Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
just ordered on of these yesterday.. looking forward to plying with XBMC and the pin outs via breadboard.

It has so much potential, im running into a brain freeze on exactly what i want to do with it atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah i think you are looking at it wrong. I for that application I would say weight is the easiest, with a moisture sensor at the top of the bowl being second.

The weigh method has the added advantage of you watching loss over time to consumption and evaporation, and knowing exact amount to fill up

Although the real easiest method would be a bowl fed by an upside down two liter bottle where the water level of a full bowl self regulates. But i like the tinkering

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Anyone managed to pick up a Pi 3 in the U.S. yet?

Mine is being delivered today.

I have zero plans for it, but lots of potential. I want to tinker with -something-

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Moey posted:

That's what I said with my original Pi. Don't me like me.

My original pi is sitting on my dresser at home. I wanna do gpio stuff, but I don't know what. Maybe I'll figure it out by ripi 10

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Details? I actually have a craptastic doorbell I need to replace, and I'm about to go down the path of replacing but hooking up a Pi to the system sounds much cooler especially if I can inject to my plex box, etc

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Got my Pi3, and a nice C4Labs case to go with it (i like the wood aspect)

The an is a nice touch, but driving it off the 5v line the fan is way to loud for a small thing, so I need to see if the 3.,3v line will work, but there are no handy 3.3v pins next to ground i can easily plug this pumper into

I ordered a GPIO cable out, breadbard, some assorted LEDs, breadboard wires, etc, as well as a 16x2 backlit display. That should provide some hours of fun learning the python interface to it all and getting back int othe swing of things. I want to try some of that 433mhz stuff and maybe eventually build nice mame table.

Gonna spend so much @ part stores

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Does the Rpi actually need a fan?

no? but depending on what I end up doing it doesnt hurt to have one for airflow. i don't think this is gonna get nearly that hot though. its unhooked at the moment.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm not interested too terribly in the rapsbian GUI, but will spend most of my time via command kine, specifically a SSH connected session to write some Python for gpio stuff.

Is raspian or rapsbian lite still the goto OS to load or is there a better alternative?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
i have a 32gb car... or maybe 16 .. way overkill, but it was cheap for a good class10 They always can get used later.

Having a last with the GPIO pins and a pack of LEDS. Reminds me of a kid trying to do the same in pure hardware w/ a breadborad. Python coding is nead when it controls the pysical world. My kids are asking for motors and wheels.

-IPV6 by default was a pain since im not using it
- fun getting a tv hooked w/ HDMI to do the initial config to get SSHD running (i know i know it was easier this way,....somehow)
- logitech wireless KB and pad combo that was on sale for $20 recently plugs right in and works. although the " and @ keys are switched somehow. THAT was fun troubleshooting with a blind password entry

- i need a bigger breadboard

- Wireless is -really- flaky. like drops after a couple min. I have a keepalive set, but trying to reconnect is no go. needs a reboot and its fine, for another few min. tail -f a kern.log doesnt show any issues.. gonna tack this one down. any ideas? The internet is talking about old addon wireless stuff .

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm using the built in RPI 3 wireless. I am screwing with gpio stuff at the time so maybe the USB cord and plug is not supplying enough. But wouldn't that happen at that moment, not power 3 LEDs off 3 GPIO pins for a couple min then drop?

I thought I did set up my KB layout. I'll have to double check

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I haven't been this is excited since getting a basic stamp decades ago.

Browsing around motors and appropriate power packs and USB power packs to prevent keeping it all plugged in.

I am really rusty at power consumption but a headless pi with minimal wifi or BT should go a long time on cheap 10kvolt packs.

I'm looking for the same to power two relatively high torque motors for robot fun.. Or maybe get servos to build a robot arm. I went from zero ideas to all the ideas. Need to troll eBay or similar for wireless control stuff too. Oh god I need more breadboard space and gpio pins.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Is there any good way to emulate a Raspberry Pi? I'm interested in doing some low-level development work for the platform but don't have the money to buy one (they go for insane prices here due to worthless currency and import fees :canada:).

Googling "raspberry pi emulation" is about as helpful as you'd imagine. Thought someone here would know if there's a way to get QEMU to emulate a BCM2835 or something.

windows?

Not sure on the quality, but in general I have better luck searching RPI <x> for the pages I refer too

What is that awesome website where people order cheap-ish electronics parts from. I'm feeling stupid

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
i finally have a reason to buy those cell phone charger packs that have 10000+mAh with 2amp output over mini usb. That will power this pi for a good while to make it portable.

Would love to find something similar for motors so im not constantly popping batteries, rechargeable or not, in a pack. Also thanks it seems that sleep mode off did the trick, been sitting SSH'ed in for a long while now and no drops, despite me being mostly .

As for parts, i was looking at adafruit for some nice controller modules, but im trolling the first page of the electronics thread for places to get big bags of components i will probably burn out, like motors,servos, breadboards, etc. amazon is only getting me so far. And no, i don;t know my requirements yet. What torque in kg/cm is needed to crush a man's skull with robot hands ?

