Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bug Squash posted:

I was working my pi4 pretty heavily this weekend, with it sat in the bottom piece of a pi3 case. I started getting a little thermometer appearing in the top right screen which I'm assuming was the overheating warning since the thing was roasting. I popped it out of it's case and sat it up on a couple of dice to improve airflow and it's been running fine since.

Kinda reluctant to buy the pi4 official case, since it looks like it'll have that same problem unless I invest in some heatsinks and fans. Looks like my next project is going to be planning and building a custom case.

Make it beige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pzy posted:

guess the 4GB SKU is a bit scarce at the moment...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

I ambled around my local Micro Center today and they had lots of the brand new 1 and 2gb models in stock and labels on the shelf where there had clearly once been 4gb 4s.

I don’t know if the 4gb version has sold the most so far but demand has clearly outstripped supply.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I want a stripped down Linux desktop machine to dick around learning python on (bioinformatics and data analysis stuff mostly, but the real stuff would happen on a workstation so this would be for learning) Something really small and cheap but also cool and interesting. Maybe also for old console emulation if possible. I was thinking a 4gb Pi 4 but between case and cooling and storage and everything else I’m starting to wonder if I’m not better off just building something like a mini-ATX Ryzen APU or ‘R3/R5 + cheap GPU’ build. I was hoping to make it as small and inexpensive as possible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ante posted:

100% use a real computer

Progressive JPEG posted:

Finding suitable ARM builds of everything you wanted to try out could be a pain.

cool gonna lean into it and make it all RGB and stupid

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm looking to replace an amazon firestick with something that crashes a lot less and can also stream steam games from my pc - will a pi 4 be up to that and are there any compatible remote controls available?

To pay forward the advice I got the other day- wouldn’t something like a refurb USFF/SFF Intel PC handle HTPC duty/Steam streaming quite well? It’s not an Apple TV but there’s at least as much polish as you’d get doing it with an rpi with a lot more horsepower. With an SFF you could even slap something like a 1050Ti (or something way cheaper for way less) in it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Your idea is sound except for the explicit fact that there's an official Steam streaming app for Raspberry Pi, and it's more than ample for decoding h264. If Pilchenstein was wanting to play directly ON the device in question, a SFF with a dGPU would probably be a better fit.

Ok, but what about a USFF, no dGPU? Like, once you start adding case/storage/peripherals/power supply, the RPi really stops being the value proposition for HTPC it used to be. Not when there’s like 7 years’ worth of retired intel machines out there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Those retired Intel machines are going to eat huge amounts more power than a Pi too. Assuming you max out the power draw of the Pi, it's pulling 15W, and it's capable of doing 4k@60hz video playback (h265), game streaming at 1080p (because that's all you can get out of Steam anyway), and emulation into the N64/Dreamcast era at full speed. You're dropping ~100 for that.

For a SFF Intel, you're probably talking like Sandy Bridge era for comparable cost. A machine of that era is idling somewhere between 75 and 100W, and probably in the 125 to 150W range under load without a dGPU. It can absolutely do more capable emulation, but can't do h265 hardware decoding and sure as hell can't output at 4k at any refresh rate.

There are trade-offs on both sides. For the purpose explicitly of HTPC tasks and Steam streaming, it seems to me like the better choice is the Pi 4, personally.

You show me an encoder that can do 4k@60hz realtime that isn't a truly dedicated piece of hardware, and I'll concede this one. Matrox has some dedicated cards for it, and they won't publish pricing for them. The reality is that the limit at this time for consumers is 1080p.

I agree with you on most points. To pick nits, you can get a machine with a 4th gen Core i5/i7 from 2014-2015 if you’re savvy/willing to raise your price to $120-$130 (perhaps without an SSD, so maybe set an absolute ceiling of $200 which puts it in high-spec AppleTV range though it’s much more expensive than an RPi).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

holy poo poo it’s led!!!!!!! :swoon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Ever since I was like 15 back in the 90s with the coveted Celeron 300A I wanted to do an oil immersion project

I bet you only need 4oz of cooking oil in a Ziploc bag to effectively cool one of these to infinity overclock

Wanna make a snow globe case

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrPablo posted:

I'm a bit late to this party, but I recommend a Chromebook as well.

