Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Element 14 sent out an email with a phone number to purchase the Raspberry Pi. Called up, was told I'd have to wait about a month until it would ship. Then once I finalized the order they told me it would now be shipping 10 DEC. :| Ah well, finally committed to buying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Ebay seems flooded with Raspberry Pis (Raspberry Pi units?) now. Definitely seems worth paying a little extra to get a board in less than a week compared to over a month which may even become longer.

Cancelled my Element 14 order. Waiting that long for a board is just silly. (Though it seems many of you waited worse times for RS)

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Does anyone have a guide to hand that will run me through turning a Pi into a windows file server? :3:

I don't have my Pi yet but I assume you could just snag the Debian image from here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

And then follow a guide on how to set up a Samba server on Debian.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Haven't used my Pi in a while and today it has just a red light when I turn it on. Wondering if maybe it could've been damaged by static shock as it is at dog tail level. Red light seems to be failure to read SD, but I imaged two SD card with no luck. Guess I might need to buy another Pi? :(

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 5, 2013

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Puddin posted:

Check the SD card mount. Mine broke in one of the ones I had, they seem to be very flimsy.

Luckily mine was like 2 days old and was able to RMA it with no hassles.

YouTuber posted:

Check to make sure one of the teeth is not depressed; it appears to come up a lot. Second check to make sure all your files are there for boot loading. I had the red light when I first got mine and it turned out I was just missing a file called loader.bin or some such.

Tested the pins and tried nudging the card a little to see if that would register a difference. Apparently the SD port is really weak. :|

Guess I am going to purchase another Pi.

Is there anything I can do with a Pi without that SD reader?

Also, I purchased this case from Adafruit: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1067
It was difficult to install, extremely snug. Wondering if maybe forcing it to fit in the case put some unnecessary pressure on the components, though from inspection everything seemed ok.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

WoG posted:

Maybe solder a microsd adapter in its place?

I guess one issue is I still don't know what is wrong with my Pi. It just shows a red power light which assumes no SD card read, but it could be something else. Probably not worth the time to investigate.

Also, the SD card port isn't really damaged. The pins seem to be fine and as long as I taped the SD card adapter, it should work, except it still wont boot/read SD cards.