Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Guillermus posted:

This performance jump should be decent enough for N64 (and most PS1 games) emulation. Wondering if Nintendo had a N64 mini on the works and were waiting on something like this.

I was curious if this was going to help substantially for Retropie performance etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I am considering a fairly big project and I think using a Raspberry Pi would be the way to go. I need to tackle several different problems with it though and figured I'd ask here to see how much poo poo I am getting myself into before really throwing myself into this. I'd prefer to build / assemble things on my own vs buying a pre-packaged solution, if that matters. I also have set up and run a PiZero as a PiHole server for my house that's been working great. That's my entire experience with the Rasbpi platform.

I have a chicken coop that I just built: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&pagenumber=302#post504436105

It's within wifi range of the house but inconvenient to run power to directly so 1st thing would be:

1. Solar power / battery setup for the Raspberry Pi. Powers everything else below as well.

2. I'd like to set up a remote door opener for the coop. Nothing on a timer, just something I can fire off a command for the circuit to activate (probably will use a small motorized piston arm to move the coop side door up and down).

3. A dedicated temperature sensor that logs temps and alerts an email address if temp gets above or below a certain range.

4. Have the device also trip a circuit when the temp is below a certain level to activate a water heater to keep their water from freezing. I have an eye on some fairly low current heating stuff for this, suggestions welcome.

5. (Not mandatory, maybe for later) Have a camera in the coop that streams either time lapse images or video to the network that we can view (think baby monitor) to see if the chickens inside the coop are well.

This would all be new stuff for me, if I should move this to a different thread please let me know but it seems like an achievable project and I'm in no rush with it since we can do all of these things manually quite easily and most of this won't really be useful until winter anyway.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

Camera is the easiest part, running solar is the hardest part especially because your low temp stuff is going to happen in the middle of the night in the winter, most likely when you have problems with your solar setup. Long extension cords are probably way way less of a hassle.

The other stuff doesn't seem too hard.

Yeah I'm thinking set up 1-2 fairly large panels and a substantial deep cycle battery. If it's not enough for this application I can use it to power a watering pump for the garden or something next spring and run an extension cord to the coop if its just not good enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

If you're going to go to all of that effort to automate a chicken coop, consider including (and sizing your battery bank for) supplemental lighting and ventilation (for any high heat events and moisture regulation). Both are very easy to address early, but may require completely changing your battery system if you need them later and haven't sized for it in advance.

I have no idea how practical it is to keep water from freezing using battery power, but if you're going to go that route, insulate the hell out of your water system and keep it as small as you safely can.

Ah yeah hadn't thought about messing with ventilation (the coop itself has airholes up at the top and the windows are on lift out hinges and are removable to let the entire thing vent during warmer months.

For the water I was thinking just 1g or so in a thermos inside the coop itself. So yeah not like heating 5-10g out in the elements at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

I know we're all stuck on the power delivery, but how far from the coop is the nearest outlet?

As for the other things, a Pi would be a good solution for expandability and things like capturing a video feed (which I think is pretty cool and would definitely want that if I had a coup).

The Temp Sensor is a pretty well-worn path for RPi, a quick google search found tons of examples like this one: https://www.circuitbasics.com/raspberry-pi-ds18b20-temperature-sensor-tutorial/

Sending emails is easy too, I did a Python script that sent emails from my gmail for a non-pi application following something like this and it worked pretty easily: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/send-mail-from-your-gmail-account-using-python
I'd setup a gmail account like "ThatWorksChickens" to handle it.

There's a bunch of ways to do the motorized door. The hardest part will be getting your servo installed and running well, then you can open it via an email command, IR Sensor (https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/raspberry-pis-remotes-ir-receivers) or even make a little app for your phone and open it with a Network command. There's a bunch of Garage Door Projects that you could probably look at and start with: https://www.instructables.com/id/Garage-Door-Opener-2/

This is excellent, thanks! I kinda didn't know where to start given there's so many different ways to do these.

Any reason to go with something beefier than just another piZero for this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

For the record I'm not running any power to the coop other than a temporary extension cord to get the system troubleshooted and running until solar is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Crosspostin from the learning electronics thread.

I wanted to see if anyone had guidance on best practices to make a breadboard functioning circuit into a prototype.

Basically I have this motor controller and the Pi, and a separate set of jumpers not shown that connect to a 10k resistor and a temperature sensor.

The motor controller contracts / extends a 12v linear actuator to open/close a door in the chicken coop. The 5V power on the motor controller powers the Pi and I am using DS18B20 temperature sensors.

I've gotten all the individual circuits / initial test scripts working and everything functions well now on a breadboard. The system is powered by a solar-charged 12V DC battery.

These are all going to go inside a chicken coop and will be out of any wind / rain but will at least need to be covered and put together in a way that is sturdy / stable. They will be mounted fairly high up on a board that is mounted to the wall with a standoff inbetween so they are not directly connected to the exterior wall (hopefully will keep down external temperature extremes).

My current thought is to put the Pi and motor controller into a 2-gang PVC electrical box with a solid cover on it and have wires going in-out from it via PVC conduit. What's a good way to connect all the GPIO pinned stuff to each component long-term? Should I be putting this into a different type of enclosure etc?