Other folks are recommending regular Windows PCs, but I don't think that's a good idea at this point unless that's their preference or there is a Windows-only application that they depend on.

Common issues with elderly folks and technology are:
  • They don't apply security patches.
  • They don't recognize suspicious links.
  • They don't understand that it's not safe to download and install random software from internet.

This was an issue with my girlfriend's 80-year-old father, who has repeatedly ended up with malware on his laptop over the years.

A few months ago she convinced him to get a Chromebook instead, and he's thrilled with it. He can still accomplish all his regular tasks (reading the news, listening to music, watching YouTube, and sending email), and we don't have to worry about backups or security issues any more.

Added bonuses:
  • If he does manage to do something hinky we can reset the Chromebook it in a few minutes.
  • When he breaks it in 6 months he can replace it and be up and running again in an afternoon.

If you're still not convinced, here's a bonus anecdote: A few years ago 64-year-old mom decided she needed to free up some disk space and went through her C:\windows\system32\ directory and deleted all the files she didn't recognize...

Honestly I can’t imagine an older person having more difficulty switching to Chrome OS or even MacOS than loving Win10. And this is assuming they’re switching from an older version of Windows.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve been watching EC occasionally over the past year or so. Maybe the most bafflingly bad theme song I’ve ever heard on a show, YouTube or not

But in, like, a way that totally fits too. Like it’s clearly inspired by the How It’s Made song but it didn’t quite set right.

Bizarro How It’s Made

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 2, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

It reminds me of the Discovery Channel "this is what the future will be" shows I watched as a kid, circa mid-90's, with a lower production value (not a high bar to begin with). And yeah it totally works in its own weird way.

Exactly. It has a total Public Access vibe that I love

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, “a landlord did it” isn’t a particularly stellar endorsement

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That Works posted:

For the record I'm not running any power to the coop other than a temporary extension cord to get the system troubleshooted and running until solar is working.

Word, then you don’t have to bury it. Just run an outdoor extension cable to the coop across the lawn like a lazy Christmas dad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
All of the cpus I want keep selling out and I can’t keep putting off sending my MBP to Apple for 1-2 weeks for some plaguetime servicing.

How workable is a 4gb rPi 4 as a Linux desktop for word processing and looking at a bunch of PDFs (thesis writing), also some YouTube viewing and shitposting on these Dead Gay Forums?

I mainly use my phone/iPad for the latter two so it’s not the end of the world if there’s an issue there- mostly I just want to keep being able to get work done during my laptop-free time and I can get curbside pickup at my local microcenter right now, vs changing my longer term pc build plans or finagling up a loaner somehow. Also it means I could expense the rPi, of which I’ve wanted one to begin with.

Also- will I be able to access my university’s cluster from it and send jobs to it like from an x86 machine? Because that would be some rad icing on the cake.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

It would be largely doable, but you’d be better off sourcing a cheap rear end laptop or chrome book or something. Does your institution not have loaner laptops you could sweet talk from your department and/or library (‘rona aside)?

As for the connection thing, probably? Networking protocols are hardware independent by design so any limitations would likely be on the cluster’s side and not the Pi’s.

I don’t want another laptop because I already have 2 (2007 polycarb MacBook) and I’m generally quite happy with my MBP daily driver. In the longer term I’m building an actual Ryzen desktop, and I expect I’ll be able to finish that in the next couple of weeks once the supply chain churns one more time. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but it sounds like some CPUs and poo poo are gonna be shipping. But at that hypothetical point having a Chromebook or cheapo notebook will really be superfluous. Also money spent on a laptop is money I can’t spend on PC parts and other things.

