Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just can't believe they didn't put any drat holes in the board for mounting. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Space Gopher posted:

One of the big attractions for this is "feel free to gently caress it up, you can just restore it!" You know, from that other PC you have. Not to mention, it'd sure be nice to teach people to use modern programming tools, rather than just saying "well print() statements were a good enough debugger for me..."
I think your insistance on the reliance of an outside computer in order for these to work is overblown. A raspberry pi can be supplied with preloaded SD card, and I doubt many of these kids are going to be doing poo poo like hacking the kernel and "bricking" their devices left and right. I think it's much more likely that they will be making a turtle draw lines on a screen, which has 0 chance making the device unbootable.

Even if you do manage to screw up the boot, it's not like you need 1:1 desktop per raspberry pi. You just need access to a single public PC to download a unfucked SD image and load it on there. In fact, I'm betting you could get a cheapo USB SD reader, and have your friend's pi recover your SD card for you, no desktop PC at all.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So, are there people working on porting android to this? I was just discussing with a friend how this would be pretty neat for a carputer running android possibly.

Is there anything about the board that would make it unsuitable or especially difficult to run Andriod on?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

OptimusMatrix posted:

I just bought one so I can use it as a cheap media streamer.
RaspBMC is gonna own so hard :circlefap:

Anyone know if this thing will suppport SDXC cards?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Install Gentoo posted:

So you actually want programming classes to start costing money, so that students will have to take home something that they may not be able to use? What's wrong with doing what schools with programming classes do now where you are given access to what you need for it for free?

You actually think there's no such thing as poor people in any school with a programming class? Are you high?

What are you trying to imply, that anyone who can't afford buying extra stuff for their kid smokes too much?
Hello, RaspberryPi is a cool low-power computer in a small package that will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a full desktop or laptop PC, EVEN AFTER FACTORING IN THE COST DISPLAY AND PERIPHERALS.

Schools are not going to suddenly be forcing every poverty stricken family to spend the last of their food money on these. Give it a loving rest and stop threadshitting.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 6, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Well, I mainly want (my first) one for HTPC/XMBC use, but I'm also thinking this could be a nice robotics platform, probably enough power to do a bit of video processing: plug in USB camera, strap to roomba, or better yet XV-11 with laser rangefinder and program it to do all kinds of autonomous cool stuff.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Good news! They passed certification already.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't know a lot about the various arm processor versions to say if it would be easily portable to raspi, but Smoothie firmware is a CNC controller firmware designed to run on ARM (Cortex M3) processors. As far as I know it is a standalone firmware that doesn't run on top of any OS like linux.

Besides porting or writing the controller software, the other main issue I think is whether or not there is enough GPIO pins exposed to handle 3 (or more) motor controllers, plus various other accessories(for ex. in 3d printing, hotend heater/thermistor, heated bed heater/thermistor, 4 axis X/Y/Z/extruder, limit stops, fan control).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Aurium posted:

Interestingly enough, at this point I've argued on both sides of this issue.

This is the main issue with using the Pi to control real stuff.

It also has a nice real solution. The Raspberry Pi conveniently exposes it's SPI and I2C busses, as well as a UART. Connect GPIO expander chip(s) to any of them and you'll have all the IO you'll ever need. Here's some people who've designed a stackable one, stack them to the heavens(8 of them) and get an additional 128 GPIO.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough gpio pins to just emulate a parallel port and just use the current CNC driver boards, so no matter what you want, you're talking about adding additional custom hardware.
I don't have any experience with CNC milling(which I assume most people mean when they refer to CNC in general), but I do have a reprap 3d printer and I can say that the vast majority of users currently are using a RAMPS setup. Basically RAMPS is a daughter board("shield" in arduino terminology) for an Arduino Mega(the mega costs about the same as raspi, but much less processing power) that allows you to run up to 5 stepper drivers, up to 3 thermistors, 3 power mosfets to drive heating elements, and up to 6 limit stops(most people just use 3). The stepper drivers are pololu or compatible which are more or less a breakout board for Allegro stepper driver chips. The drivers basically use a two inputs: Step and Direction to control the motor. They are rated for up to 35V and 2A with proper thermal management(surface mount, heavy clad PCB with vias). The pololus cost about $13 each and seem to hit a very good price/performance sweetspot.
A fully assembled RAMPS board (not including the Arduino mega or Pololus) runs about $85.

