Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

King Bahamut posted:

I just set up a standard pi 4 raspbian desktop from canakit, got my VPN up and running, downloaded some SNES ROMs because I’m a 40 year old stereotype, and ran into a wall. Files are in a 7zip format (.7z) but xarchiver doesn’t recognize them, through the GUI or command line. Man on xarchiver says it goes by the file header rather than the extension—do I need to search for a specific archive of ROMs created on a Linux file system? Can I convert or am I missing something dumb

Don't know what gui tool will do it but

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full

This will install a 7z command that should let you extract from the .7z file.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-and-use-7zip-file-archiver-on-ubuntu-linux/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

:toot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish that worked with pi4 and wifi, boy howdy.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Well I got the model running and it took my Pi 4 about 58 minutes of sitting at 99% RAM usage to generate the following:

quote:

South Korean girl group BTS is about to release their debut studio album. They've already racked up over 100 million YouTube subscribers, and they're already racking up fan mail from all over the world

Last time I tried to mess with this I was looking into converting the GPT-2 model to a TensorFlow Lite model but many of the operations it uses weren't supported by Lite.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

i vomit kittens posted:

I don't know if it's in the Raspbian repos but the Linux 7zip package is called "p7zip".

In Debian and Raspbian you probably want p7zip-full:

code:
pabs@keylime:~> apt-cache show p7zip{,-full}
Package: p7zip
Version: 16.02+dfsg-3+deb9u1
Architecture: armhf
Maintainer: Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>
Installed-Size: 729
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.5), libstdc++6 (>= 5)
Suggests: p7zip-full
Homepage: [url]http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/[/url]
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Filename: pool/main/p/p7zip/p7zip_16.02+dfsg-3+deb9u1_armhf.deb
Size: 292878
SHA256: 568cde28decad19a22318457d7f81adebe65ba8667611d4c9878071666b339ed
SHA1: 017f5f7d9478c4b1ecb034ac5d33ac9ec0faae85
MD5sum: d3d32b031bdc7f3caaece531994c05c6
Description: 7zr file archiver with high compression ratio
 p7zip is the Unix command-line port of 7-Zip, a file archiver that
 handles the 7z format which features very high compression ratios.
 p7zip provides:
  - /usr/bin/7zr
    a standalone minimal version of the 7-zip tool that only handles
    7z, LZMA and XZ archives. 7z compression is 30-50% better than ZIP
    compression.
  - /usr/bin/p7zip
    a gzip-like wrapper around 7zr.
 p7zip can be used with popular compression interfaces (such as File
 Roller or Nautilus).
 Another package, p7zip-full, provides 7z and 7za which support more
 compression formats.
Description-md5: a0431f39711e498d6462ffa98530d64b

Package: p7zip-full
Source: p7zip
Version: 16.02+dfsg-3+deb9u1
Architecture: armhf
Maintainer: Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>
Installed-Size: 3551
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.17.13)
Depends: p7zip (= 16.02+dfsg-3+deb9u1), libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.5), libstdc++6 (>= 5)
Suggests: p7zip-rar
Breaks: p7zip (<< 15.09+dfsg-3~)
Replaces: p7zip (<< 15.09+dfsg-3~)
Homepage: [url]http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/[/url]
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Filename: pool/main/p/p7zip/p7zip-full_16.02+dfsg-3+deb9u1_armhf.deb
Size: 968836
SHA256: ceedf5ea38196a031d652dce8f04b8d2a5b5c3d77a44cd1b4e5783a7474a911d
SHA1: 81dbd5ccb35b0fb555d73b9c8b570038e391bd55
MD5sum: 42e858e9962070fde16d8bfce4bef020
Description: 7z and 7za file archivers with high compression ratio
 p7zip is the Unix command-line port of 7-Zip, a file archiver that
 handles the 7z format which features very high compression ratios.
 p7zip-full provides utilities to pack and unpack 7z archives within
 a shell or using a GUI (such as Ark, File Roller or Nautilus).
 Installing p7zip-full allows File Roller to use the very efficient 7z
 compression format for packing and unpacking files and directories.
 Additionally, it provides the 7z and 7za commands.
 List of supported formats:
   - Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, XZ and TAR
   - Unpacking only: APM, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT,
     HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, LZMA2, MBR, MSI, MSLZ, NSIS, NTFS, RAR (only
     if non-free p7zip-rar package is installed), RPM, SquashFS, UDF,
     VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.
 The dependent package, p7zip, provides 7zr, a light version of 7za,
 and p7zip, a gzip-like wrapper around 7zr.
Description-md5: fc8c37a9a6d36c9a9277427ce669f01b

