Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
One of those e-ink displays would be super cool in a nice slim case together with the pi for displaying weather info and time/date. Are there package deals for weather station thingamajigs for GPIO? Or would a weather station be more of a completely from scratch project?

I got my first raspberry pi the other day and had a blast messing around with it before turning it into a plex media center. I have so many more ideas for cool gadgets :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

fishmech posted:

You can buy a used e-ink reader, run a basic thing to get a shell on it, and then run whatever stuff you want. Use that for your display/indoor unit while using a Pi for the outdoor unit hooked up to the sensors. It'll almost certainly be cheaper then getting a shell, separate eink screen and pi to use indoors too.

The Pi foundation has whole official instructions and sensor kit for the weather station incidentally
https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/weather-station-guide/

Oh perfect something like in that link is just what I had in mind, thanks!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

I made a thing!

If anyone remembers, earlier in the thread I asked about weather stations and people had very helpful suggestions. I mostly wanted a simple weather display that would display the current conditions and maybe a forecast. So after some looking around I ended up buying an e-ink display (a Waveshare 2.7 inch display to be exact). I bought the version that had the built in HAT so I could plop it right on top of a Raspberry Pi Zero W.

The libraries and stuff you need to get that running were all listed on the Waveshare wiki and were pretty easy to set up. So I wrote a python program that gathers and parses weather data and displays it on the e-ink. Once that was up and running I took a gorgeous piece of wood I saved from my late grandfather's workshop and made a simple wooden frame. I shaped the main block with a jig saw and drill. Then I honed it down with a chisel, some sandpaper and hell of a lot of swearing. I'm super happy with how it turned out! Here's a couple more pictures I snapped during the process. I apologize for the horrible picture quality, my phone is getting old and the camera is terrible...

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

xzzy posted:

Literally unusable due to that crooked 't' in Light.

Yea for some reason the smaller t's are a bit wonky. I finagled Arial in there so it's most likely definitely my fault, but it doesn't bother me v:shobon:v

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

mewse posted:

That's super cool, must be very satisfying to have that all put together. Is it pulling internet data?

Yea, the python program I wrote parses a .xml file from yr.no (a collaboration site between the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and the National Broadcasting Channel in Norway). They publish their weather data for free, with certain caveats. Initially I tried using openweathermap.org and their python wrapper. It worked pretty well and was easy enough to use, but they only had limited data available with their free subscription API. Using the info from Yr was a slight learning curve since I had to learn how to process xml files within python, but once that clicked it was pretty straight forward. Writing the actual code for the display was mostly trial and error placing the objects and lines and getting the right size! I probably spent about as much time as i did coding going through all their little .png icons for the different weather statuses and making them look good in black and white pixel art, to be honest.

Edit: The python script updates and refreshes the screen every 10 minutes, which is probably overkill for weather but I love watching the thing update :3:
By the way, I'd be happy to share my code or answer questions if anyone else is curious or is planning something similar!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

That's probably the best way to do it! I'll work on getting a quick how-to of what I did to, since I'm not sure how helpful the .py file is on its own.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

McGiggins posted:

Hell I'll clone it and make one. A wooden piece like that with a backlight screen (is it backlit? I know nothing of e-ink technology) would look amazing in my house.

It would be interesting to see if AUSBOM do easily scrapable data, but for a wall piece like that well worth looking in into.

No its basically like a tiny kindle screen, so no back lighting.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

I would love to make one of these. What a good idea. I'm assuming it wouldn't be hard to swap where it pulls weather data from?

Yea it's as simple as editing the url with your desired location if you have the same display. I'll have the code and a short step by step of what to do up on github later today, barring any unforeseen events!

Edit: Unless you mean using a different service like Dark Horse or OpenWeatherMap. In that case you'd have to write your own little python program.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

After I finished bug testing and had it where i wanted it I hooked up a voltimeter thing that plugs into the usb socket between the charger and the cable. IIRC it pulled 0.08 A from the charger on average (raspberry pi zero w on the wifi network). Don't think that's too bad in the grand scheme of things? I dunno if there's a way to write a linux shell puts the pi to sleep in between screen refreshes? I'm not linux savvy enough to work that out, I'm fairly new to the whole raspberry pi thing and coding in general to be honest.

Mostly this was just a fun project I did because nerd stuff is cool and I thought I'd share :shobon:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

All right, I had to do some reorganizing of the code and toss together a quick readme file. But as promised here is the weather display stuff! https://github.com/NeonSpork/weather_display

I'm fairly new to python and coding in general, so be gentle! I'm open to feedback, I'm sure there are other ways to structure the program or solutions that may be more elegant than what I've done. I'm all ears when it comes to learning how to be better at this. Just be nice about it is all I ask!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

I could have sworn I saw something along the same vein as my question mentioned recently, but I couldn't find it. Is there anything stopping me from running Pi-Hole from the same pi that's running RasPlex? Would that be a dumb thing to try?

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

In my experience PlayStation controllers are a bit fiddly if you want Bluetooth on retropie. When I tried it you could install the drivers pretty easily, but when they were active I could only get the PS4 controller to work but the other Bluetooth controllers didn't. Probably not a problem if you only have PS4 controllers, but something to consider if you mix and match Bluetooth controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

If you're just looking for a thing you can plug in between the devices that displays the volts and amps it's using for example, a device off aliexpress or ebay is probably the cheapest option. I have one I used to measure how much electricity an arduino thing i built was using that cost me approximately 1-2 bucks including shipping iirc. Think I just searched aliexpress for voltmeter or amperage meter or something similar. Maybe that will cover your needs?