Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I just ordered a raspberry pi. My ultimate goal is to put together an arcade cabinet with it. What I'm stuck on is the hardware aspect of that.

I'm looking at this for my joystick: http://www.adafruit.com/products/480

Is there a good tutorial somewhere that can take me from having a joystick to registering the input on my pi? I have no background in electrical engineering, so I am really at a loss as to what I need to do on the hardware side. Can I wire the joystick outputs directly to the GPIO and just configure an emulator to accept signals from the GPIO? Do I need a breadboard? What other hardware do I need (wires, breadboard, etc) to get it up and running.

Or do I need to step back, and get some kind of foundation in electrical engineering so I can understand what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Thanks! I have never soldered before but I can buy the stuff if I need to. I was looking at the ipac2 also- http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html. I was just considering it because it might simplify things for me to be able to connect via usb and still have my GPIO ports available.

I'll let you know which way I end up going. From some additional reading I did online it sounds like a lot of people buy pc controllers and just crack them open for the boards.