pabs@keylime:~> 

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
P7zip worked great, thank you. I think I need to nuke my card and start over, however, I attempted to install Retropie on top of the OS (using the instructions here https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Manual-Installation/) and now my system hangs on a black screen at boot. Is it possible/desirable to do a desktop install of Retropie and launch as needed? I’d like to keep this as a device that I can use as a workstation primarily, but launch the emulator front end when it’s hooked up to the TV

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

i vomit kittens posted:

Well I got the model running and it took my Pi 4 about 58 minutes of sitting at 99% RAM usage to generate the following:

Last time I tried to mess with this I was looking into converting the GPT-2 model to a TensorFlow Lite model but many of the operations it uses weren't supported by Lite.

This is actually cooler than suggested by the content lol

I assume you’re using GPT-3 now, right? Using your own dataset to train or what? I need more info! :)

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

namlosh posted:

This is actually cooler than suggested by the content lol

I assume you’re using GPT-3 now, right? Using your own dataset to train or what? I need more info! :)

Nope, still GPT-2. I haven't looked at the file sizes/complexities of GPT-3 but I'd imagine it would take even longer to generate. I trained the model on some movie scripts and YouTube video subtitles on my desktop PC, but I had to use the 355M base (the second smallest) because anything bigger uses too much VRAM for my 1080 Ti to handle.

I was originally trying to do this as a replacement for a Markov chain in a Discord bot but the generation time doesn't really lend itself to that. I might move down to the 124M model and see if that's any better.

e: Actually, the GPT-3 model isn't even available for download. It's only through an API and you have to sign up for a waitlist to get access. And I'm guessing "shitposting chat bot" isn't a valid reason to put on the application.

e2: also it's $100 a month minimum after the first 3 months lmao

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 31, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If you need access to GPT-3 I might be able to find the inside line. I know a few people who have access pretty much to gently caress around with it. I got to use a very early beta GPT-3 based chat bot a few months ago and it was pretty amazing. Definitely would blow any Markov based method out of the water. I don’t recall what the look back was on it but it was a lot.

If you’re using this for biz, I think the credit card company brex had some deal where you could get AWS credits for signing up. You could then use that to train on AWS sagemaker with a much better GPU.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

CarForumPoster posted:

If you need access to GPT-3 I might be able to find the inside line. I know a few people who have access pretty much to gently caress around with it. I got to use a very early beta GPT-3 based chat bot a few months ago and it was pretty amazing. Definitely would blow any Markov based method out of the water. I don’t recall what the look back was on it but it was a lot.

If you’re using this for biz, I think the credit card company brex had some deal where you could get AWS credits for signing up. You could then use that to train on AWS sagemaker with a much better GPU.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask because yeah I'd love to mess with it provided I don't run the risk of somehow getting someone else's access revoked or cost them anything. Just to be up front though, it's 100% not for any sort of productive or thought-provoking application, it'd literally just be relegated to trying to get it to say stupid poo poo every once in a while in a Discord of ~75 people.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Raspberry Pi 400 was just announced, it's a Pi 4 4GB built into a keyboard for desktop use more than anything, I guess. Kind of a cool idea if you want to do that with it since the price is reasonable ($70 or $100 for the kit):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-400-the-70-desktop-pc/
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status/1323178724678840321

There's a review up on Explaining Computers as well as dozens of other places I'm sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1E5xszQqV8

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I wouldn't buy one myself but it's definitely a cool idea and would probably be great for a kid getting into programming/electronics. It also has a faster processor than the regular Pi 4s, 1.8 GHz vs. 1.5. I don't know how significant of a jump that is but I was considering buying a second Pi 4 so it'd be nice to see a faster CPU show up on them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is the 4 actually fast enough for desktop use? Trying to do anything GUI-based on my 3B is like pulling teeth.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lazyhound posted:

Is the 4 actually fast enough for desktop use? Trying to do anything GUI-based on my 3B is like pulling teeth.