So basically what I'm getting at is that if it is possible to make a daughterboard for raspi that can break out enough pins over i2c or whatever to perform similar function as RAMPS, for similar price, then that could possibly make quite a few people happy. The whole intermediate parallel interface idea is foreign to me, and seems extraneous.

Edit: This diagram shows how all the stuff interfaces with the RAMPS board. Dual extruder(what the 5th stepper driver would be for) is optional and not widely used at the moment.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 20, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just stumbled across this thread on the raspberry pi forums about processor configuration/ overclocking. Something which hadn't really crossed my mind before, but could be a lot of fun.

Bascially you can overclock by simply editing a text file. Dom says he's already been running 1Ghz(from a baseline 700Mhz) and short tests at 1.15Ghz. I wonder how much higher is possible with addition of heatsink/heatsink+fan/liquid cooling/dry ice/LN2 :getin:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone received one in the mail yet?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah, got notification this morning that my order has shipped. Wee.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Got the pi in today. Running the main debian image from the raspberrypi.org. This thing is super annoyingly slow, more than I thought it would be. I already overclocked it to 1Ghz. I hope there is still much room for improvement from software optimizations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Shane-O-Mac posted:

What are you using it for? I wanted to get one as an HTPC, but if it's performing badly I may change my mind.

The plan was to use it to replace my old Xbox 1 running XBMC. Based on the current performance i have no idea how it will be able to do that, I'm hoping it's all in the software optimizations, I don't know if they are taking adavantage of any video acceleration yet or whatever other special instructions. There's no RaspBMC image yet to try out, so gotta wait a while.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I was searching for a fast SD card to be used with the pi, and I found these SD card benchmarks from Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-sd-cards/benchmarks,125.html

Shows a whole bunch of charts using different benchmarking programs. I'm not 100% sure what to make of all of it as far as what's the best card for general linuxing, but I ended up just buying one of the "Patriot EP Series (32 GB, UHS-I)" because it seemed to perform in the top tier for most tests, and at a really nice price for all that capacity.

Also, what the hell is going on with "Samsung Plus (16GB, Class 10) MB-SPAGA" in some of the h2benchw results? It scores like 1000 times faster than the other, but this seems like some sort of error since the other benchmarks show nothing like that. Maybe some weird caching thing going on with the controller on this chip? Or just incorrectly recorded test results?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

SquallStrife posted:

If you want better performance from your Pi, it's much much faster if you use a USB HDD, or even mount root over NFS.
Are there any tutorials on setting up pi for net booting? Can I take an existing image like Raspbmc and modify it to do that?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

You could do the same with a couple of these on the end of the ribbon cable instead of using a whole pcb.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SIP110-PPPC-D13-ST-BK/S9332-ND/2095341

There's probably also a single 2 row plastic connector somewhere with .3" row spacing that would fit a breadboard too.
Edit: I think this one should work(couldn't find a 26pin, so I went up to 28): http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ADAM-TECH/FDP-28-T/?qs=TTVbHWoAP%2fQP8HTx%252b5csmA%3d%3d

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 3, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Pweller posted:

People who have already received their pis, what did you end up paying for shipping? (to which country)

I'm still interested in picking up a pi at some point, but not if it's $15 for shipping a $35 kit.

I ended up being charged $62.51 total from farnell, shipped to Austin, TX :(

Oh and a $1.87 "Foreign transaction fee" on my CC.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Just wanted to chime in to say that RaspBMC has been working really well for me. Haven't come across a file that it wouldn't play well.

The only slightly annoying issue is that the sound in the beginning takes a few seconds before it gets going for some reason (it stays in sync w/ video once it starts), and then the last couple seconds of video just freeze-frames and the audio cuts out.

I've been using it with the official XBMC Remote for Android, which is really nice.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

If anyone is interested in a super fancy milled aluminum case, there is an indiegogo campaign for one here http://www.indiegogo.com/arcol-raspi

This guy is also active in the reprap 3d printer community and has produced some of the nicest hotends(for extruding molten plastic filament).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYLTudcOaM
This video was posted on the raspberrypi.org blog recently, but this dude goes from very basic intro of how raspberry pi runs, to showing some cool custom daughterboard he made, blinkenlights, homemade inkjet, rpm sensor, remote controlled rover, etc.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

http://www.raspbmc.com/

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Wow xbian really is great, I hadn't heard of it before and just switched over tonight. The difference in menu responsiveness is hard to believe. And I didn't even know HDMI could do this whole CEC thing, it worked first thing with no configuration required at all. No need to use android xbmc remote anymore