Getting a loaner would mean getting into the labs and finding one from my lab specifically (like one of my PI’s). We’ve all been WFH since mid-March and getting into the labs means coordinating with somebody with bigger (faculty) access and also with security and I think with the university proper? Idk, but apparently it’s a pain. I can’t go through central IT.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 5, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Can somebody recommend me a desktop OS? I’m using the 4gb rPi4. So far I’ve looked at raspbian, Ubuntu, and manjaro but I’m a bit confused by KDE vs XFCE, Ubuntu vs LUbuntu/etc, and so on. It also seems like the only version of Ubuntu supported by canonical on rpi is Ubuntu Server, am I going to see a practical difference? Should I just stick to Raspbian?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ahahaha my low profile ICEtower arrived today and it’s glorious

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
when I can get my hands on an 8gb one I’ll put the bigblock-style one on it....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
iTunes hasn’t been DRM’ed in ages and ages, but streaming stuff might be, depending on where it’s being streamed from.

Like I wonder if a lot of iTunes Match/owned stuff isn’t being streamed from the same place and source files as Apple Music

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pzy posted:

Apple Music files are still .m4p, but if you buy the song (or iTunes Match it) it's a non-encrypted .m4a, with some customer info metadata embedded.

yeah, I remember that metadata biz when trading songs with my buddy about a decade ago. Esp right after iTunes Match came out and I swapped all of my lovely old <200 kbps mp3s for nicer AACs. Like the digital audio file version of crabs, albeit functionally harmless ones unless somebody wanted to take you to court I guess, courtesy of Apple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mdxi posted:

I used cheap aluminum heatsinks, but then mounted the Pis inside a tiny DIY windtunnel made of foam-core board. Current status is 9 days uptime at 100% utilization and:
code:
temp=47.0'C
temp=43.0'C
temp=46.0'C
temp=47.0'C

meh, no rgb

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mystes posted:

All those sites look pretty fake. Also, Spotify doesn't download files on the desktop versions at all, so there are no DRMed files to remove the DRM from and I highly doubt there are "tons of people looking for tools to remove" it. There may be third party programs to download music from Spotify, but I think that's a bit different.

Also, I said "music purchases" because I wasn't talking about streaming, but anyway, I don't think Spotify is using something similar to widevine DRM for video which attempts to prevent you from recording it on your own computer, so you can easily losslessly record the decompressed music in realtime if you want, so there would be no reason not to allow lossless music over bluetooth which is what you were saying.

real-time recording tracks from Spotify like you’re bootlegging a tape is some serious old man poo poo, I love it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KTMZLX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AOP0CH6UTUPHT&psc=1

I was going to buy this GeeekPi metal case with icetower cooler. I don't care much for the Canakit case. Just going to run emulationstation/retropie, maybe I can get that Kodi app I've had trouble with to work.

Wouldn't mind picking up the 8gb edition, installing TwisterOS, and having a good time.

gently caress a case, you’re gonna want to run that sucker nude (nah, I guess it gets excessive after a while. That case is pretty cool at probably letting some of the light shine out w/o it being all crazy and in-your-face about it)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you’re simple like me, get a USB-C cable with an integrated power switch (like $5 on Az, they market them specifically for rPis, make sure you don’t get one for a Pi 3 by mistake).

And get a big dumb ICETower, gently caress a case

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tuxide posted:

I think it depends on the program, but I know with Kodi if you want audio going through the audio jack, you gotta specifically tell it to output audio through the jack itself and not through HDMI.

The audio jack itself has historically been poo poo, so your mileage may vary on actual sound quality.

Yeah, you have to manually select the analog jack as a default audio output via options panel in every version of Linux I’ve tried. Not sure how it works with whatever ROM arcade dealie (RetroPie?) you’re using.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheesus posted:

This apparently was permanent.

I flashed last week with the pi installer, inserted into the mb, then didn't take it out when I mounted in the case. It might have slightly bent before I remembered to remove it. With everything ready for kvm today, it wouldn't recognize and no amount of Windows explorer formatting, cmd formatting, disk partitioning would change it from being seen as a 32 MB card. It was also super hot when i ejected it.

According to googling, a stack overflow suggested that if it's seen as 32 MB instead of its actual gb size, it's totally hosed.

I did this once, but then I did this:

and it was fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I used a Pi4 4gb as an ersatz desktop for a few months during 2020, first running Manjaro (which would crash once every day) and then Ubuntu (which never crashed but occasionally flubbed an update here or there)

It was a decent enough posting+YouTube (except for the videos that wouldn’t work on any browser)+general web browsing (until you have 30 tabs open like I always do) rig but that’s about it.

