Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Puddin posted:

Au.element14.com would be your best bet but are out of stock. Will have 8490 in stock on 19th Nov however.
Ordered one late wednesday night (there were 650 in stock), and it came midday today (friday).

One odd thing that I've noticed - my powered usb hub is capable of powering the pi the wrong way (via its uplink port and the pi's fullsize usb ports). I thought it was convenient at first but then I realised what side of the pi's board the powersupply bypass/filter cap is on (makes me wonder how much good it does when the power supply obviously isn't isolated from the usb power at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fuzz1111 posted:

Ordered one late wednesday night (there were 650 in stock), and it came midday today (friday).

One odd thing that I've noticed - my powered usb hub is capable of powering the pi the wrong way (via its uplink port and the pi's fullsize usb ports). I thought it was convenient at first but then I realised what side of the pi's board the powersupply bypass/filter cap is on (makes me wonder how much good it does when the power supply obviously isn't isolated from the usb power at all).

Yeah, really cheap powered hubs tend to provide power to the input. After finding USB devices inside the case of my regular tower had power while the machine was off, I decided to stop using cheap ones. I've already lost one motherboard to flaky USB controller issues (not a pi, just a computer).

Vaccuss
Jul 1, 2012
I am not sure if this is the thread for this but here goes...

I have ordered a PI to have a bit of a play and basically to get better at programming. I was wondering what projects you guys/girls have found to be fun.
I really want to avoid making led's flash.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Make them pulse smoothly.:v: That'll get you writing a driver for whatever i2c-controlled PWM LED driver you use if nothing else. Set one up with a camera to monitor a coffeepot and alert you via SMS when the coffee drops below a certain level. Build a PI-powered digital picture frame.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's not quite a Raspberry Pi, but is anyone else following the Parallella at all? It's basically two ARM cores supervising 16 or 64 Epiphany floating-point cores. It's not gonna challenge the NVidia cards for HPC or displace a high-end DSP but 22/90 GFLOPS for 5 watts seems pretty reasonable for something embedded and hackable. Seems like this would make simple/low-power software defined radios possible at a pretty low price point for example.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fuzz1111 posted:

What the hell? I ordered one over a week ago when they were in stock and have nothing yet.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's not quite a Raspberry Pi, but is anyone else following the Parallella at all? It's basically two ARM cores supervising 16 or 64 Epiphany floating-point cores. It's not gonna challenge the NVidia cards for HPC or displace a high-end DSP but 22/90 GFLOPS for 5 watts seems pretty reasonable for something embedded and hackable. Seems like this would make simple/low-power software defined radios possible at a pretty low price point for example.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

If someone could develop adapt ROS and OpenCV to use the features of that thing, it'd be an awesome platform for small vision-capable robots. You could fit one of those in a medium size quadcopter.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
For those who have had horrible experiences with wireless on the raspberry pi and running one of the various flavors of xbmc (i'm using raspbmc), i switched out my usb wireless thumb stick (the edimax one that's quite popular) and replaced it with my desktop's ethernet wireless bridge.

Now raspbmc doesn't buffer at all and the edimax works great with my desktop. That's one option if you want to use some form of wireless on your raspberry pi.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

People will Kickstart almost anything Pi related it seems.

It's a decent idea; I didn't realize you could get $34,000 for a breakout board that lacks any SMA connectors as well. (Though maybe the modules you solder to the board have the SMAs).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

movax posted:

People will Kickstart almost anything Pi related it seems.

It's a decent idea; I didn't realize you could get $34,000 for a breakout board that lacks any SMA connectors as well. (Though maybe the modules you solder to the board have the SMAs).

quote:

EVE..can you find out from Grandma's EVE if she's had her pills and if not to remind her.

Grandma eat the pills

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

What the hell? I ordered one over a week ago when they were in stock and have nothing yet.

I ordered back in July, and my order just shipped yesterday. I had completely forgotten about the thing after all this time and had kind of written it off.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sheep posted:

I ordered back in July, and my order just shipped yesterday. I had completely forgotten about the thing after all this time and had kind of written it off.

You ordered from RS Components, didn't you? I made that mistake too; I ordered in July and mine just shipped last week with an "up to 21 day" transit time. With no tracking number. I am not pleased.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 20, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was never able to actually order through RS Components. I registered interest several times since that opened up, but never once got an email about "yeah you can order now".