A wii-mote controlled robot arm sounds loving baller. Controlled by gesture, and drives around based on the D pad.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I've bought more junk from deal extreme (DX.com) than I care to admit. I bought three gram scale force sensors and three force sensor drivers for under $15. They're a standard part so there's arduino and Pi drivers ready to go. Going to hook one up to my cat's pet food dish, one to their water bowl and one to a plant and have esp8266 IoT back a data feed to an API server.

this would go well with the servo controlled hose valve to automatically refill. although i await the hilarious results if you get the position wrong.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
amazon same day shipping will ruin me. got me some expanded breadboards and such, but i did forget a pin header for this 16x2 display.

using the builtin luetooth is pretty cool. Got it to find a wiimote and play around with inputs. I think using the acceleration is off the table because of needing a bigger sample rate, some averaging of samples and such to figure out exactly what the user is doing gesture wise.

It is fun to wire up some leds to respond to button presses. I wonder how close i can get it to mirror my movements with the remote ? i got basic 'left , right, etc down pat.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The Bible posted:

Could you post your script for this? I'm new to the GPIO stuff and I'd like to see an example of how you're doing this.

Here is my current gihub repo where I am starting to drop my RPi stuff. Not everything is there because I am lazy with my pushes, but my Wiimote stuff is .. wii.py

Link

I currently have it outputting the accelerometer tuple as I am going to start writing code ot average results etc. You may want to comment that line out
code:
print( wm.state['acc'])
as it wil spam your console window every .01 sec. The rest can remain as i am checking button presses. You can leave the GPIO stuff alone as it wont do anything bad. I was playing with setting LED based on presses, and will eventualy light a LED based on right/ left, etc. when i normalize the motion.

Also every guide says button 1 + 2 means pair. I never had that work, i only ever got it to connect using the sync button on the back. I commented my code to reflect that.

wit posted:

Is there any reason to get a 3 over a 2 for just basic messing around with GPIO learning things?

I know this isn't an amazon review thread, but I've read reviews of way more than one starter kit type set for pi containing breadboards seeming more like "lucky bags" with only half of the things you want and missing one or two important things. Are there any solid package deals (with or without the pi) that consistently don't screw up? I know reviewers normally only comment to trash talk and complain but is it just easier to wait and order from several other companies for all the bits and bobs?

I got This from amazon and it seems to contain everything provided. The book with it is basically useless and describes nothing well, but the components themselves in a big pack got me started. I have since got bigger breadboards, more wires, and looking for more LEDs / Switches, etc just to be cool

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

I just picked up one of the new Zebra cases that has a fan in it for my Pi3. Can you power it off of the GPIO pins? I want to say I saw that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Yes, but only because there is a 5v pin next to a ground pin the fan plug can use.

It will be noisy and not really useful unless you are pushing the pi or over clocking.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Tigren posted:

Is Amazon's $47 RPi3 the best way to get a device right now? I understand demand is high for the new release so prices are inflated and the places selling at MSRP are sold out.

Adafruit has them for slightly cheaper. I got mine for slightly more then msrp but it included a basic case from mcmelectronics.

Speaking of adafruit, I'm looking at their motor shield products, specifically the ic2 ones for arduino but they can be adapted for the RPI. Anyone have anything bad to say about their stuff? I'm going to grab a few motors and a shield to add some locomotion.

Trying to get my son involved more with construction, so I am trying to skip a kit and try building a box out of balsa wood or similar and redesigning it with each iteration to be more like what we want, vs 'look a robot we just bolted together' but I think I will go a bit nuts getting gears and ratios all separate. I can grab some motor/gear combos, but the power is bothering me.

I would love to use rechargeable but I loathe the idea of popping batteries in and out of a holder. 5v motor x 4 running loaded 250ma on 4 1.5v batteries w/ 2000mah = 2hour theoretical constant run time?

But a nicad rechargeable pack will have its own plug in solution?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Definitely do the advanced configuration and only route certain ports/interfaces through it for certain traffic rather then slow down 100℅ of your browsing

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was seriously looking hard for a modern-ish Rpi for 3d printing work, and when I saw the chance to grab a Pi Zero 2, i grabbed a couple for testing and projects.

I never used the original, but the small form factor is cool and aside from some slow SSH, its doing everything i need it too so far. I just need to grab some proper cables for connectivity

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
All long gone

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
LTT did a recent video on some good cheap alternatives to an RPi4. But what if I don't need all that processing power, any alternatives to the RPi Zero 2?

Or should I just get a beefy board and just run it really light? I have to admit I could use the extra USB ports....

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Radxa Zero and Banana Pi BPI-M2 ZERO are form factor equivalents. Radxa has a lot larger ram options and good EMMC, Banana Pi is basically the Pi Zero 2. Libre Le Potato that LTT covered is your inexpensive USB heavy option with the full size Pi footprint, the Zeros just have OTG ports that you can throw a hub on.

The fun part is finding out if it will work for what you need. Radxa works for Klipper which is what was important to me, but Klipper runs on basically anything standard linux, probably the same for the Banana Pi BPI-M2 Zero.

Yeah there's a lot of that and specifically "Good Luck" on a lot of guides if you use something other than the Pi boards that they seemed to just ignore and did a hardware comparison.

I roo want to use it for klipper but I am looking into virtual/docker server to hold my backend stuff, but I still need bare minimum for running the actual printer. But, I also need good overhead to actual handle multiple USB cameras

And a pi hole, and home automation , and cnc, etc

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

poverty goat posted:

How do I evaluate this? It was a new samsung SD card iirc

You post the symptoms you did above. They are considered a disposable commodity and are usually the first step in troubleshooting. Copy your image to a new one, or reflash a new OS and move your config over. This is why people also dabble in network boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Public PSA that an orange pi 3 lts was easy and cheap to get, and has so far been a drop in replacement for everything I ever needed it for.