Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The OP looks to be about 3 years old. For those interested in picking up a Rasberry Pi, is there any recommended packages or places to buy it? It looks like Amazon has a variety of Pi 2 kits, not sure if one stands out from the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

just got the pi, touchscreen, and case.

the good:
minimal assembly needed.
the pi is beefier than expected.
raspian worked out of the box with the touchscreen.
the case actually came with heat sinks. they even had thermal stickers so i didn’t need to shop for thermal paste. (at least i’m assuming the adhesive is thermal)

the annoying:
the case is upside down. i had to add lcd_rotate=2 to /boot/config.txt to rotate the touchscreen.
raspian doesn’t come with an onscreen keyboard.

the bad:
7” touchscreen is way too small :(
i need a big rear end touchscreen, make it eink too if you can.

:sigh: i guess the tiny screen will have to do for now

Just curious, do you have a specific use case for the touchscreen?

I'm contemplating hopping onboard the Pi train. Reading up on Pi-Hole has piqued my curiosity and maybe try my hand at setting up an Open VPN server.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll preface this by saying I'm a linux rookie, and completely new to ssh.

I have my raspberry pi 3 running, and am able to ssh to it from my Windows 10 pc. What should I read up on if I want to use multiple terminal windows in my ssh session? Is that where tmux comes in?

For example, I'd like to be able to write some code with Vim in one terminal and then run it in another. I'm not positive how to handle that from an cli/ssh view.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xzzy posted:

Open another window on your windows machine and ssh into the pi again.

tmux is more about running multiple shells over the same connection. Which you can also do, but is a learning curve that might be overkill at this point.

I hadn't thought of doing that. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Thanks!

*Just got an LED to blink. :3:

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 4, 2018

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

njsykora posted:

I have no issues with playback on my 400, so it's certainly possible. I haven't changed anything in PiOS though so I don't know what if anything I have different to your setup.

Also I finally did what I wanted to do from the start with the 400 and set it up on a small desk of its own and I'm pretty happy to have this little desktop setup in my bedroom now for when I just want to sit in a quiet room and do computer stuff. After getting a new laptop and relearning how to type on these kinds of flat keys I'm even starting to get used to the keyboard and be able to type normally on it.

What's the performance like for simple web browsing?