Element14 shipped the day after I ordered, pi arrived next day. For free. It's been running for about 2 months now. Then yesterday I got a call from Element14 to ask me if everything was fine with my most recent order, was I a hobbyist or a business, and to make sure I knew to take advantage of their price-matching system and tech support people if I needed to.

So yeah. Order from Element14.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

You ordered from RS Components, didn't you? I made that mistake too; I ordered in July and mine just shipped last week with an "up to 21 day" transit time. With no tracking number. I am not pleased.

Indeed I did. It was super cheap so I don't really care though, but I'd certainly avoid this company in the future.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My Raspberry Pi shipped today from Newark. :woop:

Now to buy an elegant box in which to place it and then not touch it for like six months straight after I lose interest almost immediately.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How are these things as media centers running XBMC? Can they play 1080P content reliably? Thinking of replacing my WDTV Live with one.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

How are these things as media centers running XBMC? Can they play 1080P content reliably? Thinking of replacing my WDTV Live with one.

Streaming a 1080p video with 2.0 AC3 over a 100mbit wired connection right now and it plays just fine. I don't know if I have any with a 5.1 DTS source to check on that, so I can't speak to that.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

My setup has the pi stream movies off an ubuntu server that's hidden in a cupboard. The server is wired into the network.

Streaming 1080p movies was fine when the pi was wired, but now that it's wireless it sometimes (like, once a week) gets stuck "buffering" when I start to play a movie. A reset fixes that. It's never decided to buffer once the movie actually starts playing.

I also can't speak for 5.1 DTS.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, since I have a receiver, the Pi would just be passing that stream onto it and not decoding it, no?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

AlphaDog posted:

I was never able to actually order through RS Components. I registered interest several times since that opened up, but never once got an email about "yeah you can order now".

Element14 shipped the day after I ordered, pi arrived next day. For free. It's been running for about 2 months now. Then yesterday I got a call from Element14 to ask me if everything was fine with my most recent order, was I a hobbyist or a business, and to make sure I knew to take advantage of their price-matching system and tech support people if I needed to.

This. I ordered my second pi from them and snapped the SD card mount on one side so the card wouldn't stay in position, contacted them and they sent a return courier satchel and refunded my purchase, no questions asked.

Their service is probably the best I have experienced lately. Can't recommend them enough.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

AlphaDog posted:

This. I ordered my second pi from them and snapped the SD card mount on one side so the card wouldn't stay in position, contacted them and they sent a return courier satchel and refunded my purchase, no questions asked.

Their service is probably the best I have experienced lately. Can't recommend them enough.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
RS's legendary delays turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. I had sent them a query as I hadn't gotten a shipping notification within the timeframe they had put up in their FAQ. A few days later I did get the shipping notification, and they replied to me after that, to say that according to their records it has just shipped, but if I don't receive it within a week to contact them again.

So I waited a week and a half, checked my PO box daily, and mailed them to say it hadn't arrived yet. They said they're going to investigate it, but also send a replacement by DHL Express who will send me an individual tracking number directly. Weeks go by with nothing in my PO box, no mail from DHL and no mail from RS. So I mailed them back a few times, and last week they replied to say they're investigating both the original delivery as well the replacement Express delivery, as according to their records the replacement should have shipped 3 weeks previously.

On Monday I got a call from DHL to get my physical address for delivery on Tuesday. And on Monday afternoon I checked my PO box again and found a parcel collection slip. Looking at the attached invoices, despite the shipping notification being sent on Oct 4, the invoice for the original delivery was dated Oct 22, and despite them saying the Express replacement was sent 3-4 weeks ago, the invoice for that was dated Nov 15.

So I collected 2 Pi's this week. Not only that, but due to them only actually shipping 3-4 weeks after saying that they would, both are also the 512MB ones rather than 256MB.

Still won't order from them again though.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Now to buy an elegant box in which to place it and then not touch it for like six months straight after I lose interest almost immediately.

The Pi's weird rear end form factor doesn't do it any favours; it's hard to find a nice case when bits stick out all over the place and there are cables exiting every side.

