Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I want to use a raspberry pi 4b to play some media using Kodi. I'd use an external hard drive plugged directly into the raspberry pi for the media and want to transfer files regularly from a windows pc. If some media I want to play is more than 4gb, what's the best way to get around the fat32 filesize limitation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a dummy so ftp/ext4/ntfs all seem to have their pros and cons. Another option would be to read files directly from the windows pc, is that generally ok? The pc and raspberry pi would be connected to the same router, both with ethernet cables. If kodi on raspberry pi just "streams" from the pc, is that functional and stable enough to be a primary option?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I got my Pi4 up and running but I'm having trouble with my HDMI output. I really wanted to plug it into my 75ft active hdmi cable, but it gets a video signal not supported message on my tv. I've tried 2 different micro hdmi/hdmi adapter cables with the same results. I suspect active hdmi cable might not play well with adapters in certain circumstances? I don't have another device with a micro hdmi port to test the adapter, but the 75ft cable itself works fine without an adapter, and the Pi works fine when plugged into a nearby monitor with a 6ft hdmi cord + either adapter. Is this something Pi specific? What kind of options do I have? As for moving the Pi, I'd really rather not rely on Wifi to stream video when ethernet could be a potential option

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

Just to make sure, you tried plugging the Pi into the TV with a shorter cable and not just a test monitor, right?

large hands posted:

There's a bunch of different settings you can try editing in config.txt here. Just scroll down to the HDMI section

Thanks for the posts

I did try TV with a shorter cable, and tracked down a laptop with micro HDMI which works great, so I know all my cables are good now.

But I think I have realized what the problem is. My two displays are different resolutions. Asking libreelec/kodi to detect hardware resolution and adjust automatically was likely too much. So my plan is to plug the pi back into the 1440p monitor, adjust resolution to 1080p, then plug back into the TV. I'm at work now so I can't test this theory, but it seems very viable.

At least, this is what I'm telling myself to avoid thinking about solving some arcane compatibility problem in config.txt

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't know if my google skills have atrophied, but I'm having trouble finding a clear answer to how portable hard drives work with the raspberry pi. I have a new seagate backup plus and just want to know if the Pi 4B has enough juice to handle that ok. I won't be using usb for anything else except for maybe 1 Bluetooth receiver. Seems like the drive needs ~1.2V at load, which is the total power throughput for the Pi USB bus.

Some stuff I'm reading says to expect problems, others say it's fine, others say it depends a lot. I'm just looking for smooth media playback, nothing fancy.

If it is a problem, is there an easy solution to get the power I need. I have a USB Y cable which wouldn't help unless I plug the second end of the cord into power, which seems to be an ordeal on its own.

Any insight greatly appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

it's hard to answer definitively--motors spinning up and down have varying power requirements. anything else you have attached to the system will take power too so no single statement will hold true for every scenario. in general, a spinning motor hard drive is probably one of the most power hungry USB devices you can find... if it's a purpose built portable hard drive in an enclosure, the designers probably tried to source lower wattage and power components to work with most USB ports. but there's no requirement for them to do that and you're left in the state now where you just don't know until you try it. so give it a shot but be prepared to have to setup a powered hub just incase. or find a big SSD and be done with messing with spinning drives forever (i've never had a SSD that required a powered hub)

edit: the typical fix is to get a small USB hub that has an external power brick and plug the drive into that, then the hub into the pi

Thanks for all the quick and detailed replies, especially this one. I'll get the hub. It's a bummer to throw down another $20 on another box of electronics that should be unnecessary... but it is my fault for not thinking things through and simply getting an ac powered external drive, but there are more expensive lessons in life I suppose.