Also I have an ICEtower on it so it was getting the El Guapo cooling treatment for a RPi. I can’t imagine how bad the throttling or crashing would’ve been without active cooling. Probably unusable with more than like 10 tabs open

I’m sure I’d have had a much better time with 8gb, but even still I can’t imagine it doing the work of any USFF machine going back like a decade unless you literally only visit like a handful of pages and check your email and that’s it.

Also the audio would crap out a lot and require a reboot, but somebody who *gets* Linux could probably fix it.

But it was a lot of fun to do and it let me get my RGB jollies in without tarting up a “real” desktop and I recommend it as a neat challenge/project. But I can’t really recommend one as a “computer for Grandma” when there are $100-200 Optiplexes to be had on eBay. As a diversion for you or for a techie teen, definitely an awesome thing to tinker with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If they made a “Pi480” with 8gb it would probably go a long way toward being that ideal “toy” keyboard PC.

I understand the need to come in at the price point that they did, but the Pi400 is really hobbled with 4gb as a desktop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frogge posted:

I may have bit off more than I can chew, but I bought a 7" screen, pi 4, pi camera, and a micro-keyboard with touchpad with the goal in mind of slapping it all together into a mini laptop. I'm debating on whether this project needs a tiny fan and battery as well. The latter of which I have no frame of reference for how to go about it like with wiring it, etc. I have a 3D printer and plan on designing then printing a case for all of this with 3D modeling software no problem, but I kind of feel lost as far as getting this project started.

It's not something that I think will be more than a novelty to learn how to make stuff like this as I already have a laptop/phone/desktop that I do work on.

My only experience with pi stuff was a retropie that I put together by following a list online.

edit: Any pointers as far as what I ought to do next would be appreciated.

plug the stuff in and put an OS on it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
go to microcenter, buy SD card there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If that was an option :(

go to microcenter.com, buy SD card there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I mean I'm sure there are equivalent places here without resorting to cross-border shipping so I take your point, but how is this any different from buying an SD card at BestBuy, for example? Is the implication that one vets its cards and the other doesn't?

xzzy posted:

The issue is that Amazon's third party seller scheme lets them sell whatever stock shows up from anyone and if the label is the same it all gets tossed in one bin to be distributed as people buy them.

There's no proof that BestBuy does a better job but the thinking is that they only take stock from the legit manufacturer (eg, SanDisk).

In the case of MicroCenter they also sell SD cards under their own branding, so my assumption is that they have some degree of involvement and oversight in their sourcing and supply chain, etc. whereas a bigger, more hands-off retailer or sales aggregator might not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

This might be a weird question, but here goes: I have a Pi (I think it's a 3 or a 3+) that I don't use. A big part of why I didn't get into it was because it was a nuisance to have to physically plug and unplug the thing to turn it on and off. Well, I was reminded of it when I saw LGR do a video on a hobbyist mini computer which had a similar 'always powered' type thing. Well, he addressed that annoyance with a USB power adapter with an in-line power switch in it. I had no idea this sort of thing existed, though if I thought about it for even one femptosecond I should have realized that people could use those.

Before I grab something online, I got a few questions:
  • Do I need to know anything for compatibility before getting this, besides which USB end it has? My guess is no because USB is just an open standard and all it's doing is transferring power anyway.
  • This is more outside the scope of a Pi, but does anyone know if this alters the power consumption of leaving it plugged in all the time but off? I've been trying to not leave my device chargers stuck in walls to save energy both for my bill and the environment. However, this has been pretty inconvenient to keeping my phone charged, so I might consider getting something similar if it would actually be meaningfully different than the charges I already have.

You can also get switch extension cables that pop in in between your existing power supply and Pi. I got one of those for my Pi4 since I already had the brick. It’s great.

My advice is to google for one rated for your Pi. There’s tons out there marketed specifically for use with various rPis on Amazon and Adafruit and so forth, and tons that have been tried and reviewed for that purpose and will follow that search query, they’re like $4-10.