However a crowdfunding thing for this which looks to solve these problems should be out soon :swoon:

edit: it's out now > http://www.indiegogo.com/shortcrust?a=1800581

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 24, 2012

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

So long as it's not decoding audio on the Pi itself you'll be fine. I had issues at first running it on a PC monitor and using the separate audio jack, as most 1080p material was unwatchable under any of Xbian/Raspbmc/Openelec. However a TV connected via HDMI works perfectly. I have mine running Xbian and the only noticable difference between it and my proper Windows HTPC is that thumbnails load a bit slower.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Does anyone know if a Kindle AC power adapter will be able to power this? The adapter's output is 5.0v and 0.85A

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Vain posted:

I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Does anyone know if a Kindle AC power adapter will be able to power this? The adapter's output is 5.0v and 0.85A

It will. I'm using my droid's wall charger to power it since I didn't even think of having to buy a power supply.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

DoktorLoken posted:

Well, since I have a receiver, the Pi would just be passing that stream onto it and not decoding it, no?

Correct, with the caveat that it won't passthrough DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

That said, even if you haev to decode DTS, I had no problems decoding a high bitrate 1080p/DTS remux with a moderate overclock over NFS.

XBMC on the RPi can be quite slow when reading all the metadata (ie codec/length/etc.) and/or retrieving thumbs remotely, but once it's all done it's reasonably speedy and better than the ATV2 port was. It hit beta 1 last week and has become reasonably stable.

My WDTV Live certainly got ditched.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 23, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vain posted:

Kindle power adapters and Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/Nexus chargers have all successfully powered my Pi.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Alright, today is pretty drat good. I got my Pi on Friday and I was going to throw Raspbmc on it. So I'm sitting around and I realize, hey, I need a goddamn TV to use this thing probably.

So I get on craigslist and look around for some cheap LCDs, everything is pricier then I am willing to pay so I post an ad looking for a TV. Not half an hour later I get a response and two hours later I'm back home with a 37" Vizio for 60 bucks. Craigslist rules sometimes.

I need to get a switch because this room only has one Ethernet connection, but everything seems to be working fine except some of my files only play audio. I assume I need the codec licenses to play these files so I grabbed my Pi's serial just ordered both because it was like five bucks.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 26, 2012

awesomecopter
Aug 16, 2012
I've just tried to place a order for a Pi at the recommendation of a friend and professor.

tried, because i can not find them at not stupid prices.

Coming from arduino, i'm expecting great things out of it once i can get my hand on one without stealing my roommates.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Newark?

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
sprite m has a new article, which he does some neat stuff with his raspberry pi

http://spritesmods.com/?art=rpi_arcade&page=1

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got Raspbmc on my Pi now and it's all set up. It seems to be pretty snappy, however, updating the library that's stored on a shared drive on a different computer and downloading the tv show information is taking absolutely forever. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've got Raspbmc on my Pi now and it's all set up. It seems to be pretty snappy, however, updating the library that's stored on a shared drive on a different computer and downloading the tv show information is taking absolutely forever. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

That's normal. I've tried them all (Raspbmc, OpenElec, and Xbian) and OpenElec (which I'm using now) is definitely the fastest, with Raspbmc being the slowest by far.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Minecraft Pocket Edition is being ported to the Raspberry Pi as an environment for learning programming, and will be free to download. Announcement here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mine finally shipped! Can't wait to play with this thing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Rukus posted:

That's normal. I've tried them all (Raspbmc, OpenElec, and Xbian) and OpenElec (which I'm using now) is definitely the fastest, with Raspbmc being the slowest by far.
I guess I'll just hang in there and make sure to keep regular backups once I get the whole thing scanned.

Too bad there's not some way to do it from the command line, I feel like it'd be faster. But I doubt XBMC has that built in.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

awesomecopter posted:

I've just tried to place a order for a Pi at the recommendation of a friend and professor.

tried, because i can not find them at not stupid prices.

Coming from arduino, i'm expecting great things out of it once i can get my hand on one without stealing my roommates.

I just ordered from newark the other day with the idea that I wasn't in a hurry so the Dec 10 ship date didn't bother me. Somehow it's on a plane and will be arriving tomorrow! I chose cheapest delivery and everything. Why not try ordering from one of the official suppliers?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

stizu posted:

Why not try ordering from one of the official suppliers?

In particular, Newark/Farnell. By everyone's accounts they ship far more quickly than RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just got 4 from Newark, originally ordered on a Sunday (the 18th) when they said 16 were available, but the next day it said back ordered and none would be available until December 10. They ended up shipping this past Monday and just got here a few minutes ago.