Yes, it's about four times faster than the 3B. Comparable to a cheap laptop, by most user reports - i.e. not great but totally fine for grandma's email and Facebook.

If they released the 8GB model as well, it would probably let you open a few more browser tabs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hey, it's a proper home micro. Wish they'd've gone with full sized hdmi when redoing the layout, but at least it comes with a cable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Home-computing has come full circle.

Considering that this, again, feels optimally placed in turning an existing TV into a computer, the fact that the pi has (I heard) problems with youtube playback is a big problem.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Considering that this, again, feels optimally placed in turning an existing TV into a computer, the fact that the pi has (I heard) problems with youtube playback is a big problem.

Not sure what problems people are having, but I used my pi4 to watch a bunch of YT last week and it was fairly smooth. There was noticable lag when moving in and out of fullscreen, but otherwise no hiccups.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Their cyberdeck would be a lot cooler if my neurolink was ready.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

VictualSquid posted:

The regular Pi 4 is probably still better for this use case because you can stick it under the TV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. You could do it with the Pi 400 too, but it takes more room.

But it's impressive that you can get a basic computer for what, 200 bucks if you have to buy a screen? And it cools a lot better than the Pi 4, too.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Re: Pi 400 - the Engadget article claims they'll also sell it in a $70 version that's just the keyboard/Pi without the accessories, but none of the resellers listed (at least on my admittedly quick look-see) seem to have that as an option. Anyone know of anywhere actually selling that? I already have all the necessary accessories so would rather not spend the additional $30 and have to find a drawer to toss them in.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I see one at okdo.com. couple of british resellers too.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

It's right there on Adafruit, linked straight from the product page on raspberrypi.org.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

mdxi posted:

It's right there on Adafruit, linked straight from the product page on raspberrypi.org.

All the US sites appear to have some variant of "coming soon"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lazyhound posted:

Yeah with 4gb memory or more and Ubuntu 20.10 desktop it's a solid and perfect desktop machine. Ditch Raspbian though, it's using such old and janky desktop gui that it's not worth it (they need to support all the super low end pis too so the whole ecosystem is held back). But be ready for some architecture pains, aarch64/arm64 is still a crapshoot of finding stuff that's compiled and ready to go or completely missing. Lots of little things like browser extensions, etc. don't have good aarch64 builds. But it's worth trying if you have a pi 4.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I suspect everybody wants to sell the higher priced, higher margin model first, and then in 2-3 months will sell the stripped down model

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The German reseller has the same (preorder) message on both models. They say they have a shipment of both incomming in the near future. They are even saying that they probably will be able to ship the loose 400s before the kits.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I suppose the keys might offer some ventilation but my guess is that keyboard will have an undocumented feature of being a hand warmer, too

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

So tempting, so not at all needed.

I wonder how a pi 4 compares to an a6-5400k for browsing/desktop usage.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Some Goon posted:

So tempting, so not at all needed.

I wonder how a pi 4 compares to an a6-5400k for browsing/desktop usage.

Compared to that it's going to be a step down, but not as bad as you think. My 4GB model is faster than the cheap x86 4 core Atom 2GB memory tablets but not as nice as a Ryzen 3 for some comparison. You _have_ to get the OS off the SD card and onto a SSD though. If not, it feels like dogshit molasses.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's been interesting to watch Pi as a desktop computer go from "Haha no" to "Yeaano" to "Very technically but you'll be miserable the entire time" to "Yes*****"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

klosterdev posted:

It's been interesting to watch Pi as a desktop computer go from "Haha no" to "Yeaano" to "Very technically but you'll be miserable the entire time" to "Yes*****"

honestly, four-five years ago, this would have been a perfect Linux device for people who want to dip a toe into doing programming. you always could use a Pi for it, but GUIs running terribly always made it rather hard for people who weren't already CLI-friendly.