There’s always the risk of getting a counterfeit or faulty product, but shopping through a dedicated seller like Adafruit should cut down on that risk.

Regardless, any switch cable you buy should have a hundred reviews from rPi neckbeards telling you whether it’s good for you or not.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 26, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Worst case your internet sucks because you're timing out all your DNS requests before they go to the secondary, but yeah you can reboot your way to victory.

A friend of mine happened upon a legit MSRP seller of 4GB Pi4s, so he grabbed me a few and shipped them to me, the utter gem that he is. I got some of the Argon One cases and the NVMe case-bottom-thing, and I've got some off-brand SSDs in them with the BIOS reflashed to boot off USB. Works great and definitely boots faster than it did with the same image on SD. Now to decide which of my half-imagined projects I want to undertake...

lol low profile or hi profile ICETower or bust

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Okay so it look like Pi 4's are actually available again

How are PIs as a NAS? Ideally I'd want to start with 2 8TB spiny Drives..
My options are using a Pi.. or grabbing a GPU for my amd3600 and then using my aged intel 600 setup with a case to run an SAS setup.. All in I'd be like $250 (cheap case, SAS controller, and 2 used 8TB sas drives).

Pi would be about the same I'd assume. $70 for a Pi4. $20-30 for a power brick.. 3d Printed case.. +some kind of USB 3 HD enclosure and normal drives)

wouldn’t it be better to get a used/refurbished office PC for ~$100 and fill that with drives?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

just set it up with 2-4 drives in Raid (can probably just get away with 8tb of space) .. and have it sit on my network as a redundancy for my desktops / file share since I have like 5 PC's at any point and time. looking at 2 bay USB enclosures gets $$ tho. The desire to do this with a Pi is they're small. I don't have small PC parts so if I wanted to build a Nas we're looking at a small case, and a new mobo and and nad.

I mean that's the initial plan.. I"ve got an old intel system that I'd just toss in a cheap case, and upgrade my "upstairs pc" with my amd setup (would need ram and a poo poo gpu).

by the time you add a case, ram, and a gpu I think you're over the budget of a refurbed Intel Optiplex that'll run without a dgpu sucking up unnecessary power.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mewse posted:

The thing about off-lease OEM machines is that if it's SFF it's likely only got 1 hard drive bay, if it's a mid tower it's likely only got 2 hard drive bays.

Mega gamer ATX cases from pre-SSD times will usually have 4+ drive bays, because it was a simpler time, a gentler time,

yeah but you also got PCIe that doesn't have to be populated with a gpu

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Framboise posted:

Hm. Yeah, it's mostly for the sake of playing around with Linux and maybe actually learning how to use it-- I don't really need it for RetroPi purposes anymore since I've got a MiSTer and a Steam Deck now, and that was the main reason I used my original one.

What's a good micro-desktop to look into, should I take that route?

If that’s the case then you’re gonna be way, way happier picking up a refurb office PC in whatever form factor (tower to USFF) from eBay or your local marketplaces for $80-$200 and just slapping whatever Linux you want onto that.

Then you can decide later if you want to drop more cash on a new/more powerful Linux machine or you want to put a partition on your Windows PC, or whatever.

USFF Optiplex or IdeaStation or whatever will be the bee’s knees for not taking up space and being cute, but you’ll be limited to onboard GPU, whereas something bigger will give you at least some options for adding a GPU and possibly messing around with Proton gaming/etc in the future (keep in mind that office PCs usually have very little power supply headroom and might max out at like 400 or 500 watts. You can often get upgrade replacements, often OEM stuff meant for Alienware or XPS bto or whatever, and they can be cheap, but also they are usually used/grey market and that poo poo gets sketchy fast unless you’re like actually overpaying for a PSU from Dell, etc. so prolly best to stick to a relatively low power GPU).

I really like the look of SFF and low-profile cases but those limit you to low-profile GPUs at best and those can often be a bit pricey for what you get. A regular fat tower will give you the most flexibility if you plan on doing any kind of graphics upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle and a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Unbeatable performance to price ratio.

this is the way