Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hi guys. I've got a problem and I'm wondering if a Pi is the solution.

Problem: old TV/DVD combo unit in the bedroom is just about dead

Hypothesis: Replace it with a normal tv hooked up to a Pi that has access to our media files and can be controlled in a similar fashion to a dvd player

I'm positive that a Pi can be hooked up to our home network and given access to the folder with all our media; that's obvious. What I'm curious about is how "not-a-computer" I can make this. My living room media setup is a full W10 PC, and while it's fully functional, there's no debate that it's fiddly. It's the mouse on a couch type of problem.

Here's what I'd like the Pi to do:
-Turn on (or wake up) remotely
-Control easily from a one-handed remote-like device
-Boot directly to a media program
-Play specific or shuffled media files from another PC on the network
-Have a sleep timer that can be activated by pressing a single button on the remote (every push of the button adds 30 minutes to a timer that will sleep the device on countdown)

While I have no doubt a Pi is capable of all of that, the key here is that I haven't, and won't, program. I need all of this available as sort of PnP apps. I don't mind getting my hands dirty on the setup - lord knows I've installed a crack or two - but the moment the answer is "program that feature yourself" I'm out.

What do you guys think, is this accessible to someone who doesn't want to write custom code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Have you just considered a Roku?

The remote is taken care of. There’s *a* sleep timer, if not your very specific idea of how one should work. The Express starts at $30.

CFox posted:

I read your post and you didn't mention it but you're running plex right?

I hadn't considered a Roku at all, though I've used my parents'. My current media setup isn't plex, but it shouldn't be too hard to install that by the looks of it. Then just buy a Roku, load up the plex app, and it will work? That seems easy enough.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok, I'm going the roku/plex route, since it's the most minimal investment possible. Thank you everyone, and sorry to disrupt your Raspberry Pi chat!