetooth and wifi connectivity are very bad and flakey. Logs don't have any useful info to troubleshoot. Overall it feels very slow and not as fast as it should be either--my pi 4 4GB should be as snappy and fluid as top end chromebooks but it feels worse than the pi 3.

Oh and don't even bother trying their new native USB boot stuff. I blew a few days on it and it's not working, period. I only got it to work with Raspbian's default 32 bit image. It's neat booting from a SSD over USB when it works, but I don't trust it at all right now and their forum has a few threads with many issues people are finding.

So IMHO stick with plain old 32-bit Raspbian. Honestly I'm looking for a better arm64 board, it's pretty clear from the Pi forums and devs that post there that arm64 is not a priority at all for them. I have a feeling some of the other SBCs that use armbian are in a better state.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What would be the benefit of 64 bit for the typical use cases for a pi? It'd be great to have it but I'm not surprised it's not a priority for them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

using numbers larger than 4 billion

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's now a 8GB variant of the Raspberry Pi 4, priced at $75

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Was just about to post that. Still no 64 bit Raspbian though. They say the 32bit PAE kernel can allow different processes to use more memory. And suggest Gentoo or Ubuntu if you want 64bit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

taqueso posted:

using numbers larger than 4 billion

You need more than 4 billion digits of Pi?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Varkk posted:

Was just about to post that. Still no 64 bit Raspbian though. They say the 32bit PAE kernel can allow different processes to use more memory. And suggest Gentoo or Ubuntu if you want 64bit.

It's buried at the end of the announcement but they're also working on a 64bit version of the OS:

quote:

Not to be left out, today we’ve released an early beta of our own 64-bit operating system image. This contains the same set of applications and the same desktop environment that you’ll find in our regular 32-bit image, but built against the Debian arm64 port.

Both our 32-bit and 64-bit operating system images have a new name: Raspberry Pi OS. As our community grows, we want to make sure it’s as easy as possible for new users to find our recommended operating system for Raspberry Pi. We think the new name will help more people feel confident in using our computers and our software. An update to the Raspberry Pi Desktop for all our operating system images is also out today, and we’ll have more on that in tomorrow’s blog post.

It's only a beta and it seems to have some big drawbacks at the moment:

quote:

Known issues
1) There is no hardware video acceleration in VLC or Chromium
2) libraspberrypi0, libraspberrypi-dev and libraspberrypi-doc have been moved out of /opt/vc/* and into /usr/* instead (making it more standard). Any code built against these libraries will require changing to refer to a more standard location (/usr/lib/ rather than /opt/vc/lib)
3) raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-kernel contain useless non-64bit binaries and is missing the work done to minimise the delay between files being deleted and installed to /boot

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, well then. E: although this raises more questions really, I guess it could be great for a database server

Wibla posted:

You need more than 4 billion digits of Pi?

You'd need a whole cluster of these probably!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 28, 2020

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What is the actual usecase for this? Other then making a profit from people who will buy this without thinking because they want the biggest number.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 28, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Raygereio posted:

What is the actual usecase for this? Other then making a profit from people who will buy this without thinking because they want the biggest number.

Docker hosts and tiny compute clusters is what would make sense with more than 4gb of ram on a rpi4(or a series of)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Raygereio posted:

Lots of cache means less I/O—could be good for handling video assets, or just as a static web server for a large collection of images like a maps sort of back end?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What would be the benefit of 64 bit for the typical use cases for a pi? It'd be great to have it but I'm not surprised it's not a priority for them.

Unlike your standard intel and amd processors where 64bit was mainly for more memory, on ARM 64bit brought new instructions and improved performance.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MikusR posted:

Unlike your standard intel and amd processors where 64bit was mainly for more memory, on ARM 64bit brought new instructions and improved performance.

Debatable. Most instructions there is no gain in having 64 bit width. Depending on the design there can also be memory bandwidth bottlenecks. 64 bit programs also tend to be larger.

I'm not advocating either here. Just saying that one or the other can be better depending on the use case.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Docker hosts

Yeah exactly. Four raspberry pi 8gb is enough to run a k3s or even a full kubernetes cluster with all of your apps and poo poo

CPU hasn't been a bottle neck for years and years on SBC, it's mostly memory. I would buy just one 32GB raspberry pi for $150 if one were avalible

8GB pi 4 is an ideal size/price point for multi device clusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MikusR posted:

AMD64/EM64T also doubled the number of registers and added the NX bit, among other smaller details.

For a few years there was a project in the Linux Kernel that was picked up by a few distros early on but never really caught on called "x32" that runs the CPU in 64 bit mode but uses 32 bit pointers so applications can use the new registers and other features while still retaining the same memory footprint as standard 32 bit code.

x32 was released in 2011, made the kernel in 2012, and was proposed for deprecation in 2018 (though hasn't officially been removed) because no one really ended up caring about it all that much.