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

porktree posted:

Who's running Xbian? I put it on my Pi and let it chug along and update the libraries (overnight) - but I seem to be having a lot of issues streaming even low quality (SD) content from my media share. The same stuff runs without a hiccup through XBMC on my ATV 2, or streamed wirelessly to my iPad (using Airvideo). I'm going to load up a card with RaspBMC and see how that does with playback. Or, are there any tweaks I should try with Xbian?
I'm running XBian and it's been working great for me. Having run raspbmc previously i can tell you that you will be taking a huge step backwards doing that.

It shouldn't take overnight to update. Only took a couple minutes for me if i remember correctly. Are you using a wifi dongle with a spotty connection or something? Just sounds to me like you are getting terrible network speeds.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

fcbarros posted:

Yes, I got the same results, the interface is indeed greedy, I just hope this is still not fully optimized, because if it is, it is slow... :(
I could only get 1080P video running directly from SD, if I try to get from stream, it hangs, it seems network is processor-greedy too.
xbian menus are smooth as silk, so much better than raspbmc
stop using raspbmc

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Well, that's a shame, xbian was working very well for me. I didn't realize there was an issue with GPL violations.

Judging by Koen's reactions, he sounds a bit immature to be leading such a project. So what's the consensus on raspbmc vs openelec. I tried raspbmc a while ago and was frustrated by the unresponsiveness of the menus. I guess this turbo update should hopefully fix all that though. I haven't tried openelec yet

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

klosterdev posted:

2. Can I remote desktop to it in any way? (Android as a remote would be best, Windows might work)
There is an android XBMC remote app that i've tried and works fine, though once i learned about CEC support I've just use my tv remote

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So now that 512MB versions are out, I guess there's a huge shortage again. Is there any place I can order one for the US, and not just "register interest".

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Puddin posted:

Anyone using a remote for this? My WiFi doest extend to the bedroom where ill be using this.

Is it a matter of a cheap Harmony remote and a USB ir receiver?

If your display is a TV with it's own remote, the CEC feature should let you use your TV remote with XBMC. The button press data is forwarded to the pi through the hdmi cable.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Not sure, I just know it worked out of the box on my samsung led dlp which is a few years old.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any way to send a yotuube link to xbmc from a desktop computer. I've used youtube addon very briefly, but the search interface drives me loving insane and gently caress trying to type on a tv remote. Also I don't like that I can't turn off saving my search history in that plugin.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Smuckles posted:

I ordered once of these Sunday night and it came this afternoon. I got RaspBMC running pretty easily. My TV remote is controlling it via HDMI-CEC without having to tweak anything. Overall, the performance is pretty decent for a $35 computer. I can't complain.

EDIT: For those running something like RaspBMC or OpenElec, is the MPEG-2 license even needed?

it is needed if you want to watch mpeg2 encoded videos

without it, mine would play the audio track but blank video

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What's the latest consensus on xbian vs raspbmc distros? Last I checked both projects were run by two stupid kids having slap fights and accidentally setting everyone's write-once bits.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

What's usb loading? you have a separate partition on usb drive instead of sdcard?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Le0 posted:

Oh yeah I see that now, I went back to my XBMC and could notice that the pictures were kinda crappy.
Is there any disadvantage to upping the thumbs resolution besides the files will be bigger?
I would guess that maybe they are dropping resolution to save precious RAM. maybe less an issue on 512MB models.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

blackflare posted:

Last night I built a thing to put my pi in. I repurposed an old chocolate box from christmas:

Looks good, i like the clothespin spacer

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I haven't tried OpenElec but the one thing that turned me away from it when I looked at it was that it's not based on any distro and therefore doesn't have a repository of packages that you can install if you feel it is missing anything. Raspbmc and Xbian are Debian based so you can get all the debs you want.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

YouTuber posted:

What exactly are you planning on adding here? Even with OpenElec and the Revision B RaspPi I'm practically pegging out the CPU and Ram so I can't see myself adding too many programs to it.
Does openelec have any kind of torrent management built-in?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Raspberry pi ethernet port is only 100Mbit. I would imagine it would still be quite a bit faster than reading SD. I can't say I've tried networking booting yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Since when is 10uF "super"?