unfortunately, nowadays, a bit harder of a sell between cheaper/better cloud environments, better Windows support for non-.NET programming, WSL being runnable in Win10 Home with much lower overhead than traditional VMs, and higher system requirements for writing/building code. still, I imagine there'll be a new generation of "learn to code with a Pi" books built around this device (and the base Pi 4) that won't assume you have another computer to write code on and transfer to a Pi (or expect you to figure out nano or something)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tweak posted:

I suppose the keys might offer some ventilation but my guess is that keyboard will have an undocumented feature of being a hand warmer, too

This is the first thing I thought. I remember I bought the first Asus EEE Netbook, and I loved the darn thing (and its 2GB SSD), but the keyboard would get mighty warm, to the point it brought a slight stinging sensation to my fingertips when typing. Tiny little fan out the side just going brrrrr

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

honestly, four-five years ago, this would have been a perfect Linux device for people who want to dip a toe into doing programming. you always could use a Pi for it, but GUIs running terribly always made it rather hard for people who weren't already CLI-friendly.

unfortunately, nowadays, a bit harder of a sell between cheaper/better cloud environments, better Windows support for non-.NET programming, WSL being runnable in Win10 Home with much lower overhead than traditional VMs, and higher system requirements for writing/building code. still, I imagine there'll be a new generation of "learn to code with a Pi" books built around this device (and the base Pi 4) that won't assume you have another computer to write code on and transfer to a Pi (or expect you to figure out nano or something)

You can learn to program (or install Linux, for that matter) on anything with a text editor, always could. This is a $100 computer you can give to your kids. Or use as a terminal for your home server. And it sounds like it's edging in on "a used optiplex" for a basic home computer.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Some Goon posted:

... You can learn to install Linux on anything ...
Main thing about Raspberry pi for learning stuff. And I think probably the most important one. Is that the basics like sound, network and video output work out of the box.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Does anyone have a dropbox-cli usable from within the cli? I'm on a RetroPie image and I'd like to use dropbox for backing up/retrieving configs and files. I did put on i3 so can xinit i3 then go into Chromium, but I feel like it's a weak move when command line tools would be available.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

Main thing about Raspberry pi for learning stuff. And I think probably the most important one. Is that the basics like sound, network and video output work out of the box.

...does on anything else too. This ain't the early 00s anymore.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Tweak posted:

Yup. It’s a flat bespoke board with a single piece of aluminum as a heat sink, youtube testers say it functions as well as any heatsink case.
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/raspberry-pi-400-teardown-and-review

abraham linksys posted:

unfortunately, nowadays, a bit harder of a sell between cheaper/better cloud environments

As much as I’d like to get into pi, unless I’m doing anything arm specific or using it as a sensor data collection platform via the GPIO pins, eh I dunno, maybe I need a project that really holds my interest

Like most of my screw around systems are $5-20/mo Linode instances that run Zandronum/Doom or Minecraft dedicated servers or Linux server stuff like nginx

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I basically ordered one immediately yesterday when I saw a video of it pop up on my screen. It's like it was tailor made just for me. Seems to come with all the stuff that I wished for in 2015 the last time I tried the RPi2. Still very :supaburn: about it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Some Goon posted:

...does on anything else too. This ain't the early 00s anymore.

This year i finally found a distro with working brightness controll on my netbook. It wasn't working (properly) last year.
This year i also tried running linux on my laptop and while sound and network works, scrolling in Firefix or Chrome is choppy and stuttery.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

This year i finally found a distro with working brightness controll on my netbook. It wasn't working (properly) last year.
This year i also tried running linux on my laptop and while sound and network works, scrolling in Firefix or Chrome is choppy and stuttery.

What distros were you trying? And where did you get a netbook that wasn't itself from the 00's?

I've had Linux on some machine or another since 2012 and the only thing I've ever had to go out of my way to get to work was the wireless card on my 2008 macbook.